Type keyword(s) to search

Jaclyn & Ryan R

• Start Topic

I like them too.  

I do think by watching the longer FYI version of the show gives you a better look at whats going on with them as their pool side conversation was much longer and indepth than was shown on A&E.  

Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the honeymoon goes and just how they are going to manage New Jersey/Long Island as that seems like a really big hurdle to overcome since Jaclyn seems tied to life in New Jersey and we know Ryan has his mom and niece out on Long Island.

Especially if you go read Jaclyn's Facebook or Twitter, I think you get a better sense of who she is. She is one of those over-the-top honest/blunt people, who can hurt people's feelings, but at least you know where you stand with her. And I get that she is a genuinely nice person, as well. I think some of what we are shown is definitely editing. She said that at the dinner, Ryan decided what he wanted to eat, and she just did the ordering. I will say, that made me feel a lot better about her, that she isn't quite so take-charge as she came across. Obviously the editors are trying to make her seem abrasive (maybe so their love story will come as a bigger surprise). 

Jinx, passthepopcorn! :D

• Love 3

Did Jaclyn have a convenient explanation about why she would slap a drink out of someone's hand shortly after meeting him? I'm also not buying her explanation of ordering, because normal restaurant chitchat does not include specifics about plating or other details.

"Hey, great menu. What are you having?"

"The cheeseburger on a sesame roll with no pickles and onion on the side."

Just no.

• Love 2

I think she's very pretty without all that make-up. Of course I don't wear any, so I believe most women are.

Make up is bad for ur skin. And in her case, it seems to age her.

• Love 1

I think Jaclyn likes Ryan's personality but physically, she thinks she can do better. However, she has been single for nearly a decade and after watching how she acted this past episode, I think she'd be lucky to find a good-looking man that is not completely turned off by her personality.

• Love 1

I think Jaclyn likes Ryan's personality but physically, she thinks she can do better. However, she has been single for nearly a decade and after watching how she acted this past episode, I think she'd be lucky to find a good-looking man that is not completely turned off by her personality.

I doubt that.

Probably needs to open up her dating pool and leave her little area.

She seems like the type of girl that gets comfortable in her one spot and just stays there. If she went out more and probably made her self open to more people she would have someone. IMHO

I doubt that.

Probably needs to open up her dating pool and leave her little area.

She seems like the type of girl that gets comfortable in her one spot and just stays there. If she went out more and probably made her self open to more people she would have someone. IMHO

I don't think she would have someone because her physical expectations are too high. I live in a bubble as well but even I can separate fiction from reality. Her ideal romance is The Notebook and she was probably looking for Ryan Gosling good looks at the end of that alter. Even Jamie admitted she was expecting a male model upon seeing Doug. I think she is unrealistic as all hell and she is far too abrasive and emasculating. I look at her and I think "unapproachable".  

• Love 2

I don't think she would have someone because her physical expectations are too high. I live in a bubble as well but even I can separate fiction from reality. Her ideal romance is The Notebook and she was probably looking for Ryan Gosling good looks at the end of that alter. Even Jamie admitted she was expecting a male model upon seeing Doug. I think she is unrealistic as all hell and she is far too abrasive and emasculating. I look at her and I think "unapproachable".  

If Jaclyn was around some black and hispanic dudes and open to it she would have someone if she wanted it. She isn't different from many women I've met and talked to. Like I said though that face is rough though, but the body is nice and she seems like she has a cool personality.

I'm just responding to what I've seen so far.  I might re-watch the episode on FYI if it includes more scenes.

I don't think Jaclyn is a bad person.  I just don't care to be around loud, abrasive, controlling people of either sex.

If she and Ryan turn out to be a truly great match, I'll be happy for them.  I'm just not seeing it.

Off topic:  I think Ryan Gosling is a brilliant actor.  I've seen most of the movies he's made.  But I think he is just
average as far as looks.

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't think Ryan is unattractive, but I'm wondering what the story is behind his front teeth. I don't know if they're veneers or caps, but they're a little large for his mouth. In one of the old photos they showed of him, he had fairly normal teeth, so I'm wondering if they've been knocked out.

Edited by charmed1
  • Love 2

There seems to be more pro-Jaclyn chatter here than in the episode threads, so my comment here is based on those other comments on her being abrasive and Ryan being passive. I wonder whether people would have a better opinion of them as a couple if their sexes were reveresed. Jacyln is quite the "gentleman," ordering for "the lady" and being the big spoon, etc. And Ryan is more like a passive, codependent "lady," smiling at the bawdy behavior and letting "the man" run the show without voicing disapproval, even if it's not amusing or appreciated. This might be exactly why they were matched up because of their extremely alpha/passive personalities. That's not to say that it's a HEALTHY dynamic, and eventually they'll probably get sick of their roles. But at the same time, a lot of marriages like this do last a lifetime if both parties are pleased with either always being in control or always taking a back seat. That being said, Ryan does already seem a bit annoyed with the bro/dude treatment. I mean if this was his Fantasy Football League partner, this dude would be a fantastic bro, but this bro is his WIFE. It seems to me that they're both trying very hard so far. Jaclyn is being demonstrative and putting her faith in the experts despite the lack of attraction, and Ryan seems to be keeping his trap shut about being friend-zoned so far as to not make things more awkward. They're all at once annoying yet fascinating to watch.

There seems to be more pro-Jaclyn chatter here than in the episode threads, so my comment here is based on those other comments on her being abrasive and Ryan being passive.

I'm keeping an open mind when it comes to this couple and their personas as I find their talking heads to be very spliced and diced--like there was one Ryan did where you can obviously hear that the words weren't spoken at the same time--I've watched the Bachelor/ette enough to know when the editors are being tricky.   So I'm just wondering how much is editing and how much is the "real" Jaclyn and the "real" Ryan.

I still think that of the three couples, they have the best chance at being together long term.  

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't get why so much emphasis is on whether Ryan  is good looking enough for Jaclyn.  He's tall, has a good body, looks great in clothes, has his HAIR, the only thing I can see is that, yea, his front teeth are not fitted correctly and badly done but that can be fixed by a good dentist so WTF is Jaclyn's deal. Oh, and I think he is a fantastic guy, has a good job and loves his family. I bet he will be a great Dad someday.  In fact, he may just be too good for Jaclyn. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 2

I don't get why so much emphasis is on whether Ryan  is good looking enough for Jaclyn.  He's tall, has a good body, looks great in clothes, has his HAIR, the only thing I can see is that, yea, his front teeth are not fitted correctly and badly done but that can be fixed by a good dentist so WTF is Jaclyn's deal. Oh, and I think he is a fantastic guy, has a good job and loves his family. I bet he will be a great Dad someday.  In fact, he may just be too good for Jaclyn. 

For me, Ryan gets more attractive each episode so the editors using the constant sound bite of her not being attracted to him is grating. I think by the end of season she will come around though.

• Love 1

I have a teeny bit of sympathy for her, though I think she's way overstating her case. Back when I was single, I made a 2-date rule for myself: I'd go out with any nice guy twice, no matter what he looked like or whether I was attracted to him. It was a way to overcome the part of me that wanted a drop-dead gorgeous man. Unless he had a stinky personality, just about every guy I dated looked a whole lot better by the end of the second date.

It sounds like Jaclyn could use a similar strategy, and since she didn't even get a chance to date Ryan R, I sort of get her. But her THs are still cringe-inducing. They're probably also producer-induced.

• Love 1

I don't really get the idea that she doesn't think he is attractive but that there wasn't a "spark" right away (no chemistry). You can have a very attractive person in front of you but not feel that "spark."

• Love 1

I know I have slammed Ryan in other threads as a gavone but truthfully the guy has grown on me since last week and maybe he will grow on Jaclyn too.  I don't think she was so much against him as not particularly for him right away.  It could just be that she needs to feel it and somehow she didn't feel it with him immediately, but it may not have been because he was a total mismatch and a definite "no" but because she just hadn't warmed up to him yet.  I have to remember that this is just such a totally different situation than most relationships and so there's really no set way for them to begin and eventually succeed.   I wish them all the success in the world.

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm not a fan of self absorbed Jaclyn. I know we don't see every bit of interaction but from what we've been shown, I have yet to see her consider how her actions and words affect Ryan or anyone else.

Yes, Jaclyn, we know you're an expert at everything and therefore must lead on the dance floor, order for both of you and decide to degrade Ryan while teaching him to swim.

And I don't buy the story about her being celebate For 2 years. Is a woman so obsessed with sex likely to choose celibacy?

Edited by lenny
  • Love 1

Half the women from the NYC area would probably seem reminiscent of Leah Remini to someone not from NY, including myself!

And I don't buy the story about her being celebate For 2 years. Is a woman so obsessed with sex likely to choose celibacy?

I buy it, if she's been through it all and just wants to settle down with the right guy.  And the way she is acting with Ryan is consistent with a woman who hasn't been with anyone in a long time and has to get back in the sensuous zone.  As a woman I relate to that.   She is acting like a woman who has shut the sexual side of herself off after being around the block and tired of the game and just wants to wait for a nice guy to settle down with.  I know a lot of women who have done that, including myself.

• Love 1

I don't really get the idea that she doesn't think he is attractive but that there wasn't a "spark" right away (no chemistry). You can have a very attractive person in front of you but not feel that "spark."

She said over and over again ad nauseum that she was not "attracted" to him. She also said she was disappointed when she first saw him. I hope she gets over herself. I thought he was sexy when he was showing her how to golf! 

• Love 1

She said over and over again ad nauseum that she was not "attracted" to him. She also said she was disappointed when she first saw him. I hope she gets over herself. I thought he was sexy when he was showing her how to golf! 

It sounds like the same line over and over that they keep replaying about her not being attracted. They never show her face when she says it. The editing is superbly bad on all three couples this season. I hate that they're trying to stir up drama and not doing a good job at it. 

It sounds like the same line over and over that they keep replaying about her not being attracted. They never show her face when she says it. The editing is superbly bad on all three couples this season. I hate that they're trying to stir up drama and not doing a good job at it. 

I was just about to say that, we never, ever see Jaclyn's face when that sound bite of "I'm not attracted to him" is aired.  She probably said it once or twice very early on and now that she and Ryan are in the "get to know you" phase of their relationship with swimming, golf, and salsa lessons and then hanging out at the beach, the "drama" really isn't there for the editors so they are running with some old sound bite.   And that's a pity as it seems like their story is an interesting one, with Ryan being patient with her walls and Jaclyn learning how to be part of a couple again after many, many years of being alone.  

• Love 1

I guess she's paying homage to her Indian roots with the thick black eyeliner. I didn't even know she was half Indian before this episode. What was the other half?

• Love 2

I find Ryan to be very attractive. Everyone in this show is attractive. I even thought Doug was good looking in the first season. Compared to all of us regular folks, they are pretty blessed in the looks department

• Love 1

Jaclyn said she has an Italian grandmother.

I think she was hurt at Ryan's attitude when they were making Christmas plans. I am torn about this - on one hand, she has not treated him like a husband and not talking just about sex, so maybe he doesn't feel like they are married. But he keeps saying he wants to give it his all, and the way he said that the holidays and his routines are more important than her was just wrong. It was hurtful.

I feel that I need to retract my statement about Jaclyn and Ryan from last week. They both really grew on me this week. He does seem like a genuine caring person, and she really does seem to be giving the relationship a real chance--toning down the bros a bit.

• Love 2

Jaclyn said she has an Italian grandmother.

I think she was hurt at Ryan's attitude when they were making Christmas plans. I am torn about this - on one hand, she has not treated him like a husband and not talking just about sex, so maybe he doesn't feel like they are married. But he keeps saying he wants to give it his all, and the way he said that the holidays and his routines are more important than her was just wrong. It was hurtful.

I don't think he was saying his traditions were more important but honestly, his niece SHOULD come first. That is something he absolutely can not change but then they cut to Jaclyn's face which looked disappointed? Ugh, editing. They can spend time together after. Not a big deal. Shopping on Christmas Eve is weird. I have a feeling this will all be a non-issue come next episode. 

• Love 1

If they are married, they should spend the whole holiday together. What he said was, I'd like to be with you but.....

You are right about putting his niece first and Jaclyn should realize that. I think you are right that this won't be a big issue for them judging from the preview.

• Love 1

Guys, bugger me sideways.

I can't believe what I saw on Tuesday. After what I saw, I'm actually convinced these two will be the happiest couple. I can't believe it. Jaclyn is kind of a genius in her slow, almost methodical approach to this marriage. It's working far better than any of the other two. Jessica and other Ryan just scare me now.

• Love 3

I think Ryan needs to compromise a little.  His niece is not a baby anymore, (in fact, isn't she a teenager?) they could work something out.  And shopping with his brother well, that's a nice tradition, but when you get married sometimes you have to give things up. My husband and I are from opposite coasts so we both couldn't have Christmas the way we always had it before and that was ok.  You have to make your own traditions.

• Love 1

I have the confidence in them that they'll work out the holiday visit schedule.  I don't see either of them not realizing how they can do it without any conflict.  It might be obvious to all of us that he could go shopping with his bro. earlier in the day and have Christmas eve at night with Jaclyn and her family, then spend Christmas day with his mom and niece, but not so obvious to them right off the bat.  I figure I've had many years of experience making this kind of compromise and so it's second nature to me.  Not so for two single adult people who have to learn how to do it.  Wow, I'm getting choked up as I write this - It's actually inspiring to watch them go through what millions of couples have to go through as they learn to compromise.  I wish we had shows like this when I was young.  I would have seen that other people have to face similar compromises in their relationships.  I didn't really have any comparisons.  I was an only child and my best girlfriends didn't get married (one actually became a nun).  My husband's sister got everything her way so that was no example for me to learn from either.   Plus my Dad's parents were dead and he was an only child too.  But hubbie and I worked it out because we loved each other and had a good sense of give and take.  I see that quality already in Ryan and Jaclyn's relationship.  What I worry about though, is how they will handle their living arrangements.  That might be a more difficult compromise to make so early in a relationship.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 2

IWhat I worry about though, is how they will handle their living arrangements.  That might be a more difficult compromise to make so early in a relationship.

I agree, Of all the hurdles they are facing, their living arrangements is by the far the biggest as his job is tied to Long Island and hers in New Jersey.   I guess they could find a half way meeting place but still, its going to be a big, big decision for a couple just trying to find their way.

Also, I find the exclusive clips FYI puts up on their website to be quite revealing as its obvious Jaclyn and Ryan did the talking head bits much later, maybe even around decision day as Ryan's hair is shorter.    The latest clip talks about Jaclyn's use of the word bro and not moving forward enough for Ryan and he did finally speak up at the end of the Honeymoon:

http://www.fyi.tv/shows/married-at-first-sight/videos/jaclyn-taps-in-to-her-inner-bro

Jaclyn is full of BS with that remark about someone having to be dominant in a relationship.  I'm sure her
assumption that she needs to be in the driver's seat hasn't worked out in the past. I guess the concept of
a partnership is alien to her.

She does have the introspection to see that what she is doing is giving this marriage no chance
of success.  But knowing you are wrong and changing your behavior are two different things.

I think she does have a softer, warmer side and I hope she lets that shine through.

And Ryan needs to stop being a docile doormat who isn't speaking up for himself. If he is attracted to
the "firecracker" type, that's fine, but he needs to display his extinguisher if she goes too far.

I guess this is the couple that is being edited as this season's Doug and Jamie.  So, it will be interesting
to watch them.

Next season, I hope they match a Plain Jane with a hot guy.

Next season, I hope they match a Plain Jane with a hot guy.

I don't know if that would have much chance of working out.  I would think it would take more time for someone good looking to warm up to someone not that good looking on a show that basically puts the cart before the horse by marrying them first.  And they only have 6 weeks to decide on whether it will work or not.  Usually things work out best when the couples are pretty evenly matched looks-wise unless they have the chance to know each other better first.

I don't know if that would have much chance of working out.  I would think it would take more time for someone good looking to warm up to someone not that good looking on a show that basically puts the cart before the horse by marrying them first.  And they only have 6 weeks to decide on whether it will work or not.  Usually things work out best when the couples are pretty evenly matched looks-wise unless they have the chance to know each other better first.

I agree.  And you have to wonder just how quickly Jaclyn's crush on Ryan would have developed if he had been some bald, homely guy.   The fact that he's got a great body and a full head of hair, along with being a patient, nice guy makes it alot easier for feelings to develop in the very short time frame they are working with.

And thinking back to the casting special, wasn't that photographer not cast cause the one girl who was his "match" was deemed not to be hot enough?

They said he was picky, he did seem to have a great opinion of himself. No one that he was attracted to was interesting enough for him or something like that. They were afraid he wouldn't be attracted to her.

I agree.  And you have to wonder just how quickly Jaclyn's crush on Ryan would have developed if he had been some bald, homely guy.   The fact that he's got a great body and a full head of hair, along with being a patient, nice guy makes it alot easier for feelings to develop in the very short time frame they are working with.

You're right, although initially I did not find Ryan attractive at all myself.  In fact I thought he was a "gavone" and his weird teeth annoyed me.  Plus I thought his hair was outdated and his accent annoyed me.  That said, it's amazing even to me that after only a couple of weeks of watching him I have turned around 180 degrees on this guy, LOL.  I think it's very true that especially where women are concerned, a guy's personality can make a huge difference in whether she finds him attractive or not.  Ryan's personality has won me over completely and voila, I now find him attractive and not a gavone at all, or if he is one, he's a loveable one, LOL.

• Love 4

I don't think Ryan is that bad of a guy. Like looks wise. I think Doug from last season was far less attractive. I actually thought most of the guys this season weren't bad looking.

Onto Jaclyn and Ryan. I like them as a couple and want them to work out. In the previews she was super cute! I can't wait to see what happens with them. I like them the best out of all of the couples.

• Love 3