Type keyword(s) to search

Killian Jones/Captain Hook: One Handed Pirate With A Drinking Problem

• Start Topic

(edited)

Your IT people finally caught onto you, pezgirl7. ;)

Hah I wouldn't doubt it. They probably monitor what we do, and they do block some sites, but I can still get on tumblr and 'like' posts, but when I hit reblog, nothing happens. And my tablet at home wouldn't turn on last night. What a bad time for technical difficulties. :)

Watching the trailer again, my biggest issue is that the main actress doesn't seem like that great of an actress. But I'll give her the benefit of the doubt since it's hard to tell from just a few scenes edited together.

Edited by pezgirl7

Tumblr's not bad if you just follow a few good blogs and don't get tempted to venture into the tags. :)

I do have tumblr on my iphone, so I guess I can use that. I keep forgetting about it!

(edited)

So is there such a thing as beard/mustache extensions or did they really make him grow a beard for some scenes and wax it all off in others only just in time for the Killian Jones perma-5o'clock shadow?

Colin sounds the same as he did in The Rite. Not sure what kind of accent it's suppose to be, but there's so many different kinds of US accents, it doesn't really bother me.

I don't know... I thought he sounded very natural in The Rite, even with the wandering regional American accent. It was hinted that he went away to study for a time, and I have personal experience with catching contagious accents in under a year, so it didn't bother me then. In the Dust Storm trailer, I wondered if he was going for a Southern accent but couldn't get rid of the clippyness of his natural accent.

But I swear I watched a documentary way back about I think mollusc harvesting...and one of the speakers there alternated between (to my ear) general English and a general Statesian accent with every other word. And I was pretty sure she wasn't faking one and failing to fake the other, it was more like she naturally could not pick just one of those accents to say an entire sentence with. So, if that happens naturally...

The plot is not very original (there are like a thousand CS AU fan fictions with the same plot)

I looks like Before Sunrise and Before Sunset squished into one movie. I didn't get to watch Before Midnight.

But there must be a thousand AU fanfictions with the same plot regardless of ship or fandom. Childhood friendship turns into a reincarnation romance. Set it in high school. Retell it on the Titanic. Arranged marriage angst. Add one vampire.

I hope it gets some good reviews, at least Colin's performance, so he can get some meatier roles in the future.

Hear, hear!

Edited by Faemonic

Because of the drawn out vowels and hard R's, I thought he sounded like he was from somewhere out east, but not New England. I didn't really catch any kind of southern accent, and I watch Nascar coverage every week, so I'm pretty familiar with all kinds of southern accents. :)

• Love 1

So is there such a thing as beard/mustache extensions or did they really make him grow a beard for some scenes and wax it all off in others only just in time for the Killian Jones perma-5o'clock shadow?

He grew it and then shaved it off mid-filming. Here's a photo of him after he arrived in Nashville last year right before he started shooting.

Colin+O+Donoghue+Samsung+Galaxy+Artist+L

And I can't help it but I feel like the accent is a little off, especially in that first scene in the bar.

(edited)

And I can't help it but I feel like the accent is a little off, especially in that first scene in the bar.

I adore Colin and will happily see this movie, but yeah, his American accent isn't the strongest. That really surprises me, actually -- he's a very good actor and has a musician's ear, so I'm not sure why the accent seems to give him trouble. FWIW, I haven't seen The Rite, so I don't know if it was any better there. I'm so used to actors from the U.K., Ireland, and Australia doing excellent American accents that it's a little jarring when someone doesn't get it right.

Heh. Colin actually is human after all!

Edited by Scovies
  • Love 1

I thought his very first line in the trailer was jarring as well. But even the girl saying "You're turn!" was strange also.

FWIW, I haven't seen The Rite, so I don't know if it was any better there.

Here's a clip from The Rite. He's wearing a tank top, so win win.

• Love 1

I adore Colin and will happily see this movie, but yeah, his American accent isn't the strongest. That really surprises me, actually -- he's a very good actor and has a musician's ear, so I'm not sure why the accent seems to give him trouble.

At least it's passable. He could probably have a stronger American accent if he practiced more with a vocal coach, but since he's using a generic British accent on Once all the time, he doesn't get much opportunity to practice the American accent.

And some people just have a terrible time mimicking accents (see: me). I can hear other accents and note their vowel differences very easily, but when I try and mimic it myself, my brain can't communicate with my mouth and it sounds like I'm doing a weird mashup of Foghorn Leghorn and Edna Mode. It doesn't matter what accent I'm trying to do, it always sounds like that.

And some people just have a terrible time mimicking accents (see: me). I can hear other accents and note their vowel differences very easily, but when I try and mimic it myself, my brain can't communicate with my mouth and it sounds like I'm doing a weird mashup of Foghorn Leghorn and Edna Mode. It doesn't matter what accent I'm trying to do, it always sounds like that.

Ha! I wonder if the fact that I know he's Irish is coloring my opinion of it. I remember being shocked when I found out that Idris Elba was British, but now when I go back and watch old episodes of The Wire I can hear his accent slip through every now and then.

(edited)

Finally watched the trailer with the sound turned on. It looks like it'll be a decent movie. The romantic plot seems generic, but who cares... :-p

Yeah--Colin's accent seems to be a little off, but that doesn't bother me. Is this movie getting a limited theatrical release? Any idea on the release date?

Edited by Rumsy4

So my 2nd chance tank (the L) arrived today, and, wh'd'yaknow, it actually fits better than the other one (the XL). I wore my Granny's Diner T to the fair last night, and the guy at the lemonade stand asked me about it. I started to explain, and the girl working with him mentioned that she'd started watching OUaT, but was only on the first season.

Hey - finally checking back in about the Keb Mo concert. I had terrible wifi in my hotel last night and was traveling all day. Anyway, I already left an account of the concert on my Tumblr account and a few videos on Twitter. The concert had a very laid back and fun atmosphere. It was great to see Colin so excited. After playing his first song, Keb Mo was complimenting him on his way back to his seat and Colin gave him the double thumbs up :). Anyway, as I mentioned, I didn't feel comfortable approaching him while he was with his friends, so we didn't try to get a photo or autograph or anything. Colin is as handsome as you would think in person, but he's much smaller than I thought he would be. Sean looked good and was laughing and joking around. And I've realized photos don't do Liam justice - he's gorgeous! Anyway, it was a great time and I'm so glad I went. 

As for the trailer, I have to say that I think Colin looks great and I'm so happy for him, but like others I wasn't sure about the accents or the dialogue. I'm sure I'll see it to support Colin, but not thrilled with the storyline. I feel like we get enough angsty Colin on Once - not sure I need an entire movie of it.

• Love 9
just the day-to-day barely bothering with the people in her life who actually care for her while she gets caught up in Regina's quest for a happy ending, or dragging her feet on getting into a relationship with Hook in part out of guilt over messing up Regina's happy ending.

It has nothing to do with Regina as much as the scene itself when Emma and Hook are in the woods after the snow monster episode and she tells him that she can't think about them because she feels too guilty about what happened with Regina.

Hook has always called Emma on her BS (the lies she tells herself mostly), and we never really talk about it but he has a very strong lie/bullshit detector.  He knows when someone is not being on the up and up with him.

Hook has always called Emma on her BS (the lies she tells herself mostly), and we never really talk about it but he has a very strong lie/bullshit detector.  He knows when someone is not being on the up and up with him.

I'm not sure that's strictly true. He knows when EMMA is lying to him or trying to pull the wool over his eyes.

Zariel completely snowed him. I can't think of anyone else that tricked him at the moment. He does get Emma though.

• Love 1

I'm not sure that's strictly true. He knows when EMMA is lying to him or trying to pull the wool over his eyes.

Zariel completely snowed him. I can't think of anyone else that tricked him at the moment. He does get Emma though.

True, but the Zariel reveal actually had one my favorite moments for Hook, even though it's fairly minor. When she threatens to make Rumple kill Emma if Hook doesn't kiss her, he immediately called bullshit and explained in detail that he figured out Zelena can't/won't kill Emma. It was a nice bit of dialogue that showed he's actually got a brain in his head. So often on this show we get characters who act stupidly just to service the plot (and to be fair, Killian's been a victim of that as well).

• Love 4
(edited)
Zariel completely snowed him.

Isn't that because of overwhelming guilt though?

he immediately called bullshit and explained in detail that he figured out Zelena can't/won't kill Emma. It was a nice bit of dialogue that showed he's actually got a brain in his head.

This is one of my favorite scenes actually.  The way he called her out was pretty awesome.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 2

Oh, I am quite sure he is intelligent, you can't become a navigator in the old days without being bright and educated.

I was talking about instinctively catching a lie or BS. He had no way to know Emma wasn't concerned about more than her guilt about Regina, he knew because he knows Emma but I see no indication he has a lie detector like Emma's for other people's BS unless he can reason it out as in the case with Zelena's threat.

Oh, I am quite sure he is intelligent, you can't become a navigator in the old days without being bright and educated.

I was talking about instinctively catching a lie or BS. He had no way to know Emma wasn't concerned about more than her guilt about Regina, he knew because he knows Emma but I see no indication he has a lie detector like Emma's for other people's BS unless he can reason it out as in the case with Zelena's threat.

He knew Rumple was lying to Belle about the dagger, for another example. He doesn't have superpower-levels of lie detection, but he's shown to be a bit more savvy than the average OUAT cast member.

• Love 2

I had forgotten about that, I suppose I wish he'd shown as much intelligence the rest of the season and hadn't blackmailed Rumple the second time. Now that was handing him the idiot ball. smh

When he blackmailed him for the hand I so wanted to reach in the tv and slap him upside the head, idiot.

• Love 1

Question: does being good at lying/tricking people automatically make people better at detecting lies?

Depends on the plot.

even though Hook has tricked her before, he's never used his instinctual knowledge of who she is and how she thinks to manipulate her.

Beanstalk: She told him she was in love once. He turned the flirtation and compliment up until the dial broke. Ended with him chained to a giant's tower as she almost-tearfully stammered, "I can't take the chance that I'm wrong about you." After he chilled out a bit, I would like to think he realized that he'd messed up there and that pressing Emma Swan's hot-button issues would create a new ship: Backfire/Horribly.

It's interesting that the more recent times he's tried to lie about things (like his past with Ursula) have been way less convincing, probably because he was talking to Emma.

That fits. I was so frustrated with Hook at the end of the Un-Curse episode when he didn't lead with, "Your mother and father are in danger, and Neal. He knows them. I know them all. Want to know why I know all that?" But he couldn't be as good a manipulator as he was with stealing Aurora's heart (still a huuuge dick move, but I have to say it was clever) because that would have gotten in the way of the plot and pacing. At least it gels with his characterization, if Captain Smitten Kitten really loses his dick move skills. Except for maybe eventually in the literal sense, ahem.

It's interesting that the more recent times he's tried to lie about things (like his past with Ursula) have been way less convincing, probably because he was talking to Emma.

I think not wanting to lie to someone makes you a very lousy liar at the end of the day.  He knew Ursula was there and that they would bump into her.  There was even a possibility that she might approach Emma and decide that she would tell her what Hook did all those years ago.  I'd think Hook would have a story ready to cover his ass, but he didn't, which at the end of the day means that he really did not want to lie to Emma but was scared enough of her reaction to what he had done that he chose to go down the I don't remember her road.  She's a sea monster.

• Love 2

I think a lot of what's going on with both Emma and Hook is that because for much of their lives they haven't had a great support network and have felt like they were fending for themselves and didn't know who they could trust, they both developed the ability to read people as a survival skill. Emma turned it into a defensive shield, so she shuts down when she gets the sense she can't rely on someone or when she's getting mixed signals. Hook often uses it as an offensive weapon, whether to get past someone else's defenses by spotting their weakness (like he does with Rumple) or by manipulating them into doing what he needs them to do and making them think it's what they want to do. Hook started out with Emma that way, reading her like a book and then using that on her to try to win her over, but by the time they were at the top of the beanstalk, he really did like her, and I got the sense that he was totally genuine about his reactions to what she did there when he talked about how brilliant she was. But that read like mixed signals to Emma, since he wasn't entirely sincere at first and he had lied, so it was safest for her to go with the default of not trusting.

Now that they know each other, I suspect they both know they can't get away with anything with each other because they both read each other too well. The best they can hope for is withholding information rather than lying, and at least being honest about the fact that they're not telling. Hook doesn't want to manipulate Emma because he wants whatever he gets from her to be real, and he sometimes errs on the side of caution, like in waiting to tell her about the Jolly Roger and the bean. He seems to have not told because he knew the effect it would have, and he wanted that effect without the huge gesture skewing the results.

• Love 5
I think not wanting to lie to someone makes you a very lousy liar at the end of the day.  He knew Ursula was there and that they would bump into her.  There was even a possibility that she might approach Emma and decide that she would tell her what Hook did all those years ago.

To me, it was just a clunky way to delay the reveal of Ursula's backstory until the fourth episode of the arc.  Ursula was clearly not out for vengeance or she would have done something, anything, to get back at him.  I'm not even sure why she was a villain.  Hook was probably afraid Emma would be disappointed in him but hello, the witch is in town and it's better you tell than she does.  The same dumb reason existed for dragging out the egg baby secret.  In the bigger picture, it extends the same pattern they've written multiple times.  Hook not telling Emma about cursed lips in 3B.  Hook not telling Emma about being blackmailed in 4A.  Those times he didn't tell because Emma was in danger, but this time, that wasn't even the case.  The only good thing that came out of it was that Hook was able to understand why Snowing kept the secret from Emma, and he tried to talk her into forgiving them.  Though it didn't make all the secret keeping any less frustrating to watch.

• Love 1
The only good thing that came out of it was that Hook was able to understand why Snowing kept the secret from Emma, and he tried to talk her into forgiving them.

That was a pretty good scene actually.  Explaining to Emma what Snowing did and the reasons for it applied to things he did.

I think Snowing would be fucked in both sense of the word if Emma hadn't reconciled with them before she became the Dark One.

Hey - for those not on Twitter or Tumblr, I was finally able to post a full video of Colin's first song with Keb Mo at the Vancouver concert. It's great to see him so happy and relaxed. It's almost as if he forgets about the audience and just gets lost in the performance. You can tell music is truly a passion for him and he's extremely talented. And on a shallow note, he throws in a couple hair flips for good measure. Enjoy!

• Love 8

So there's a discussion going on about Hook and darkness in the spoiler thread and it got me wondering.

What is darkness for Hook exactly?  When we met Hook, he was part asshole, part vengeful, part didn't give a shit who he hurt, including himself so long as he got what he wanted.  He was also very selfish.

He slapped Belle and later shot her (which I think it's one of the worst things he's done if not the worst).

He killed that black knight.

He stole the magic bean.

He almost killed Blackbeard if he hadn't been stopped by Ariel.

He probably stood by while Cora wrecked havoc on Safe Haven.

He held a gun at Ursula

He wasn't very nice to Rumple pre-Dark One, but that was him being an asshole more than being a villain.

He tried to kill Rumple.

Am I missing something from the list?

Without excusing Hook's actions, his darkness was pretty mild compared to Regina or Rumple.  

So my question is, if Hook goes dark for whatever reason, then what is this darkness going to be?

I've always viewed him as a villain-lite or minorish villain honestly. The same level as Ana from Wonderland (Jafar was far worse than her). Also, he's a pirate. And before anyone chews me out, I know that doesn't excuse his actions. I honestly don't mind the almost-killing Blackbeard part though because they are both pirates, and making people walk the plank into shark infested waters is just what they do. *shrugs*

You could add being jerky to and blackmailing Rumple in season 4 to the list (whether Rumple deserved it or not). Stealing cake for Pan? Although he could have paid for the supplies (or not). Same with doing other vague stuff for Pan. Like, we can't even categorize that stuff because it's so vague. >_<

Shooting Belle was probably one of the worst things he did, and he wasn't even trying to kill her for real. It was still cruel and bad (I'm not excusing it; Belle certainly didn't deserve it) but he could have killed her for real if he had wanted to.

I really don't know how much more dark he'd go though.

Edited by HoodlumSheep

If there is someone who pushes Emma over the edge to Darkness, his first impulse may be to take revenge and punish that person. He behaves recklessly when he gets angry, and tends to lash out.

Edited by Rumsy4

I agree what he has done (his villainy) doesn't approach the levels of Regina and Rumple by far, and that was what made him more possible to redeem in the first place.  To begin with, his main vendetta was against another villain, Rumple.  Unlike most of the Disney animated villains, who were targeting an innocent party.  Secondly, he also hasn't directly killed any innocent civilians.  

However, he was a villain in the sense that he was willing to hurt and maybe kill an innocent to get to his aims.  It looked like he was about to kill Belle before he was stopped by Regina in the flashback.  Cora could also very well have murdered Aurora after being done with her.  To me, the two worst things he did were the following.  First, it was standing by in the Safe Haven massacre by Cora.  Yes, there was probably nothing he could do since Cora had magic.  But at the same time, he hasn't been shown to struggle with it at all and it has never been mentioned again.  If he's having nightmares about matters of conscience, it should be about this, even moreso than not helping Ariel find Eric.  The second major transgression to me, was his willingness to let everyone in Storybrooke die in the Season 2 finale.  Yes, he turned back, but even considering it and sailing that far in the first place was on a whole other level of depraved selfishness.  Fine, if he wants to save himself, he could have thrown the bean onto Main Street, and jumped in, providing a chance to save at least some of the townspeople.  But to sail away, condemning innocent men, women and children to die?  Because of the love of the Jolly Roger?  That was despicable to me.

I would say though that the levels of remorse he has shown over Ariel and Ursula does allow me to think maybe in Offscreenville, those other issues were addressed, as I drift into A&E's lala land.

Edited by Camera One

I feel like the village massacre thing is almost similar to the Baelfire/Pan situation. He could have done something (and he was willing to in Baelfire's case), but he would have been offed a second later. He was shown to feel guilt for the Baelfire situation, so we could assume there would be guilt over the village thing. It probably occurred in off-screenville, or it's been shuffled in with all of the self-loathing Hook has done the past 2 seasons.

The second situation, yeah. It was pretty bad. But at least he turned around at the end of the day.

I think Hook's darkness could come from isolation, in the sense that perhaps team Nevenger parts ways over how to help Emma. He won't really have anyone there to pull him back from the edge if he's tempted. I think the people who might help him in that circumstance might be either Charming or (forgive me) Regina, or Belle. Those people will be occupied with their own drama, though.

Edited by OnceUponAJen

I'd be fine with Charming or Belle helping him, even Henry, or Snow would be a nice surprise (but they'd probably never think of the latter). Anyone but Regina (I'm perfectly happy with them hardly ever sharing screentime, thank you very much).

He probably would feel very isolated.

The tired old trope is going to be a fake-out that Hook will go "dark" to save Emma, but in the last moment, he makes the right decision, and surprise, it's Snow and Charming who tsk tsk does the dishonorable thing, cue Snowing whispering "What have we done?!" and then fade out.

I would like to see Belle reach out for Hook if he's tempted, mainly because I always like for Belle to have an opportunity to do things other than enable Rumple. And because her little smile over her shoulder at Hook/Emma as she was unlocking the library door in the opening to 4B was adorable.

Speaking of Belle, I've always thought that the darkest Hook sequence by far is the one where he kills the black knight to get to Belle in Regina's prison; is about to murder Belle for declining to help him kill Rumple when Regina interrupts; and makes a snide remark about not recognizing the corpse of the knight he killed because his hook is no longer in the body.

I was interested when there was a comment in the morality thread that Ursula's voice was promoted as the worst thing Hook had ever done. Not that stealing Ursula's voice was nice, but the Hook we saw in those flashbacks was far more conflicted/nuanced/sane than the single-minded vengeful Hook we saw out for Belle's blood. 

• Love 2
However, he was a villain in the sense that he was willing to hurt and maybe kill an innocent to get to his aims.

That is very true.  He decided that collateral damage to get his revenge was okay and it's not.  

Ok, so the question basically stands. The character has progressed a lot on his way to redemption since he turned his ship around at the end of season 2.  The closest to "dark" Hook has gone in season 4 was trying to impale Rumple with his Hook in episode 4x04 and holding a gun on Ursula.  I'm not going to count putting the Apprentice and the fairies in the hat against him at this point.

If Hook as some people seem to be worried about goes dark, what would that look like?

Hook has no magic, so it's not like the scales are tipped in his favor or anything like that.  And I don't see him trying to murder people left and right for shits and giggle because he certainly seems to have moved on from that.  If he does something ridiculous, they can throw his ass in jail, push him over the town line where he wouldn't be able to come back...there's a number of things they can do to punish him.

Yeah, he can be/is conning, he can manipulate and blackmail with the best of them, but that's not what I would qualify as dark, that's just him being stupid people and a jerk.

I'm having a bit of a hard time figuring out what he would do in his darkness and why he would even cross over into that territory again.  He has no one to avenge, he has no enemies to speak of (unless someone shows up in the meantime or Rumple because that story is far from over imo).  The only thing he should be doing is figuring out a way to destroy the Dark One without destroying Emma.  Technically, his greatest enemy now lives inside of her and his mission is kind of clear.

Does going dark allow him freedom to do things to get the Dark One out of Emma that reformed Hook would not consider doing anymore?

Also, is there a small possibility that the the connection between Hook and the Dark One could run much deeper than we think it does?  This is at least the 3rd Dark One in his lifetime.  That part sort of makes me wonder.