Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: St. Mark's

First Kelly Ripa last week, then Patricia Clarkson this week (among others over the season).  They are pulling in GREAT guest stars who aren't afraid of committing to the story/bit. So glad they're getting a 3rd season (or so I've read).

On the down side personally, this ep made me nostalgic for late nights wandering the East Village with my sister in the late 90s & early 00s.  We're both too old & obligated for that now.  I never ran into a "tree guy" but definitely did "bird on the shoulder guy".

Edited by Lizzing
  • Love 3
(edited)

Ha, I loved when Ilana said that so sincerely. That 35 year old "kid" reminded me of some of the "homeless" teens who hang out in Berkeley. A friend of mine recognized one of the them as a classmate of his from Palo Alto when his mother came and picked him up in her Mercedes. He said this guy (who was in his late 20s) would sit on Telegraph begging for change during the day and then go home to his nice upper middle class neighborhood every night for dinner, a shower, clean clothes, and a comfy bed to sleep in.

I also loved Ilana and Abbi's funeral plans. Just the fact that they have put so much thought into what they want is hilarious and awesome.

Sad face because I miss Lincoln.

I could not believe the awfulness of that guy's play. Good lord. No wonder Ilana was willing to skip a birthday dinner at her favorite place just to escape them.

Abbi's blanket was sweeeeeeeeet.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
That 35 year old "kid" reminded me of some of the "homeless" teens who hang out in Berkeley.

Outside of Raleigh's before it burned down. My friend bitched them out once, but that is so true. They all live in fucking Kensington. I knew that the 'kid' would be from that type of house. 

I can't believe they showed a girl peeing openly. How do the CC censors not pick up on that?! 

I like throughout the season how either if Abbi or Illana has a rash idea, the other takes a second to figure out what's going on and then just rolls with it. Throwing the wine was a little much, she should have actually just spilled it on herself, but I agree that they had to get out of there. How awful.

Abbi chewing Illana out at the boat with the "your mother died *two* weeks ago" and "please don't hit me again" was their best scam. This one was a more desperate ploy. 

Whose prostate did Illana feel up?

While simultaneously taking a selfie! What a multitasker!

I stared at her the whole time and didn't notice her pissing at all. Not saying people are wrong, I just didn't see it.

My boyfriend and I had a fight over this scene.  He said she was peeing and I said I didn't notice it.  We were too lazy to rewind though. It does make sense she would be peeing but he was shocked Comedy Central would show it.

Just double checked and she is peeing.  Not sure if she's taking a selfie or just checking her phone.

Not my favorite episode, but then again the show has set a pretty high bar (so to speak).

I stared at her the whole time and didn't notice her pissing at all. Not saying people are wrong, I just didn't see it.

I gather that this is probably how they got it past the censors. Because it wasn't until a few seconds in that I realized she was peeing. 

I think it was an electronic vaporizer pen? There are e-cigarettes, but Ilana was almost definitely using an e-joint.

That was my assumption.

Whose prostate did Illana feel up?

"It's tricky." I don't recall that being a plot point this season, although I have no doubt she did it. They included it for the humor.

Just double checked and she is peeing.  Not sure if she's taking a selfie or just checking her phone.

At first I thought she was taking a selfie, but on second look her facial expression never really changed and there was no flash (although her face was illuminated). I'm thinking she she was either texting or reading a message - she really didn't move the entire time she was in the shot, unless you count the stream, then she was in the background kind of kicking dirt and stepping out of the planter as the girls continued past her.

When the hostess at the restaurant was counting down after "Michelle, party of two", she should have gone, "Four, three, two, one"...

I laughed at the unnecessary rolling over the taxi's hood.

Edited by Lone Wolf

That was my assumption.

"It's tricky." I don't recall that being a plot point this season, although I have no doubt she did it. They included it for the humor.

At first I thought she was taking a selfie, but on second look her facial expression never really changed and there was no flash (although her face was illuminated). I'm thinking she she was either texting or reading a message - she really didn't move the entire time she was in the shot, unless you count the stream, then she was in the background kind of kicking dirt and stepping out of the planter as the girls continued past her.

When the hostess at the restaurant was counting down after "Michelle, party of two", she should have gone, "Four, three, two, one"...

I laughed at the unnecessary rolling over the taxi's hood.

people often take a real long time staring to set up a selfie. That's all it could of been.

My friend does that to me all the time: Why do you look so angry? Why are you scowling?

I think it's different when it's a friend. I mean, I am sure it's still super annoying, but when a stranger tells you to smile on the street, it's incredibly insulting.  I mean, who is this asshole who thinks he can tell you 1) that there's something wrong with your face, and 2) he has the right to tell you to do something about it?  There's also that whole idea that women should always be pleasant and nice, and should do that for the benefit of other people. Gaaah, I am getting angry just thinking about it.  I need to see the GIF again.

Edited by hks
  • Love 1

I think it's different when it's a friend. I mean, I am sure it's still super annoying, but when a stranger tells you to smile on the street, it's incredibly insulting.  I mean, who is this asshole who thinks he can tell you 1) that there's something wrong with your face, and 2) he has the right to tell you to do something about it?  There's also that whole idea that women should always be pleasant and nice, and should do that for the benefit of other people. Gaaah, I am getting angry just thinking about it.  I need to see the GIF again.

Yup!  An artist, Tatyana Fazlalizadeh, created an entire series about it last year. It's pretty freaking awesome. It's called "Stop Telling Women to Smile."

• Love 2

Yes, it's different, and I'm not a woman. But the concept of people telling you to smile, when you're fine or even when you have a lot on your mind, isn't going to work. Oh, I just need to smile? Thanks, I didn't think of that. Some people are just not smiley people either. I don't have a resting prick face, but still. I know it's overwhelmingly a woman issue, but I can sympathize.

• Love 1

Yes, it's different, and I'm not a woman. But the concept of people telling you to smile, when you're fine or even when you have a lot on your mind, isn't going to work. Oh, I just need to smile? Thanks, I didn't think of that. Some people are just not smiley people either. I don't have a resting prick face, but still. I know it's overwhelmingly a woman issue, but I can sympathize.

I'm curious: why would a woman peeing get censored? I did see the stream (and assumed she was taking a selfie, at the requisite head-tilted-up-so-no-double-chin angle), but feel like I've seen a bajillion men's room scenes at a urinal on tv without problem. We didn't see any vajeeeen, did we?

So glad Tree Man found Ilana's wig. She looked hot in it.