Type keyword(s) to search

S18: Tristan MacManus

• Start Topic

Yes, they're still smiling, unfortunately not on my TV this season because DWTS is apparently clueless.

Fortunately, he does seem to have a pretty full plate of teaching assignments and BWAT appearances. He's also still scheduled for Holland America's DWTS At Sea cruises this summer, so perhaps the DWTS door hasn't slammed shut completely and if there's a season 19, there's a chance of seeing him again. I hope Betty White can clear her schedule...

• Love 2

Yippee! Thanks for setting this thread up, designing1. Now we have a new place to discuss how our favorite Irish dancer gets screwed over by tptb. When someone writes the book on dwts I hope they include a chapter on how clueless they were about Tristan.

• Love 2

So glad to have a place where we can talk about our boy even if the shortsighted deep thinkers at DWTS kept him off our screens. Maybe if somehow DWTS doesn't infuriate all their long suffering fans with this switch debacle there will be a couple more seasons left and Tristan will grace us with his presence. We can only hope.

• Love 1

I miss Tristan terribly! There were a number of potentially great partners for him this season. If TPTB decide to scale back the nonsense next season and return to the ballroom dancing show this once was, I do hope they ask him back. He's such a great teacher and a class act all around.

• Love 1

Just bumping Tristan back up because with a season behind us devoid of that lovely Irish lad maybe we can start to hope he will be with us in the fall! Hopefully, this incoming EP will recognize the complete treasure that Tristan is and get him back asap.

• Love 1

Hello! I'm new to this board but used to lurk on TwoP.  Love Tristan and thought he was treated shabbily by the show.  Anyway, just thought you should know, Tristan has signed for Strictly Come Dancing over here in the UK. 

https://www.facebook.com/bbcstrictly  

BREAKING NEWS: We have 2 new Pro Dancers in town. Please welcome Tristan MacManus and Joanne Clifton to the Strictly family.

So when does Strictly Come Dancing start in the UK.  Probably not good news for those hoping to see Tristan on Dancing With The Stars as the schedules may overlap.

I don't blame Tristan for moving on though.  He never seemed to catch a break with DWTS.  He was charming and disarming with his "partners of a certain age" but it would have been nice to see him with a contender to see what he might have accomplished then. Yes, Dorothy Hamill was supposed to be Tristan's ticket to lasting a good long time on the show but that didn't work out very well, did it?.  Who knew she would be gone in such a short time.  And did anyone ever really think Pamela Anderson was a good idea?  I mean, really?

Good Luck on Strictly Tristan.  This North American viewer will miss your handsome face and gorgeous moves on the dance floor.  My God, if Maks also doesn't come back next year, we're losing a hell of a lot of pretty in one fell swoop.  *sigh*

Really bummed Tristan won't be back on DWTS. But hopefully SCD will treat him more kindly. I hope I can see his dances on YouTube.

Since Artem is out over there I won't be surprised to see him as a pro here in the fall.

So when does Strictly Come Dancing start in the UK.  Probably not good news for those hoping to see Tristan on Dancing With The Stars as the schedules may overlap.

There's only one season of SCD per year and it overlaps completely in the fall.  (SCD starts pro rehearsals in August and the final is the week before Christmas).  I suppose he could appear on the Spring season.....  

He has the personality to be really popular on Strictly and they usually (if they can) give the new pros a contender so they stick around long enough to gel with the audience. 

Well this really sucks. I will never understand why Tristan was treated so badly by dwts. Good for him for moving on. Hopefully he won't get Dame Edna or Queen Elizabeth as a partner and he is a huge success over there. I guess I will be watching a lot of YouTube!

I'd love for Tristan to maybe be able to do DWTS in the spring season, but it sounds like from his "needed a change" type comments that maybe he wasn't as happy with things there as he seemed to be.  We know he's a gentleman and a professional, so I'm not surprised that he kept any hard feelings to himself.  I hope he's treated better at Strictly, but of course I'm sad that I'll only be able to see him YouTube now. 

I have to say, I'm getting really excited to see how Tristan does on SCD. I've been watching videos of the show and reading about it and it feels like it'll be a breath of fresh air from DWTS and hopefully a much better fit for him. I'm sure they have their fair share of issues and complaints from the audience that I'll come across the more I get into it, but it's going to be a nice change of pace to watch, even though I probably won't know a single one of the celebrities.

I'm still not totally holding my breath they'll give him a contender because it is Tristan after all, but I do hope they give him someone that can dance at least decently. I'm sure he'll appreciate getting to do more standard ballroom and Latin dances than some of the stuff DWTS throws at their pros.

Well.  I'm glad for Tristan, but bummed completely for us fans.  I didn't watch a single episode of this past season because I was boycotting over the treatment of Tristan, and I may be gone from DWTS for good now.

I'm thrilled Tristan has been snapped up by Strictly. He's perfect for that show and I think the British public will just love him. Plus, it'll be much closer for his family to travel to see him! Now, we just need the UK PTB to give him someone decent. No more no-hopers like the US show.

Apparently Tristan, Emma, Kym, and Carson Kressley along with a bunch of other ballroom dancers are on an Alaskan cruise at the moment doing a DWTS show and Emma's been posting pictures on her Instagram.  I'll miss seeing Tristan on this side of the pond, but I hope the Strictly Come Dancing people appreciate him!

Wow. Gladys Knight looked beautiful. And Tristan wasn't too bad looking, himself. Now I am sad all over again that he won't be on dwts. Does anyone know when strictly starts? What night of the week is it on and how quickly do they post videos?

Does anyone know when strictly starts? What night of the week is it on and how quickly do they post videos?

Hi - the main show airs on Saturday evening with the results show airing Sunday evening (although it's recorded after the main show on Sat).  I know the BBC uploads videos to YT, but I haven't paid attention to how quickly, I'm afraid.  There's also It Takes Two which airs every week night for half an hour at 6.30 in which the couples come on and talk about how they're doing, choreography gets discussed, training clips etc  (and a fair bit of fluff).  Each couple will appear on the sofa at some point each week.  I don't think the BBC put it on YT, so you may have to do some digging to find a way to watch on the website ;-).  There will be a  launch show on 6th September (?) in which they pair up the celebs and pros for the first time and everyone takes part in a (usually shambolic) group dance.  Then they start training with their celeb. The first show 'proper' will likely be three weeks after that, so the end of September.  The pros started rehearsing yesterday (for pro numbers etc), so I expect Tristan to be on his way here very soon....

I was just googling strictly come dancing and apparently they have announced the first celebrity. I've never heard of her (Frankie Sanford from The Saturdays) but the good news is that she is in her 20's and must be somewhat musical. And I have heard that strictly often gives the new pro a contender, so here's hoping that Tristan gets her.

Glad to hear Tristan will be on Strictly.  I usually don't work too hard to watch it here in the US because I rarely know who the celebs are but will definitely watch when Tristan is on.  DWTS was stupid to let him go but then again maybe he just got sick of being assigned the old ladies.  

From the S21 Before the Episode thread:

Yes, legaleagle53, I try to catch glimpses of Tristan on Strictly whenever I can.  Who's he partnered with this time?  DWTS blew it when they got rid of Tristan.  I'll believe till I die that it was Derek's doing.

It's not yet known who Tristan's partner is on Strictly this year.  That won't be revealed until the launch which will air this Saturday.  But since there's only one female celeb over 50 this year (and those are usually given to Anton DuBeke), the odds are good that Tristan will get a good partner to work with.

1 hour ago, legaleagle53 said:

There's a thread for it here if you're interested.  The show starts airing in Australia on February 18.

...okay, how am I just now realizing that "AU" referred to "Australia" for this show? For some reason, when I saw that "AU" I was thinking "Alternate Universe" (probably because I'm so used to that abbreviation meaning that in the fanfic world at this point :p).

Wow. I am very slow on the uptake. Duh, self. 

• Love 1

In case you're wondering how Tristan is doing as a judge on the Australian DWTS, I just posted a YouTube clip over in the DWTS (AU) forum.  He's quite different from how he was on our version -- he's sort of like a straight Irish version of Adam Rippon.