Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: Kimmy Goes to Court!

I got a good laugh out Kimmy's bunker-mate (I need to learn their names) turning the crank and singing "Thank you for cranking a crank".  Which led to everyone figuring out the season long mystery... the crank was so the reverand could have electricity in his man cave.

• Love 4

“Well, well.  Word of advice, brother?”

“Sir, we’re cousins at most.”

The stepfather is still way too broad as a character, though the bit about how they got rid of the door and that just made the prisoners’ escaping easier.

In the realm of strangely specific yet incorrect references, I looked up what a “Lucille Roberts” is, a chain of gyms, which doesn’t have any locations anywhere near Indiana.  You've been fact-checked, Tina Fey!

• Love 3

Tracy Morgan's aquarium? What am I missing there...?

I don't know, either, but I loved that next to that was a link for the lost ending to "Daddy's Boy," marked NSFW. 

• Love 4

The whole "incompetent courtroom" thing was way too over-the-top, even for this show. I don't think I laughed once, I was too busy having secondhand embarrassment.

I laughed a bit, but it was incredibly painful most of the time rather than funny.

And I wasn't in love with the victim-blaming slightly disguised as humor. I did like the bit with the crank and the rise and fall of Titus, complete with a fart.

It's cool to see Jon Hamm and Ellie Kemper act opposite each other, since he was her drama teacher in high school. That must have been surreal for the both of them.

Titus becoming the next viral hit (and just the reappearance of the theme song guy in general) is a great way to bring things full circle. So was Gretchen going back into the bunker and saying, "It's still here. It's all still here" in contrast to Kimmy saying those exact same words after being released from the bunker.

I did feel bad for Kimmy, though. Yes, the whole bunker thing is supposed to be darkly ridiculous, but it was a pretty cruel mindgame for the reverend to play on her. It was Schrodinger's Outside World for her. All reason and logic pointed to the reverend being four short of a bushel and the apocalypse never happening, but she couldn't be 100% certain (especially after years of listening to his nonsense and seeing Gretchen and Cyndee buy into it) and didn't want to risk Cyndee's life because of her pride. Idk, in this show's universe it makes total sense and it's unfair that the blame has shifted onto her (but it was kind of worth it for getting to hear Tina Fey say "jagweed"). 

• Love 1

Liked them bringing back the guy from the pilot/theme song guy, and seeing what happened to him.  And I totally knew Titus was going end up embarrassing himself in the interview.  Kind of fitting, since he really was so vain throughout this entire episode, and really didn't support Kimmy all that much.

The trial stuff was a mixed bag.  Jon Hamm was still fun at being the sleazy Reverend, but I still found myself underwhelmed by the "OJ lawyers", and while I know they were being over-the-top ridiculous on purpose, it didn't always quite connect.  In the end, I was rooting for Kimmy to just leave, because all of the town seems to be full of assholes.  Randy especially, was a dick considering what an incompetent ass he is.  Also, where was Kymmi?  How could they not find a way to get Jon Hamm and Kieran Shipka together again?

The stuff with the bunker was great, and I can't wait to see what the reveal will be!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 1
The trial stuff was a mixed bag.  Jon Hamm was still fun at being the sleazy Reverend, but I still found myself underwhelmed by the "OJ lawyers", and while I know they were being over-the-top ridiculous on purpose, it didn't always quite connect.  In the end, I was rooting for Kimmy to just leave, because all of the town seems to be full of assholes.  Randy especially, was a dick considering what an incompetent ass he is.  Also, where was Kymmi?  How could they not find a way to get Jon Hamm and Kieran Shipka together again?

The stuff with the bunker was great, and I can't wait to see what the reveal will be!

I agree the trial stuff was to silly. I would have liked it to be at least a little bit believable. I liked the end with the flashback though ("join me in a flashback" :D ) where Kimmy couldn't bring herself to let Gretchen walk through the door (not that the reverend would have let her anyway). I think it is kinda a comment on victim blaming actually. We are clearly meant to side with Kimmy here, we understand why she acted like she did, but because the other people couldn't put themselves in her situation they felt like she was contradicting herself.

I have only seen up to this episode so far. Looking forward to see what's in the vault. I bet it something kinda silly considering this trial. Something that Kimmy will use in a very convoluted way to contradict the reverend.