Type keyword(s) to search

The Grass is Always Greener on the Knoll

• Start Topic

I wasn't sure where to put this, but the judges will be choosing the person going home tonight out of the bottom 2.

Tristan has got to be the strangest TCO this show's ever had.

WHAT? Are you kidding me? So the voters are  not really choosing the winner... it seems...

I wonder if they had to quietly meet with Scott before the judges decision on Tristan, cause that felt pretty pre-ordained and not in the direction that I was expecting. And it wasn't like Sonika totally slayed Let it Go either. Just to make sure he wouldn't go rogue when Seacreast asked him about the "fan votes" in between the two rounds of songs. Was Sonika better than Tristan on Independence Day? Yes....but not by a big enough margin that I thought they wouldn't give Tristan "one more week" based on potential or some nonsense.

I immediately pictured Scott Borchetta pouring through legal documents trying to find a legal loophole in case La'Porsha should end up winning (I'm still assuming Dalton or MacKenzie as of right now....but my confidence isn't as high as what it was a couple weeks ago).

I'll make a bold prediction now.....if LP wins, she will never release an album via Big Machine Records. In fact, I'm not sure they'd even keep the charade up long enough to even bother releasing a non-coronation song, first single. They would drag it out until they are reasonably confident that everybody has forgotten this sad little clusterf**k of a farewell season, and then just to rub salt in the wounds.....they'll sign both Emily Brooke and Tristan to developmental deals lol.

• Love 1

Not convinced she'd make it as a recording artist-- so few do these days-- but I think La'Porsha will be able to make a living out of her voice going forward.  Maybe doing backup vocals or commercial jingles or onstage in the next revival of the musical Hair...

• Love 3

So, did anyone else notice how Scott skirted the issue on how the actual songs were seletected?  I can't help thinking that certain (odd ball) songs were foisted on certain contestants to help other contestants who were given songs that helped moved the "narrative" along.

• Love 4

I'll make a bold prediction now.....if LP wins, she will never release an album via Big Machine Records. In fact, I'm not sure they'd even keep the charade up long enough to even bother releasing a non-coronation song, first single. They would drag it out until they are reasonably confident that everybody has forgotten this sad little clusterf**k of a farewell season, and then just to rub salt in the wounds.....they'll sign both Emily Brooke and Tristan to developmental deals lol.

If he didn't sign Jax, he's not going to sign Emily or Tristan.  On BMGL, he already has The Voice alums, Cassadee Pope, Danielle Bradbury, Raelynn.

Edited by ifoundit

Well, Jax isn't a country artist so I'm not really sure that comparison is apt. Also, the beauty of a developmental deal (as I understand them) is they are much less risky for the label. You monitor someone for a year or two and see if you have something. If not, you cut them loose and you aren't out all that much.

IIRC, Swift herself was on some sort of developmental deal with another label before not re-upping with them to sign with Borchetta when he got Big Machine off the ground...

All that said, I have no idea if Emily or Tristan will pan out in country music in any meaningful way going forward. I just wouldn't count it or Borchetta out of that equation especially in Tristan's case.

Well, Jax isn't a country artist so I'm not really sure that comparison is apt. Also, the beauty of a developmental deal (as I understand them) is they are much less risky for the label. You monitor someone for a year or two and see if you have something. If not, you cut them loose and you aren't out all that much.

IIRC, Swift herself was on some sort of developmental deal with another label before not re-upping with them to sign with Borchetta when he got Big Machine off the ground...

All that said, I have no idea if Emily or Tristan will pan out in country music in any meaningful way going forward. I just wouldn't count it or Borchetta out of that equation especially in Tristan's case.

Scott Borchetta signed on to Idol with the intent of launching a pop star (he is struggling with Nick Fradiani as is).  He has enough Country artists on his label.  He defaulted to Tristan because he was worry about La'Porsha winning.  Once the show is off the air, the Idol brand goes with it, and there's really no incentive for him to invest in alums from the show.  He has other less costly, lower risk options for scouting talent, like Social Media.

I venture that this season is about ratings #1, and anybody who signs with BMR (apt?) is maybe #10 on the priority list.

This season?  

The show has always been about making money, ratings, promoting the judges/host pet projects, and finding a recording artist (in that order) for years.

• Love 1

From the way the season's played out so far, I don't think Idol and Borchetta are on the same page. Idol is concerned about its legacy, while Borchetta is concerned about the artist he'll be stuck with. I don't think Idol really cares what happens to the person who wins after the show--they won't be on the air for it to matter anymore.

• Love 4

Okay Wait a minute......

LaPorsha in the first, "forgettable" spot?

Being somebody with a vagina, doesn't she need all the help she can get?

Is she so popular that they had to pimp Dalton over her?

I'm fascinated!!!  LaPorsha kicks everyone's ass left and right, in my opinion, but I know how hard it is for a woman to win this show.

• Love 1

TCO is starting to look like Trent right now. This week and last week the judges had afterglow faces when they spoke to him.

I'm guessing the Bottom 2 was accurate, and they just want to make sure Dalton gets to the finale over MacKenzie.* That would explain why Dalton brought out the sad face and the tears tonight, too. They did the same thing with Tristan before she was eliminated.

*They've put MacKenzie in the middle of the show every week, something I guessed they would do when they made it clear they wanted a woman to win. I also guessed that strategy wouldn't work; they shouldn't have put him through at all if they didn't want him to win.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 1

TCO is starting to look like Trent right now. This week and last week the judges had afterglow faces when they spoke to him.

I'm guessing the Bottom 2 was accurate, and they just want to make sure Dalton gets to the finale over MacKenzie.* That would explain why Dalton brought out the sad face and the tears tonight, too. They did the same thing with Tristan before she was eliminated.

*They've put MacKenzie in the middle of the show every week, something I guessed they would do when they made it clear they wanted a woman to win. I also guessed that strategy wouldn't work; they shouldn't have put him through at all if they didn't want him to win.

If you watched tonight's show you saw the judges run the bus over MacKenzie, backup over him, then run over him again!  he is next week's victim.  By having a three person final (or how I interpreted things) the competition is highly skewed for La'Porsha to win.

• Love 3

Trent started to take the crown last week then tonight he flat out snatched it from LaP IMO.I don't know if he's really the new TCO (Scott does seem all excited on twitter) but the last 2 weeks he brought me to tears and I speak as someone who actually thought he was annoying early on so I'm not shocked the judges praised him. Scott is probably hoping he has another strong week to secure a win.

• Love 2

Trent started to take the crown last week then tonight he flat out snatched it from LaP IMO.I don't know if he's really the new TCO (Scott does seem all excited on twitter) but the last 2 weeks he brought me to tears and I speak as someone who actually thought he was annoying early on so I'm not shocked the judges praised him. Scott is probably hoping he has another strong week to secure a win.

Love, love, love Trent from the beginning! He is also my pick for the win!

Calling shenanigans regarding the supposedly unknown to everyone Top 3. When Ryan preceded LaPortia'a safety as the Pride Of Mississippi, I assumed he was going to announce Trent, who is also from Mississippi. Trent didn't react at all, and LaPortia seemed less than surprised.

Also, when Trent, Sonika and Dalton were waiting to hear who was safe, only Trent had his earpieces in, meaning (at least to me) that was anticipating performing next, so he had to know he was safe, right? Sonika knew too, she looked like she was going to burst into tears. It's all very sloppy, as if the show could care less at this point about the surprise factor. Who is directing this show?

• Love 1

From the article:

My most negative experience was when we were sitting in the round circle onstage, in that Coca-Cola area with the big couch, and I remember Asia’h Epperson and I were about to get a lemonade and Nigel was sitting with us. He said something to Asia’h, sort of insinuating that she was going to be OK on that night’s results show: “Don’t even worry about it!” And she literally got eliminated as soon as the cameras turned on after he said that. I was so, so mad at Nigel for doing that. Asia’h was so shocked and so scared, and I know he did that for TV – to get a fresh reaction on camera from her. Everyone was upset that he did that; there were very negative vibes all around. 

• Love 2

From the article:

My most negative experience was when we were sitting in the round circle onstage, in that Coca-Cola area with the big couch, and I remember Asia’h Epperson and I were about to get a lemonade and Nigel was sitting with us. He said something to Asia’h, sort of insinuating that she was going to be OK on that night’s results show: “Don’t even worry about it!” And she literally got eliminated as soon as the cameras turned on after he said that. I was so, so mad at Nigel for doing that. Asia’h was so shocked and so scared, and I know he did that for TV – to get a fresh reaction on camera from her. Everyone was upset that he did that; there were very negative vibes all around. 

Thanks. Very interesting. I wish I could read the whole thing. Good find! ANd shocker that Nigel was a dick. :-)

• Love 2

Coming in here with my conspiracy theory for the week:

I don't believe for one millisecond that Dalton was in the bottom 2. He has the largest fanbase of anyone, even bigger than MacKenzie's. It baffles me that the contestant with the largest fanbase and coming off a very emotional week last week somehow ended up second to last in voting next to Sonika, who most likely had the smallest fanbase of anyone remaining and had very few standout performances this season. Whether you're a fan or not, everyone has to admit what BS that is. All his fans made sure to vote for him so it's not like it could have been a Chris Daughtry situation where his fans thought he was safe and just didn't vote. I call shenanigans on Dalton being B2 this week. 

Technically as long as the lowest vote getter (in this case, Sonika) is in the B2, the other contestant can be literally anyone the producers want it to be, even if they were not actually second lowest in votes. They have done it many many times in past seasons. I believe that's what happened with Dalton, producers know he's a fan fave and they did it for the drama and to rile his fans up to vote even harder. 

I also think that is why they bussed Mackenzie so hard this week as well, to get his fans to vote hard to ensure a Dalton/Mac finale maybe. 

• Love 1

don't believe for one millisecond that Dalton was in the bottom 2. He has the largest fanbase of anyone, even bigger than MacKenzie's. It baffles me that the contestant with the largest fanbase and coming off a very emotional week last week somehow ended up second to last in voting next to Sonika, who most likely had the smallest fanbase of anyone remaining and had very few standout performances this season.

How do you know he has the largest fanbase?  How would we know the size of anyone's fanbase?  I assume Dalton probably has a large contingent of fans who may or may not be voting for him, but that's all it is: an assumption on my part based on my years of watching AI.

(Not trying to be snarky - just wondering if you've read something reliable somewhere.)

• Love 1

I did wonder about the "bottom two" though.

Especially seeing as for the first three, Ryan was all like "in no particular order," and "the next one to make it through is." So yeah, very dubious about the "bottom two" thing. 

Edited by rereader2
  • Love 2

Especially seeing as for the first three, Ryan was all like "in no particular order," and "the next one to make it through is." So yeah, very dubious about the "bottom two" thing. 

I suspect that La'Porsha was the next lowest in votes, but they didn't want to have another two woman bottom two.  Not that she deserves to be, mind you.

But when he got to Dalton and Sonkia, he specifically said these are your Bottom 2.  In fact, he said it twice.   In the past, he would not make the reference "Bottom 2" if it didn't apply to both.  Also, at Top 5, they usually do reveal the 2 lowest vote getters.

Edited by ifoundit
  • Love 1

How do you know he has the largest fanbase?  How would we know the size of anyone's fanbase?  I assume Dalton probably has a large contingent of fans who may or may not be voting for him, but that's all it is: an assumption on my part based on my years of watching AI.

(Not trying to be snarky - just wondering if you've read something reliable somewhere.)

I agree, I am not one of his fans so this surprises me?  He does not have the best voice, his performance consists of his camera close-ups of his latest eye make up!  LOL  I personally think he has some health issues to deal with and fame/money is not going to help him but could make it worse.   

• Love 1

Coming in here with my conspiracy theory for the week:

I don't believe for one millisecond that Dalton was in the bottom 2. He has the largest fanbase of anyone, even bigger than MacKenzie's. It baffles me that the contestant with the largest fanbase and coming off a very emotional week last week somehow ended up second to last in voting next to Sonika, who most likely had the smallest fanbase of anyone remaining and had very few standout performances this season. Whether you're a fan or not, everyone has to admit what BS that is. All his fans made sure to vote for him so it's not like it could have been a Chris Daughtry situation where his fans thought he was safe and just didn't vote. I call shenanigans on Dalton being B2 this week. 

Technically as long as the lowest vote getter (in this case, Sonika) is in the B2, the other contestant can be literally anyone the producers want it to be, even if they were not actually second lowest in votes. They have done it many many times in past seasons. I believe that's what happened with Dalton, producers know he's a fan fave and they did it for the drama and to rile his fans up to vote even harder. 

I also think that is why they bussed Mackenzie so hard this week as well, to get his fans to vote hard to ensure a Dalton/Mac finale maybe. 

They bussed Mackenzie because he deserved it.  At this point, in the competition, mediocrity isn't going to cut it.  How do you know Dalton has the largest fan base?  Twitter Followers?  It's well known that social media followers have never been an accurate measure of Idol voting patterns.  And then there's the impact of limited voting, which is even more limited this year.  It's not like back in the day when fans can spam votes for their favorites.

• Love 3

I am mostly going by Twitter followers which I know doesn't necessarily mean anything (like Jax from last year not even making the finale) but he does have a built in fanbase because of the boyband he was in before Idol, just like Mac with The Voice. It's kind of just presumed they're the 2 largest fanbases. Trent and LP had significantly less followers coming into the show than Dalt or Mac.

Dalton has 136k followers on Twitter alone. Not every follower votes so lets just say an even 100k people voted for him at a minimum of 50 times each. Trent and LP would have had to have gotten a shit ton of votes to outnumber him. And I know some fans vote even more than that using multiple accounts and devices and some have figured out a way to vote internationally (though not sure if it counts).

The limited voting doesn't even play into it. It's limited for every contestant. 100k people voting 50 times for Dalton is still going to equal more votes than say only 10k voting 50 times for Trent or LP.

My theory might only be an assumption because we obviously have no way of tabulating who really has the largest fanbase but I don't think it's that unrealistic to think Dalton and Mac have the 2 biggest fanbases because they both came in with a lot of followers due to projects they did before Idol, whereas Trent and LP were complete unknowns.

To be honest I don't remember if Ryan said "the" or "our" b2. I think he actually said "your" bottom 2. I'm not sure it matters. Like I said, they can and have put whoever they feel like in the b2 as long as the true lowest is in there and gets eliminated. I'm pretty sure if they didn't it would be fraudulous or something.

I agree that, if we are going by Twitter and other social media sites, Dalton and MacKenzie have the largest fan base. However, we've seen cases where the the "cougar" voting block (hate the term, since I think I would be categorized as one) come out to vote in the end, when it counts. That's who voted David Cook, Scottie M. and Nick F, in, to name just a few. I've been voting on Google for Trent and Sonika since top 10, now its just Trent. He's what a mom would love her son to be like, and her daughter to marry. He's talented, smart and has wonderful manners!

• Love 4

MacKenzie and Dalton may very well have the largest fanbases but even thinking 100k are voting is generous IMO. Social media just doesnt translate into actual votes and I feel thats the case beyond Idol. It takes no effort to follow someone on Twitter or instagram but a lot more effort to vote. I follow TONS of reality stars I dont vote for.  Dancing With The Stars every season casts these young people with huge social media followings (and I'm talking numbers that makes 136k followers look pathetic) and they never get too far and then people wonder how someone with a "fanbase" of 6 million people couldnt get them to the finals.  When it comes right down to it the casual vote and people voting on actual performance will come into play more and more as the weeks wind down.  Take someone like my mother who doesnt even go on-line yet she watches every week religiously and she votes for whoever she likes any given week. However, since Twitter keeps getting used as a measure of popularity, how about something else to look at like You Tube views? Look at American Idols account and look at the views and you see a very different picture..La'Porsha is winning that one by a mile followed by Trent trailing behind.  LaP's numbers are staggering though. 

• Love 4

I think social media following matters way less than people think on these voting shows. DWTS has tried featuring "social media stars" like Bethany Mota and Hayes Grier in recent seasons and neither made it past the final four despite huge social media followings and decent judges' scores. James Maslow always seemed to be the "trending" contestant on his season of DWTS but he also finished fourth. So his fans were tweeting about how much they loved him but not power voting. DWTS is obviously a bit different because judges' scores also count in the results but I think it is still worth mentioning.

Assuming that close to 75% of Dalton's Twitter followers are not only voting for him but voting as much as 50 times is a pretty big leap. Lots of people casually follow people they like on Twitter/IG but likely never even cast more than one vote.

I started following Trent on IG back in week 2. I love him, I want him to win. I probably voted for him maybe 10 total times spread out over the course of the whole season. I also did throw some votes Sonika's way despite not following her anywhere. Lots of people have favorites that they follow but don't take the extra step to vote or they forget to vote until it is too late. And on the other side, I have several older relatives who love this show and do vote by phone every season and they have no idea what Twitter even is.

Whoops, howmanywords, looks like we were posting almost the exact same thing at the same time!

Edited by TeeMo
  • Love 4

I am mostly going by Twitter followers which I know doesn't necessarily mean anything (like Jax from last year not even making the finale) but he does have a built in fanbase because of the boyband he was in before Idol, just like Mac with The Voice. It's kind of just presumed they're the 2 largest fanbases. Trent and LP had significantly less followers coming into the show than Dalt or Mac.

Dalton has 136k followers on Twitter alone. Not every follower votes so lets just say an even 100k people voted for him at a minimum of 50 times each. Trent and LP would have had to have gotten a shit ton of votes to outnumber him. And I know some fans vote even more than that using multiple accounts and devices and some have figured out a way to vote internationally (though not sure if it counts).

The limited voting doesn't even play into it. It's limited for every contestant. 100k people voting 50 times for Dalton is still going to equal more votes than say only 10k voting 50 times for Trent or LP.

My theory might only be an assumption because we obviously have no way of tabulating who really has the largest fanbase but I don't think it's that unrealistic to think Dalton and Mac have the 2 biggest fanbases because they both came in with a lot of followers due to projects they did before Idol, whereas Trent and LP were complete unknowns.

To be honest I don't remember if Ryan said "the" or "our" b2. I think he actually said "your" bottom 2. I'm not sure it matters. Like I said, they can and have put whoever they feel like in the b2 as long as the true lowest is in there and gets eliminated. I'm pretty sure if they didn't it would be fraudulous or something.

If Dalton has the largest Twitter following, it means he won't win.  If you look at the last few seasons, neither Nick, Caleb, Candice, had the largest Twitter followers.  It was Jax, Sam, Angie, none of whom made it into the finals.

It can't just be assumed that the followers Dalton had prior to Idol all are still all active fans who watches show and voting for them.  The ratings have been pretty much on par with last season, so it's not like a lot of new viewers are tuning in.  Twitter is known for Spam accounts, inactive accounts.  Also, fans outside the U.S. are not allowed to vote. 

There's one obvious theory as to why Dalton was in the Bottom 2 - his performance has been lacking.

• Love 3

My family watches the show, but none of us vote.

Personally, I don't trust that the votes actually matter. Especially in the final season, TPTB will get the winner they want.

Sorry for the cynicism, I've had a campsite on the grassy knoll since season 2.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 1

If Dalton has the largest Twitter following, it means he won't win.  If you look at the last few seasons, neither Nick, Caleb, Candice, had the largest Twitter followers.  It was Jax, Sam, Angie, none of whom made it into the finals.

It can't just be assumed that the followers Dalton had prior to Idol all are still all active fans who watches show and voting for them.  The ratings have been pretty much on par with last season, so it's not like a lot of new viewers are tuning in.  Twitter is known for Spam accounts, inactive accounts.  Also, fans outside the U.S. are not allowed to vote. 

There's one obvious theory as to why Dalton was in the Bottom 2 - his performance has been lacking.

That's why I'm afraid he won't make the finale because it seems even having a large social media following doesn't matter- Jax not making the finale last year, I don't think it mattered much for Christina Grimmie on The Voice either. Personally I don't think his performances lacked last week. Numb was just ok, but Sound of Silence was strong and very emotional. If that didn't score him votes, I don't know what would have. I find it funny that everyone keeps saying how mediocre his voice is, as though that stops anyone from voting for him. He has fans, whether people think he's a great singer or not. It doesn't really matter how he or any of them perform at this point. Everyone has their faves by now and they vote for who they like, regardless of how good or bad they did. I know that even if Dalton tanks I still vote for him and no one else. 

I'd be interested in knowing who everyone thinks has the largest fanbase, if it's not Dalton or MacKenzie. I really can't picture Trent or La'Porsha having the largest fanbases, honestly. 

• Love 1

Yeah, if your fan base is on Twitter they're not on musty old Fox shows their mom and grandma watch or wasting time doing something as 2001 as voting for a reality show.  

You'd be surprised. I see many teens on Twitter who are voting for Dalton, Mackenzie, and for a time were also voting for Tristan, Olivia, Lee, and Gianna. I see a lot of them say they watch the show with their entire family and they all vote. This number might be small but there's definitely still younger kids watching and voting for this show, from what I've seen. That's why I'm so surprised Dalton ended up in the bottom because I saw lots of people saying they voted literally hundreds of times for him (by using multiple accounts and devices). 

I'd be interested in knowing who everyone thinks has the largest fanbase, if it's not Dalton or MacKenzie. I really can't picture Trent or La'Porsha having the largest fanbases, honestly. 

I'm curious why you dont think they do? At one time Idol was actually based on talent and many times talent won out in the end. I would hope when it comes right down to it being "cute" or being able to strum a guitar would be a lesser thing in what gains someone fans. Its been hashed out why and how social media "followers" dont really matter so lets just say fanbases are building organically based on talent and strength of performance..I wouldnt be the least bit shocked if Trent and LaPorsha are winning that one. As I mentioned in my last post, I tend to think LaPorsha being able to garner anywhere from 700,000-2 million views for her performances while Dalton can barely crack 200k says a whole lot about impact and frankly I speak as someone who doesnt care for LaP's style.  And with the itunes recordings being available this week, Trent is the only who cracked the top 100 on itunes. These factors do contribute to fanbase or at least how that he inspired some to spend a little and support him IMO and that hes grabbing peoples attention. MacKenzie was last in itunes rankings FWIW. 

Edited by howmanywords
  • Love 3