Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Discussion

Glory

I don't know why you think you are alone in that.  Plenty of people have said the premise sounds interesting.  The complaint has been making it the series finale.

That's my impression too.

And even though I'm very interested in '2009' (as it seems to focus on the original 5) I also don't think it should be the finale, not after an episode that has a 6 years flashforward. It's just too much whiplash and anti-climatic imo.

If it hasn't changed that means the premise is they are focusing on the stories of the original 5 before the cannon of Glee began.  I am guessing it will be the set in the first weeks of their sophomore year of high school.    As for Blaine and Sam

•  Blaine fans complained to Joaquin that he wasn't in this episode and Joaquin confirmed he was.  It wouldn't be hard to write a small scene with him in it.  My guess is it will be a near miss between him and Kurt.  Like they pass each other on the street or something like that
  • Sam is more difficult because it is going to be set in a time when he wasn't even in Ohio.  Still they seem hell bent on making it seem like there was always something between him & Rachel I could easily see "Sam Evans" being the one person who leaves positive comments on her MySpace page.  That way he has a presence without actually being there

I would laugh so hard if they will show Blaine in his Dalton blazer in '2009'. Blaine transferred to Dalton during or after his first year in another high school, so that would be somewhere in 2009 or 2010 (as Kurt was a sophomore in 2009, so 1-year younger Blaine was a freshman then), but only after his high school's Sadie Hawkins dance. If '2009' takes place at the beginning of the school year then Blaine wouldn't be a Warbler yet.

(And I'm sure I put much more thought into this than the writers did.)

I really can't see a way for Sam to be in Ohio in 2009, and the idea of shoehorning him in by e.g. him and Rachel magically having interacted via MySpace or some other chance meeting when Sam visits Ohio for some reason makes me cringe.

But never say never with Glee, lol. In season 5 they had songs on the show that weren't even supposed to be released yet in their timeline.

The most logical (ha!) way to put Sam and Blaine into the '2009' episode would be if they briefly appear in some scene that takes place in the current (or flashforward) time, e.g. them all together reminiscing the 'good ol' days, but IIRC Paris Barclay said that the entire episode is a flashback. They could have re-written that of course.

When has Glee ever been good at storytelling? Finn existed in 2009 too, but obviously they can't show him either. Blaine and Sam didn't exist in 2009, but I'm sure they'll be shoehorned in somehow. The whole idea behind 2009 is dumb, in general, completely separate from any casting issues IMO. What part of fandom or even the GA was clamoring for an hour-long flashback episode that has no relevance or bearing on anything happening on this show anymore? And then who decided to make that the series finale? It's just typical Glee.

I don't think anyone was clamoring for a flashback episode, although quite some people in the fandom wanted an episode in the last season that focused on the original 5. A flashback episode to right before these 5 signed up for glee club does fulfill that fandom wish.

So I get why they would do an episode like  '2009'. And since those original characters bar Rachel hardly got anything significant to do in season 6 so far (nor in the last 2 seasons, for the most part) I really look forward to this episode, and even don't mind some of the other original season 1 cast not being in it (as e.g. Brittana already got decent focus in this season, and I certainly won't miss Blam).

What makes it all wrong and awkward is moving this flashback '2009' episode with a very noticeable non-complete cast to the end to be the final Glee episode.

I think most people, fandom and GA, would like to see all their old favorite characters (or at least those who want to be there and can be brought back) in a final episode of a series. And having a flashforward in the final would be the icing on the cake (if done right).

It all seems so odd to have '2009' after a flashforward episode that has 'Dreams Come True' as its title and sounds in all intent and purpose like a final episode of a series. I still hope some mistake has been made and '2009' moves to the 8 o'clock slot, followed by 'Dreams Come True'.

I will never get the obsession with the original 5. It lasted one episode. The point of the show was the uneasy but ultimately successful melding of the nerds and the cheerleaders/jocks and how anyone can feel like an outcast. To my mind, people like Finn, Quinn, Santana, Puck and even Mike were actually much more affected and changed by being in glee club, and kind of showed what it could be about, far more than for some of the original 5. They were also more dynamic characters than some of those, imo. It's cute for little callbacks, but I get grouchy when people act like they were the five most important characters and leave out the others because they started off popular.

Edited by SNeaker
  • Love 5

To me the characters most change by glee club were Puck, Quinn, Santana, and Mike. Their lives fundamentally changed because of glee club.

The originals gain more confidence and friends but I never felt they fundamentally changed.

I never Finn fundamentally changed he just seemed to become more confident in being himself.

• Love 2

I will never get the obsession with the original 5. It lasted one episode. The point of the show was the uneasy but ultimately successful melding of the nerds and the cheerleaders/jocks and how anyone can feel like an outcast. To my mind, people like Finn, Quinn, Santana, Puck and even Mike were actually much more affected and changed by being in glee club, and kind of showed what it could be about, far more than for some of the original 5. They were also more dynamic characters than some of those, imo. It's cute for little callbacks, but I get grouchy when people act like they were the five most important characters and leave out the others because they started off popular.

I don't think I was doing that? I also doubt many other people think those other season 1 characters were less important to the show than the original 5. Definitely not Finn, Quinn or Puck (Santana, Brittany and Mike were more background characers in the first season), who perhaps had more screentime and songs in the beginning than Artie, Tina, Kurt and Mercedes.

But there's nothing wrong with wanting to focus on the original 5 for an episode, as they were the core that started the New Directions after all and actually really wanted to be in glee club from the beginning (and who didn't also have Cheerios or the football team to go to). If Cory had still been alive I think a focus on the original 6 would have even been more likely in a possible final episode, but sadly he's not (which makes the episode being a flashback really awkward, I admit).

Fans also tend to be a bit nostalgic when the last season/episodes of a show come along, and want to look back to where it all started. For Glee that is Mr. Shue and the original 5 (or 6). That doesn't take anything away from the other season 1 characters imo.

The original 5 is just a group that certain people like and remember fondly, like the Unholy Trinity or the Troubletones; little groups that also got some special focus every now and then through the seasons. Personally I never really saw the chemistry and importance of the Unholy Trinity, but I'm happy for their fans when they get a mention, some screentime and/or a song on the show, like they recently did in 6x02. Why would I not want that for my favorite group of characters?

And it's not like Puck, Mike(?) and Matt won't be in '2009', only unfortunately because it's a flashback episode they will probably still be the bullies they were back then. The reason that the Unholy Trinity isn't in that episode is probably more because of BTS reasons than that the fans (don't know about RIB though) don't think they are important or that they haven't tributed much to the start of the show, and tbh: if they were in '2009' they would also still be the bullies they were back then, so maybe it's for the best they're not.

• Love 1

I don't mind the popular kids being shown as bullies, if it is used to show how far the characters have progressed (or as far as anyone can progress on Glee). I can deal with Santana and Brittany not being there, since they were more background, and it sounds like the wedding will give them both some closure. Mike was also very background so even though I really like him, I'm fine with him not showing up either. But Quinn and Finn were really important in that time, and while nothing can really be done about that, they shouldn't be doing a flashback episode if they can't do it correctly. In Charmed, after Shannon Doughtery left on bad terms, they were smart enough to not have a flashback episode. Another key difference is that once she was off, she was really off. The character was dead and they made up a BS reason that her ghost never came back although their grandmother popped in all the time. And they killed her off in season 3, and Charmed lasted 7-8 seasons, so she had been long gone by their finale. Obviously, nothing can be done about Finn, so I can let that go, but the fact they brought back Quinn for a Becky plot, in which she wasn't really necessary, and are not bringing her back for 2009 in which I'd imagine she'd be relevant, is stupid. It kind of makes me wish she just had left after season 3, when whatever happened between RIB and Dianna had strained the relationship, because then her not being in the finale/another episode she should be in would not bug me as much. 

Sorry, that was a rant. But this is so, so dumb. 

From Fox Press

http://www.spoilertv.com/2015/02/glee-season-6-final-episodes-schedule.html

I still seems debatable or maybe I just hope it is the 12th and not the finale.

Thank you!

Also. . .yeah, that would not make sense as the finale. Hopefully they switch that order. 

• Love 2

Oh no, I didn't mean to imply you were. Just addressing the idea in general since I see it in fandom a LOT, and it chafes me.

I get ya, especially if your own fave isn't in that group.

Maybe I just don't see an exclusion of those other season 1 characters in the fandom so much because I usually dwell in circles of the fandom who for the most part love all of the season 1 characters (and cast), and I personally have the impression that's most of the 'old' original fans who are now not that vocal on boards and forums anymore.

I don't mind the popular kids being shown as bullies, if it is used to show how far the characters have progressed (or as far as anyone can progress on Glee). I can deal with Santana and Brittany not being there, since they were more background, and it sounds like the wedding will give them both some closure. Mike was also very background so even though I really like him, I'm fine with him not showing up either. But Quinn and Finn were really important in that time, and while nothing can really be done about that, they shouldn't be doing a flashback episode if they can't do it correctly. In Charmed, after Shannon Doughtery left on bad terms, they were smart enough to not have a flashback episode. Another key difference is that once she was off, she was really off. The character was dead and they made up a BS reason that her ghost never came back although their grandmother popped in all the time. And they killed her off in season 3, and Charmed lasted 7-8 seasons, so she had been long gone by their finale. Obviously, nothing can be done about Finn, so I can let that go, but the fact they brought back Quinn for a Becky plot, in which she wasn't really necessary, and are not bringing her back for 2009 in which I'd imagine she'd be relevant, is stupid. It kind of makes me wish she just had left after season 3, when whatever happened between RIB and Dianna had strained the relationship, because then her not being in the finale/another episode she should be in would not bug me as much. 

Sorry, that was a rant. But this is so, so dumb.

I agree, a flashback episode is awkward for several reasons.

And it's really annoying that Quinn was called all kinds of ugly names in her last episode, without getting any real personal focus. RIB are hacks.

I'm torn about this: I see how a flashback episode is problematic, but I'm also just happy my personal faves probably will get some well-deserved individual focus for a change (and hopefully a solo!), and that their season 1 characters will maybe be a bit more familiar/recognizable opposite to what they've become now.

But I still think '2009' should not be the final episode.

Edited by Glorfindel

Jenna hasn't had a solo since midway through season 4, I doubt it'll happen now.

Chris hasn't had a solo since Bash last season (which actually ended up being his only solo for the season). I'm hoping for him to get one solo before the show closes out, but I'm doubtful that will happen.

• Love 1

Maybe it's me, but one fucking, count 'em, one fucking episode to focus on the Original 5 doesn't really seem like excessive attention or fixation on them. In 110 plus epiosdes.

I half expected the finale to be all about the Season 6 Noobs, to be honest.

I understand people pissed because their faves won't appear, but I hardly find giving the Original 5 a SL afer 6 seasons some huge catering to their fans.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 2

I think I'm in the minority, but I don't really see the absence of Finn (or even Quinn) as a huge deal in the 2009 episode, only because the episode is BEFORE the Glee club started.  The fact is, before Glee Club, the interactions between Kurt and Finn, or Rachel and Quinn, presumably were limited to the one interaction per day when Finn or Quinn said something mean to (or slushied or whatever) Kurt or Rachel in the hallway.  So -- the bulk of the day for Kurt or Rachel did NOT involve Finn or Quinn.  It would be different if the show were set AFTER Glee club began, because then the whole point of the show was the interactions between the characters.  But before that?  They could easily go the whole day without seeing them, seems to me.  

Honestly, shoehorning Blaine and Sam INTO the episode seems much worse to me.

• Love 4

I think having Puck, not Finn, makes the absence of Finn pretty glaring because my impression was they were best buddies and hung around each other a whole heck of a lot.  Quinn, maybe not as much, but it will present a one-sided view to only have the jocks, not the cheerios as bullies.  As for Blaine it depends on how they shoehorn him in.  When it comes to Sam, though, there is no way for him to suddenly appear in Lima and if they do something to make it look like he and Rachel had a connection during this time all while ignoring Finn, Finn's absence will be all the more glaring.

Edited by camussie

I wouldn't have a problem with a random episode focusing on the original 5, nor do I mind any of the callbacks to them -- I also enjoy them, just as I enjoy the callbacks to the Unholy Trinity, the Troubletones, Single Ladies, etc. But I often see the sentiment that certain major episodes should ONLY be about the original 5, or how only the original 5 should be there to see Rachel get her Tony, etc, etc,, and that seems specifically exclusionary. And for the finale of the entire show I should think fans would want to see all of the original ND. Obviously we're not getting that and that's not the fault of the fandom, so I could see wanting it to focus on the originals that are left (which is basically original 5) certainly as opposed to noobs, but I was seeing that sentiment even before we knew the rest wouldn't be in the finale. I just don't really get it.

What kills me is that a finale for Glee could seriously write itself. Any of us could do it. It'd be cliched and formulaic and no one would care because all they want is happy endings and final songs for the originals plus a big final group number.

Edited to agree with the above: Puck without Finn is glaring.

Edited by SNeaker

What kills me is that a finale for Glee could seriously write itself. Any of us could do it. It'd be cliched and formulaic and no one would care because all they want is happy endings and final songs for the originals plus a big final group number.

This.

Have everyone back, everyone sing and show them all off and happy.

I'd hate the original five being there as Rachel wins her Tony, mostly because I hate the idea of her staying close friends with Tina and Mercedes.

Even as nominee Rachel would not have that many tickets to the awards.  :)

I think people mention those certain people becasue Lea happened to name a few people when she said she hoped her story would end with Rachel getting and Tony with A, B and C  in attendance.  I do not think it is meant as a slight to anyone.

Edited by tom87

My own gut is that Ryan and company feel they gave the S1/2 Originals their "finale" with "100" celebration, so anything repeating that is just repeitive and boring to them.

Wild guess and shocker; "2009" will be Rachel focused, which means she will have a supporting cast around her. I expect that, I don't expect an ensemble SL so if it's the Original 5 supporting her SL, so be it.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

I'd hate the original five being there as Rachel wins her Tony, mostly because I hate the idea of her staying close friends with Tina and Mercedes.

I'm curious. Is it because you don't think Tina and Mercedes should stay friends with Rachel, or you don't think Rachel should stay friends with them?

I'm curious. Is it because you don't think Tina and Mercedes should stay friends with Rachel, or you don't think Rachel should stay friends with them?

With Tina I don't like her staying friends with Rachel, never liked her as a Rachel cheerleader and it marked the start of ruining the character for me. I don't like the idea of Tina staying in touch with anyone bar possibly Mike (we'll see how this weeks ep goes)

Rachel and Mercedes is a bit of both. I think Rachel needs to stand on her own two feet and I think Mercedes needs to break away from her high school friends.

Tina was destroyed even worse in Season 4 when she was away from Rachel but the butt of jokes and humiliated constantly vis a vis Blaine and Sam.

However Tina did get highlighted spotlight in compeittions in Season 4.

Season 4 was far worse, actually I think season 5 was even worse than that. Culminating in that horrid version of Loser Like Me, sung to patronise Tina, again.

She did get competition focus, but not enough for me and not with great songs. I really wish I Love It had just been Jenna and Becca. The others really didn't have the attitude for it.

Glee: The Music, Child Star

Lose My Breath (Glee Cast Version)

Friday I’m In Love (Glee Cast Version)

I Want To Break Free (Glee Cast Version) - Mason

Uptown Funk (Glee Cast Version) ND

Break Free (Glee Cast Version) -  Rachel - Beiste/ ND

Cool Kids (Glee Cast Version)

http://fyeahgleeclub.tumblr.com/post/111309657991/glee-the-music-child-star-lose-my-breath-glee

I think this is a revised list.

Edited by tom87

And here are the singers we know and my guesses on the others

• I Want to Break Free - Mason it seems in regards getting some room between him and Madison so he can date Jane
  • Break Free - Rachel & Beiste with Sam, Will, and Sue backing them up
  • Uptown Funk - New Directions
  • Lose My Breath -  my guess: perhaps Roderick & Spencer in regards to the weight loss/crush plot line.  
  • Friday I'm in Love - my guess: perhaps Mason and Jane
  • Cool Kids - my guess: Myron the "child star" and the rest of the cast
Edited by camussie

<p>

[*]Lose My Breath - my guess: perhaps Roderick & Spencer in regards to the weight loss

]

I'd die laughing if that's the case. And it would fit into the discussion on the songs thread about inappropriate context.

I agree with the poster who said Jane, Madison and Kitty would be great. It would be nice for them to do one Destiny's Child song without ruining it.

• Love 1

I agree with the poster who said Jane, Madison and Kitty would be great. It would be nice for them to do one Destiny's Child song without ruining it.

I'm a Survivor was flaw-free, Troubletones4Lyfe

• Love 1

I'd rather have no Finn at all in '2009' than a look-alike being shot from the back. It just doesn't feel right to me, and I can only imagine how that must feel like for the cast members in that scene.

Maybe someone mentioning him in a conversation would be nice (like "Have you seen that cool new quarterback?"), but otoh it might not be, as it would draw the attention painfully to him not being able to actually be there and the reason why that is.

• Love 2

So apparently Lea and Chris recorded on Friday (Darren today) one more time after they had tweeted their *last* recording session, which means perhaps a big group number added on is my guess.

Lea was "performing" her last solo in the auditorium today, and yes, there is a TONY Award ceremony to be filmed.

Edited by caracas1914

Oh so hope that there is a big group number finale. I would even be happy with everyone miming to the faceless studio singers if it meant I got a group number to end the show. In my perfect vision, I think I would love the last song to be Madonna's Take A Bow. It would help every season have a Madonna song, and I feel the chorus of the song has enough meta material to fit into all the meta this season while also acting as an appropriate goodbye song with the occasional misplaced lyrics.

• Love 1

Oh so hope that there is a big group number finale. I would even be happy with everyone miming to the faceless studio singers if it meant I got a group number to end the show. In my perfect vision, I think I would love the last song to be Madonna's Take A Bow. It would help every season have a Madonna song, and I feel the chorus of the song has enough meta material to fit into all the meta this season while also acting as an appropriate goodbye song with the occasional misplaced lyrics.

I actually really like this idea. A big group song doesn't need them to all be in one place together. I wouldn't mind each character having a line or two as part of a montage showing whatever they were doing now, or taking off onto their next thing.

If I can't have a Matt Rutherford "Pony" solo to end it, this is the second best choice. LOL

Edited by shantown
  • Love 1

Apparently Jonathan Groff, Lea and Andrew Rannels were spotted.

So I'm guessing Andrew Rannels in the Tony Awards ceremony where (WILD GUESS HERE) Rachel wins a Tony?    Interesting if  Jesse and Rachel end up as a couple in a flash forward.

If so, then Sam served his purpose as Rachel's fuck buddy to get her back to dating.

• Love 5

Good to hear AR will be there. Being on The New Normal really paid off. ;) Probably as the presenter reading her name? Guess NPH as Tony Awards host NPH would be too crazy for Glee (and he has better things to do).

Edited by indeed
  • Love 2