Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa: With a friend like this who needs enemies?

CofCinci

(edited)

5 bucks and a bag of donuts to the first person who can explain to me why these girls put up with her

Challenge accepted!

My guess would be it's because she's that boho chic, free-spirited friend that makes life and social functions interesting just by showing up. Hannah, perhaps, is jealous of Jessa's lack of attachment to anything.  Jessa dropped out of college, has been pretty much aimless ever since, and apparently, doesn't have to worry about rent and bills like the rest of the societal riff-raff.

As much as I disliked this book, Jessa reminds me of the Sils character from Lorrie Moore's Who Will Run The Frog Hospital? While Sils wasn't an awful person like Jessa is, she had the same natural coolness.  Berie, Sils's best friend, was in love with her.  Not in a sexual way, but because Sils personified everything that Berie wasn't. She was beautiful and effortless.

Or, they've been exposed to Jessa for so long that they ignore her sociopathic tendencies.

I don't understand what Jessa's angle is. She hurt her friend deeply just to get close to another guy? She had it out for Hannah that much all because Hannah dared to leave New York and go to grad school for five minutes? I hope those two have a serious "I'm not the wound. You're the wound!" type of fight in the finale about this. It's long overdue.

Edited by Sheenieb
  • Love 4

Jessa reminds me of the Sils character from Lorrie Moore

My guess would be it's because she's that boho chic, free-spirited friend that makes life and social functions interesting just by showing up.

Jessa reminds me of Serena from Gossip Girl. They have lots of "it factor" that make you feel bad and insecure but you can't help to be attracted to them, to aspire to be them. They also have that aura of carefreeness (is this a word? sorry! English is not my first language) and, like Sheenieb said, coolness. In real life I think it translate to that kind of person who appears to be so confident that you just want be around.

But for some reason I loved Serena but not so much with Jessa. Maybe because deep down I think Serena was just as insecure as the others and was kind of honest about this side of her. Also S was genuinely happy and excited when good things happened to her friends. Jessa is too blasé for me.

• Love 2

Jessa feels kind of symbolic of the deeply damaged friend that you find intriguing when you're young, but as you grow and mature and they stay in their dysfunction you slowly distance yourself. I had a few, kinda. I was never as enamored of these girls as some of my friends, but that type bothered me less when I was in my very early 20s. As I grew up it became harder and harder for me to even tolerate the level of bullshit Jessa types bring to every situation.

• Love 6

I think most of us have had a Jessa in our lives. As others have noted, she's effortless and carefree, people are sort of drawn to her without her even trying, etc. Like many sociopaths she's initially very charming, but ultimately toxic. Even the little glimmer of friendship (however misguided, because she was being a butt to Hannah by doing this) that many of us thought she was showing to Adam by setting him up with Mimi-Rose turned out to be completely in her own self-interest; she was just trying to get with Mimi-Rose's boyfriend. Well that's the Jessa we all know and despise.

• Love 1

Borderline and sociopath are two different things. Borderlines are more like Hannah than Jessa. They are not charming, they are not predatory, and although they might try to be manipulative (in the way that everyone tries to get what they want) they are awful at it. They're incredibly easy to manipulate, because if you praise them they are happy and if you insult them they become suicidal. Borderlines often have narcissistic friends, parents, and siblings who exploit them and abuse them. Most of them spend their teens and 20s in tears. Shoshanna and Hannah are more like Borderlines than Jessa. So is Marnie, for that matter.

Edited by AmandaPanda
  • Love 2

Jessa reminds me of the sociopath riddle. A sociopath meets a guy at her mother's funeral, and falls in love. She becomes convinced that they are soulmates, but she didn't give him her number and she doesn't know his last name. Three months later she kills her sister.

Because he'll probably come to the funeral.

I could totally see Jessa doing that. No wonder her old friend faked her own death to get away from her.

• Love 4

Jessa is out for herself, she set up her friends sort of ex with a new girl so that she could date the new girls boyfriend. What?!?!?! Who does that...?!?!? I mean.. I can't even comprehend someone would do this.  AND TO THEIR FRIEND!

I know, and when is Adam going to tell Hannah this?! 

• Love 1

Challenge accepted!

My guess would be it's because she's that boho chic, free-spirited friend that makes life and social functions interesting just by showing up. Hannah, perhaps, is jealous of Jessa's lack of attachment to anything.  Jessa dropped out of college, has been pretty much aimless ever since, and apparently, doesn't have to worry about rent and bills like the rest of the societal riff-raff.

As much as I disliked this book, Jessa reminds me of the Sils character from Lorrie Moore's Who Will Run The Frog Hospital? While Sils wasn't an awful person like Jessa is, she had the same natural coolness.  Berie, Sils's best friend, was in love with her.  Not in a sexual way, but because Sils personified everything that Berie wasn't. She was beautiful and effortless.

Or, they've been exposed to Jessa for so long that they ignore her sociopathic tendencies.

I don't understand what Jessa's angle is. She hurt her friend deeply just to get close to another guy? She had it out for Hannah that much all because Hannah dared to leave New York and go to grad school for five minutes? I hope those two have a serious "I'm not the wound. You're the wound!" type of fight in the finale about this. It's long overdue.

Do you like chocolate donuts or powdered?

HBO has been rerunning the past episodes for a few weeks and they played sit in the other night. This is the episode where I'm pretty sure the writers wrote to make me hate Jessa. It's the one after Hannah comes back from Iowa and refuses to leave her apartment after finding out about Adam and Mimi Rose. But seriously, I still don't understand the Jessa character. She is the worst. This episode is her swan song as a character.  It does however make me like Ray a lot more. Seriously, this episode is pretty much Jessa is the worst, Ray is the best. 

• Love 2

I have no rational explanation for her, or for me..in that she is my fave 'girl'.  I find Marnie much more irritating, selfish and reprehensible most of the time.

And, in fact, absolutely none of the 'girls' have very many redeeming characteristics, and I have no idea why anyone would be friends with any of them.

I'm still torn on the Mimi-Rose thing and just HOW terrible it might have been, or not been. As in: I'm still not completely sure what the status of Adam and Hannah's relationship was. She left NY, and seemingly left him. They appeared to have been broken up. So introducing the ex boyfriend of your friend to someone else so  you could get to HER ex boyfriend seems psychotic and dubious, but not necessarily evil. And her becoming involved with Adam SHOULD be all kinds of 'nope, you don't do that to a friend', and yet, I find them very sweet together.

I like Jessa's free spiritedness, her beauty, her occasional sweetness (Marnie's wedding, where she saved the day). These are shallow reasons, I'm aware. But I  could make a case for each of the other girls being just as terrible as her, or even worse, so maybe that's my answer.

• Love 2
On 1/30/2017 at 8:26 AM, luna1122 said:

I have no rational explanation for her, or for me..in that she is my fave 'girl'.  I find Marnie much more irritating, selfish and reprehensible most of the time.

And, in fact, absolutely none of the 'girls' have very many redeeming characteristics, and I have no idea why anyone would be friends with any of them.

I'm still torn on the Mimi-Rose thing and just HOW terrible it might have been, or not been. As in: I'm still not completely sure what the status of Adam and Hannah's relationship was. She left NY, and seemingly left him. They appeared to have been broken up. So introducing the ex boyfriend of your friend to someone else so  you could get to HER ex boyfriend seems psychotic and dubious, but not necessarily evil. And her becoming involved with Adam SHOULD be all kinds of 'nope, you don't do that to a friend', and yet, I find them very sweet together.

I like Jessa's free spiritedness, her beauty, her occasional sweetness (Marnie's wedding, where she saved the day). These are shallow reasons, I'm aware. But I  could make a case for each of the other girls being just as terrible as her, or even worse, so maybe that's my answer.

I really like Jessa, too. I'm not sure why thought because I feel like if I was friends with someone like Jessa in real life, it would be exhausting.

• Love 2