Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers & Speculation: Running Hot & Cold

• Start Topic

Oh, the irony, if Sara is the White Canary and Laurel is the Black Canary.

I'm still hoping CL is going to be playing Sara's evil twin though. Let's go full-on soap opera.

Maybe they will end up calling the show after an organization they form to connect the three shows, Justice Alliance or Guild (since I doubt they can have Justice League).

I like the idea of Sara waking up crazy and villain-ish and then becoming good. It gives her an arc over the season. And without that, it seems like the show is too villain-heavy unless Rip Hunter and Hawkgirl are full time rather than recurring.

I was under the impression that Rip, Hawkgirl and the black guy (and the other girl if she's not Hawkgirl, it's not quite clear) are all regulars. But who knows, everything may change. Personally, I hope they'll drop Heatwave, he feels bland and useless.

(edited)
On The Flash set, a sign was put on display by the crew welcoming the recently cast Ciara Renée as Kendra Saunders, better known to viewers as Hawkgirl. With The Flash currently filming it's season finale, the image seemed to indicate that Hawkgirl may appear in some capacity during The Flash's season finale. When the crew was asked whether or not she will appear in the show, they admitted that she will not be. If she is not there to be part of The Flash finale, what exactly is Renée doing on set?

Which DC Character was on the 'Flash' Set?!

by Brian Medina ⋅ Posted on April 9th, 2015 at 1:22am

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/04/09/which-dc-character-was-on-the-flash-set-2844515?lt_source=external,manual

Edited by tv echo

White Canary is a villain huh? So I'm guessing putting Sara in the LP months and months after she died is going to turn her evil.

I think Sara was already a antihero. She did struggle with her past and tried to atone for being an assassin, while still having a somewhat ruthless approach to arising problems (like when Roy killed a cop). I wouldn't mind, though, if her resurrection had an effect on her (makes sense, stuff like this should have severe consequences) and she would have to struggle even more. Hell, to tell the truth, I love her so much I can forgive her any villainous stuff she does (especially if it's cause by outside factors).

Yeah, if they make her the White Canary - who has the rep for being a villain - they may feel that Sara's past affiliation with the LoA fulfills the quota for "evil" tendencies and they can move the character forward directly to more hero with a grey view on killing (cause some people might just need killing)

If they do go with a white costume (likely not solid white - maybe grey next to black) then I wonder if she'd don a black wig.

I just have this feeling that if the breakout star of this show turns out to be someone other than Ray (which yeah, that's probably gonna happen), it won't matter, and the EPs will continue to shove the guy in our face on a weekly basis.  They spent big bucks hiring Superman, they built him an Iron Man costume, they named this show Atom, and this was the original plan, damn it!  I can see them forcing it even if it's not working (here's where I'm hoping the network will intervene if it gets too ridiculous).  

• Love 5

I was in the supermarket and I thought may be it will be titled ATOMIC JUSTICE. Its cheesy, but it incorporates two of their favorite themes Atom & justice.

If Ray can keep his shiny suit & Capt Cold his fur collar - then I don't see why they couldn't try to make a white suit work for CL if they go the White Canary route. A black wig would be kinda cool.

• Love 1
(edited)

A white suit might not make much sense for stealth purposes, but neither does green and red and both Oliver and Roy seem to do okay. Besides, their idea of stealth is basically the camera isn't pointed at us, they enter scenes by firing arrows so even if they do make Sara the White Canary it's really not any stranger than anything else. Besides, with captain showoff...I mean, Ray around stealth isn't much of an option anyway. For that matter maybe he'll make her a white suit that turns invisible or blends into the background or something.

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 1

I think Oliver's costume worked very well for stealth, especially before Cisco got ahold of it. And Roys is semi dark and includes black. An all white costume would stand out like a sore thumb.

• Love 1

I just have this feeling that if the breakout star of this show turns out to be someone other than Ray (which yeah, that's probably gonna happen), it won't matter, and the EPs will continue to shove the guy in our face on a weekly basis.  They spent big bucks hiring Superman, they built him an Iron Man costume, they named this show Atom, and this was the original plan, damn it!  I can see them forcing it even if it's not working (here's where I'm hoping the network will intervene if it gets too ridiculous).  

I still think there is a strong chance that he will be perceived in a very different way once they stop trying to stick him where he doesn't belong.  Let his behavior match the tone of the episode.  Let him be more layered. Let him be useful and add to an episode instead of being the jarring reason you are being taken out of it.  It isn't fair to judge his final character on the shoe horned way they've used him on Arrow (which in turned misused and shoehorned Felicity in there too)

I think Oliver's costume worked very well for stealth, especially before Cisco got ahold of it. And Roys is semi dark and includes black. An all white costume would stand out like a sore thumb.

That why I suggested grey, which if seen in deep shadows could be misinterpreted as white but in semi shadows could add to her blending into the shadows (grey being harder to see than black or white at night)  If it was mostly black but with some lighter highlights (or maybe even just a symbol?) then it still could be more functional than the bebuckled outfit of the other bird.  

• Love 2

That why I suggested grey, which if seen in deep shadows could be misinterpreted as white but in semi shadows could add to her blending into the shadows (grey being harder to see than black or white at night) If it was mostly black but with some lighter highlights (or maybe even just a symbol?) then it still could be more functional than the bebuckled outfit of the other bird.

that could work very well.

• Love 2

Silver & grey are very close, so maybe that is the best option. :)

But I still want a dark wig, if they are going the wig route. Frankly, the blonde wig on blonde hair never seemed like the best disguise to protect one's identity.

• Love 1

I'm telling you, that person is going to need to be hospitalized when Sara shows back up.  I don't really get it, though...they're on different shows, and if you think KC is an awesome Black Canary, then who cares if there's another one out there?  You should almost want the comparison, because you know your Canary will win.

• Love 6

She's telling everyone that we are grasping at straws with a picture of someone holding straws. That we need to face reality, Sara Lance is dead and Caity is moving onto another character in the DC verse (that happens to go by the exact name Sara was using only adding a color)

She says that White Canary has no connection to the Black Canary. Then she goes on to say that White Canary is an enemy of the Black Canary. Which makes no sense, how is she not connected if she's her enemy?

She seems really threatened by the possibility, which is why she has to keep screaming about on tumblr. If she didn't care she wouldn't need to talk about it. 

Edited by Sakura12

Oh boy.

How could anyone think that CL could play anyone but Sara Lance?! She was pretty much a main character in s2 so everyone is going to recognize her as Sara. It even takes place in the same universe. She's obviously not going to be BC because Laurel single-white-female'd that away from her but she'll still be Sara, surely. I can't see the alternative. She can be another alter ego but I'll be pretty shocked if she doesn't come back as Sara Lance.

• Love 2

The biggest thing is, if she's not Sara, why would she be going by the same name? She can add any color to it, it's still The Canary. No one is going to go with oh this person looks exactly like Sara and is going by the same name as Sara, but it's not Sara. How would that even work? 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 4

If they were going to have Caity play a character other than Sara Lance, why in the world would it be White Canary of all the characters she could play? That would be incredibly stupid of TPTB, if you ask me.

• Love 4

I still think Sara Lance is not dead. They went to many many lengths to tell us she is dead, dead, dead. So I can't imagine that they are just gonna bring her back from the dead. In retrospect, the one thing they never did was a DNA test to confirm that it was SL that was shot with the arrows. It would be diabolical but I could see Ras or even MM sending a look-a-like to be killed in her place. So if they want to bring SL back, the only thing they have to do is say that she was on some secret justice mission. That way they are still right in killing her, but also epic/game-changing by having their be a secret plot and gotcha moments.

They want the original version of Canary to remain dead. They don't want their plot undone. She died and they want her death to remain canon (even if it was a stand in). I have no idea what their original spin-off plans were, but I don't think CL was an original part of those plans in their infancy. I think the panel where they took a lot of heat for having almost no females on the panel was an eye-opening experience for them. Add to that the lack-luster fan response to Ray and the growing interest in Firestorm, I think they saw the perfect opportunity to create a team-up show that they can do their ATOM thing and incorporate all these other cool things that the fans are responding to and asking for.

• Love 3

That makes a lot of sense, kismet.  These EPs have a bad habit of burning their bridges behind them, and then finding they're stuck with little way to get off.  They wanted to make sure that Laurel got to be BC without having any Sara comparisons, and then found out that even dead, Sara was more popular.  And when their Atom pilot didn't fly, and there were complaints at the TCAs, they realized that there was a handy, dandy Lazarus Pit already established.

I will be surprised is Sara isn't LP'd.

I keep reading suggestings that the float character will be Laurel, if only because they don't know what to do with her on Arrow.  Looking forward to the reactions of some people when we see Black Canary and White Canary fight side by side.

• Love 1

If I may be so bold. That person is clearly an idiot. I'm not a fan of white washing characters, but White Canary is no Lady Shiva, who cares if she's white. She's also obviously connected to Canary considering the character is only around because she hates the Canary and wants revenge.

In this show Shado is a protagonist slash martyr, The Huntress a villain. Atom is iron man.

Though I'm intrigued by the brothers in silk.

Shave the beard, shave the beard!

Sorry.

I also saw on another board that MG said Laurel and Amanda are not the Floater so I think that solidifies the idea of it being Lyla (at least in my mind).  Congrats to those that came up with Lyla as the floater, I believe you're right.

They're either filming something on Flash finale that sets up the spin-off, or they're coming in for costume/mask fittings (although that shouldn't be required for CL) or they're possibly filming some teaser vids for the spin-off.  Those are my guesses anyway, which cover many bases.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2
nostabbingwednesdays asked:

Is it purely coincidence that Arthur Darvill got cast as Rip Hunter? I mean, being able to travel through time IS a nice skill to have on your resumé. Regardless, super excited for this spin off. You guys are doing wonders for the DC Comics world, especially by giving some less acknowledged heroes a voice and representation in this crazy superhero world.

Arthur won the role because he gave the best audition.

http://marcguggenheim.tumblr.com/

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Oh boy.

How could anyone think that CL could play anyone but Sara Lance?! She was pretty much a main character in s2 so everyone is going to recognize her as Sara. It even takes place in the same universe. She's obviously not going to be BC because Laurel single-white-female'd that away from her but she'll still be Sara, surely. I can't see the alternative. She can be another alter ego but I'll be pretty shocked if she doesn't come back as Sara Lance.

When they first announced it would be Caity and didn't name her as Sara - I had hoped she was going to play a different role altogether (just because I didn't want to see Canary comparisons anymore).  I figured if Caity cut her hair and died it and was mostly seen in a mask, they could get away with it.  They could have some running jokes about how much she looks like Sara, but it would have worked for me. Amusingly enough, the character I most wanted her to play was Hawkgirl but figured it wouldn't happen because they wouldn't bring in aliens.  I didn't know the reincarnated version of New 52 Earth 2 Hawkgirl at the time.

But anyway, after this, when they announced Rip, I was kind of liking the idea that Caity would be playing Sara/Laurel's great, grandmother that was brought forward in time (as Lady Blackhawk) so she would again, be a different character but they could explain away her appearance.

Now that we know she is White Canary, there is NO chance it won't be Sara.  It's just a matter of if she is Sara who was put in the LP, an AU Sara, a clone of Sara, etc.....

RE the Floater: So they have pretty much said not Felicity and not Laurel right?  We know it won't be Oliver and I don't think it will be Thea. So that should leave Lyla, Diggle, and Roy though I guess there is an argument for Merlyn (but I hope not).  Personally, I would love it if it was Nyssa!

Edited by nksarmi

So they are really filming the pilot for the spin-off? Or are these characters gonna show up on Arrow?

Caity and the actress playing Hawkgirl have been spotted on the Flash set. From that it looks like they are appearing in the Flash finale. I suppose it makes sense to launch the spin off from there, Flash is the more popular show at the moment. 

Please, no to Merlyn being the floater. He's only slightly better than Laurel. Lyla probably works the best, she's a former Argus agent which can help everyone and is not a main character on Arrow. 

So they are really filming the pilot for the spin-off? Or are these characters gonna show up on Arrow?

There is no pilot for the spin-off, it's a straight to series situation.  If the CW likes the script, the premise, the cast/characters and the tie in with Arrow/Flash they'll announce the show for next season and it will go into production in August/September.

Whatever they're doing now is either tying into the Flash/Arrow finale, costume fitting/pre-production work, or as one site suggested using Flash sets/studio to film teaser videos for the spin-off.  

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

The Flash finale airs after Upfronts [CW is presenting May 14, the day after the Arrow finale], so if they announce the spinoff during Upfronts, they can even have the teaser air attached to the Flash finale.

Or maybe these folks are part of The Flash finale, what do I know. :)

The Flash finale airs after Upfronts [CW is presenting May 14, the day after the Arrow finale], so if they announce the spinoff during Upfronts, they can even have the teaser air attached to the Flash finale.

Or maybe these folks are part of The Flash finale, what do I know. :)

forgot about that, Supernatural and Flash  end the week after Upfronts.

While i think there's  99% chance this show is getting picked up. Could you imagine them doing all of this work and then The CW passing on the project?  Especially if they're tying it into the finale?  LOL

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

They are definitely filming something. 

The White Canary rumor started because Caity was spotted wearing white on set. White what they didn't say, I suppose they could have her new suit already since they know CL's size. 

So they have pretty much said not Felicity and not Laurel right?

Have they?

There is no pilot for the spin-off, it's a straight to series situation.  If the CW likes the script, the premise, the cast/characters and the tie in with Arrow/Flash they'll announce the show for next season and it will go into production in August/September.

So then its a pilot?, because if it was a straight to series they wouldnt have to wait to see if they like it, would they?

Edited by Conell

Have they?

So then its a pilot?, because if it was a straight to series they wouldnt have to wait to see if they like it, would they?

That's not what i said at all.  If there was a pilot there would be something filmed.  There is no pilot episode being filmed, that was stated in the deadline article.

However there is a script written or being written that the network will read and use that as the basis for their decision.  Other things that factor into their decision the  premise for the show and a season long plot (which all shows have to provide and get approval for, even existing shows), as well as cost.  If the CW picks the show up there will be no pilot filmed it will go straight into production as a series.

I've heard of cases where instead of doing a full pilot a show will do something shorter called a presentation. Maybe that's what they're doing with this spin-off?

DRAMA/COMEDY PRESENTATION | Occasionally, due to time or budget restraints, a network won’t order a full pilot but a “presentation” of a not-quite-complete drama or a taste of what a sitcom would look like.

http://tvline.com/2015/01/29/pilot-season-abc-cbs-cw-fox-nbc-2015-2016/

Edited by DrSpaceman10
  • Love 1

I think that one key factor to Ray's success on the spinoff is the amount of audience overlap there will be between the two shows.  Arrow viewers have already made up their mind about Ray.  I'm sure that the EPs believe differently, but removing him from the love triangle may not be enough to change people's opinions of him since people were hating on him before he showed any romantic interest in Felicity (just go and check the episode threads---people were put off by his behavior almost immediately).  For an entire season, this dislike has been festering, growing to outright hatred, in some cases.  If you watched Arrow and hated the guy, there's no guarantee that all of that is just going to fade away and everything will be fine and dandy.  From what I have witnessed, BR just doesn't have the charisma and likability needed to overcome everything that's already stacked against him.

• Love 4
I've heard of cases where instead of doing a full pilot a show will do something shorter called a presentation. Maybe that's what they're doing with this spin-off?

It's possible that's what they're doing but in the past that's usually announced in the media.  This show just seems to be getting an order (if that happens) based on the DC brand, and the reception of the characters that are currently (formerly) on Arrow/Flash.  

Edited by Morrigan2575

Now that we know she is White Canary, there is NO chance it won't be Sara. 

Do we know that, though?

Since both Arrow and Flash are supposed to be launching the new show, it makes sense that some scenes need to be shot with the new cast.

• Love 1