Type keyword(s) to search

SG:1 The Great Rewatch Planning Committee

I think starting with the Dean Devlin-Roland Emmerich movie is the only way to start. Should we watch the aired pilot or the recut pilot they released a few years ago.

Edited by maculae

I'm here. And I guess now I have to buy all the seasons.

I vote season 1, but that's because I purchase in chronological order and haven't bought season 2 yet. I'm debating whether to go expensive individual seasons or horribly reviewed and scratched but cheaper box set.

I'm ok with movie first though if that's the consensus.

Edited by ParadoxLost

Should we watch the aired pilot or the recut pilot they released a few years ago.

I think we should watch what is available. I have the DVD set and Amazon. I don't think either of them have the re-cut CotG and I'm OK with that. Was there anything besides the full-frontal scene cut/added?

I think we should watch what is available. I have the DVD set and Amazon. I don't think either of them have the re-cut CotG and I'm OK with that. Was there anything besides the full-frontal scene cut/added?

Cut: Carter's reproductive organs line; MacGyver line; Kawalski being taken over, Kawalski not knowing about Charlie.

Added or changed: Chris Judge re-recorded all his lines. Amanda Tapping and Michael Shanks have a new scene. Some better effects. Peter Williams refilmed his SGC scene. Some part of the briefing. Completely new music, original one used the movie soundtrack, this used the guy who composed for SG 1

Not too sure, but they may have used different takes for some scenes.

Eta: 16x9 and 5.1 surround sound.

Edited by maculae

Except for the full frontal Sha're, I prefer the original pilot, but then I'm a purist.  I have the entire series, the original movie, the "new" pilot, and the direct to DVD movies, so I'm in!  (Except for season 6.  I own it, but I won't watch it.)

Cut: Carter's reproductive organs line; MacGyver line; Kawalski being taken over, Kawalski not knowing about Charlie.

Added or changed: Chris Judge re-recorded all his lines. Amanda Tapping and Michael Shanks have a new scene. Some better effects. Peter Williams refilmed his SGC scene. Some part of the briefing. Completely new music, original one used the movie soundtrack, this used the guy who composed for SG 1

Not too sure, but they may have used different takes for some scenes.

Eta: 16x9 and 5.1 surround sound.

Well that will teach me not to watch directors cuts. I blame Lucas and his "new and improved re-cut Star Wars" for scarring me for life.

Off to Amazon to buy CotG.

Please break up the discussion into seasons or even episode maybe? While the mighty weight of a 1000 page thread is a fun goal, having multiple threads is easier to digest, and is less intimidating to new people. You have a whole forum, use it! :)

• Love 1

Sounds good to me, seasons maybe?  There are more than 200 eps and since it's been over for a while you'd likely end up with more posts trying to have episode threads.  

I am in to attempt any kind of rewatch.  I have Amazon Prime and the seasons...because I take my greek status seriously and I used to have insomnia like whoa... 

I'm with anstar, except for the "let's strip Sha're in the only nudity the show will ever have!" scene I like the original pilot best. Michael Shanks Spader impression and all. 

• Love 1

I seem to be in the minority in preferring the recut of CotG. For instance, Carter grows substantially as a character simply by removing of few of her more egregious lines and giving a few additional reaction shots. We do lose a few good moments, like the opening crane shot and Major Samuels getting upstaged by a tree branch. The removal of Kowalski getting snaked is going to make hash of "The Enemy Within," I admit. And I miss Teal'c surrendering his staff weapon to Carter, the start of a beautiful, 10-season arc.

The only addition at which I balk is Teal'c telling Jack he knew the Tau'ri were the ones to liberate his (and other) people from the Goa'uld because they had hella technology. The snakeheads aren't any slouch in that department. I like to believe (and fanwank, I guess) that Teal'c switched sides because there was something about Jack and his team that persuaded him that they were the real deal, as potential liberators went.

Oh, and not so much an addition to the pilot as a recut: Jack shoots down a Death Glider near the end, making the score: Tau'ri 2, Goa'uld 0. Brad Wright says he did this because, otherwise, Daniel and Jack just lose, lose and lose again during the pilot and needed a victory to offset a rather downbeat story.

I seem to be in the minority in preferring the recut of CotG. For instance, Carter grows substantially as a character simply by removing of few of her more egregious lines and giving a few additional reaction shots. We do lose a few good moments, like the opening crane shot and Major Samuels getting upstaged by a tree branch. The removal of Kowalski getting snaked is going to make hash of "The Enemy Within," I admit. And I miss Teal'c surrendering his staff weapon to Carter, the start of a beautiful, 10-season arc.

I'm with you, I too enjoy the recut.

Why can't we watch both? Watch the recut and then watch the original to get into The Enemy Within?  The recut is signifcantly better cinematically in terms of flow, the characters, the music, and dialogue. It removes a lot of discrepencies that may have popped up later in the show and addresses a lot of the holes and other issues it had in general. However, you simply cannot watch The Enemy Within without the necessary scenes with Kawalski. The recut grew from the show and is a great standalone feature. The show grew from the original despite being mildly cringeworthy at times. It's tons of fun watching them back to back.

Sounds good to me, seasons maybe?  There are more than 200 eps and since it's been over for a while you'd likely end up with more posts trying to have episode threads.

Seasons sounds like a great idea. Would it be a one episode a week thing? Or one episode a day? Or multiple episodes a week but not quite one a day?

Edited by maculae

I like threads by seasons. We could do 3 episodes a week? It's not like there are spoilers so as long as someone doesn't go crazy and marathon it I think can keep up with the discussion. There was a re-watch started a few years ago but by season 4 or so it faded out as life took over.

I think we should let the masses congregate and from glancing over there it seems a lot of people are waiting for TVWoP to turn out the lights before migrating. I'd rather wait a few weeks unless our masses show up early.

But that's just my opinion. What do you think?

Hi I'm Featherhat and I seem to be a diehard SG-1. I was seriously comforted to see a forum here minutes after I learned of this places' existence I'll go with whatever recap. I've found a nostalgic place for 1997 Sam in all her awkward glory (that briefing scene is almost the only thing I notice that is different.)It's very cringy but one of the only good things about SGU was that it did sort of complete her personal journey. (Jack and Daniel mostly *devolved* but that's another thread. ) 

But that's just my opinion. What do you think?

I was about to grab a bowl of fruit loops, but I think I'll get some oatmeal.

Let's start the rewatch for June, when TWoP officially closes. It'll be a nice welcome to previously.tv for everyone.

If you have Amazon Prime it's streaming there. Some seasons might still be on non-US Netflix.

Of course, I would never suggest anything in any way questionable, but it's available on Canadian Netflix. *winks dramatically*

I'm with you, I too enjoy the recut.

Same, although I don't think that it functions well as a pilot, but rather as a treat for fans who have already seen the series; The Line,, for example, is really needed for future jokes at its expense. But I quite like the re-cut, it flows far better.

I suck at clever titles, and don't want to be the one to start a thread with a title everyone thinks is lame...but for season 1 I keep thinking about the puppets from 200 (in season 10).  Season 1...We Found the Ring in the Sand. Thoughts, suggestions, rotten fruit to throw?

• Love 1

Hi, can I play? I binge watched the show when it was already over, so, while I did catch up on most of the discussion over at TWOP over the years, I would love to do a rewatch with concurrent discussion. I also vote for season threads and waiting until TWOP switches the lights off completely. I plan on staying there until the bitter end. Oh, and no, I'm no good a titles. I'm not that witty.

Absolutely, supposebly, the best thing about scifi fans is we always gladly make room at the figurative cafeteria table for all fans.  Stick your tray down and share some thoughts.  

anstar, I love that title.  Let's do that.  

Hey, how about this, why don't we start a season thread once per month?  That way it isn't "this week we watch This and That" which is where our rewatches always go wrong, because it is too long of a time commitment and with so many seasons, too much to keep track of for people.  Also, we're all longtime fans so there are invariably "oh my gods and demons, do I really have to watch Hathor sex up O'Neill??" type of episodes that aren't as fun to rewatch and the only way to get through them -- speaking solely for me -- is to barrel on through them.  

So what if we had "In the month of April, rewatch and discuss Season One, at your own pace" type of schedule, May season two, etc. ?  While having all season threads available for ongoing discussion and if anyone wants to jump ahead because they couldn't sleep or had a full weekend free (or those Doritos weren't just going to eat themselves) .  That way we're not locking anyone down, holding anyone back or trying to keep too swift a pace.  

Any thoughts? Suggestions?  Creative places you'd like me to shove my DVDs? (in that home brewing kit gathering dust in the storage space, as a for instance).  

It's just with ten seasons, it's hard to schedule X number per week, etc. without losing half the watchers by the third season.  

Thank you, (wants to call you Glark, but I'm trying here), David! That would be cool.  Can we hit you up when we settle on a way to do this?  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 3
Hey, how about this, why don't we start a season thread once per month?

Best!idea!ever! x number of episodes a week is a lot of pressure. 

Also, we're all longtime fans so there are invariably "oh my gods and demons, do I really have to watch Hathor sex up O'Neill??

I'd like to watch the episodes where O'Neill (2 Ls) sexes up Daniel. kthx

(or those Doritos weren't just going to eat themselves)

I have Doritos??

Hey, how about this, why don't we start a season thread once per month?  That way it isn't "this week we watch This and That" which is where our rewatches always go wrong, because it is too long of a time commitment and with so many seasons, too much to keep track of for people.  Also, we're all longtime fans so there are invariably "oh my gods and demons, do I really have to watch Hathor sex up O'Neill??" type of episodes that aren't as fun to rewatch and the only way to get through them -- speaking solely for me -- is to barrel on through them.  

So what if we had "In the month of April, rewatch and discuss Season One, at your own pace" type of schedule, May season two, etc. ?  While having all season threads available for ongoing discussion and if anyone wants to jump ahead because they couldn't sleep or had a full weekend free (or those Doritos weren't just going to eat themselves) .  That way we're not locking anyone down, holding anyone back or trying to keep too swift a pace.

I'm down with the season-month idea. Perhaps we should start in May? April would be too soon. By May, most people will know about the closing of TWoP and have migrated over if they wish. It also gives enough time for people to figure out how they're going to watch it and get whatever they need to be able to watch it.  By the time TWoP closes at the end of May, we'll have a very active board that people could jump right into.

I still believe that we should watch the Devlin-Emmerich movie; CotG recut; CotG original -->rest of season 1. We can have different threads:

May preshow rewatch Stargate (1994) movie - (insert tag here)

May preshow rewatch Stargate CotG recut - (insert tag here)

May Season 1 official rewatch -We Found the Ring in the Sand

June Season 2 official rewatch - (insert tag here)

etc...

But what do you guys think? (Someone already used the Daniel joke)

Any thoughts? Suggestions?  Creative places you'd like me to shove my DVDs? (in that home brewing kit gathering dust in the storage space, as a for instance).

It also gives you enough time to do a new brew that would be ready by the time the rewatch starts with your home brewing kit. I'm going to make a one gallon brew of Abydos Ale ~10%ABV (in honor of the stuff they gave O'Neill in CotG) and a 5 gallon Chappa'aIPA next weekend when I figure out the recipe.

• Love 1

I'm in.  SG-1 is pretty much my favorite TV show ever, and its been a few years since I've watched it.  Enough time has passed so it will be interesting to see it all again, and there will be some moments I don't remember.

One season per month sounds like a great schedule.  

Of course, we have to start with the movie, in order to start the story at the beginning.

All this home brew talk has me nostalgic for the Hooch. (and the fanwacks).  I love the idea of a season a month.  That is so much easier than, "this week, watch Emancipation and Hathor".

I still believe that we should watch the Devlin-Emmerich movie; CotG recut; CotG original -->rest of season 1. We can have different threads:
etc...

This works for me!

SG1 is one of my favourite SF shows, so I'm definitely on board for the rewatch! I was thinking about going back and rewatching the show for a long time now, so this seems like the perfect opportunity to do it now. I still have fond memories of the cheesiness of the first couple of seasons (O'Neill as a caveman! Seemingly important aliens that are never seen again! Daniel's hair!).

May as a start works for me as well, although I do think we'd be fine starting in April too.  

The cool thing about rewatches is that people can also just sort of focus on the episodes they just really like to revisit and not dwell too much on ...oh...Emancipation (written by a woman, y'all, the SG1 factoid that still floors me) ...if they don't feel like it, if we have a less formalized structure.  The reason I think it would be fine to start in April is I personally think that Season 1 is the season in the early years most likely to have the "Why don't I just read the episode description on that one and call it watched, because EGADS that was bad." episodes.  

It's also got truly good, fun and team building episodes too, but -- and clearly whatever works for the majority is what is best -- I figured it would be the least discussed of the seasons and therefore it wouldn't matter too much if the rewatch attendance was lower than it might otherwise be.  

What do you guys think?  It's just in the past and with a lot of scifi shows (exception being my seldom spoken of these days, BSG) first seasons tend to be a little scattershot and "they were still finding their feet" and ye gods and little fishes, was that ever the case here (in my opinion, but ...Emancipation and Hathor, yo).  

It's also not like a rewatch thread will be closed at the end of the month.  By July, say, there should be two or three seasons open for viewing, and I know I'll be jumping around.  I may be watching a season 3 episode when I notice activity in the season 1 thread. I'm headed straight over, probably to give my two cents. Then I'll go back.  A less structured 'rewatch' is bound to be more successful over the long term.  Most of these attempts seem to fizzle after a few months.

She speaks...she dies! was written by a woman.  How sad.

Yes, after they are freed by the Head Mongol in Space.  So they are gifted with their freedom from head dude.  

So "uplifting" in that "I only vaguely want to throw myself into a volcano now" way.  Also, Sam becomes magically competent again when she puts her pants back on and freed from the dazzling dress of distracting cleavage, Daniel, Jack and Teal'c are able to talk to her again without being stuck dumb after she conceals her killer breasts once more. 

Okay, so maybe a "where's a volcano when you need one?" moment or two.  

Oh hey! There's a creative idea for where I could stick my DVDs!

• Love 1

I'm more thrilled than I should be to see this rewatch being planned. I've been glancing toward all my shiny DVD cases over the last couple of weeks, and thinking that I really should watch My Show (named thus as it was one of the first sci-fi shows that I ever chose to watch, not prodded by family or friends) again, and the idea of having like-minded fans to discuss with is fabulous! 

One season a month is pretty much perfect, and starting in May means that I can be in the swing of that as the "oh by the gods how is it possible that my kid is old enough to leave for college already?" hits me in August/September, when I'll likely need a distraction. Really looking forward to it!

etc...

I'm in! I'm good with the order, too- oh my gosh, it's been so long since I've seen the film... so many Boston Legal and Blacklist jokes to use! This is gonna be fuuuuuuun! :D

Re-watch sounds like an awesome idea but I know I won't have any time any time soon to do it. My first time through the series I posted my thoughts on each episode as I saw it on TWoP. Recycling would be tacky, wouldn't it?

Since the first season is up and discussion is going on there, we should think of tags for the rest of the seasons. Season 1 was "We Found the Ring in the Sand".

This is the schedule I emailed to David:

April = Stargate 1994 movie/Stargate Pilot Children of the gods RECUT /Stargate season 1
May = Season 2
June = Season 3
July = Season 4
August = Season 5
September = Season 6
October = Season 7
November = Season 8
December = Season 9
January 2015 = Season 10/Stargate DVD movies - Ark of Truth & Continuum

So which season should we deem as being All About the Hair?  

I'm thinking four would be the best bet for that.  Shanks lost the Daniel Floppy 'doo ,  Sam's hair range is almost impossible to describe.  Teal'c didn't start growing hair and I don't think he'd lost the gilding either, but RDA definitely wasn't attempting to hide the gray.   So I think Four is the best representation of "Stargate: It's all about the hair" out of all the seasons, but I remain unsure. 

Season six has just too many possibilities but I'm suggesting "Season Six: Year of the Probie"  Season Seven, maybe "Is that a Jacksicle?" 

Okay, I need to stop.  Sorry.  Awoke this morning to a Tornado warning at five and if you look at my avatar, that's my dog.  My dog who is terrified of thunder and lightning.  Apparently she reserves the true "ZOMG! Mama! Papa!! SAVE ME!!" freak outs for tornado warnings before dawn.  Poor thing.  Poor us. 

I'm thinking four would be the best bet for that.

As soon as I saw the question, my answer was 4! Then I saw it was your idea too.  So, I second it.  Season 4: It's All About the Hair.

Urgo's lament popped into my head for some reason.  I want to live! I want to experience the universe. And I want to eat pie.

I don't know if we can make it fit, if it makes any sense, or if maybe I should just go take my medicine, but I like Season ??: Experience the Universe and Eat Pie.

• Love 2
(edited)

Ok FYI So far:

Season 2:
Season 3: Experience the Universe and Eat Pie
Season 4: It's All About the Hair
Season 5:
Season 6:Year of the Probie
Season 7: Is that a Jacksicle?
Season 8:
Season 9: Battle of the Butts
Season 10:

Feel free to yay or nay & think of new tags!

ETA: We have months so take your time! :-)

Edited by maculae
  • Love 1
(edited)

I have no clever ideas, but I'm just tiptoeing in to say that I'd love to join you! I've only seen the series once and have a sieve-like memory, so it'll be sort of like having a newbie on board with you. Fair warning: I think S9 was my very favorite season, and I absolutely loved Ark of Truth. In other words, I have odd taste. ;)

This is such a mood-boosting show with a sense of fun and wonder so lacking from much of today's grim sci-fi. I'm very excited to rewatch as much of it as I can with you guys! 

Edited by mstaken
  • Love 1
air warning: I think S9 wa smy very favorite season, and I absolutely loved Ark of Truth. In other words, I have odd taste. ;)

Com'traya!

I enjoyed S9 and AoK too.  You aren't alone. :) 

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm no expert on this show either, mstaken - I would have no idea what "it's all about the hair" meant for example without someone explaining it to me.  There are a lot of episodes I've only watched once.  I'm pretty sure there are a few I've never seen.  I like S9 and even S10, and Cam.  My memory is like a sieve if someone jabbed a big hole into the sieve.  I'm glad you're joining up!

Edit: Forgive me but, I didn't notice this got changed from June to April until just now.

Edited by random chance
  • Love 1