Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: The Distance

HalcyonDays
  • Start Topic

I loved that Michonne regained some skepticism when she realized there were no people in the pictures. Though as someone else pointed out, it's surprising she could see anything in the pictures in the backseat of a moving car at nightime with no lights. Likewise, when Rick was reading the map to tell Glen where to go, I was thinking "Dam! I wish my eyesight was still that good that I could read a roadmap (which always have tiny print) in the dark in a moving car without glasses!".

It was posts from viewers in Season One speculating about how to survive a ZA that made me finally follow through on having my eyes lasered so I didn't need contacts or glasses anymore.  I now have 20/20.  I know.  Admitting this is sad.

I really want there to be something to Alexandria that is different from Woodbury, Terminus, the Claimers, the Hospital/Cops that were holding people hostage, etc.  Yes, human beings can be horrible despicable people, but not everyone is like that.

• Love 5

Of course your opinion counts. I'm not gay man (or even a straight man), a lesbian or a post-pubescent boy but can still have thoughts and opinions on scenes involving any of those individuals.

Everyone's thoughts and opinion count, as long as it's respectful and doesn't slam anyone else, or dismiss others because they are not the same.

As for the "outrage" at the gay kiss. I thought it was sweet...Awww... Also, for those outraging, there were so others things that happened in that episode, but hey lets focus on that kiss. Rotting zombie bodies turned to mush all over a car, and two people pulling rotting guts out of a grille - hey, not a problem! The worry that going to this safe place would be another Terminus or Woodbury. Who cares. The team fighting off a huge number of walkers. Meh.

But wait, what? A kiss between two men!! OMG!! Cue REM: "It's the end of the world as we know it..."

Idiots.

• Love 14
Speaking of Carol, the character reminded me of why I can't stand her with her passive-aggressive aside to Rick outside Alexandria.  If she thought Rick was right, why didn't she speak up when Michonne was asking if anyone thought Alexandria was a bad idea?  Because she's such a meek little thing?  That  moment showed that she's a piece of work.

I didn't think Carol meant that Rick was right in that exact situation. I thought she meant he was right to be cautious in general, but that he was wrong about Aaron and this specific community. I think that was her way of acknowledging how much Rick loves them all and how hard it must be to make tough calls, but also letting him know sometimes he has to take a chance. So I'm of the opinion that she didn't speak up because she didn't think it was a bad idea either. 

• Love 11

I agree, ghoulina.  Carol knew that even though he was wrong about not trusting a stranger right away this time, in general in this world you are right to be suspicious in general.

Man, you'd think after all the years of listening to people carp about Carol "undermining" Rick and his decision, that they'd be overjoyed that she's backing him up these days. 

You'd be wrong.

• Love 9

I don't really read the entertainment sections of newspapers much; obviously not as much as I should (?) because I was in the dark about a backlash.

We've talked so much about the episode here and it never came up as a problem for anyone. I saw a Daily Mail headline that "Americans freak out over gay kiss" and I dismissed it as a National Enquirer type attempt to shit-stir. Now I find out there really was some bad reaction...wow.

I loved the scene and that had nothing to do with it being a "gay" kiss; I didn't qualify it anymore than I would see Glenn and Maggie and think Wow, such a great heterosexual kiss that was.

I felt like it was so true to good people really being terrified in that world and reuniting safe and the bit when Eric even saved a license plate and Aaron can't speak and Eric says you lost your collection? and Aaron answers I lost the carThere was no anger or regret it was something bad that became a silly laugh because of the relief they were alive and knew what is important and what isn't.

• Love 10

I didn't think Carol meant that Rick was right in that exact situation. I thought she meant he was right to be cautious in general, but that he was wrong about Aaron and this specific community. I think that was her way of acknowledging how much Rick loves them all and how hard it must be to make tough calls, but also letting him know sometimes he has to take a chance. So I'm of the opinion that she didn't speak up because she didn't think it was a bad idea either. 

That's not the impression I got at all.  This was the same move that Carol used in the past to 'undermine' Rick, except Daryl was the recipient. I can't imagine Carol is stupid enough to try and get at Michonne because Michonne would handle her with a quickness.  She's probably trying to undermine the group's impression of ASZ for whatever reason Carol has for doing what she does.

I agree, ghoulina.  Carol knew that even though he was wrong about not trusting a stranger right away this time, in general in this world you are right to be suspicious in general.

Man, you'd think after all the years of listening to people carp about Carol "undermining" Rick and his decision, that they'd be overjoyed that she's backing him up these days. 

You'd be wrong.

The approach has changed but the intent is the same.  To stir shit up without being woman enough to do it directly.

What would Carol's goal be in undermining Rick and trying to stir shit up?

This was back in the prison days.  I'm not sure what her goal was really.  I think it was more about trying to get to Daryl and come between him and Rick more than anything else.  Of course, thinking that Carol is anything but a reincarnation of Boadicea isn't very popular.

I didn't qualify it anymore than I would see Glenn and Maggie and think Wow, such a great heterosexual kiss that was.

I've never seen anything great between those two. Considering the way passion, heat and sex is awkwardly portrayed on this show, I'm glad it's mostly verboten.

• Love 1

I'm a bit at sea here - how does telling Rick that he was wrong in this instance, but right in his general approach, stir up shit?  Or do you think they should all take everyone they meet at face value?  And what does Michonne have to do with anything?

• Love 4

I saw that scene as Carol being completely supportive of him and that she thought he'd done the right thing across the board.  To me it was mostly, "Just because this is looking like it's actually going to work out and you turned out to be wrong... if we had it to do again you would be right to be over-the-top paranoid in exactly the same way."  She doesn't want him to second-guess those protective instincts.

• Love 3

I'm not a lesbian or a gay man so my opinion might not count but I loved Aaron and Eric's scene; it brought tears to my eyes. Call me crazy but I believe in love and it's not always sensible and stoic.  Sometimes it's sloppy and embarrassing to watch.  I think that if I were living in a world with horrible death around every corner and my loved one had sent up a flare, by the time I saw that person again, I would be mushier than a Dan Hill record.  Aaron and Eric reminded me of guys and couples I know and I'm happy they're on the show.

Any show that features Michonne is great in my book and 'The Distance' was extra great.  I'm so glad she's the one that put an end to the Ricktatorship because Rick was really working my nerves.  Punching someone in the face when they can't fight back seems to be something that Rick likes to do (he did it to Tyreese as well) and that's not a good look on him.  You could tell that the more sensible members of the group were caught between loyalty to Rick and concern that he was going over the edge.

Michonne was a thing of beauty.  Her refusal to back down and hide in fear was inspiring to watch and obviously inspired the group as well.  Danai Gurira is the best actor on the show and I'm glad tptb remembered that after criminally wasting her in the first half of the season.  What I liked about this episode was that it wasn't a 'bottle' episode but an ensemble piece where other members of the cast got a chance to participate.  When the actor is strong enough, you don't need to isolate them if you want to feature their performance.

I really liked that Abe and Rosita had a chance to have a moment.  It seems that their relationship has been damaged but they seem to have reconciled and it was good that they finally got to see Washington after all they've been through.

I am loving Glenn in 5b.  Steven Yeun is really coming into his own and so is the character.  Glenn obviously hero-worships Rick but it's clear that Glenn's reached his limit with Rick's behaviour. 

I agree with those few who hope that Rick and Michonne's relationship doesn't get any more romantic that it is now.  Personally I see the same thing that I see with Daryl and Carol; a loving friendship but no hint of romance. 

Speaking of Carol, the character reminded me of why I can't stand her with her passive-aggressive aside to Rick outside Alexandria.  If she thought Rick was right, why didn't she speak up when Michonne was asking if anyone thought Alexandria was a bad idea?  Because she's such a meek little thing?  That  moment showed that she's a piece of work.

The close-up of Rick's eyes at the gates of Alexandria was lovely and Andrew Lincoln was so good there.  When Michonne put her hand on his, it reminded me of Carol and Daryl in the van but this time it was a jump towards something good.  I can't wait for Sunday.

I gave a like for the comments you made about Rick, Michonne, Glenn, Abe and Rosita, and Aaron and Eric.

You said some very insightful things.

I am mystified though about the Carol thing; I also had heard the line you were wrong, but you're right as being supportive, not undermining.

I felt it was her way of saying, ok you misread him but it's still good to be suspicious

A similar thing happened in real-life last Christmas, when my cousin took her little girl to the mall and when the Santa's elves tried to give her a candy cane, she said:

No! I don't take candy from strangers! Mama said!  My cousin was all, Um, yeah, I said that, but...

Sometimes you've got all the right rules; but life throws an exception to the rule at you and how were you supposed to know that?  :--)

I also remember that in that moment, it was hard for Rick who has always had complete support from his group, witness more and more of them disagreeing.

From Grady hospital (and that look he gave Daryl for choosing Tyreese's plan) to even Carl saying Dad! Why wouldn't we?! (go with Aaron to his camp).

But it was huge that Glenn and Michonne had their own idea about what comes next, first at the church, then at the Shirewilt Estates, and now at the barn...

Carol was the only one who came up after and said something when everyone else was just glad to get their way and go to ASZ.

Yes, Michonne tried so nicely to try and get him to feel good about going in there. But what if he's worried about something more than just about ASZ? What if he feels he's losing the trust of the group?

• Love 3

Yeah, there are so many technical difficulties if they have a nefarious plan to play a recording to lure people in. A lot can go wrong with a recording to tip people off that it's a recording. It would take a lot of care and coordination to make it seem realistic. Isn't that way too much effort for one tiny bit of detail?

Oh hey, maybe they do have a lot of children and few adults so they need babysitters. lol

Maybe the same plague like what we saw at the prison (or some similar sickness) wiped a whole bunch of them out recently, and that's why Aaron was so cagey about telling Michonne why there aren't any people in the pictures. "Hey, a bunch of people got sick and died in our community recently so now we have room for new recruits, wanna come in?" is not a good opener.

I wouldn't have punched Aaron out if I were Rick. Let him keep talking. Let him tell you his life story and the story of how Alexandria was built. If he's lying he'll slip up if he goes on talking for long enough.

Aaron's not exactly a babe in the woods if he used to routinely go to places where he had guns pointed in his face before the zombie apocalypse. (I'm chalking the Niger mispronunciation up to actor mistake.) And the way he outlined how he would have set the barn on fire and took them out one by one as they escaped through the only exit if he wanted to hurt them - Rick probably found that alarming.

If I were the Alexandria people, though, I would send a female recruiter. Would seem less threatening to the people they're trying to recruit. The Termites knew to have an older woman be their welcoming committee. If Gareth was at the grill there, people would have been more guarded.

Too bad the group's best babysitters just bought it.

mightysparrow To be completely fair, is there anything Carol could do, besides dying and getting off your screen, that would redeem her in your eyes or make her bearable?

Edited by BrokenRemote
  • Love 6

Things I've noticed upon rewatch so far: "My mother made me eat things I don't like to make me more manly." Like applesauce. 

"This, this is ours now." Spaghettios. 

Rick: "When you first came upon the walls of Woodbury, Terminus, what did you hear?" Michonne: "Nothing." Rick: "Sometime tonight, we'll be outside his camps walls, and without seeing inside, I'm going to have to decide whether to bring my family in. He asked me before what it would take to convince me it was real. Truth is, I'm not sure anything could convince me to go in there. But I'm gonna see." When he gets there, he hears children laughing and playing.

Michonne: "Why don't you have any pictures of your people?" Aaron: "I took a whole picture of the group, but I didn't get the exposure right. When I tried to develop it later, it just..." Michonne: "Did you ask him the questions?"

Edited by TexasChic
  • Love 1

Rick and Carol have definitely had their differences and issues, but this time I didn't perceive her private comments to Rick about being right, even if he was wrong, as trying to insult him or undermine him.  I think it was one of those rare occasions when Rick was handling things with the suspicion that scary, hardcase Carol feels is appropriate.  I used to despise Carol in Seasons 1 and 2, but she has evolved into something that I definitely find interesting, and she undeniably has her value in the effort to survive.  In this particular situation, after everything these guys have experienced since the prison fell, I think Carol agreed with Rick about not trusting Aaron, being as rough as Rick felt he needed to be with Aaron, and being super cautious about approaching another group.  She didn't vocalize her agreement because Rick seemed to be on top of it, and if her expression of her viewpoint had triggered a debate verbal dissention in front of Aaron would not have been helpful.  But maybe she also pragmatically recognized that while there was a real risk in trusting this Aaron dude, they were in pretty bad straights on the road as it was, so, like Michonne wanted, they might as well give Aaron's community a chance because they didn't have anything else to speak of other than that rickety old barn -- no food, no water, and barely any shelter.  If a large herd came upon the group in this condition, they'd probably get separated and/or die.  That's what I think she was saying to Rick -- at this point it looks like they seem to have gotten a lucky break, but you can't count on luck in their world, and Rick was right to think out all the ways Aaron could have been tricking them and to try to keep the group from blindly running into a trap.  I think Carol absolutely agrees that they have to try to prepare for the other shoe to drop.  Which it still might.

I kind of wonder if unlike the others who were more hopeful, if Carol was secretly expecting the worst in her heart of hearts and was just silently preparing herself for a huge fight with Aaron's group.  I also wonder if Carol thought that if the worst comes to the worst, at least her group could raid Aaron's group's supplies if Carol's group managed to win a conflict, and maybe only lose Father Pee Pants and Eugene or Noah in the conflict, if they were lucky.  Carol scares me, and these days, it seems like she scares herself a little.  That's maybe why she considered taking off on her own shortly after Terminus, and before Bob's kidnapping.  After Karen and David, and especially after having to kill Lizzie, maybe she no longer knows what she's capable of.  I think she vacillates between knowing she's valuable to the group and wanting to be with them, and also fearing that like Lizzie, maybe she "can't be around people."

By the way, if Alexandria really turns out to be an ok place with nice people, losing Tyrese and Beth so close to it really is awful. 

• Love 7

I think I'll do a count of how many words Carol has spoken since she got hit by the car. A group this size means most of them have to remain mute for the majority of the time.

RIck seems to be suffering from stress disorder and everyone else (except maybe Rosita) looks as though they're clinically depressed. All understandable, and this is just appropos of nothing.

• Love 2

Too bad the group's best babysitters just bought it.

mightysparrow To be completely fair, is there anything Carol could do, besides dying and getting off your screen, that would redeem her in your eyes or make her bearable?

That would be a good place to start.

I was under the impression I was free to criticize a fictional character without having to worry about being jumped on by fans of that fictional character.  Again.  Perhaps I was wrong.

I'm not mightysparrow, but I, for one, would love to see Carol meet her demise.  I don't care how she goes--chomped, shot, drowned or fried--I just want her gone, once and for all. 

A kindred spirit.

Edited by mightysparrow
  • Love 2

Much as it pains me to admit it, Carol does not appear to be at the top of her game right now. If she were, she'd have been ransacking Aaron's bag the entire time he was talking. Unless she was already outside, checking the perimeter. And also, she'd have separated Rick and Judith. Because, last time I checked, Carol seemed to know that babies do not eat acorns.

• Love 1

That would be a good place to start.

I was under the impression I was free to criticize a fictional character without having to worry about being jumped on by fans of that fictional character.  Again.  Perhaps I was wrong.

A kindred spirit.

I understand what you are trying to say.  The passive aggressive has always been strong in Carol. In the past she didn't even go look for her daughter, but criticized how others did.  I'll never "like" her because of the stuff with her daughter, the not looking for her, the knowing her hubby had sexual designs on her but didn't leave to protect her daughter, but I LOVE her on the show.  

I tend to be bored by perfect characters quickly, and Carol is very flawed and complex.  I don't know what she meant by that comment, if she was trying to be supportive or if she was returning to her passive aggressive roots.  I think Carol is very lost right now.  When they had the prison she had a purpose - something to do.   It was probably the first time in a long time that she could make decisions without asking for permission.  Most battered women feel like they shouldn't be breathing unless they are asking for permission.

So maybe that line was a throw back to her earlier personality.  Carol always was good with the asides to peeps but not speaking up in front of the group, which in my opinion shines true to her past abuse.  I find it interesting to see where her character will go in the rest of season five because she just doesn't seem like she fits on the show anymore.

• Love 4

I found myself confused by the walls of this "safe" place. Aaron showed them a picture of 15 foot tall cement walls, propped up with whatever-material which is apparently really strong. He claims that nothing gets in or out without them approving it. He also states that the walls are so thick that sound doesn't go beyond the walls (thus, no walkers are attracted to it).

Then, Rick and company roll up to a fucking gate and can hear children laughing etc. from thirty feet away. WTF?

I also find it funny that in the same episode where we got a Dale callback (re: fixing the trailer), Glenn didn't notice the walker horde in front of the car, even with the headlights on. With his newly discovered walker blind spot, has he completed his transition to Dale 2.0? *slow clap for Glenn*

Edited by NoWillToResist
  • Love 3

I also find it funny that in the same episode where we got a Dale callback (re: fixing the trailer), Glenn didn't notice the walker horde in front of the car, even with the headlights on. With his newly discovered walker blind spot, has he completed his transition to Dale 2.0? *slow clap for Glenn*

If the Alexandria general store has an On Golden Pond hat, we riot!

• Love 4

Much as it pains me to admit it, Carol does not appear to be at the top of her game right now.

But...but...she was, like, in a COMA and near death how long ago? A week? I know she made a miraculous recovery, but still, I might expect some lingering effects.

The only person I wanted dead, and didn't care how he got that way, was Tyrese so I'm a happy camper now.

• Love 4

I understand what you are trying to say.  The passive aggressive has always been strong in Carol. In the past she didn't even go look for her daughter, but criticized how others did.  I'll never "like" her because of the stuff with her daughter, the not looking for her, the knowing her hubby had sexual designs on her but didn't leave to protect her daughter, but I LOVE her on the show.  

I tend to be bored by perfect characters quickly, and Carol is very flawed and complex.  I don't know what she meant by that comment, if she was trying to be supportive or if she was returning to her passive aggressive roots.  I think Carol is very lost right now.  When they had the prison she had a purpose - something to do.   It was probably the first time in a long time that she could make decisions without asking for permission.  Most battered women feel like they shouldn't be breathing unless they are asking for permission.

So maybe that line was a throw back to her earlier personality.  Carol always was good with the asides to peeps but not speaking up in front of the group, which in my opinion shines true to her past abuse.  I find it interesting to see where her character will go in the rest of season five because she just doesn't seem like she fits on the show anymore.

I appreciate your comment and I also appreciate that even though you are a Carol fan, you don't take a criticism of a fictional character on a TV show about zombies as a personal insult.  

Edited by mightysparrow

I found it weird how the characters seemed to lose all suspicion of this place the second they heard children's laughter. So, while I thought Carol's comment was meant to convey that Rick had been right to be suspicious but was wrong about Aaron, it seems a little presumptuous to leap to "they can be trusted now!" when they haven't laid eyes on what's inside. Woodbury had kids too and they all saw how well that went! :)

It may be the Carol/Rick friendshipper in me, but I don't think her comment was meant to be passive-aggressive or a criticism towards him. Ever since she got them out of Terminus, their breach appears to have been mended. I loved catching the tail end of their hug once the two groups reunited in this ep. She could have chosen to snark that his decision to take a parallel road to the one Aaron mentioned made them lose a vehicle and almost killed half the group, but she didn't. Instead, she hugged him the second she was out the door. :)

I think Carol's own bad experiences with making leadership decisions has given her a new perspective on Rick and his history of leading them. Being the leader is a shit job.  I think she's been far more supportive of him since Terminus.

• Love 6
I found it weird how the characters seemed to lose all suspicion of this place the second they heard children's laughter.

Right? Children's laughter is the opposite of reassuring to me. It's creepy. What if this is some child-led society, where they sacrifice adults to their god? 

I rewatched last night and one thing I appreciated was that Aaron and Eric call them "roamers". I really like that different people have different names for the zombies. And it's apparently regional, as I believe Davy and Tony also called them "roamers". 

• Love 6

Right? Children's laughter is the opposite of reassuring to me. It's creepy. What if this is some child-led society, where they sacrifice adults to their god? 

I rewatched last night and one thing I appreciated was that Aaron and Eric call them "roamers". I really like that different people have different names for the zombies. And it's apparently regional, as I believe Davy and Tony also called them "roamers". 

I just love the fact that when they meet different peeps they have different names.  CDB called them Geeks before Rick came in, right?

• Love 3
Dave and Tony used the unfortunate "lamebrains" but liked "walkers" for being more succinct. (I just watched that yesterday!)

Crap. You're right. But I swear someone else called them "roamers" before Aaron and Eric. Anyone? 

And yes, Glenn did call them "Geeks". 

I think the Guv called em "biters"?

• Love 2

Crap. You're right. But I swear someone else called them "roamers" before Aaron and Eric. Anyone? 

Maybe the folks at Grady hospital?

I really liked the effortless affection between Aaron and Eric. That sold me on them being good people. I don't think our group witnessed them though...

What if they're led by a kid like Joffrey?? (not a Game of Thrones spoiler; Joff is a dick from the get-go).  ;)

I want our group to run into people who have dubbed the zombies 'shufflers'. After all, a lot of the zombies' movements could not fairly be called 'walking', y'know? ;)

Edited by NoWillToResist
Yall, I just became aware of this and I just want to take a minute and say how grateful I am that I settled here on this forum after the demise of TWoP.

Yeah, when our old world of TWoP disappeared, many of us roamed the wilds thinking biters and rotters were all that was left.  Welcome to sanctuary, my friend, we have cookies.

I saw a Daily Mail headline that "Americans freak out over gay kiss" and I dismissed it as a National Enquirer type attempt to shit-stir. Now I find out there really was some bad reaction...wow.

This is a thing? I wonder if the reason for it is that two guys kissed on tv and it wasn't a thing, which makes it such a thing! 

• Love 2

I would LOVE "Shufflers"! Best one yet. 

I tried to Google and see who it was that said Roamers before. But all I got was that it's most common in the comics (I truly hope THAT isn't a spoiler) and I don't read those. So....I'm at a loss. I know, such a minute thing, but it's driving me crazy, because I swear someone called them that before this episode. 

• Love 1

I think it was the Gov.; because he called them biters and lurkers and used various names.

There is a point right before Tyreese approaches Karen at the fence, the red-shirts are stabbing walkers and a young male redshirt yells "Zed!"

I thought it was a little brief homage to World War Z.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Personally, I can't wait till this stops being the most recent episode. I loved the episode on tv, but everytime I see "The Distance" I get Bette Midler singing a cheesy pop power ballad in my head.

I fear a recurring nightmare where someone lists an announcement of the first Season 6 episode synopsis and titles:

S6E1  Aaron tells his backstory of escaping a big northern city overrun by walkers, The Night Chicago Died

S6E2  Rick and the group have differing reactions to being assigned to crop production, Seasons In The Sun

S6E3  An resident of the new camp risks his life to save Father Pee Pants, Billy Don't Be A Hero

S6E4  Carol has disappeared, needing time to find herself I've Never Been To Me

S6E5  Daryl must decide if he has a reason to live without Carol My Heart Will Go On

I wake up in a cold sweat, screaming, before I could see the rest of the list.

Anyone out there know the rest of the episodes?

Edited by kikismom
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

Seasons In The Sun

Thank you kikismom, for bringing to my mind someone of the worst so-called music to ever assault our ears, especially the one quoted above. I remember hearing it and thinking, "Just fucking DIE already." 

But really, how could you have forgotten, "The Night the Lights Went out in Georgia?' that gripping tale of infidelity and murder?

• Love 3

"Just fucking DIE already." 

But really, how could you have forgotten, "The Night the Lights Went out in Georgia?' that gripping tale of infidelity and murder?

LOL!

Maybe The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia could still make it in for a flashback scene.

• Love 1

I wonder if the reason for it is that two guys kissed on tv and it wasn't a thing, which makes it such a thing! 

I'm withholding final judgment because the kiss happened in isolation (there was no one around to have a reaction to it). So I'm interested to see if there will be any reaction from the other characters once they realize that Eric and Aaron are together. For me, that's usually how a show makes any relationship a 'thing' (by drawing attention to it via other characters).

I will be beyond happy and impressed if there is basically no reaction or discussion about Aaron/Eric from our gang because it shouldn't be a noteworthy discovery/event, IMO; it's just two people who love each other. Our group also doesn't even know them so there's no reason for them to discuss the relationship. It's not like they have a personal stake or investment in the relationship (unlike, say, if people from CDB transitioned to a couple).

I don't really want to witness a ZA version of, say, Daryl being homophobic and a dick to them, resulting in someone having to take him aside and deliver an after-school special style lecture/rebuke regarding his behaviour. I just really want no one to give a fuck. The world is in the toilet and they're fighting for their lives. If anyone in that environment is going to get their feathers ruffled over two men in a relationship, then the walkers deserve to win. They don't discriminate. ;)

• Love 8

So I'm interested to see if there will be any reaction from the other characters once they realize that Eric and Aaron are together

I would imagine they couldn't care less who is hooked up. They didn't care about Tara being a lesbian (Why would they?) or that Abraham is getting "some ass" from a girl young enough to be his daughter. When your main goal in life has come down to "Eat and don't get eaten", I think the sexual proclivities of anyone is of zero interest, other than maybe participants keep the moaning and groaning down so everyone else can get some shuteye.

• Love 3

I also remember that in that moment, it was hard for Rick who has always had complete support from his group, witness more and more of them disagreeing.

Rick has always had complete support from his group?

But...but...she was, like, in a COMA and near death how long ago? A week? I know she made a miraculous recovery, but still, I might expect some lingering effects.

It's been three weeks & a day since Atlanta, plus I don't believe Carol was ever in a coma...she was merely unconscious.

• Love 1

I don't believe Carol was ever in a coma...she was merely unconscious.

Being knocked unconscious is not a trivial thing. I know that loss of consciousness from trauma is a serious thing, but looked it up to be sure of facts:

Moderate traumatic brain injury causes unconsciousness lasting more than 30 minutes. Symptoms of moderate traumatic brain injury are similar to those of mild traumatic brain injury but more serious and longer-lasting.

Severe traumatic brain injury knocks you out for more than 24 hours. Symptoms of severe traumatic brain injury are also similar to those of mild traumatic brain injury but more serious and longer-lasting.

http://www.alz.org/dementia/traumatic-brain-injury-head-trauma-symptoms.asp

• Love 1

Certainly, and a coma can result from a traumatic brain injury, but there's still a distinction between the two:

"Coma is a state of prolonged unconsciousness that can be caused by a variety of problems — traumatic head injury, stroke, brain tumor, drug or alcohol intoxication, or even an underlying illness, such as diabetes or an infection.

Coma is a medical emergency. Swift action is needed to preserve life and brain function. Doctors normally order a battery of blood tests and a brain CT scan to try to determine what's causing the coma so that proper treatment can begin.

Comas seldom last longer than several weeks. People who are unconscious for a longer period of time may transition to a persistent vegetative state. Depending on the cause of coma, people who are in a persistent vegetative state for more than one year are extremely unlikely to awaken.

The signs and symptoms of coma commonly include:

•     Closed eyes
  •     Depressed brainstem reflexes, such as pupils not responding to light
  •     No responses of limbs, except for reflex movements
  •     No response to painful stimuli, except for reflex movements
  •     Irregular breathing

Coma is a medical emergency. Seek immediate medical care."

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coma/basics/symptoms/con-20028567

I realize a coma is no laughing matter, but the first symptom above makes me laugh..."closed eyes." Like we always learned to ask a choking person," Are you choking?"

Or maybe that's the immature middle schooler in me.

• Love 4

Rick has always had complete support from his group

Mmm...you're right...I think I meant that they are still following him...the ones that didn't get killed yet.

I think that isn't really support as much as Stockholm Syndrome.

• Love 2

Coma or prolonged unconsciousness - doesn't matter since neither are something from which a person would just awaken fully alert and carry on as usual without any residual effects.

You can if you're a saint.

You can if you're one of the leads of a tv show based around the idea of dead people walking around trying to eat living people...

• Love 4

Carol is no saint, but come on. Seeing some kind of conspiracy to stir up trouble in Carol's off-hand comment to Rick is kind of like Rick thinking Aaron wanted to poison his baby. Seeing malice where there is none intended and developing a "the whole world's out to get me!" complex. Except unlike Rick we don't need to be extra paranoid for survival here. So keep eating those acorns and refusing the apple sauce if you must, but if other people want to eat apple sauce instead of acorns, and they tell you why they like apple sauce more than acorns, it's not a personal slight, all right? Nobody is taking away your acorns and force-feeding you applesauce. This isn't a Ricktatorship. Hee.

• Love 6
(edited)

So, Rick laid in a coma for two months, and as Nashville and others pointed out, he had no food, no water, no catheter, no care...he should have been dead.

Not only was he alive, he was able to get out of bed, descend stairs, hike across town, ride a bike to the burbs where he and Lori lived, then get his head whacked with a shovel hard enough to take him down. Was up that night, no concussion, no aftereffects.

The man is a saint.

Said no one ever.

Carl got shot and lost so much blood he had a least 4 transfusions, 19th century level surgery, unconscious but up and around like any other little boy stealing guns and provoking corpses.

Somebody up there likes him!

Michonne got knocked out by Merle and thrown in with Andrea for a ride to Woodbury, got knocked out being pistol-whipped by the Governor, and awoke with no residual effects....no one suggested a halo.

Daryl fell off a cliff and lay unconscious and hallucinating for however long but was back to normal and nobody here notified the Vatican, we just moved on.

mighty sparrow : The only time I've seen Carol described as a saint, as a queen, or as Boadicea is in your posts.It was meant in a derisive way, but nevertheless TPTB have hardly portrayed Carol as a faultless person.

Carol, as well as the rest of the characters, has drawn much critiscism on these threads.

Every single character on the show has made terrible mistakes. Every single one. No saints, no martyrs.

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 10