Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Episode Six

Matt spends a day at the hospital when his father undergoes heart surgery.

Caught this last night.  Some very funny stuff, including Sean's phone call with

his father, a prominent cardiologist back in England.

and Morning's not-so-subtle hinting around that

she'd like a role in Bev and Sean's new series

So this wasn't my favorite episode; I know because I only watched it about 4 times this week! Even when the plot doesn't move me (and I am not a fan of the hospital plot and Matt's dad) I still enjoy how the characters interact and the relationships. I enjoyed Carol and Bev on the phone the most, I think. Absolutely worst pet name ever!!

• Love 1

I was really willing Matt to just kick his ungrateful asshole dad out on the street. That guy deserves no support, as far as I can tell. At the very least, he should sell the condo and buy them a small apartment somewhere. I just don't really enjoy the characters of his dad and step-mother (or whatever she is). They're too unpleasant, without any redeeming features, in a show where there are so many characters I really like.

It shows how good Matt is in this role though, that he can be such a jerk 90% of the time, but then be so completely sympathetic and long-suffering in situations like this.

Sean and Bev just hanging around uselessly was amusing, though. And Sean's tortured conversation with his dad was great.

Carol and Helen are still pretty adorable, even if Carol is really not good at pet names. I like that she's open about her insecurities with Bev though, because that's one person who's likely to give her solid advice. If she'll ever actually listen, that is.

• Love 1

I liked Sean's conversation with his dad. "Hi, dad", "Yes", "It's Sean", "Yes", "Your son", "Yes". 

The Matt's dad plot line isn't my favorite, except for after Sean yelled at them to be nicer, they just quieted down the f you's. 

Still love Bev and Carol's friendship, probably because there are so few female friendship on tv that are shown as actual friendships. Bev does have a right to be worried about the Helen relationship moving at lightening speed. It makes me wonder if she's going to run through all the relationship highs and lows in 3 months then dump Carol to find another, so she never really get past the honeymoon stage in her relationships. 

It would definitely be interesting to see Carol struggle to navigate how to work for a boss she's not sleeping with. But I keep expecting Helen to be fired: she's competent, smart, and doesn't make enemies. She can't possibly last.

Edited by maraleia
  • Love 1

Sean and Bev just hanging around uselessly was amusing, though. 

That's what I loved about this episode. A lesser comedy would have made a contrived reason for them to hang around the hospital and NO ONE will question why (except the audience). I loved that everyone questioned what they're doing there! Even as far as Carol over the phone, and even Beverly questioning Sean why. It's those little details and nuances that make the show click!

One question - did Carol not ever know about Jamie Lepidus and Matt's affair? Because I was surprised that she would just recommend Matt talking to Merc about his surgeon just like that, as if they're old friends. 

That bothered me too, but I figured that Carol is part of the Hollywood establishment where you have to take calls and play nice with people you hate, just as we recently saw her do with Merc, and Helen have to buy Merc's awful show, because reasons, and you can't completely burn bridges there, since you never know who you're going to be working with next.

• Love 2

I was really willing Matt to just kick his ungrateful asshole dad out on the street. That guy deserves no support, as far as I can tell.

I agree. What cinched it was Matt's story about how his father just took off and disappeared (to Korea) when he was 14, so clearly this isn't even someone Matt owes for being there when he was a kid. And maybe it was the drugs talking, but the elder LeBlanc spent the episode worrying Matt would sell his condo because he knows Matt's in dire financial straights. Why would he then turn around and expect Matt to buy him an expensive car?

I felt for Bev being ignored while Carol spent all of their quality time talking on her phone to Helen during their power walk.

This felt sort of a like a bottle episode, more or less.

• Love 2

I got a friend that can be on the phone a lot with an s/o while we're hanging out. So I'm always like, off-camera eyeroll. And to be fair, after about 10 min or so, he gets off the phone. But I have to deal. 

I don't buy for a second that Carol has pubes though. She waxes every 2 weeks. I do want her to have a healthy relationship with Helen, but it seems like Helen moves fast and I don't think she realizes how sensitive Carol is. 

I agree though that MLB's father is terrible and definitely didn't deserve it. What's funny about the show is that you'd think Matt would tell a redeeming story to Sean about his father, but no. 

I think Sean and Bev are actually short sighted in not considering Morning for their new show. She's been working pretty steadily since the 70s, apparently, and she's showed up ready to work every day on set with Pucks. She's a professional, and they could do a lot worse with her. I am assuming that this network is a broadcast network. New shows tend to lean toward name or veteran actors. If they were on premium cable, then, ok, hire no-names, but Morning is reliable and knows her way around a show. 

• Love 3

I sort of think Helen is setting Carol up as payback for the first husband. That's why she's moving so fast. That'll suck because I like the idea or Carol and Helen (plus, hot girl-on-girl action TM Joss Whedon) , but they are working too hard and putting up too many flags. 

As for the episode itself, I didn't love it, but it was still better than most of what i watched this week.