Type keyword(s) to search

Book 9: Go Tell the Bees That I Am Gone

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

It would. I had the very same thought.  But then I remembered that Roger's time-travel backward took him WAY back.  He overshot the usual 200 year thing because . . . reasons (I don't want to spoil it for people who haven't read the related novella "A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows").  If I'm remembering it correctly, Jenny is only a teenager when she meets him.  Is she really likely to recognize Roger when she meets him again 40 years later?  Even if he reminds her of the incident I think our skeptical Jenny might still harbor doubts.  

I don't think she'll recognize him right off, but I do think once he reminds her of the encounter she would remember him.

Sigh. I just re-read the "Daily Lines" that prompted this discussion.  Oh, that little moment between Jamie and Roger:

Spoiler

“Home,” Roger said firmly, and his eyes met mine, then passed to Jamie. “For good.”

Ahhhhh.  When IS this book coming out?

But, yes I can't WAIT to see how Diana writes the moment Roger & Jenny have THAT conversation.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1

I'm also anxious to see Jenny and Brianna interact again. Since she knows about time travel, will she also tell her about what brought them back? Also, I know it was in Echo, but when do they tell young Ian about TT, what chapter?

27 minutes ago, Atlanta said:

I'm also anxious to see Jenny and Brianna interact again. Since she knows about time travel, will she also tell her about what brought them back? Also, I know it was in Echo, but when do they tell young Ian about TT, what chapter?

Oh man, I can't remember, but isn't it before Echo in the Bone? Don't they tell him when he first returns from the Mohawks with Otter Tooth's journal and I think he knew before Bree and Roger went back to the future in A Breath of Snow and Ashes

Edited by DittyDotDot

It's in Fiery Cross (Book 5).  Quoting @nodorothyparker below from that thread:

He [Ian] came back with the time traveler Otter Tooth's diary after one of the old Indian women (can't remember specifics) told him to give it to Claire because it was from one of her kind's or something like that.   He and Jamie were taking turns translating it from the Latin it was written in and when they got to the part about coming through the stones and not knowing where he ended up, Claire realized Ian was looking at her like he'd already figured it out so she told him yes it was true.  So by the end of the book, Ian knows where Claire, Brianna, and Roger came from and that Jamie knew all along.  Hence Ian's great ending line, "I always ken you weren't a fairy, Auntie Claire."

I wanted to read that bit for myself so I went looking for the "return of Ian" scene but it's a BIG book.  Then I recollected that in a Kindle you can search for a particular word so I searched for mentions of "Ian", assuming that would take me right to it.  No, Ian gets mentioned a LOT in that book.  He is gone but not forgotten.  Which makes sense -- that reappearance scene wouldn't be nearly as affecting if the reader's reaction was "Wait, who is Ian?"  So anyway, I found the return scene (Chapter 108 at the end) and then I went hurting for THAT line. It happens in the next chapter.  

"Mmphm," Ian said, and his face lighted with an expression of profound satisfaction.  "I knew ye weren't a fairy, Auntie Claire!"

Oooooh such a good scene.  We MUST get a season 5.

• Love 2

I asked above "When IS this book coming out?"  Diana must have heard me because she responds in the hashtags below, which accompanied her latest sneak peek on Facebook

#DailyLines  #GoTELLTheBEESThatIAmGONE  #BookNine  #Noitsnotfinished#nowherenear  #maybelate2018  #maybenot  #whoknows  #gowatchtheshow

Spoiler

I was startled from a solid sleep by Jamie exploding out of bed beside me. This wasn’t an uncommon occurrence, but as usual, it left me sitting bolt upright amid the quilts, dry-mouthed and completely dazed, heart hammering like a drill-press.

He was already down the stairs; I heard the thump of his bare feet on the last few treads—and above that sound, frenzied pounding on the front door. A ripple of unrest spread through the house: rustling bedclothes, sleepy voices, opening doors.

I shook my head violently and flung off the covers. _Him or me?_ was the first coherent thought that formed out of the fog drifting through my brain. Night alarms like this might be news of violence or misadventure, and sometimes of a nature that required all hands, like a house fire or someone having unexpectedly met with a hunting panther at a spring. More often, though…

I heard Jamie’s voice, and the panic left me. It was low, questioning, with a cadence that meant he was soothing someone. Someone else was talking, in high-pitched agitation, but it wasn’t the sound of disaster.

_Me, then. Childbirth or accident?_ My mind had suddenly resurfaced and was working clearly, even while my body fumbled to and fro, trying to recall what I had done with my grubby stockings. _Probably birth, in the middle of the night_… But the uneasy thought of fire still lurked on the edge of my thoughts.

I had a clear picture in my mind of my emergency kit, and was grateful that I’d thought to refurbish it just before supper. It was sitting ready on the corner of my surgery table. My mind was less clear about other things; I’d put my stays on backward. I yanked them off, flung them on the bed, and went to splash water on my face, thinking a lot of things I couldn’t say out loud, as I could hear children’s feet now pattering across the landing.

I reached the bottom of the stairs belatedly, to find Fanny and Germaine with Jamie, who was talking with a very young girl no more than Fanny’s age, standing barefoot, distraught, and wearing nothing more than a threadbare shift. I didn’t recognize her.

“Ach, here’s Herself now,” Jamie said, glancing over his shoulder. He had a hand on the girl’s shoulder, as though to keep her from flying away. She looked as if she might: thin as a broomstraw, with baby-fine brown hair tangled by the wind, and eyes looking anxiously in every direction for possible help.

“This is Annie Cloudtree, Claire,” he said, nodding toward the girl. “Fanny, will ye find a shawl or something to lend the lass, so she doesna freeze?”

“I don’t n-need—“ the girl began, but her arms were wrapped around herself and she was shivering so hard that her words shook.

“Her mother’s with child,” Jamie interrupted her, looking at me. “And maybe having a bit of trouble with the birth.”

“We c-can’t p-pay—“

“Don’t worry about that,” I said, and nodding to Jamie, took her in my arms. She was small and bony and very cold, like a half-feathered nestling fallen from a tree.

“It will be all right,” I said softly to her, and smoothed down her hair. “We’ll go to your mother at once. Where do you live?”

She gulped and wouldn’t look up, but was so cold she clung to me for warmth.

“I don’t know. I m-mean—I don’t know how to say. Just—if you can come with me, I can take you back?” She wasn’t Scottish.

I looked at Jamie for information—I’d not heard of the Cloudtrees; they must be recent settlers—but he shook his head, one brow raised. He didn’t know them, either.

“Did ye come afoot, lassie?” he asked, and when she nodded, asked, “Was the sun still up when ye left your home?”

She shook her head. “No, sir. ‘Twas well dark, we’d all gone to bed. Then my mother’s pains came on sudden, and…” She gulped again, tears welling in her eyes.

“And the moon?” Jamie asked, as though nothing were amiss. “Was it up when ye set out?”

His matter-of-fact tone eased her a little, and she took an audible breath, swallowed, and nodded.

“Well up, sir. Two hands-breadths above the edge of the earth.”

“What a very poetic turn of phrase,” I said, smiling at her. Fanny had come with my old gardening shawl—it was ratty and had holes, but had been made of thick new wool to start with. I took it from Fanny with a nod of thanks and wrapped it round the girl’s shoulders.

Jamie had stepped out on the porch, presumably to see where the moon now was. He stepped back in, and nodded to me.

“The brave wee lass has been abroad in the night alone for about three hours, Sassenach. Miss Annie—is there a decent trail that leads to your father’s place?”
Her soft brow scrunched in concern—she wasn’t sure what “decent” might mean in this context—but she nodded uncertainly.
“There’s a trail,” she said, looking from Jamie to me in hopes that this might be enough.

“We’ll ride, then,” he said to me, over her head. “The moon’s bright enough. “ _And I think we’d best hurry_, his expression added. I rather thought he was right.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 3

On Facebook this morning, Diana Gabaldon asked that people not copy and paste the daily lines.  She would prefer that we just post links.  

[Excerpt from GO TELL THE BEES THAT I AM GONE. Copyright 2017 Diana Gabaldon.

Please don't cut and paste the #DailyLines to other sites. You're very welcome to post links from your sites to the lines, though. Thank you!]

I also thought it was familiar so I think she's shared some, if not all of it before.  Possibly it was a prior version.

It's nice to read these quiet, intimate moments.  These are the bits that the show generally has to cut because they don't move the plot forward and when you are trying to condense an 800+ page book into 13 hours of TV, something has to go.  

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, theschnauzers said:

Thanks for posting. Most intrigued by this excerpt. Rachel's going to bed with Ian but worries about him thinking of another woman during the act? Oh my! Of course, it could be anyone, though I think he would at least outwardly try to be more circumspect around his wife, about his enthusiam for someone else, unless... I'm really hoping this Her of Rachel's imagination isn't Bree, but given the number of Bree/Ian scenes shared from Book 9 so far and Ian's thoughts from previous books about her looks/sexual attractiveness... 

Edited by Dejana
(edited)
13 hours ago, Dejana said:

Thanks for posting. Most intrigued by this excerpt. Rachel's going to bed with Ian but worries about him thinking of another woman during the act? Oh my! Of course, it could be anyone, though I think he would at least outwardly try to be more circumspect around his wife, about his enthusiam for someone else, unless... I'm really hoping this Her of Rachel's imagination isn't Bree, but given the number of Bree/Ian scenes shared from Book 9 so far and Ian's thoughts from previous books about her looks/sexual attractiveness... 

From the context I believe that the woman in question is Emily, his Mohawk ex-wife.  He mentions giving his "friends" some of Uncle Jamie's whisky so it sounds like they're visiting one of the tribes nearby.  There is no way that it's Brianna that Rachel is concerned about.

Edited by toolazy
5 hours ago, toolazy said:

From the context I believe that the woman in question is Emily, his Mohawk ex-wife.  He mentions giving his "friends" some of Uncle Jamie's whisky so it sounds like they're visiting one of the tribes nearby.  There is no way that it's Brianna that Rachel is concerned about.

Totally blanked on Ian's ex-wife! That would make much more sense, of course. I was just thinking, what genuinely outrageous, fandom-dividing happening does Diana have in store? There's usually one thing every other book or so, lol.

On 11/7/2017 at 5:44 AM, WatchrTina said:

Sigh. I just re-read the "Daily Lines" that prompted this discussion.  Oh, that little moment between Jamie and Roger:

Hide contents

“Home,” Roger said firmly, and his eyes met mine, then passed to Jamie. “For good.”

Ahhhhh.  When IS this book coming out?

But, yes I can't WAIT to see how Diana writes the moment Roger & Jenny have THAT conversation.

I have to say, it bothers me a lot that Roger and Brianna are so okay with living in the past. It seems SO irresponsible to voluntarily raise children in the 18th century, exposing them to all kinds of dangers, disease and backwards thinking like that. It's taking away any chance for Mandy to have a future where she could choose to be what she wants as a woman. They're choosing to place them in a world with slavery. 

Does Gabaldon ever bring up issues like this? I mean if I was Brianna, those would be the primary thoughts in my mind about staying in that kind of society. With Claire, she does it SOLELY for Jamie and it's written in a way that was always understandable to me, because he's her soulmate, etc. With them, I do NOT get it. Why on earth would they want to live there after all the horrible things that have happened to them and all that could happen to their kids?

It's never made any sense to me. I don't get why she doesn't just leave them in the present.

• Love 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, ruby24 said:

I have to say, it bothers me a lot that Roger and Brianna are so okay with living in the past. It seems SO irresponsible to voluntarily raise children in the 18th century, exposing them to all kinds of dangers, disease and backwards thinking like that. It's taking away any chance for Mandy to have a future where she could choose to be what she wants as a woman. They're choosing to place them in a world with slavery. 

Does Gabaldon ever bring up issues like this? I mean if I was Brianna, those would be the primary thoughts in my mind about staying in that kind of society. With Claire, she does it SOLELY for Jamie and it's written in a way that was always understandable to me, because he's her soulmate, etc. With them, I do NOT get it. Why on earth would they want to live there after all the horrible things that have happened to them and all that could happen to their kids?

It's never made any sense to me. I don't get why she doesn't just leave them in the present.

I don't know, I think the future is just as dangerous as the past, just in different ways. Despite the modern medicine and other conveniences, horrible things happen in the future too. I mean, Mandy or Jem could get hit by a bus or shot on the street and die just as easily as they could have some accident in the past and die. And, bad things were happening to them and their kids in the future--Jem was kidnapped, someone tried to set the house on fire with Brianna and Mandy inside, etc... . Plus, I think there are backward thinking people in any time period, even now. Obviously Mandy won't have all the same choices she would in the future, but she has a forward-thinking family who will support her in any choice she does make, so I'm not so sure she's any worse off in the past than in the future.

I'm not so sure Brianna thinks of the past in the same way Roger does. He calls it "home" because he found his place and a calling in the past. In the present, he was listless and didn't really fit anymore. I think Brianna actually prefers the future, but "home" is where her family is and they are in the past. Not to mention since the conspiracy nuts were chasing them, the past might be a lot safer for them. At least they have Jamie and Claire and the community to lean on and help protect them; in the future, they were basically on their own. 

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 3
59 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

I'm not so sure Brianna thinks of the past in the same way Roger does. He calls it "home" because he found his place and a calling in the past. In the present, he was listless and didn't really fit anymore. I think Brianna actually prefers the future, but "home" is where her family is and they are in the past. Not to mention since the conspiracy nuts were chasing them, the past might be a lot safer for them. At least they have Jamie and Claire and the community to lean on and help protect them; in the future, they were basically on their own. 

I agree. I think Brianna is more inclined to the modern world than Roger, but everyone around her (even the kids) seem more rooted to the past and/or their identities as time travelers. Roger and Claire have both been shaped by their time traveling. They both never really fit in completely in the present/future after they left the past. Both of them have attracted other time travelers and been through the stones more than Brianna. I think it has really changed their view about their lives and the people around them. It's akin to how astronauts come back to Earth realize how there is only one human race and we're all on this big island. The biggest thing anchoring them is their immediate family. For Brianna and Roger, they lack a support network and the loved ones they had on the Ridge. I loved the moment at the end of Book 8 when Claire and Jamie realized the younger family was coming home. I look forward to seeing Jamie and Claire as grandparents.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, DittyDotDot said:

I don't know, I think the future is just as dangerous as the past, just in different ways. Despite the modern medicine and other conveniences, horrible things happen in the future too. I mean, Mandy or Jem could get hit by a bus or shot on the street and die just as easily as they could have some accident in the past and die. And, bad things were happening to them and their kids in the future--Jem was kidnapped, someone tried to set the house on fire with Brianna and Mandy inside, etc... . Plus, I think there are backward thinking people in any time period, even now. Obviously Mandy won't have all the same choices she would in the future, but she has a forward-thinking family who will support her in any choice she does make, so I'm not so sure she's any worse off in the past than in the future.

I disagree. Lifespans were shorter and there was SO much more disease and illness that went untreated back then. Women died in childbirth constantly, having a baby is risking your life and there's no way to prevent it. I don't agree that it's a forward-thinking family either. Jamie's hardly "forward-thinking." 

Mandy will be trapped as a housewife and mother and that's the only option available to her. Brianna cannot believe that trapping these kids in the 1700's is what's best for them. The 18th century was a bastion of white supremacy and there's no escape from that either. (I guess that doesn't affect them personally, but how does it never occur to her that her Uncle Joe would likely never want to time travel for a REASON?)

I just can't believe stuff like this doesn't occur to or matter to Brianna. As for Roger, he was fine with his life before going into the past after Brianna, he was shaky on it after returning, but I can't figure out why he would rather stay there.

(edited)

I don't think they intended to return to the past. They went because they thought their son was there, taken or sent by someone else or by accident. I imagine they haven't gone back to the future because every time you go through the stones, it's worse, and they might be afraid they won't make it. Also, they may need gemstones that they don't have. (And they don't have a DeLorean.)

And it's their family. People do crazy things to be with family. Mandy is likely to be a housewife and mother, but won't necessarily be trapped. She may want to be that. And she may be something else. Her mother and grandmother are. Other women at that time did.  It wasn't common, but it did happen.

I think mostly it's because of family.

And maybe they are going back. It's not over yet.

Edited by auntlada
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, auntlada said:

I don't think they intended to return to the past. They went because they thought their son was there, taken or sent by someone else or by accident. I imagine they haven't gone back to the future because every time you go through the stones, it's worse, and they might be afraid they won't make it. Also, they may need gemstones that they don't have. (And they don't have a DeLorean.)

And it's their family. People do crazy things to be with family. Mandy is likely to be a housewife and mother, but won't necessarily be trapped. She may want to be that. And she may be something else. Her mother and grandmother are. Other women at that time did.  It wasn't common, but it did happen.

I think mostly it's because of family.

And maybe they are going back. It's not over yet.

Her mother and grandmother are because they grew up in a time where they had proper education and opportunities. They could vote. They weren't considered the property of men. 

I just really hope it occurs to Bree that she wouldn't want to deprive her daughter of the same choices she had.

But they will treat Mandy differently than other people treat their daughters of the time because they are different. Maybe Mandy will grow up to be one of the early women's rights fighters. Or maybe she will decide to go back on her own later. Or maybe Bree and Roger will take them back again. Or maybe they will all decide they are home because it is where their family is. We don't know. The series isn't done. And, in the end, although I love the books, these are only fictional characters. They aren't real people with real consequences.

(edited)
On 7/9/2018 at 5:03 PM, auntlada said:

Actually, it's not really explained how they got back to the 1770's.  Recall that Roger ended up in what? The 1740's?  And somehow Bree and Mandy found him there.  Then at the end of the last book they show back up in the 1770's so they clearly time-travelled at least one more time.  (EDIT:  Bree, Mandy & JEM found him in the 1740's.)

One of the reasons I'm anxious for the new book is to learn just how that happened.  Did they go back to the 20th century and then try again for the 1770's?  Did they figure out a way to steer more precisely? It's killing me.  

Edited by toolazy
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, toolazy said:

Actually, it's not really explained how they got back to the 1770's.  Recall that Roger ended up in what? The 1740's?  And somehow Bree and Mandy found him there.  Then at the end of the last book they show back up in the 1770's so they clearly time-travelled at least one more time.  

One of the reasons I'm anxious for the new book is to learn just how that happened.  Did they go back to the 20th century and then try again for the 1770's?  Did they figure out a way to steer more precisely? It's killing me.  

I want to know also. I don't recall Bree and Mandy finding Roger in the 1740s. (Clearly, I need to re-read that book. I've got a whole stack of books checked out from the library that I've got to get through quickly, though, and the Outlander books aren't quick.) Roger was in the 1740s by accident, wasn't he? He meant to go to the 1770s because he thought Jem was there. And then Bree and Mandy found Jem in whatever their present time was (the 1970s?). I think I just figured they went after Roger then because he would go on hunting Jem, but I don't know how they all met up together. I don't recall being this confused when I read the book.

• Love 1
(edited)
58 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

IIRC, Roger went back to the family in 1980, then they all traveled back together at the end of #8.

No. As I recall, after Bree and Mandy found Jem in the cave--and after the conspiracy nuts attacked them at Lallybroch, Bree and the kids were planning to travel back to the 1770s and make their way to the Ridge. However, they got pulled back to the 1740s instead and met up with Roger in the past--probably because one or all of them were thinking of Roger at the time and he drew them to him. I was under the impression they traveled from the 1740s to the 1770s directly, but now that someone pointed it out, it really wasn't explained was it?

But, yeah, I think they basically figured out how to travel more precisely by accident.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1
(edited)
22 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

But they traveled back from North Carolina. They made a big deal about not wanting to make another 18th century sea voyage. 

Right. But then they thought Jem had been kidnapped through the stones after they were living at Lallybroch so Roger went after him.  Then, somehow, 1980's Bree was in America, I think, and got a letter from 1740's Roger telling her what had happened and so then she apparently went after him because she and the kids found him at 1740's Lallybroch.  Isn't that when Brian sees her and mistakes her for the ghost of Ellen?

The problem is that we don't know what happened between Bree & Roger reuniting in the 1740's Scotland and them showing up in the 1770-1780's Fraser's Ridge.  

Maybe they traveled back to 1980's Scotland, flew to the US and went through the stones on Hatteras (or Okracoke or somewhere in the OB) back to the 1770's.  That would solve the problem of another 18th century sea voyage.  Based on the theory in the books, they could have used J&C to steer to the correct time in the 18th century.  Still, that's a lot of trips through the stones, especially for the little kids. 

Edited by toolazy

I really haven’t seen any recent #Daily Lines fromDiana but I did see this this a.m. on Twitter:

About 8 hours ago, Diana replied in a tweet from a Julie Flores that the next book “would probably come out sometime next year...” That’s the first time frame she’s ever given, as far as I know.