Type keyword(s) to search

The Corinthos Clan: When You're Related to Sonny, Who Needs Enemies?

• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, Chairperson Meow said:

Yeah, I'd be like fuck the system too about now.

That's just it, though. It would be truer to form if Sonny thought the system was worthless no matter who was being charged. He whines about the system letting him down only when he's affected by it. 

• Love 1
Just now, dubbel zout said:

That's just it, though. It would be truer to form if Sonny thought the system was worthless no matter who was being charged. He whines about the system letting him down only when he's affected by it. 

Yeah but Sonny whines about everything though.  It's how we know Morgan is his child.  Dante, I'm not so sure of, but they do both like pasta though.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Oracle42 said:

Can you imagine the insane amount of whining and righteous indignation that would result from Sonny going to prison because he was framed?

If it were Dante doing the framing, I could deal with it!

• Love 3

I've been watching scenes of when I genuinely liked Sonny. And I realized that it really had a lot to do with who he interacted with. Stone, Brenda, Lois, Mike, Jason, Robin, Lily, Luke, absolutely humanized this character. I can't even deny it. Mo's performance back then had a lot to do with it, too, but with the writing and Sonny's relationships, it's clear to me how he became a sustainable character, even in the face of his business and that world. 

I feel like somewhere along the way, the show got lazy, Mo got lazy, and just rided off his popularity. Sonny did outlandish things and behaved in OTT ways with no complexities to his behavior. And it didn't help that his relationship with Carly was extremely abusive.

But Sonny/Jason/Robin scenes were so freaking good. They had such a great rapport and chemistry as a trio.

Jason: I was wondering if I could get a few days off. I want to take Robin someplace nice before she has to go away.

Sonny: Just the two of you?

Jason: Oh, you wanna come? I figured you'd be busy!

Sonny: You want me to bust a chair over his head now or later?

Robin: No, I can do it!

• Love 1

Y'all, I'm scared. Too many things that I wanted to happen...happened. Claud gone, Sabrina dead, Morgan dead, Jason a human, Robin thriving, and, ultimately, 2015 was ERASED and no one mentions anything during that time.

Speaking of things happening that one wanted to happen . . . thanks for this shot of Dante brooding at a window, show.

Although I'm officially sick of the flannel. I swear the man used to have a sweater or two. Nina must have ate them or something.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, ulkis said:

I wasn't a fan of Patrick's beard for some reason though. Leave the beards in the family to Matt, Patrick!

I wasn't either. It looked like something JT wanted to do for fun and out of laziness.

• Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 2:14 PM, HeatLifer said:

I wasn't either. It looked like something JT wanted to do for fun and out of laziness.

I thought JT's beard was his protest beard- protesting Patrina?   He shaved it after they put him in the story with Sam/KeMo.  He then grew the protest mullet- protesting SamTrick.  When he left, he got a proper hairstyle and is now beautiful again.   This is probably DZ's protest beard- protesting the Stavlu embryo.  I'm feeling it. 

CD was awesome when Michael was on his revenge tour of all things CarSon and should be a leading man in his age bracket.  However, once Michael went tack to licking CarSon's boots, I was back to being bored with the character and his romantic interests are bad.

Okay, I'm going into TOTAL speculation territory, and I could be COMPLETELY wrong - but is it just me or does Maurice Benard get slightly more defensive when Michael is anti-Sonny as opposed to Sonny's other kids? Is he defensive over the AJ history? Is he nervous that it could damage Sonny's popularity? It's weird.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ulkis said:

Is he nervous that it could damage Sonny's popularity?

I think he is. Dante is Sonny's son but an adult when they met, and Dante has a life separate from Sonny. Morgan is dead (for now), and Kristina is girl child. Michael is, and always has been, the only kid Sonny has that he can influence in any way, and I think MB wants to keep that relationship that way so that Sonny always has the upper hand.

• Love 1

You do realize he treated his love interests like shit? He was pretty abusive. If the show was trying to pretend there was more to his character, they failed. He was  really never humanized by his women. 

@HeatLifer

I actually wonder if the writers thought Sonny needed a love interest to humanize him. I think Ron did maybe, but I think with Guza it may have just been that he thought Sonny needed to have someone in his bed because he was a virile hot mobster dude. Actually that may have been more Mo than Guza. I imagine he may have been afraid of Sonny becoming remotely asexual if he went too long without a love interest. 

Emily was definitely about humanizing him though. Which of course was Mo/Paula's idea. And you know, I would say that annoying Kate/Connie 2.0 actually did humanize him a bit - he was caring about her and her problems. So oddly enough he does that humanization and Mo's response was like RON HATES SONNY.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, ulkis said:

@HeatLifer

I actually wonder if the writers thought Sonny needed a love interest to humanize him. I think Ron did maybe, but I think with Guza it may have just been that he thought Sonny needed to have someone in his bed because he was a virile hot mobster dude. Actually that may have been more Mo than Guza. I imagine he may have been afraid of Sonny becoming remotely asexual if he went too long without a love interest. 

Emily was definitely about humanizing him though. Which of course was Mo/Paula's idea. And you know, I would say that annoying Kate/Connie 2.0 actually did humanize him a bit - he was caring about her and her problems. So oddly enough he does that humanization and Mo's response was like RON HATES SONNY.

I think after Brenda? It was more about having someone in his bed, yes. They weren't all necessarily being used to make him "good" because like I said, for the most part, his wives or girlfriends were used so he can yell and threaten someone during various outbursts. 

Sonny was mainly humanized by a few people in the *beginning*: Brenda, Stone, Robin, Mike. I'd maybe add Jason. That is all.

From there, his children entered the picture. 

4 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Yeah. And his friendship with Lois and his cute intimidation by Laura.

Yes.

Carly was probably one of the worst things to happen to Sonny and vice versa. Forget chemistry and all that. On paper? One of the worst pairings this show attempted, IMO. 

Edited by HeatLifer
27 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

Yes.

Carly was probably one of the worst things to happen to Sonny and vice versa. Forget chemistry and all that. On paper? One of the worst pairings this show attempted, IMO. 

To this day, the pairing still feels rather random. I don't know if MB was playing his scenes with restrained lust or what, but when Carly was like, "I know you want me" I was all, "he does?"

It is interesting to think of how Carly would have developed if they hadn't stuck her with Sonny and Jason. I wonder if Bobbie would have had more longevity.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, ulkis said:

To this day, the pairing still feels rather random. I don't know if MB was playing his scenes with restrained lust or what, but when Carly was like, "I know you want me" I was all, "he does?"

It is interesting to think of how Carly would have developed if they hadn't stuck her with Sonny and Jason. I wonder if Bobbie would have had more longevity.

LOL. I had the same feeling. I never bought that Sonny actually wanted Carly. I still 100% believe it happened because of behind-the-scenes stuff. It was never organic to what would realistically happen on-screen.

I think Carly lasted so long BECAUSE of Sonny and Jason....

• Love 1
1 hour ago, HeatLifer said:

You do realize he treated his love interests like shit? He was pretty abusive. If the show was trying to pretend there was more to his character, they failed. He was  really never humanized by his women. 

I think he's treated everyone he's ever dated like garbage (except Kate 1.0 and Kannie. I really thought there was something interesting and worthwhile with Kate and I wish it hadn't been thrown away for a Claudia pairing) BUT that's kinda the thing I like about it. The "bad boys" who treat everyone like crap except their ladies? Always end up treating their ladies like garbage too - because that's their default. But watching Sonny constantly try and fail at relationships because he doesn't love anyone or anything more than he loves himself/his job/his power is incredibly humanizing. I don't think his relationships make him look good, but that's not the same thing.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ulkis said:

I think with Guza it may have just been that he thought Sonny needed to have someone in his bed because he was a virile hot mobster dude. Actually that may have been more Mo than Guza. I imagine he may have been afraid of Sonny becoming remotely asexual if he went too long without a love interest. 

I agree.

1 hour ago, Oracle42 said:

But watching Sonny constantly try and fail at relationships because he doesn't love anyone or anything more than he loves himself/his job/his power is incredibly humanizing.

It would be humanizing if Sony learned from that, but he never learns anything.

19 hours ago, Oracle42 said:

I think he's treated everyone he's ever dated like garbage (except Kate 1.0 and Kannie. I really thought there was something interesting and worthwhile with Kate and I wish it hadn't been thrown away for a Claudia pairing) BUT that's kinda the thing I like about it. The "bad boys" who treat everyone like crap except their ladies? Always end up treating their ladies like garbage too - because that's their default. But watching Sonny constantly try and fail at relationships because he doesn't love anyone or anything more than he loves himself/his job/his power is incredibly humanizing. I don't think his relationships make him look good, but that's not the same thing.

I agree.  I also hate the "Sonny loves his kids" trope because it follows the "bad boy/girl does bad things, but they love their children" trope that tv loves to throw out.  I hate it because if you look at the stories, the kids get treated like crap.  Sonny has treated his children as badly as he's treated his enemies, and that's saying a lot.  They're constantly collateral damage, and Sonny never learns from it nor stops the behavior.  It happens with other characters on this show and others, but it's consistent with Sonny.  They have him do a terrible thing, and then they have Mo have scenes with either his kids or a baby or another child character to show the character how "cute" it is.  It's annoying. 

• Love 3
On 12/16/2016 at 6:44 PM, dubbel zout said:

I agree.

It would be humanizing if Sony learned from that, but he never learns anything.

If anything, he's unlearned over the years.  I think he hit a point, well over a decade ago, probably close to two decades ago, where he understood that his devotion to his job was a bad thing for the people around him. I'm referring to when he left Brenda at the altar.  Yes, he did it in a shitty manner, but I think he knew he needed to do it that way to not give her a chance to talk him out of it.  But, now?  Now, he just feels like everyone should just accept that this is his life.  He pays lip service, for about 5 minutes, to feeling bad about however he hurts a loved one, but then it's just back to "why you bringing up old stuff"?  

• Love 4
On 12/16/2016 at 6:01 PM, HeatLifer said:

LOL. I had the same feeling. I never bought that Sonny actually wanted Carly. I still 100% believe it happened because of behind-the-scenes stuff. It was never organic to what would realistically happen on-screen.

More musings on Sonny secretly lusting on Carly before hate sex - I didn't really buy it, not just because it didn't seem to me like MB was playing it, but I don't think Carly was Sonny's type at all. I don't care how self-loathing he was (which, he has never particularly seemed like that to me, even early in Sonny's run), I don't think he'd be attracted to Carly that much. Sonny likes conventionally beautiful women.

• Love 1

More musings on Sonny secretly lusting on Carly before hate sex - I didn't really buy it, not just because it didn't seem to me like MB was playing it, but I don't think Carly was Sonny's type at all. I don't care how self-loathing he was (which, he has never particularly seemed like that to me, even early in Sonny's run), I don't think he'd be attracted to Carly that much. Sonny likes conventionally beautiful women.

That, too. She really wasn't his type in that department. 

I also think MB played it like Sonny wanted to prove to Jason that Carly was trash and couldn't be trusted. 

• Love 4
Just now, HeatLifer said:

That, too. She really wasn't his type in that department. 

I will forever laugh at Diane saying Sonny had 30 pounds of sheer muscle on Claudia. (Which I just thought of because I was thinking Sonny wouldn't really be into women with SB's build. TB's Carly made more sense in that department.)

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, ulkis said:

I will forever laugh at Diane saying Sonny had 30 pounds of sheer muscle on Claudia. (Which I just thought of because I was thinking Sonny wouldn't really be into women with SB's build. TB's Carly made more sense in that department.)

LOL. He looks the most awkward with LW. I don't think Sonny would ever be with someone who wasn't super short and brunette. Carly is such an outlier.

• Love 2

LOL. He looks the most awkward with LW. I don't think Sonny would ever be with someone who wasn't super short and brunette. Carly is such an outlier.

Yup, I don't think Sonny would be with anyone who was taller than him, even if only in heels. To be honest, I think that's probably one of the reasons why MB doesn't want Sonny/Carly either. Or I should say, doesn't prefer Sonny/Carly.

• Love 4

Yup, I don't think Sonny would be with anyone who was taller than him, even if only in heels. To be honest, I think that's probably one of the reasons why MB doesn't want Sonny/Carly either. Or I should say, doesn't prefer Sonny/Carly.

I wouldn't be surprised. I also think Sonny and Carly don't make sense as a longtime couple. They're two people who really never had much in common except a desire for money and power, I guess. 

• Love 2

I wouldn't be surprised. I also think Sonny and Carly don't make sense as a longtime couple. They're two people who really never had much in common except a desire for money and power, I guess. 

The shit Carly was saying the other day was hurting me, man. (As SBu's Carly used to say). Going on about how okay she'd go back to him but she wouldn't be able to take it if her hurt her one more time. COME ON. Carly would know that he is going to fuck up in someway. Unless they were writing a story about how Carly is so incredibly damaged now that she's become unbalanced, but that's not what they're doing. 

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, ulkis said:

The shit Carly was saying the other day was hurting me, man. (As SBu's Carly used to say). Going on about how okay she'd go back to him but she wouldn't be able to take it if her hurt her one more time. COME ON. Carly would know that he is going to fuck up in someway. Unless they were writing a story about how Carly is so incredibly damaged now that she's become unbalanced, but that's not what they're doing. 

TPTB completely gutted who Carly (and Sam, btw) really is. She knows the deal.

• Love 6

One of the worst things RC did was to throw Carly/Sonny back together when Carly/Franco (predictably) failed.  I do think that Carly/Sonny worked for the stories that we're being told at the time with the previous actresses but Michael's shooting should have been it for them as a couple - 

• Love 3

I'm only slightly mollified that Dante still brings up Sonny shooting him. Michael never says anything about him shooting AJ. (Since Robin is mostly gone, I'm giving her a pass for not reminding Sonny about firing a gun in her house.)

Sometimes they bring it up, in the vaguest of terms. On one hand, it's maddening, on the other, if Sonny is still gonna be on the show, I guess best not to bring up the fact that he shot a relatively innocent man and got away with it very often. But if you're not a Sonny/MB ff, it's hard to overlook. There's a twitter account (fyeahgh) who was usually very positive about most of the show, but even they started calling shenanigans with this Sonny and Carly v Ava for custody stuff.

• Love 3
On 1/13/2017 at 3:57 PM, ulkis said:

I will forever laugh at Diane saying Sonny had 30 pounds of sheer muscle on Claudia.

That had to be before Max told her he had to carry a drunk Emily upstairs.

• Love 2

From the Spoilers thread:

On 5/27/2017 at 4:16 AM, Asp Burger said:

I felt watching Friday's show that I could see the return of Morgan coming from a mile off. They pretty much have to, at this point, especially if the plan is to keep Ava long term. Then Sonny and Carly can still hate her (their son is alive but "no thanks to [her]!") but not to a homicidal degree. The story will be something about him being thrown clear of the blast and wandering around with amnesia. If it isn't going to be Bry-Dawg (and Laura Wright seemed so firm that a Bry-Dawg return would not happen, ever), they can make the character's new face part of the story or not. I'll feel even more that this is coming if Dillon and Kiki get more serious. 

On 5/27/2017 at 5:25 AM, Chairperson Meow said:

Is it too much to ask that a new Morgan won't be tainted by acting advice from Mo?  Let Laura Wright coach him.  Because Bry Dawg was decent till he started imitating Mo.

Pretty much the only way to circumvent the possibility a new recast Morgan actor doesn't end up with his lips appended to Mo's ass is to bring in a "get" -an actor from another soap or maybe the CW or Freeform that has already built up a positive reputation and doesn't need Mo's "advice"*.  It's still possible such an actor could become a Mo acolyte because that insures survival on GH, but it would make it a bit less likely.

Me, I'm ready for a Morgan recast for no other reason than it would make all the other characters finally SHUT THE FUCK UP about his so-called "tragic" demise.

* - That of course carries it's own set of downsides, especially if the actor picked ends up being from Y&R or is a former OLTL actor.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

That had to be before Max told her he had to carry a drunk Emily upstairs.

It couldn't have been--Sonny & Emily were in 2005-2006, and Claudia wasn't there until 2008. 

6 minutes ago, UYI said:

It couldn't have been--Sonny & Emily were in 2005-2006, and Claudia wasn't there until 2008. 

I think dubbel zout was joking. :) 

I was half-joking. ;-) I like to think Max saves that bit of information about Sonny for when people just go on and on and on about how wonderful he is, and then Max mutters it under his breath: "Yeah, he's so great he can't even carry his girlfriend upstairs."

• Love 3

I will forever wonder what Mo thought of that "Sonny/Jason war" story. That proved once and for all who the top dog was in Guzaland. Jason handed Sonny his ass. Remember Sonny sputtering in impotent rage when Jason said that if Sonny did this and that, he would "give back" the things he had taken away? I cannot remember the details at all (I guess what he took away was the assets and territories and all that mobspeak), but as I remember it, Jason just thoroughly outmaneuvered Sonny in about a week of shows.  

• Love 1
19 hours ago, yowsah1 said:

From the Spoilers thread:

Pretty much the only way to circumvent the possibility a new recast Morgan actor doesn't end up with his lips appended to Mo's ass is to bring in a "get" -an actor from another soap or maybe the CW or Freeform that has already built up a positive reputation and doesn't need Mo's "advice"*.  It's still possible such an actor could become a Mo acolyte because that insures survival on GH, but it would make it a bit less likely.

Me, I'm ready for a Morgan recast for no other reason than it would make all the other characters finally SHUT THE FUCK UP about his so-called "tragic" demise.

* - That of course carries it's own set of downsides, especially if the actor picked ends up being from Y&R or is a former OLTL actor.

Its a long shot, but Vampire Diaries just ended.  There are three actors that could possibly play Morgan, depending on how they want to write him.  I'll dream big, say screw logic and throw down Ian Sommerholder.  Why?  He's attractive, can act, and has enough experience/ego to not listen to Mo.  He has a decent fan base and would bring ratings.  Plus, I'm sure the steady paycheck with options to do other things would be attractive to him.  Is he too old?  Yes, but he just played a teen/late 20s character for 8 years.  The only thing is that there's no way in hell Kiki/Dillon are keeping up with him.  But an Ava/Morgan romance or Maxie/Morgan romance would be awesome.  They're the only two I see keeping up with him.

A more realistic scenario would be Paul Wesley who played Stefan or the actor who played Tyler.  Either of those two would still being ratings, can act, and wouldn't care what Mo said either.  Maurice Bernard would be miserable.  But if GH is going to stop being about Sonny/Carly/Sam/Jason, imo they need something like this.  A strong male actor who isn't afraid of politics or not having a job.  

Also, if Freeform is an option...

Baby Daddy just ended.  Cast any of the male leads on GH. 

Anybody catch Rachel Maddow flash a quick pic of Mo on her show tonight?  It happened around 48 minutes in as she started talking about AG Sessions' testimony tomorrow at 2PM Eastern.  "There's a lot of good TV on at 2:00 in the afternoon.  I found that out when I was sick for ten days or so."  

Hilarious.  

• Love 1
13 hours ago, navelgazer said:

Anybody catch Rachel Maddow flash a quick pic of Mo on her show tonight?  It happened around 48 minutes in as she started talking about AG Sessions' testimony tomorrow at 2PM Eastern.  "There's a lot of good TV on at 2:00 in the afternoon.  I found that out when I was sick for ten days or so."  

Hilarious.  

That's so great. I kind of hope she talks about GH in one way or another from now on.