Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E13: Three Bells (1)

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Part 1 of a two-part crossover with Chicago P.D., episode 02x13 - A Little Devil Complex (2) which airs 2-4-15.
More info: 
Additional clues about Shay's death emerge. Meanwhile, Severide faces an old foe; Shay's sister arrives, inspiring the firehouse members to reflect on her life; Otis' grandmother relocates; and Boden sets out to help his dying father (Richard Roundtree).

I don't normally watch thus show but taped it because of the crossover I watch "Chicago P.D." Absolutely hate hype about a crossover and see two seconds of a character from the other show at the end, Feels like a cheap ploy to gain viewers.

• Love 2

I don't normally watch thus show but taped it because of the crossover I watch "Chicago P.D." Absolutely hate hype about a crossover and see two seconds of a character from the other show at the end, Feels like a cheap ploy to gain viewers.

It seems like these crossovers are skewed more toward bringing viewers to Chicago PD. I feel like in the last few crossovers the set up has been to use the last few minutes of the Chicago Fire episode to set up a story on Chicago PD. So any Chicago Fire viewer who wants to see the conclusion of the storyline has to watch PD. If you just watch PD you could probably just watch the previouslies and follow the storyline from there.

Even in the most solemn moment since the house stood at attention for the little boy killed in the laundry chute, Gabby manages to make it all about her. Why didn't Kelly talk!?!

I thought this at first too. But when I thought about it some more it made sense. This was a tribute to Shay's work and Dawson and Shay were long-time work partners.

Haven't suffered through all of this episode b/c was bored to tears between this and the previous one.

My question, however:  yes, legally arson constitutes murder if it results in someone's death.  That doesn't tell me, however, that Shay was specifically targeted.  The suspect may have saved the articles b/c someone, anyone, died or merely as a trophy of the arson itself.

Will see if the remainder of this episode or PD answers that question.

• Love 1

Looks like we have a new Scooby gang, what with Severide, Dawson, and Brett forming their own investigation team.

Even with the little drabble from Dawson at the ceremony, they made up for it with the bell ringing.  The 3x3 strikes on the bell is a throwback to the old days of firefighting when the bell was struck alarms, return of company, and such (hence the term 'strike an alarm...').  9 strikes on the bell is reserved for memorializing the death of a firefighter and it is the most somber part of the ceremony. 

I liked the scene in the truck on the way back from the fire, when Casey looks around and sees Dawson laughing with the guys.  "Hey, wait a minute.  she's becoming a firefighter. Without my help.  But, but.."

Speaking of that fire, wouldn't it have made sense to put a hose through the window while Casey was effecting his rescue?  Or at least go to the door first and open it to allow more people in.

I liked the scene in the truck on the way back from the fire, when Casey looks around and sees Dawson laughing with the guys.  "Hey, wait a minute.  she's becoming a firefighter. Without my help.  But, but.."

Thank you for raising this because I forgot to ask this question before. When Casey came outside after they dragged the janitor out, Gabby said something to him I couldn't hear completely. I *thought she said something like "Baby, don't ever scare me like that again."  So when they were in the truck and he looked back at her laughing away, I saw it as him being completely confused as to the status of their relationship. As in, "hey waitaminnit. I thought we broke up?"  Anyone hear what she said? I much prefer Dowel's take on it.

It may be a little of both. She said "Damn baby, don't scare me like that." He was both confused because of the current status of their relationship. They still clearly have feelings for one another, they just were not able to make it work with the job.

• Love 1

I know it's been said so many times but DAMN Dawson is so annoying GOD, her resting face, her voice... so now her dream was to become fire fighter? I hate her as a fire fighter just as I don't like Mills as a paramedic. Dawson doesn't even seem like a candidate, the show is all about her... FREE CASEY! She should go back to her medecine dream. How I miss seasons 1 and 2!!!!!!!!! The show became sooo cliché, like a soap opera.

I really like the team though. Especially Hermann! Severide also (really good acting). I just feel bad that the female characters are not interesting (Shay was). 

(sorry for my english, I'm italian)

Edited by lilishowtv
  • Love 2
Speaking of that fire, wouldn't it have made sense to put a hose through the window while Casey was effecting his rescue?  Or at least go to the door first and open it to allow more people in.

Didn't Casey get bumped on the head when the ceiling fell down?  Do I need to remind the creative team that he has only one good head injury left in him?

FREE CASEY!

Casey, put your picture online, any date site of your choosing.  Trust me, you can have your pick of baggage-free women who are ready to settle down and have your children.  You are just that good looking, why am I the first person who has ever told you that?

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 2

Casey, put your picture online, any date site of your choosing.  Trust me, you can have your pick of baggage-free women who are ready to settle down and have your children.  You are just that good looking, why am I the first person who has ever told you that?

Why even do online dating? Just go out to a bunch of places (bars, parks, wherever) with some of his CFD clothing on. Or is the stereotype about women liking firefighters not true?

• Love 1

I blindly followed this story over to Chicago PD last night, only to have my senses assaulted by another Gabby-fest!  When she was stuck in the elevator, I couldn't help thinking of old Lassie episodes where Timmy (a nine-year-old boy) was always getting stuck in a well and Lassie (a faithful dog) had to bark to save her.  I remember a standup comic once saying that at some point Lassie should just gone off and chased rabbits and left Timmy in that well so natural selection could reclaim him.  I'm just saying....

• Love 2

And somehow, she's even more annoying on Chicago PD! I'm waiting for the Chicago Gabby spinoff, that way it can be 100% Gabby, all the time. 

All this episode did was set up the much better Chicago PD half. I liked Shay's sister and all, but she was boring. Russian grandma knitting in the corner was funny. I kept waiting of her to bust out some perfect English to tell Cruz to shut up. 

• Love 2
I liked Shay's sister and all, but she was boring.

Yes she was but I think that is how she was written.  She was Shay's less-pretty, less-dynamic sister who does the bidding of her parents.  In any other family she would have been prized for the beautiful person she was, but the only way to compete with Shay is to throw Gabby-like histrionics, and thank God we were spared from that.

Edited by MaryHedwig

Russian grandma knitting in the corner was funny.

Ok, weirdly enough? That did not look like knitting to me. Maybe a knitter can tell me differently, but that honestly looks like a crocheted ripple afghan with knitting needles threaded into it. Did the prop dept just not have a knitter available and assumed no one would notice?

• Love 1

Not only catch a lighter, but catch a lighter only a few inches above a fume-less pool of gas that had just moments before the fumes had been choking her. Yeah, I know, it's TV, I can suspend disbelief that the lighter could that close and not set everything off... if she hadn't just been coughing because of it. That's just... so bad.

I'm saying Antonio probably rightfully has a little sibling rage in there, and at least at the time might have been as disappointed as us that Gabby caught it.

Only after seeing this now.

Who's the actress playing Shays sister?

I actually was in pain looking at Hadley. The actor did a great job conveying how much pain the burns caused the character.

Cruz and Otis are my favourite couple on this show.

I'd imagine that Shay being targeted is just the round about way of making sure Dawson will be targeted therefore making the episode (and Shays death) All About Dawson.

Agree, the Dawson connection is always a possibility.  I assumed he targeted her after she showed up at his workplace with Severide.

That said, after finishing this episode plus the CPD portion, I never felt that they properly developed the plot.  As a viewer, I don't expect them to explain every detail but this was insufficient, IMHO.

Did he always target firefighters?  If so, should we believe that he blamed them for the deaths of his family?  That's the only thing I can assume based on what I saw and understood.

Or, was he just a pyro who was tickled if/when anyone died as a result of his handiwork?  Can't assume that each fire would rub out a firefighter. 

Were firefighters from other houses victims, too?  Can't remember if the map extended into other geographical Chi-town neighborhoods.

Not surprising that with as many fires as they assumed he was responsible for, he killed a few firefighters along the way.  Did he just get lucky that they were all connected, e.g. Mills' father, Casey's friend (can't remember the name but wasn't he included?) and finally, Shay?  Other 51 guys - from other shifts / working groups?

Either I missed the details or they're on the cutting room floor!