Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E12: Padre Sandunguero

• Start Topic

Amaro's estranged father is arrested at his own wedding after a fight erupts, and Amaro becomes a witness in a case involving family secrets.

Of note, one place has this as Sandunguero, another Sandunguera. Choose the spelling you like and roll with it!

I'm not sure how I feel about an Amaro-centric episode. Everytime they center an episode on Amaro, he turns into this angry monster/ Stabler #2 person. I saw a pic on the L&O:SVU Facebook that has Carisi in it, so that means Rollins is probably not in this episode. Which is totally fine by me. 

It may sound weird, but I don't mind watching SVU whenever Carisi is on. I feel like he makes it so much better and he is super handsome, so that's another plus. Whenever he is not on, I feel like the episode is not worth watching. 

Hopefully Amaro will be likable in this episode. I really like Danny Pino and it is a shame that they made his character so similar to Stabler. 

• Love 1

Danny Pino was great in this episode. This episode didn't annoy me as much as I thought it would. The father was such a scumbag.

Does anyone else feel like everyone is mean to Carisi, like they are annoyed by him? Lol!

• Love 3

Wow, just wow.

Never in a million years did I think I'd like Nick Amaro...

And poor Barba. God, that man needs a hug or ten.

I hate when Barba gets defeated, especially by scummy people.

• Love 6

I agree that it wasn't as bad as I thought this was going to be. I can't believe that I am actually saying this, but I actually felt for Amaro. It was kind of ridiculous that SVU was investigating this case (I know "conflict of interest" barely exist in the SVU world, but come on), but once things got going, I thought the Amaro family dynamics were interesting, if not a little obvious. I loved the scenes between Barba and Amaro. 

• Love 2

A few years ago I took a book from the free pile at the library bookshop that had been previously owned by Armand Assante.

I didn't watch the episode but now I'm a little disappointed I missed a Tucker episode. I love that guy!!

Assante really brought it in that last scene. Where he finally, finally reveals, after a lifetime or gaslighting everybody around him, including himself, that he knows what a shitbag he is. "They'll get over it. I'm the big bad wolf." The way he tells Amaro that the hate will eat him up, just like his own hatred of his own father turned him into a monster? Amaro finally gets what he always wanted--his dad admitting the truth--and it's completely the opposite of how he thought it would be.

Tucker runs into Benson in a cop bar and offers to buy her a drink while practically shredding her clothing with his eyes, and despite the fact that Tucker has investigated her, all her partners, a couple of her boyfriends, and the guy who goes through her recycling like fifteen times each by now, Benson either can't resist the icy hotness of Robert John Burke, or she's like, "This is so fucking out there, it could totally work; maybe he's good with babies?" so she says yes, she'll have a glass of wine. Tucker's like, nope, you're drinking bourbon. Benson's like, o...kay! Guys: I think I ship these two. Help.

I could not BAY-LEEEVE how upsettingly hot that scene was. Who is this guy and what has he done with the knight errant whose only goal was to shut SVU down by any means necessary? Between Benson and Barba's bitch-flirt phone convo last week and this..this here, Benson's gonna be puling it all over town.

Edited by Snookums
  • Love 5

I liked this episode and I thought Amaro was great in it.  Armand Assante was fantastic in the role and I was really hoping Sr Amaro would get convicted.  Barba seemed off his game in the courtroom this time I thought.  Couldn't stand the smug lawyer either.  I would have like to see the fiancé on that stand.   Maybe because I have never been in a family situation like that but there would be no way I would be defending (or saying maybe the fiancé did something like the ex wife said) my father if I know he has a history of beating my mother.  What if next time he kills her. Maybe that makes me disloyal to my family.

• Love 1

Danny Pino knocked this episode out of the park. My heart just broke for Amaro during those scenes with his father. And Barba was awesome, but yeah, he seemed a little off his game. I attributed that to the stuff he alluded to with his own father during the conversation with Amaro in the bar. The pain in the courtroom was palpable, with Barba taking those deep breaths and Amaro letting that single tear sneak out of his eye. Barba and Amaro don't always get along, but I think maybe they've found some common ground. And that last scene with Amaro and his dad? GAH. Heartbreaking. Assante, Pino, and Esparza all KILLED IT this episode. 

On a lighter note, Benson and Tucker for the win! I think I might be starting to ship that, too.

• Love 4

I thought the acting was great, but I'm still tired of stories about the squads personal lives and watching them get hit on the head with the Sledgehammer of Angst. We get it already. I'm just waiting for the inevitable episode where we find out that Carisi or one of his family members is the victim or perpetrator of a sex crime.

• Love 4

I thought the acting was great, but I'm still tired of stories about the squads personal lives and watching them get hit on the head with the Sledgehammer of Angst. We get it already. I'm just waiting for the inevitable episode where we find out that Carisi or one of his family members is the victim or perpetrator of a sex crime.

I am also tired of stories about the squad. I think SVU over does those types of episodes. They have obviously overdone it with Olivia. At this point, I can't stand Olivia. 

• Love 4

I could not BAY-LEEEVE how upsettingly hot that scene was. Who is this guy and what has he done with the knight errant whose only goal was to shut SVU down by any means necessary? Between Benson and Barba's bitch-flirt phone convo last week and this..this here, Benson's gonna be puling it all over town.

Don't forget Benson with Voight during the crossover!

Danny Pino was great in this episode. This episode didn't annoy me as much as I thought it would. The father was such a scumbag.

Does anyone else feel like everyone is mean to Carisi, like they are annoyed by him? Lol!

Yea I felt as if I wanted to slap his father. He got off scot free and there's no why he should have. Tbh, he seemed like a narcissist as well. Gave me the chills. Felt SO bad for Amaro :(.

I just saw the (preliminary) ratings and all I can say is OUCH!

It did THAT bad?

Seconded on all of it.

Enough of the ANGST! And lets get back to business.

• Love 1

I agree that Barba seemed off his game. When the alleged suspect didn't have any marks on him - not from the fiance or not from Amaro Sr. - I thought Barba would have already slam-dunked the case.

Also, it was repeated over and over that the fiance "accidentally" hit her head on the wall? If that was just the case, then why did she have a cut on her lip?? No one bothered to question how she got that??? Usually Benson is all over these specific details on injuries.

And is there a reason why the EMT couldn't be a witness on the case? As he was on the scene and he heard what the woman said, it wouldn't be hearsay, right? The non-SVU detectives made a big deal about him hearing what the fiance told Amaro. And then when the case went to trial, no one bothered to even mention him. He would make a credible witness supporting what Amaro heard since he didn't have any familial connections and would have nothing to gain or lose.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 5

I think Barba being off his game definitely has something to do with Nick's father reminding him of his own. He mentions that thinking of his father makes him clench his fists in anger, and in the court scenes you can see him doing just that if you're paying attention.

• Love 4

Yeah I agree that Barba was off his game. I expected him to push Nicholas into getting angry at him and showing his true colors. He's certainly done things like that before.

In that final scene did anyone else expect Benson to be hiding around the corner waiting to see if she'd have to break up a fight?

Sarah, as far as learning about characters lives is concerned, you could add the bit about Barba's father having passed away 15 years ago, him seeming to have daddy issues as well.

And yes Sarah I've noticed it too. Characters have come very close to calling Barba a certain F word in the last two episodes.

Well, I have to say I'm alittle disappointed  this show has made me actually enjoy Amaro. Damn them!
At least Olivia is still an overbearing sanctimonious ass, that helps ease my pain a little.

As everyone has already stated Danny Pino was great this episode.
I felt the end scene between him and his father was some of the most realistic and emotional gripping scenes this show has done in a long time. Armand Assante seemed a little over the top in most of the episode, but he was so awesome in the end scene I forgot all about my early misgivings. I really liked how they decided to end the episode with him being honest to Amaro.

I too am not sure why everyone seems perpetually annoyed at Carasi. 
He’s proven to be a good and objective detective, which I might mention is in short supply in that squad.
He also has been supportive to his coworkers  AND seems to be a lot more fun than this group of Debbie downers!
Please do not let the powers that be ruin him with his own “ Very Special After School” episode.

One gripe… I’m getting tired of the writers trying to convince me how desirable Olivia is.
I mean, I watch this show and at best she’s tiresome and judgmental.

Almost forgot… I will forgive this season for all its deep dives into the precinct personal lives if I can get one scene of Carisi bringing Barba and Finn bowling with him.

I agree re: the near-slurs thrown at Barba. What are we supposed to make of that? Is it really leading somewhere, or is it just subtext WL et al are putting in there for people who interpret Barba as a queer man? The first time, with the Spanish Dandy comment, I might have been willing to write it off as a racial insult that also jabs at Barba's less-than-macho presentation, but twice in a row can't be ignored. Nick's dad clearly intended to call him SOMETHING degrading and the odds are zilch it would be about his race this time.

If/when Barba's orientation does finally get addressed in canon: please just have it be a calm coming out, not a melodramatic ordeal.

• Love 1
I too am not sure why everyone seems perpetually annoyed at Carasi.

He’s proven to be a good and objective detective, which I might mention is in short supply in that squad.

He also has been supportive to his coworkers  AND seems to be a lot more fun than this group of Debbie downers!

Please do not let the powers that be ruin him with his own “ Very Special After School” episode.

It' s so weird that in every episode,, everyone seems to have something against him. Who ever is in charge of character development really needs to get everyone sorted out. A big attitude adjustment is in desperate need. 

As much as I would love to learn a little bit more about Carisi, I am hesitant because I know this show loves to bring all the characters down and make the audience hate them. They always go way over the top and ruin everything. I love Carisi, don't make me regret it!

I also agree that he seems like he is fun and doesn't let things bring him down. We will see if this lasts. 

One last thing, does anyone else know when this comes back on? It's not on next week. 

One gripe… I’m getting tired of the writers trying to convince me how desirable Olivia is.

I mean, I watch this show and at best she’s tiresome and judgmental.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. We are on the same page.  If I haven't said, thank you!

• Love 1

So conflicted.  Love Danny Pino, hate Amaro.  

My number one thought through this whole episode:  "Daaaaaaamn.  Didn't anyone at SVU have a happy childhood?" 

It's like having a horrible family is a job requirement.  I'm going to die a little inside when we find out that Carisi had a funny uncle who liked playing with matches.

From Sarah's recap: 

Benson either can't resist the icy hotness of Robert John Burke, or she's like, "This is so fucking out there, it could totally work; maybe he's good with babies?" so she says yes, she'll have a glass of wine. Tucker's like, nope, you're drinking bourbon. Benson's like, o...kay! Guys: I think I ship these two. Help.

Me too, man, me too.  And I feel a little funny inside about it. 

Edited by whirlingdervish
  • Love 2

Preliminary:

1.2/4   6.75 M viewers.

To be fair, it is now airing opposite Fox's Empire which is just crushing everything else in the slot.

Ah I see.

So conflicted.  Love Danny Pino, hate Amaro.  

My number one thought through this whole episode:  "Daaaaaaamn.  Didn't anyone at SVU have a happy childhood?" 

It's like having a horrible family is a job requirement.  I'm going to die a little inside when we find out that Carisi had a funny uncle who liked playing with matches.

Good point. I was wondering about that too tbh.

And is there a reason why the EMT couldn't be a witness on the case? As he was on the scene and he heard what the woman said, it wouldn't be hearsay, right? The non-SVU detectives made a big deal about him hearing what the fiance told Amaro. And then when the case went to trial, no one bothered to even mention him. He would make a credible witness supporting what Amaro heard since he didn't have any familial connections and would have nothing to gain or lose.

Yeah, I was surprised no one brought up the EMT, especially after the detectives at the beginning specifically said that guy was a "stickler". I know they said they wanted Amaro in particular because he could prove a pattern of abuse, but that doesn't really explain why the EMT couldn't testify.

Olivia telling Barba about Nick's father abusing him was a really asinine thing to do. If Nick wanted to bring it up to Barba to use as evidence, that's his prerogative, it's not Olivia's role to force his hand. And even though she said "wow", I was fully on Nick's side when he asked her if she's forgiven her father or Lewis after she sanctimoniously told him to forgive his father. I don't know when exactly they turned Olivia into an unlikable hypocrite, and I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with it if the writers didn't set it up like we're supposed to agree with her.

I also fully recognize this is shallow, but Danny Pino is one handsome, handsome man. If it wasn't for the fact that I like Finn so much, I would want Amaro and Carisi to be partners just so I could stare at their beautiful faces for an hour.

• Love 2

I also fully recognize this is shallow, but Danny Pino is one handsome, handsome man. If it wasn't for the fact that I like Finn so much, I would want Amaro and Carisi to be partners just so I could stare at their beautiful faces for an hour.

I agree with you on this. I loved Danny Pino since his Cold Case days. And Carisi is just so freaking sexy. His eyes and lips are amazing.

• Love 1

Regarding Tucker, he had two scenes in this episode that weren't particularly necessary to the plot that showed him being a decent, somewhat likable person. That fact that this is markedly different than from how he's usually portrayed has me thinking that they're planning on killing him later in the season. You want the audience to feel bad when it happens, after all.

• Love 3

Tucker is such an annoying characte . It seems like every character outside of the squad is a villian that is trying to bring them down. Just like the guy(I totally forgot his name) who comes in 5 seconds after svu gets a case and bitches about how they aren't doing anything.

I miss the days if when SVU actually spends an episode trying to solve a case, not a personal problem.

Rollins is just like Olivia. They spend way too much time on her personal problems that I am starting to hate watching the episodes that she is in.

• Love 1

It'll be a funny uncle who's also in the mafia because this show loves stereotypes, which were once again on fully display in this episode. 

Can we please have a show with just Fin, Carisi, and Barba? Pretty please!

Add in Munch and I'd watch too.

A show where the mostly female victims of sexual assault are saved solely by the mighty men of the Manhattan Special Victims Unit without a woman in sight? I'll pass.  

The Tucker/Benson thing was so out of left field that it made me laugh. But I think I could be down with it if they ever go there, because at this point, why not. 

Edited by Everleigh
  • Love 1

It'll be a funny uncle who's also in the mafia because this show loves stereotypes, which were once again on fully display in this episode. 

A show where the mostly female victims of assault are saved solely by the mighty men of the Manhattan Special Victims Unit without a woman in sight? I'll pass.  

Because men are the devil, clearly.

Because men are the devil, clearly.

That's not what I said at all. You honestly wouldn't see a problem with a show, especially a show with material like SVU's, having an all male cast? That'd be utterly ridiculous. And it would never work because most of SVU's viewers are female and viewers tend to like to see themselves represented on screen. It's why Olivia is so popular, outside of this board of course. 

• Love 1

I'm all for equality and I get the issue with having an all male cast but...it sure as hell didn't hurt the Mothership in its first three seasons. The only semi regular female then was Dr. Liz Olivet, and Carolyn McCormack was only a recurring character. Main female characters started in Season 4 when S. Epatha Merkerson took Dann Florek's place and Jill Hennessy replaced Richard Brooks.

Am I saying I want to see it on SVU? Not necessarily. And as popular as Olivia is elsewhere, to me, the fact is, the show is 16 seasons in. I don't think there is a hell of a lot left to tell with her character, hence the show bringing on a kid. But YMMV. Still, (if the ratings don't continue to be squashed by Empire and NBC is of a mind to let this sucker linger on) I think the show could live without Liv (sorry for the pun).

Elliott left, and it still stands.

• Love 3

Add in Munch and I'd watch too.

Munch and Carisi would make a great team. I would love to see how Carisi would act when Munch tells him all the conspiracy theories that he believes in.

Edited by Suzy123
  • Love 2

I don't like Liv's character anymore. Her story has been told to death and it is getting really tiresome. I especially hate how they made Olivia into this angry being. Yes, bad things have happened to her, but the way that she is still mad at Rollins is annoying. Being Captain has changed the character too much. I feel like I am watching SVU is because I have been since the beginning and it is hard to let it go. Bringing in fresh characters is fine to me because Olivia is getting overdone. 

I wouldn't mind if her character was gone. If the writers would lay off of the personal stories and "ripped from the headlines" crap more often, I would think the ratings would improve. 

Also, reading the Facebook comments infuriate me. Every other comment is "Bring Back Stabler!!!!" Elliot wouldn't even save this show. They would just make him and Amaro clash heads the entire time.

I feel like everyone on this board can write a better episode than the actual writers of this show...lol!

Edited by Suzy123
  • Love 1

I'm all for equality and I get the issue with having an all male cast but...it sure as hell didn't hurt the Mothership in its first three seasons. The only semi regular female then was Dr. Liz Olivet, and Carolyn McCormack was only a recurring character. Main female characters started in Season 4 when S. Epatha Merkerson took Dann Florek's place and Jill Hennessy replaced Richard Brooks.

Am I saying I want to see it on SVU? Not necessarily. And as popular as Olivia is elsewhere, to me, the fact is, the show is 16 seasons in. I don't think there is a hell of a lot left to tell with her character, hence the show bringing on a kid. But YMMV. Still, (if the ratings don't continue to be squashed by Empire and NBC is of a mind to let this sucker linger on) I think the show could live without Liv (sorry for the pun).

Elliott left, and it still stands.

The mothership premiered almost 25 years ago, it's a different time. That shit wouldn't fly now. 

And I agree that the show has seemingly run out of ideas concerning Olivia and I can understand why some have grown tired of her character after 16 years, but I don't think the show could survive without her at this point. She's the face of show, she's who people think of when they think of SVU. And while the mothership regularly went through cast members without a problem, SVU is different. There's a greater focus on the characters and cases are often seen through their eyes so the audience needs to feel connected to them.

The show survived without Elliot because Olivia was still around and it probably would have survived without Olivia if Elliot was still around, but with neither of them? I don't see it happening. The others are supporting characters and despite the praise they get here, the masses aren't tuning in to see Carisi and Fin solve crime while Barba cracks wise in the courtroom. And most of my friends and family members still don't know Amaro and Rollins by name yet, they're still mostly referred to as "the new guy who replaced Elliot" and "the blonde chick."  

But, if we were to have a show consisting solely of supporting players, can we at least throw Warner into the mix? Give it a little gender diversity. 

• Love 2
The mothership premiered almost 25 years ago, it's a different time. That shit wouldn't fly now.

Yes, the Mothership did premiere almost a quarter of a century ago (damn!), but that was still in 1990. Women attorneys and judges and whatnot were still represented in that time frame. I could see the point if it started in the '60s or '70s, but the '80s/'90s, when women were heavily making a dent, well...I won't say if it was wrong or right for the show to have an all male cast. But if it flew in the '90s, I still think it could fly. I think a watchable show depends as much on the stories and good writing as it does the characters, and the first three years of the Mothership was some damned fine TV. If that means I must have my feminist card taken from me, so be it. But if peripheral characters on a show with all men, like the lab techs or judges or opposing counsel were played by woman occasionally, I think no one would really notice a big difference.

To address the "Olivia needs a break!" angle, I also do agree that the spinoffs (at least, SVU and CI) were much more character driven, but like the Mothership, both have and did go through casting changes and survived. Hell, CI lost its "face" when Goren/Eames left in S9 and Jeff Goldblum took over. One could argue it was a failure since both D'Onofrio and Erbe returned in S10, but the point is, it was tried, and the show still managed a season without them. Whether that season was watchable is strictly a matter of opinion, of course, but it happened. And Goren was - like Olivia on SVU - considered CI's de facto star detective.

So if one spinoff lost both leads, I think SVU could attempt it. Who knows? If the show manages to last to 20 as the Mothership did and the change is a dud? Ask Hargitay to come back. But at this point, I think Olivia is tapped out. Maybe some new blood can give the show a jolt.

But that is my opinion only, and I don't see such a change happening, anyway.