Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I have a long weekend, so I watched a couple of movies I had on DVR, plus there are two first-runs I wanted to watch. My results so far:

1. "Unleashing Mr. Darcy"--HATED it. I could barely make it through to the end. Of course, I could have been prejudiced (heh) because I didn't even bother to finish the book, but I guess I hoped somewhere along the line they'd salvage something in the film version. No such luck.
  2. "Valentine Ever After"--I liked it! The guy was kind of a block of wood, the best friend annoyed me, and the fiance was a real ass, but it had Autumn Reeser, who always seems to make everything better. It was a perfect movie for a frigid Saturday night snuggled under a blanket on the couch. Although I did happen to notice on IMDB (which has an extremely sketchy description that doesn't even list everyone) that one of the writers was listed as Alana Smithee. I know that Alan Smithee is the pseudonym writers use when they're unhappy with the direction of a project and don't want their names associated with it, so I wonder what the story is behind that. 
  3. "Anything for Love"--This won't be on until tonight, but even if I don't end up liking the movie it has Antonio Cupo (who I hope doesn't play a jilted something-or-other) and Paul Greene, so that makes it a win in my book. If worse comes to worst, I can fast-forward through it and just watch the parts with them.
  4. And then my biggest find: "Love on the Air"--I've seen this talked about much on here, and I finally watched it. I LOVED it! I knew right away that the annoying co-worker Jonathan Scarfe talked about at the black moment wasn't Alison Sweeney, that it was the lifestyle girl, but that was really the only thing that stood out to me as a flaw. I just loved the two of them together; they had so much chemistry AND depth--a rarity for a Hallmark movie, much as I enjoy them. And when my husband came up to talk to me during the last half hour of the movie I shooed him away--even though I could have stopped the DVR to talk to him--because I couldn't wait to get to the end where they got together. I think this is right up there with "Love at the Thanksgiving Day Parade" as an all-time favorite.

One thing these movies made me realize: I like the movies with the slightly older hero and heroine (which includes "Love in Paradise" with Emanuelle Vaugier and Luke Perry a few weeks ago. I enjoyed that one, too). The female leads are so much less generic, for the most part, than Hallmark's new crop of younger I-can't-tell-them-apart heroines. And so many of the new-crop guys are just bland and not very good actors. I'm sure it's my age (let's just say I'm old), but most of the movies with the twenty-somethings just don't do it for me.

Okay, off to see what else I can find for the rest of the day. It's Valentine's Day, so there are bound to be at least one or two on Hallmark I might want to check out this afternoon. Happy Valentine's Day!

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 2

I liked Valentine Ever After too (except I loathe these generic titles because I am not going to remember anything about the movie based on the title.)  That's an interesting tidbit about the writers because I thought the writing was pretty decent in the movie.  It's not as if she chose to give up her job in Chicago to chase a guy.  We were given hints she wasn't happy from the very beginning.  I think my only annoyance was that it relied on the trope of a woman accepting a proposal even though she knows it's wrong for her. 

I think the actor who played the friend would have been a bit better in the lead role but the lead wasn't as bad as some lead guys are. 

The scenery was gorgeous to boot.

-This won't be on until tonight, but even if I don't end up liking the movie it has Antonio Cupo (who I hope doesn't play a jilted something-or-other)

*sob* I think he does. As a fellow Love at the Thanksgiving Day Parade lover, it's a bummer.   But it feels like forever since I've seen him so I'll take it.

I just read that Hallmark Movies and Mysteries is adapting a Sandra Brown novel called White Hot. I don't know if I've read her books--I may have read one--but I do know that they are not sexually sanitized.  So I'm wondering how HMM is going to adapt it.  With a title like White Hot, one would hope there's some heat.  I'm not even talking sex but a little oomph.  Will this signal HMM's move to a little more risque?  Or not.

• Love 1

I have a long weekend, so I watched a couple of movies I had on DVR, plus there are two first-runs I wanted to watch. My results so far:

1. "Unleashing Mr. Darcy"--HATED it. I could barely make it through to the end. Of course, I could have been prejudiced because I didn't even bother to finish the book, but I guess I hoped somewhere along the line they'd salvage something in the film version. No such luck.
  2. "Valentine Ever After"--I liked it! The guy was kind of a block of wood, the best friend annoyed me, and the fiance was a real ass, but it had Autumn Reeser, who always seems to make everything better. It was a perfect movie for a frigid Saturday night snuggled under a blanket on the couch. Although I did happen to notice on IMDB (which has an extremely sketchy description that doesn't even list everyone) that one of the writers was listed as Alana Smithee. I know that Alan Smithee is the pseudonym writers use when they're unhappy with the direction of a project and don't want their names associated with it, so I wonder what the story is behind that. 
  3. "Anything for Love"--This won't be on until tonight, but even if I don't end up liking the movie it has Antonio Cupo (who I hope doesn't play a jilted something-or-other) and Paul Greene, so that makes it a win in my book. If worse comes to worst, I can fast-forward through it and just watch the parts with them.
  4. And then my biggest find: "Love on the Air"--I've seen this talked about much on here, and I finally watched it. I LOVED it! I knew right away that the annoying co-worker Jonathan Scarfe talked about at the black moment wasn't Alison Sweeney, that it was the lifestyle girl, but that was really the only thing that stood out to me as a flaw. I just loved the two of them together; they had so much chemistry, and when my husband came up to talk to me during the last half hour of the movie I shooed him away--even though I could have stopped the DVR to talk to him--because I couldn't wait to get to the end where they got together. I think this is right up there with "Love at the Thanksgiving Day Parade" as an all-time favorite.

One thing these movies made me realize: I like the movies with the slightly older hero and heroine (which includes "Love in Paradise" with Emanuelle Vaugier and Luke Perry a few weeks ago. I enjoyed that one, too). The female leads are so much less generic, for the most part, than Hallmark's new crop of I-can't-tell-them-apart heroines. And so many of the new-crop guys are just bland and not very good actors. I'm sure it's my age (let's just say I'm old), but most of the movies with the twenty-somethings just don't do it for me.

Okay, off to see what else I can find for the rest of the day. It's Valentine's Day, so there are bound to be at least one or two on Hallmark I might want to check out this afternoon. Happy Valentine's Day!

A few things immediately popped into my mind when reading your post:

1.  I think that the only people who didn't like Unleashing Mr. Darcy (the few of us that exist) are in this thread!  I've read so many comments in a variety of places, indicating that not only was this a popular movie but also one that people want to get on DVD -- sooner rather than later.  I don't know what it is about that movie, but I just didn't care about what was happening.   I didn't think it was funny enough to be considered a romantic comedy, nor serious enough to be a romantic drama.  All of the actors would probably be better in other projects but I just didn't care about any of them in that specific story

2.  Another Love On the Air fan!   I'm glad I'm not the only one who was late to the party on that one.   It took me a long time to finally get around to seeing it (several months after it premiered) and I really wasn't sure I would like it because the promos and synopses didn't do it justice, but it was well worth the wait.  It's so good.  I just watched it a second time a week or two ago.

3.  I like Paul Greene and Antonio Cupo as well, so I'm with you -- even if Anything for Love ends up being a bust, at least it has them in it.  I think Antonio plays someone that Erika Christensen is dating before she inevitably gets together with Paul Greene.

Now, as for Valentine Ever After -- I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it.  I thought it was just kind of...there.  I really like Autumn Reeser in general, so she is always a saving grace in any movie she does... even if I don't like the movie that much.  I thought the scenery was lovely -- lots of snow (and real snow in some cases).  I noticed that the cast of this movie was like a Who's Who of Hallmark movies.  Everyone has been in something else for Hallmark at some point -- even Autumn's character's dad, if I am not mistaken.  Her fiance was in One Starry Christmas and Mistletoe Over Manhattan, to name just a couple.  Her friend, Sidney (or is it Sydney?) was in Charming Christmas and something else that escapes me (was it maybe Christmas With Holly??)  The other ranch dude with the dark hair has been in some things.   Of course, Eric Johnson has been in a couple of other Hallmark movies too.

I didn't think there was much romantic chemistry between the 2 leads in Valentine Ever After, for some reason.  The guy was very wooden, while still being handsome -- I think he was better in Fir Crazy.  (He is, I think, possibly going to be in the upcoming Fifty Shades of Grey sequel.) I wondered if a different actor might have clicked better with Autumn in the movie.

So far, I think my favorite of the new Valentine movies is still All Things Valentine -- but it's not up there among my all-time Hallmark favorites.  Then, after that I'd probably pick Dater's Handbook, and then Appetite for LoveValentine Ever After would probably be at the bottom -- but, really, they were all pleasant and enjoyable in certain ways, so nothing has a huge lead over anything else in my rankings, and nothing else would be way, way below anything else.  They are all pretty close, and it's possible that Valentine Ever After might move up in the ranks over time.

Today, Hallmark seems to just be airing October Kiss again (it was on within the last couple of weeks), and then doing a short marathon of the 4 new Valentine movies, leading up to the premiere of the 5th one tonight. 

I .really don't know what they were doing with the Countdown to Valentine's Day this year.  It was handled in a very strange way.   Not only did Hallmark skip doing an all day/all night event for 2 weeks (or even for one week), unlike last year, but they didn't even do a marathon to the degree of, for example, what they do with Christmas in July -- which usually entails 4 movies each weekday and then a more extended weekend schedule.  This year's Countdown to Valentine's Day had the lightest schedule of any of their movie "marathons" (not counting a weekend-only event like Winterfest and Fall Harvest), and it makes me wonder why they even bothered running one movie each weeknight at 8 p.m. -- when they didn't promote the nightly movies.  All they did was promote the brand new movies on weekends, and they never mentioned "one movie every night."  Not only that, but the weeknight movies were mostly just repeats of things they had already shown on weekends -- when there were actually more movies they could have added in to the mix to fit the "love" theme.  I have no problem with multiple repeats during a 2-month event, because they are necessary for that long of a marathon.   But in a very limited 2-week event that only involves one movie each weeknight, and 6 movies on most weekend days, I don't see why it's necessary to show one specific movie 3 or 4 times when there are other movies they could throw into the mix for variety.  Very odd.

The commercial Hallmark is running -- this is the one that used to have the Best Day of My Life song playing in the background, but now has a different song -- which shows Countdown to Valentine's Day, Spring Fling, June Weddings and Countdown to Christmas, is still missing the Fall Harvest title, although some of last year's Fall Harvest movies are shown in clips during the montage.    I am still assuming that it is just an editing/timing issue, and maybe they thought the ad would be too cluttered to leave in Fall Harvest too.  But now that the Countdown to Valentine's Day is ending, I will be interested to see if Fall Harvest returns to the montage when Spring Fling starts up in April.  If not, then I have to imagine that Hallmark is either skipping Fall Harvest this year (which seems unlikely), or they have some other plan for it.

Edited by Sherry67

I liked Valentine Ever After too (except I loathe these generic titles because I am not going to remember anything about the movie based on the title.)  That's an interesting tidbit about the writers because I thought the writing was pretty decent in the movie.  It's not as if she chose to give up her job in Chicago to chase a guy.  We were given hints she wasn't happy from the very beginning.  I think my only annoyance was that it relied on the trope of a woman accepting a proposal even though she knows it's wrong for her. 

I think the actor who played the friend would have been a bit better in the lead role but the lead wasn't as bad as some lead guys are. 

*sob* I think he does. As a fellow Love at the Thanksgiving Day Parade lover, it's a bummer.   But it feels like forever since I've seen him so I'll take it.

I just read that Hallmark Movies and Mysteries is adapting a Sandra Brown novel called White Hot. I don't know if I've read her books--I may have read one--but I do know that they are not sexually sanitized.  So I'm wondering how HMM is going to adapt it.  With a title like White Hot, one would hope there's some heat.  I'm not even talking sex but a little oomph.  Will this signal HMM's move to a little more risque?  Or not.

My guess is that it will be toned down, to suit a lot of the ultra-conservative viewers of the channel who will complain.   Is White Hot is the one with John Schneider, the girl from Christmas Incorporated (Shenae Grimes-Beech) and the guy from Christmas With Holly (Sean Faris)? 

• Love 1

I wondered if a different actor might have clicked better with Autumn in the movie.

Like Antonio Cupo! I'm still mad at Hallmark for what they did to him in that second movie with Autumn. They are squandering their chemistry by not matching them up again. They can match him with Lisa Whelchel, who's practically old enough to be his mother (although I kinda liked that the older woman got a younger guy), but not Autumn? Pooh on you, Hallmark.

• Love 2

and

Sorry to double-post, but I don't know how to attribute quotes from two people in the same post. Heck, I just figured out how to attribute a single quote today.

On topic, you are my peeps. No one else in the real world knows who Antonio or Paul are. Here, I don't have to explain myself and do Google image searches to show who they are. 

And Irlandesa, you must have picked up on my thoughts about the lead's friend! I kept thinking through the entire movie how handsome and likable he was, and wishing we could see him in the lead instead of Mr. Block O'Wood. And since it appears they've updated IMDB sometime today, his name is Jefferson Brown.

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 1

I liked it it, but yes, that title is just terrible.  I went to look it up this morning on the IMDB and had no clue what it was called.  But I did catch "Alana Smithee" last night and I'm so curious what happened there.  I was certainly expecting much worse writing than we got, that's for sure.  What's weird is, the on screen credits went to Story by Dylan Neal and Alana Smithee with written by Alana Smithee, but the IMDB has Teena Booth and Alana Smithee.  Teena Booth has a ton of writing credits to her name, including a bunch of Hallmark (like the much maligned "Unleashing Mr. Darcy").  So since the on screen credit would be more up-to-date than the IMDB, I'm wondering if changes were made that Booth didn't want and ultimately had her name removed.  So. Curious. 

Overall, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.  I liked pretty much everybody.  It held my attention more than some which unfortunately meant I got to nitpick it a little more than those that I just kind of read the kindle through, but nothing major.  The beautiful location certainly helped (it usually does).  Autumn Reeser is extremely likeable, it's no wonder she keeps popping up.

• Love 2

My guess is that it will be toned down, to suit a lot of the ultra-conservative viewers of the channel who will complain.   Is White Hot is the one with John Schneider, the girl from Christmas Incorporated (Shenae Grimes-Beech) and the guy from Christmas With Holly (Sean Faris)? 

That's it.  Well if they sanitize it too muh, fans of Sandra Brown will complain.

Like Antonio Cupo! I'm still mad at Hallmark for what they did to him in that second movie with Autumn.

You are my twin.

Sorry to double-post, but I don't know how to attribute quotes from two people in the same post.

If you're on a computer, each time you hit the quote button, it adds the post you want to quote to its "memory" and both-or all-quotes will appear once you hit reply.  If you're on mobile, I don't think it works like that.  Or at least I haven't figured it out on mobile.

And Irlandesa, you must have picked up on my thoughts about the lead's friend! I kept thinking through the entire movie how handsome and likable he was, and wishing we could see him in the lead instead of Mr. Block O'Wood. And since it appears they've updated IMDB sometime today, his name is Jefferson Brown.

Thanks for that. I just noiced he was acting in the background even when the focus wasn't on him. I like when people do that.

What's weird is, the on screen credits went to Story by Dylan Neal and Alana Smithee with written by Alana Smithee, but the IMDB has Teena Booth and Alana Smithee.

Dylan Neal?  Well that's bizarre.  I know he writes and stars in the Gourmet Detective series (third filming now--yay!) but I think he's primarily an actor.  It'd be a little weird for him to get a 'story by' credit.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1

One of the Hallmark titles that always cracks me up -- and makes me cringe at the same time -- is Cloudy with a Chance of Love.  It's not a slam against the movie.  It's just a hokey title.

Like Antonio Cupo! I'm still mad at Hallmark for what they did to him in that second movie with Autumn. They are squandering their chemistry by not matching them up again. They can match him with Lisa Whelchel, who's practically old enough to be his mother (although I kinda liked that the older woman got a younger guy), but not Autumn? Pooh on you, Hallmark.

I agree!  I think that some people feel that they get tired of seeing the same couples partnered up, even if they have great chemistry, but I'm one who thinks that if the chemistry is there they might as well milk it.  Real, obvious, genuine onscreen chemistry between leads in these Hallmark movies is not that common, so they should roll with it.

Some of the actors are hesitant to ride that wave as well.  Andrew Walker just recently said in an interview that he is good friends with Arielle Kebbel in real life, but now that they have made 2 movies together (rooted in their great onscreen chemistry), he doesn't know if people would want to see them get married in a third movie.  I don't necessarily think they should make a movie together for every single one of Hallmark's themed events -- then we'd be seeing them 5 or 6 times a year and it could be overkill.  But making a movie together once every couple of years shouldn't be a big deal.

Hallmark also matched Antonio with Haylie Duff, and I'm not sure there was a lot of chemistry there either. 

In the movie with Lisa Whelchel (who looks pretty good for being 50+ years old), I always wondered if we, the viewers, were supposed to assume that it was an older woman-younger man relationship being portrayed, or if they wanted us to believe that she and Antonio were in the same approximate age range.  There are certainly plenty of real-life relationships between older women and younger men, so it would not be out of the realm of possibility for that scenario to happen. 

Sorry to double-post, but I don't know how to attribute quotes from two people in the same post. Heck, I just figured out how to attribute a single quote today.

On topic, you are my peeps. No one else in the real world knows who Antonio or Paul are. Here, I don't have to explain myself and do Google image searches to show who they are. 

I know what you mean about people not knowing who some of the Hallmark actors are.  My friends would know Candace Cameron Bure, Lacey Chabert and Alicia Witt.  They would obviously know occasional Hallmark stars like Lisa Whelchel and Nicollette Sheridan (both of whom we will be seeing in new Spring Fling movies in April).  They'd know Kellie Martin and Cameron Mathison.   But beyond that, I'm not sure.  I don't think they'd know Andrew Walker, Paul Greene, Antonio Cupo or Jonathan Scarfe -- but I could be wrong.

Jefferson Brown -- that's the name!  I was trying to remember it, and did not bother going to IMDB to check.   I knew I had seen him in another Hallmark movie, but I could not remember the actor's name.  He was in The Christmas Parade in 2014, and had zero chemistry with AnnaLynne McCord!  He was kind of forgettable in that movie, but was more memorable in Valentine Ever After, for sure.

• Love 1
One of the Hallmark titles that always cracks me up -- and makes me cringe at the same time -- is Cloudy with a Chance of Love.  It's not a slam against the movie.  It's just a hokey title.

But at least I know what that movie is about based on the title.  Unleasing Mr. Darcy, as awful as it was (I saw people on twitter bashing it so we're not alone), has a title that tells me what it's about.  Love On The Air has a title that tells me what it's about.  And while sometimes the stories do get repeated, at the very worst I can narrow it down to two or three movies it could be about.

I agree!  I think that some people feel that they get tired of seeing the same couples partnered up, even if they have great chemistry, but I'm one who thinks that if the chemistry is there they might as well milk it.

It worked for Fred & Ginger, Tom and Meg...etc.  If they're going to put them in the same movie anyway, why not?  In fact, this is the third movie Ali Liebert has been in with Antonio Cupo that I can think of off the top of my head.

I always wondered if we, the viewers, were supposed to assume that it was an older woman-younger man relationship being portrayed, or if they wanted us to believe that she and Antonio were in the same approximate age range.

Same age range I think given the fact that their children got engaged.

He was in The Christmas Parade in 2014, and had zero chemistry with AnnaLynne McCord!

Has she ever had good chem with a co-star in these movies?

• Love 4

But at least I know what that movie is about based on the title.  Unleasing Mr. Darcy, as awful as it was (I saw people on twitter bashing it so we're not alone), has a title that tells me what it's about.  Love On The Air has a title that tells me what it's about.  And while sometimes the stories do get repeated, at the very worst I can narrow it down to two or three movies it could be about.

It worked for Fred & Ginger, Tom and Meg...etc.  If they're going to put them in the same movie anyway, why not?  In fact, this is the third movie Ali Liebert has been in with Antonio Cupo that I can think of off the top of my head.

Same age range I think given the fact that their children got engaged.

Has she ever had good chem with a co-star in these movies?

Oh, I get what you mean now!  Even the hokey titles might have a keyword or clue, to give you an idea of what the story might be about.  But the generic titles like Valentine Ever After, Anything for Love, All of My Heart, Chance at Romance, etc., reveal nothing.  Very true!  A title like Best Christmas Party Ever is hokey, but it at least gives us an idea of what it's about.

The upcoming Lisa Whelchel movie for the Spring Fling event in April was called Mommy Bloggers at first.  That's a title that would give us an idea what it's about.  From a couple of hashtags I've seen in some of Lisa's recent tweets, it appears that the movie might have been renamed Hearts of Spring -- which is much more generic.  Nicollette Sheridan's movie was supposed to be called The Manny -- which is very revealing in terms of what it might be about.  I wonder what it will end up being called, because it's unlikely it will remain The Manny.

I've only seen AnnaLynne McCord in a couple of things -- one of them being the Hallmark movie and I think another one was a Lifetime movie. I didn't watch her on 90210.  She is a beautiful woman, of course, but she doesn't come across as very approachable or warm.  I just did not pick up on any chemistry in The Christmas Parade at all.  I got the feeling that she was probably a thorn in Jefferson Brown's side on the set.  Maybe he will get another chance to be a lead in a Hallmark movie, with a different leading lady.

Edited by Sherry67

Dylan Neal?  Well that's bizarre.  I know he writes and stars in the Gourmet Detective series (third filming now--yay!) but I think he's primarily an actor.  It'd be a little weird for him to get a 'story by' credit.

Maybe he's trying to branch out from the Gourmet Detective series and since he has history with Hallmark, they took a chance on a new project by him.  The IMDB has him listed as an Executive Producer but I didn't catch the on screen credits.

The original title of Valentine Ever After was Disorderly Conduct(sounds a little too kinky for the movie). But yeah VEA was a terrible title and Hallmark often gives their movies terrible title lately. Mommy Bloggers is another terrible title.

But anyway back to the movie. Beautiful scenery but boring storyline and I kept zoning out. Plus I felt no romantic chemistry between the leads.

The original title of Valentine Ever After was Disorderly Conduct(sounds a little too kinky for the movie). But yeah VEA was a terrible title and Hallmark often gives their movies terrible title lately. Mommy Bloggers is another terrible title.

Disorderly Conduct is a title I'd be able to associate with this movie. Mommy Bloggers might not be the greatest, but whenever that movie is discussed, I'd know what it is.  Instead, I feel like I have Google 80% of the movies discussed to see if I've seen them or not.  It sucks. I'm lazy. *sigh*

So on to tonight's movie, whose title I had to look up because it was rather non-descript.  Erika Christensen leaves me cold.  I think it's because she reminds me of Julia Stiles who only really worked for me in romantic stories when she was a teenager.  So I wasn't really feeling the chemistry.  It got to the point where I looked at Ali Liebert, who was playing the assistant, and wished she were the lead.  Despite all that, I was kind of enjoying the beginning of the movie.

Then I took a break.  And I don't know if I was all riled up because of watching Last Week Tonight but the second half wasn't as enjoyable for me.  In fact, by the time they had their big hospital confrontation, I was thinking to myself "I fucking hate you people."  In truth, I didn't hate him. I thought hew as a total jerk when he was self-righteous with his friend over the lie but I like Paul Greene and it's not like he intended to lie in the beginning so I got over his pique. 

But her?  Her reaction was borderline sociopathic.  She knew of her lie from the beginning. She has her assistant "play" her.  And then she acts like what he did is the worst thing in the world.  At least he told her his real name.  I know Charles is the villain but goodness, I thought she may have deserved him at the end.   Hell, even he might be too good for her.  At least he's smart enough to hire a P.I. If she's so paranoid about men wanting her for her money, maybe it's something she should have done.

I suspect this movie will please a lot of Hallmark viewers because it felt kind of well done.  It had some great lines, like the AT&T bill stuff.  But this was a case where the ridiculousness of the lead characters just made me mad. 

• Love 1

I think I liked it more than you did, Irlandesa, but it's not at the "Love at the Thanksgiving Day Parade" or now "Love on the Air" level. Not even close.

I'd never seen Erika Christensen before this, but I was okay with her. She came across as awkward, but in a way that fit the character IMO. I agree there wasn't much chemistry between her and Paul Greene, though. I did like Ali Liebert's character, and laughed out loud at her reaction to Jack's annoying friend. I don't know, maybe because I went into this not expecting much, I was able to handwave away the plot weaknesses. Which were admittedly legion.

And the reason I watched this in the first place, Antonio Cupo--well, while I'm always happy to see Antonio, just...no. He doesn't play a villain well. He also came across as stilted and awkward to me, and I'm not sure if it was a character choice or the script. However, he looked hot, so there was that.

Oh, and one more thing, and this is just a personal peeve: Why do fathers in movies always call their daughters "Kitten?" I know her name was Katherine, but I swear, every friggin' movie I've ever seen where a father has a nickname for a daughter, it seems to be "Kitten." I'm one of four sisters, and my dad had nicknames for us, but "Kitten" wasn't one of them. And over the years, I've had many, many female friends, and not one of their fathers ever called them "Kitten." It's like, really? You couldn't have come up with a different nickname? Cat, or Kit, or Kathy, or Katie, or Sweetie, or Short Stuff, or Slugger, or Pooh Bear...the possibilities are endless, but writers always use "Kitten." Just Say No to Kitten!

Edited by kirinan

I just finally had a chance to watch Anything for Love.  The conflict was silly -- because Katherine (Erika C.) reacted so badly, and because the whole premise of lying about being a doctor/lying about being an Exec. Asst. was dumb to begin with.   I think that lying on an Internet dating site is a good idea in a movie, and a relevant one, but lying about those specific jobs was dumb.

Also, I felt that they fell in love a bit too fast - not enough bonding time -- but that is to be expected in most of these movies.

I can see what Irlandesa means about Erika C. reminding her of Julia Stiles -- I have thought the same thing in the past.  It's not that they look alike, but there is a similar demeanor.  (Did anyone ever see Erika playing a drug addict in the movie Traffic?  She was pretty good.)

This movie felt as though it had a slightly higher production value or something... somehow it felt a little more pulled together and polished than some we see.

I actually like Antonio Cupo as a villain or snob -- I thought he was funny as the ridiculous doctor in I Do, I Do, I Do -- but I'd rather seem him partnered up with Autumn Reeser as her love interest in a movie.

I think that Paul Greene was the real standout in this movie.  I like him more with each Hallmark movie he does.  Since we know Hallmark will use him again (probably before the end of this year), I will be curious to see who his next leading lady is.

In any case, all in all I liked Anything for Love well enough.  It's not up there with my all-time favorites from the Hallmark catalog, but I wouldn't scream in horror if I happened to turn on the TV and see that it was on.  I just don't know if I would go out of my way to watch it multiple times.  Usually, when a movie jumps out at me right away as being something I really like, I tend to want to see it again soon after (or get the DVD).  That happened with All of My Heart in 2015, and with Love On the Air.  It's happened with certain Christmas movies.  But there are a lot of Hallmark movies that I like, that are not in the "must see again soon" category.  They're just kind of there.  Maybe I will watch them again and like them more over time; maybe I won't.

Edited by Sherry67

What is the strategy behind having new episodes of When Calls the Heart on the same time as the new mystery channel movie (this coming weekend Signed, Sealed, Delivered)*?  Why is When Calls the Heart on Sundays now?  

*Not to mention the final episodes of Downton Abbey.

• Love 1

What is the strategy behind having new episodes of When Calls the Heart on the same time as the new mystery channel movie (this coming weekend Signed, Sealed, Delivered)*?  Why is When Calls the Heart on Sundays now?  

*Not to mention the final episodes of Downton Abbey.

I got the feeling that Hallmark wanted to free up Saturdays for more movies throughout the year -- they seem to be increasing the number of movies they put out in a year.  But there was also some sort of statement from them a while back -- and I can't find the quote -- that basically said something along the lines of (I am paraphrasing) that they are bringing back an old tradition of families gathering to watch Sunday night series.

It's a curious choice, indeed.

As to why they'd essentially have their 2 channels competing against each other on Sunday -- another odd choice.

Edited by Sherry67

Here is a link to some synopses (with only a few additional details beyond what we already knew) of 3 of the upcoming Spring Fling movies (Mommy Bloggers [renamed to Hearts of Spring]; The Manny [title subject to change]; and By Chance):

http://www.whatsfilming.ca/2016/02/09/manny-chance-mommy-bloggers-hallmarks-spring-fling/

There is no clue or indication as to what the 4th Spring Fling movie will be.

Edited by Sherry67

It got to the point where I looked at Ali Liebert, who was playing the assistant, and wished she were the lead.

Poor Ali, always the bridesmaid, never the bride. (and I mean that literally, in the case of I Do, I Do, I Do, where she was Autumn Reeser's sister).

I think this is the third, maybe fourth movie where she's the sidekick (A Ring by Spring)

Poor Ali, always the bridesmaid, never the bride. (and I mean that literally, in the case of I Do, I Do, I Do, where she was Autumn Reeser's sister).

I think this is the third, maybe fourth movie where she's the sidekick (A Ring by Spring)

She starred in an ION Christmas movie but yes, always the bridesmaid on Hallmark.

This is the first weekend since September 2015 that I haven't had to decide whether to record or watch (live) a new movie on the Hallmark Channel, on either Saturday or Sunday.   My DVR might die of shock or from lack of use or something.

Of course, there will be new programming (albeit, not a new movie) this weekend, in the form of When Calls the Heart, Season 3, tomorrow night.  But I don't watch that.  And there is a Signed, Sealed & Delivered movie on HMM tomorrow too -- but I generally don't follow that movie series either.

It is looking as though the next new movie -- a movie not connected to a series of some sort -- isn't going to be until the Spring Fling movie event begins. 

At first, Hallmark was saying (back when they had that press event and all of the press releases came out right after) that there were going to be 4 new Spring Fling movies debuting on weekends in April.  Now they seem to be implying/hinting -- on their press site -- that there will be only 3 new Spring Fling movie premieres, the first of which appears to be the Lisa Whelchel movie Hearts of Spring (formerly called Mommy Bloggers), on Easter weekend, Saturday, March 26th.   (Part 2 of The Bridge also airs on the regular Hallmark Channel on Easter, March 27th, after premiering on HMM the prior weekend, Sunday, March 20th.)

So one Spring Fling movie must have gotten bumped off of the schedule, and Hallmark decided to start Spring Fling a bit earlier than originally planned.

Edited by Sherry67

I'm looking forward to the Signed, Sealed & Delivered movie tonight.  There were some movies I didn't love in the series (like the Christmas movies) but the last couple have been quite good.

It's the only thing I really want to watch so that would lead me to believe I could watch it live but...ugh.  Commercials. 

• Love 1

I'm looking forward to the Signed, Sealed & Delivered movie tonight.  There were some movies I didn't love in the series (like the Christmas movies) but the last couple have been quite good.

It's the only thing I really want to watch so that would lead me to believe I could watch it live but...ugh.  Commercials. 

We have a Signed, Sealed, Delivered thread! Not much traffic since this stopped being a series and they just went to movie specials, but we're there!

• Love 1

I didn't mind Anything For Love. The leads had a nice chemistry and the movie went by quickly. They kissed twice and went on three dates (including a night away) so it was more believable they fell in love than other movies. I may watch it again if I'm bored.

I also watched Dater's Handbook again and liked it a whole lot more when I ffed the annoying sister and her boring dates with George. I felt like there was a scene missing with Cassie telling off her sister on how the author is now divorced, and I'm sure she didn't find her husband with a stupid checklist.

As an aside, I caught clips of the upcoming Chesapeake shores and wow do Jesse and Meghan Ory look amazing in in. I could see their chemistry just from those quick clips. Pretty excited for it, if not for just staring at Jesse.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1

I forgot to mention this in my last post, but... has anyone noticed that Hallmark seems to have just recently discovered or acquired the 1970s Soft Rock Songbook?

In Candace Cameron Bure's movie from last year, Just the Way You Are (which originally had a different title), the title hit song by Billy Joel is sung and played.

Todd Rundgren's "Hello, It's Me" is featured in Kellie Martin's movie of the same name (also from 2015).

Then we come to 2016's  Anything for Love, which opens with Linda Ronstadt's "When Will I Be Loved."

It seems to me there was another one in the recent past that I am forgetting.  I don't recall hearing as many 1970s songs in Hallmark movies prior to the last 12 months, but maybe I am blanking out on something.  I guess they can't afford to pay whatever it would take to play more current songs -- either that, or they assume that the main demographic watching the 2 Hallmark channels will be comprised of people very familiar with '70s music.

Edited by Sherry67

It seems to me there was another one in the recent past that I am forgetting.  I don't recall hearing as many 1970s songs in Hallmark movies prior to the last 12 months, but maybe I am blanking out on something.  I guess they can't afford to pay whatever it would take to play more current songs -- either that, or they assume that the main demographic watching the 2 Hallmark channels will be comprised of people very familiar with '70s music.

In Dater's Handbook, they play REO Speedwagon's "can't fight this feeling" a thousand times. I guess that is 80s, but still. I liked the movie pretty well, but I don't think I would watch it again because of all the time spent with Mr. Wrong. I thought they did a nice job of making him wrong for the heroine but not a terrible person. I liked Meghan Markle. I'd never seen any of her movies before.

I also enjoyed Appetite for Love. I like Andrew Walker, but it's another one I probably won't watch again and again. I agreed that the corporate plan to serve gross food instead of good food was a poor one. However, I thought it was deeply unfair that everyone was so critical of the heroine for doing her job. Maybe if the late Mr. Hart didn't want his restaurant changed, he shouldn't have SOLD the rights to restaurant to a corporation and signed a contract giving them the right to do so!

I liked the movie with Autumn Reeser too. Cosign about the stupid titles that are all interchangeable. This one was probably my favorite of the Valentine films. I am in the middle of Anything for Love, and it seems fine. I like the male lead, and I think Erika C. seems well cast in it.

Oh! And I also watched Unleashing Mr. Darcy. I had read some negative reviews here, so my expectations were low. It seemed all right. In the original P&P, I always feel like Mr. Darcy is the most at fault, but in the film, Darcy seemed perfectly nice if stiff, and Elizabeth seemed rude. Not really clear why he took a liking to her.

• Love 2

Myrrhine -- Thank you!  Yes, I totally forgot REO Speedwagon!  They were huge in the early '80s, so that's close enough to the '70s!  Lol.   REO Speedwagon was rather prominent (while not being seen) in Dater's Handbook, and I remember thinking that they were an odd choice for a band that the leads were such big fans of. 

Most people like or love Unleashing Mr. Darcy -- I think the ones who didn't are outnumbered.  I can't even really figure out why I didn't like it, but it bugged me and I seem to have no desire to see it again.

I think that the collective group of Valentine movies was slightly better and stronger than the group of Winterfest movies that preceded it, but it seems that there are always some that I don't like enough to want to see again, and some that I would watch again -- in any of the themed movie events. 

• Love 1

My new game plan.  On Sundays I'm going to DVR When Calls the Heart (or whatever Hallmark series is playing) and watch Downton Abbey or what ever Masterpiece is new that night.  Then I will DVR the HMM movie of the week during the week since my DVR only allows me to watch/DVR two things at once.  I will watch When Calls the Heart the following Saturday when nothing else is on.  I'll have to watch the HMM sometime during the week when nothing else is on.  If the PBS Masterpiece is something that doesn't interest me then I'll watch the HMM movie on Sunday night.  Please don't ask me what I'm going to do when a new Hallmark movie is on on Saturdays.  I might have a panic attack thinking about it.

• Love 2
Last episode of Downton Abbey ever next Sunday- wonder what the next Masterpiece is. Mercy Street looks too dramatic for me- I need brainless light tv (hence why Hallmark movies are on my DVR).

Here it is.  

I'm not a marketing expert, but I am someone who is a regular Hallmark/HMM viewer and I know what I prefer.  (1) I like being able to keep track of the movies by their names.  I am getting tired of everything being generic so that I can't remember which movie goes with which title. (2) I was a fan of Cedar Cove and was being bombarded with ads saying that it was the highest rated show on Saturday nights.  Why was it cancelled?  Why were we left with a cliffhanger?  Will there be any resolution? (3) I wish that the series would remain on Saturday nights.  This new scheduling, with conflicts between Hallmark and HMM (I'm not even addressing PBS shows) is ridiculous.

It looks like there will be a mini-Melrose Place reunion when Josie Bissett and Jack Wagner team up for what is almost certainly going to be one of the new movies for the "June Weddings" event   Right now the movie is called The Wedding March.  That's not a bad name if Hallmark wants to make sure it is easily identified as one of the June Weddings movies, and it seems to be a generic enough title to where they wouldn't need to change it (though it will be frustrating for us if the other new June Weddings movies have equally generic titles).  I read about it here -- http://itsawonderfulmovie.blogspot.com/2016/02/jack-wagner-josie-bissett-hallmark-movie.html.

Edited by Sherry67

Last episode of Downton Abbey ever next Sunday- wonder what the next Masterpiece is. Mercy Street looks too dramatic for me- I need brainless light tv (hence why Hallmark movies are on my DVR).

Sunday the 28th is not the last Downton Abbey. There is a special on (probably because of the Academy Awards). The last episode is March 6th.

• Love 1

Sunday the 28th is not the last Downton Abbey. There is a special on (probably because of the Academy Awards). The last episode is March 6th.

Duh sorry I knew that- yeah it is because of the Oscars. Wishful thinking on my part!

(edited)

I have no idea what Hallmark is doing and why they change their plans so much (even after they have advertised, published, announced or promoted certain titles, schedules, etc.), but now they are back to saying that the first Spring Fling movie will air on Sunday, April 2nd.  The original plan -- when Spring Fling was first announced -- was to debut 4 new movies on 4 Saturdays in April.  Then they reduced it down to 3 new movies, beginning on Saturday, March 26th.  And now they are back to April again -- but only 3 movies (don't know what happened to the 4th new movie) -- http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/spring-fling.

Interestingly, the movie with Nicollette Sheridan -- The Manny -- still has its title.  The title has not changed, which is shocking.  But Mommy Bloggers changed to Hearts of Spring, as we know, and By Chance changed to Love by Chance.

Here is the Spring Fling schedule -- though it may change again:  http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/spring-fling/movie-schedule

Hearts of Spring was originally supposed to be the first new movie, but it appears that The Manny is going to be first (April 2nd).

Oh, by the way, Lacey Chabert is pregnant with her first child, and she's due later this year.  I wonder if this will finally put a crimp in her Hallmark movie-making schedule.  This may be the first year in a while where we don't get a new Lacey Chabert movie!

Edited by Sherry67

Hearts of Spring is almost EXACTLY like the All Things Valentine movie about two people sparring online but dating in real life. Except there are kids involved. After enjoying On the Twelfh Day Of Christmas on the third viewing, I'm sad to see that not many of the upcoming movies look even remotely appealing. Back to the DVR for the Hallmark fix, I guess!

• Love 2

Hearts of Spring is almost EXACTLY like the All Things Valentine movie about two people sparring online but dating in real life. Except there are kids involved. After enjoying On the Twelfh Day Of Christmas on the third viewing, I'm sad to see that not many of the upcoming movies look even remotely appealing. Back to the DVR for the Hallmark fix, I guess!

You're right -- same thing about the blogging and anonymous sparring.  That's the new profession in these Hallmark movies -- bloggers.  Well, bloggers and DJs.   I have a feeling that I will end up liking Hearts of Spring much less than I liked All Things Valentine, but I'll give it a chance.

I loved On the Twelfth Day of Christmas!  I liked it more each time I watched it  It was kind if a sleeper that quietly crept up out of the pile of new Christmas movies in 2015, but it was/is very good.  In fact, I was so annoyed when I recently discovered that the (almost) commercial-free version of it that I recorded on Christmas Day had somehow been inadvertently deleted from the DVR.   I didn't delete it, so I guess it got wiped out when space was running low.  I can record it again when it pops up in either July or next holiday season, but it won't be the almost commercial-free version that takes up less space.

Wow, Michael Shanks! I loved him in Stargate SG-1, so I'll have to watch that one. Love By Chance doesn't do much for me, and I really don't care for Nicollette Sheridan, so I don't know if I can sit through that one. 

But Michael Shanks, I'm there for.

Hee hee.  I wondered what was taking so long for Hallmark to change the title of The Manny (Nicollette Sheridan's Spring Fling movie).  For a second it almost seemed like they might leave it as is.  They changed By Chance to Love by Chance, and they changed Mommy Bloggers to Hearts of Spring, so it seemed unlikely that The Manny would stay as is.

And it didn't stay as is.  Now it has a terribly generic name that doesn't say anything about the plot of the movie, nor does it shout "Spring Fling."  The Manny is now being called... drumroll, please...

"All Yours"

It appears that Hallmark's push to air new movies every weekend from September to February helped to increase its viewership during that time frame from what it was the previous year -- http://adage.com/article/special-report-tv-upfront/tv-network-upfront-important/302988/.  

Unless I missed something, it doesn't look as though the Hallmark original series are mentioned in this article. but that 5-month time frame is when the back to back Fall Harvest/Countdown to Christmas/Winterfest/Countdown to Valentine's Day onslaught of movies took place.  Actually, I think that Love On the Air (a gem of a movie) started that whole barrage in September, or maybe Lead with Your Heart came first -- I can't remember, but they both premiered in September.

They are having another upfront event on March 30th (you will probably remember that the last upfront event [for TCA] was in December, and that produced a bunch of press releases and bits of info about what was coming up).  I am curious to see what comes out of the March 30th upfront.  There should also be another upfront sometime in the summer.

Edited by Sherry67
And it didn't stay as is.  Now it has a terribly generic name that doesn't say anything about the plot of the movie, nor does it shout "Spring Fling."  The Manny is now being called... drumroll, please...

"All Yours"

I used to get somewhat regular surveys from the Hallmark Channel with a movie synopsis and then a list of titles.  They would ask me to choose which title I liked best.  I just realized that I haven't gotten one of those emails in a long time.  I guess that Hallmark now has a dartboard filled with generic names and that's what they use to choose the titles.

• Love 3

I used to get somewhat regular surveys from the Hallmark Channel with a movie synopsis and then a list of titles.  They would ask me to choose which title I liked best.  I just realized that I haven't gotten one of those emails in a long time.  I guess that Hallmark now has a dartboard filled with generic names and that's what they use to choose the titles.

I remember the Hallmark email surveys.  I haven't gotten one in a while either.  I think I got one more of their surveys since this particular one, but the recent one that sticks out in my mind came to me while Fall Harvest was going on.  Did you get that one?  They had only aired 2 of the new Fall Harvest movies at that point, so there were a lot of questions about Autumn Dreams and Harvest Moon.

I get a lot of surveys from the UP network's survey panel, asking about movie titles and plots, and TV series titles and plots. 

Saw Love On the Air again and it was even better the second time around. Unlike most of the Hallmark movies it flew by.

It's definitely a movie that didn't wear out its welcome for me on subsequent viewings, unlike some Hallmark movies.  I still enjoy it whenever I catch it now. 

There are assorted Hallmark movies (quite a lot of them, in fact) that I enjoy somewhat -- they're pleasant -- but I don't need to see them more than one time (something like, say, Just the Way You Are).  Then there are others that kind of creep up on me and end up becoming sort-of-favorites, which I like more and more over time (like On the Twelfth Day of Christmas).  And then there are the ones like Snow Bride or Love On the Air, which I like right away and never get tired of watching when I happen to catch them.

• Love 1

I'm DVR'ing The Bridge and The Bridge Part 2 tonight. I DVR'd The Bridge last year when it first aired and tried watching it but I never really felt invested. It felt like it was more then 2hrs long with that said though something did happen personally at the end of Nov that may have kept me from getting into watching like I normally would have. I was still peeved when they revealed the next one wasn't supposed to air until Christmas 2016. Watching people blow up Hallmark's FB page over that revelation made me happy and cracked me up at the same time. All the people who vented their anger through various platforms got through to them though and the promotions for Part 2 have made me laugh because the lady mentions "by popular demand".....

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 1

I couldn't record Part 2 of The Bridge tonight, but I will catch it on Tuesday. 

To be honest, people blow up Hallmark's assorted Facebook pages all the time, griping about something or another -- the wave of complaints about Cedar Cove being cancelled; the wave of complaints (endless, redundant complaints) about the Countdown to Christmas; the wave of complaints about The Waltons disappearing, etc.   Those complaints don't just happen on social media -- I'm sure that people bombard Hallmark behind the scenes via email too.  And usually nothing changes, no matter how loud the complaints.  TV networks mostly do what they want to do, unless they see a huge ratings plunge to let them know they did the wrong thing.  

It takes more than huffing, puffing, threatening and grumbling on a Facebook page or sending in angry emails to get a network to change its mind.  So I don't think it was just a matter of people spewing venom at Hallmark that got them to show Part 2 earlier than planned.  That may have been part of it, but I suspect it was because Karen Kingsbury herself got involved in the matter, stating that she was not aware that Part 2 would air so much later.  She was on the set for the filming of The Bridge, so she probably had an idea in her mind of when the 2 installments were going to be shown, only to find out otherwise later on, when fans began slamming her with complaints too -- thinking that she was somehow involved in splitting up the 2 movies.  

Hallmark has plans to work with KK again on some of her other stories, I believe, and they want to have a good relationship with her.  Realistically, they probably decided to air Part 2 in March because of her (she probably had a chat with them about it when the complaints started rolling in) -- but it just so happened that all of the people who wanted to see Part 2 sooner rather than later will benefit from the change!

Edited by Sherry67

I think that everyone knew which ad I was referring to when I mentioned that the Fall Harvest title had been removed from Hallmark's montage about their different seasonal/holiday movie events.  Here is the actual ad -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78bcTFqK80M.

There are clips of a couple of last year's Fall Harvest movies included in that montage, but the title is just missing from it.  It should be there between June Weddings and Countdown to Christmas.  Fall Harvest was included in the package back in January, soon after Winterfest had begun.  But then sometime in the middle of Winterfest the commercial was edited and Fall Harvest was mysteriously removed.  I thought it would be put back after the Countdown to Valentine's Day ended, but it was not.  They did add in Spring Fling, though.

In any case, it probably means nothing -- because I can't see why Hallmark would skip Fall Harvest this year -- especially since they have left their Saturdays wide open for new movies, while their Sundays are free for series.  It's just interesting that Fall Harvest is missing from the promo.