Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The Wedding Veil: Expectations

I'm trying but the proceedings are just  so much meh, and I just can't get into the limp thruline of the plot. This movie highlights what I find most trying with Hallmark movies -- insipid story with no compelling dramatic tension equals drawn-out, uninteresting story and pacing.

• Like 5

So, the Expectations were too high?  I really had zero interest in the continuation of the veil story as I don't like Lacey and I like her the most of the three actresses.  I am curious about the big surprise though.  I find it hard to believe it's a pregnancy even though that's clearly what we were led to expect.

• Like 1

That blankety-blank wedding veil -- who cares?

On 1/5/2023 at 9:26 PM, Clawdette said:

My favorite memory of axe throwing is Ed Ames hurling the blade smack dab into the crotch of a silhouette of a man on  the Johnny Carson show.

omg, yes! How could I forget that?  A classic television moment!   Don't remember exactly what Johnny's reply was but I think it had to do with circumcision.

Meh, I watched, but I’m not sure I needed another round of The Wedding Veil movies. 

Before the movie started, I was thinking to myself, Hmm, Maybe Kevin McGarry dropped the terrible accent. LOL, nope! It’s still there. There is a really cute, hilarious little moment referencing the accent at the end of the movie (that I won’t spoil), though.

I know they’re rich and all, but Lacey’s character came across as way too into sparing no expense fixing up their house. At one point, she also told her husband they needed to buy a mini van because of some lie she told an acquaintance! Meanwhile, he was super stressed out and losing his shit about all of the house’s issues, and I am not sure she really noticed much. Wasn’t a good look.

Anyways, I didn’t care much for the movie or all of the mentions of baby brain/pregnancy symptoms/pregnancy hormones. So. Many. Mentions! 

I like Paulo, so I hope the next installment is better (but my hopes are super low since I can’t think of any Hallmark movie where later installments were an improvement on the first movie).

I thought it was a pleasant movie. I didn't have high expectations because the first movies were pretty thin with plot as well so I'm surprised I ended up watching the whole thing. 

But I did find I felt good watching it so that's a plus.

37 minutes ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

Before the movie started, I was thinking to myself, Hmm, Maybe Kevin McGarry dropped the terrible accent. LOL, nope! It’s still there.

It was more consistent, at least.  As in, I didn't hear it until 20 minutes in but at least he stuck with it after that.  (I felt like he went in and out of it in the first movie.)

39 minutes ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

I know they’re rich and all, but Lacey’s character came across as way too into sparing no expense fixing up their house. At one point, she also told her husband they needed to buy a mini van because of some lie she told an acquaintance! Meanwhile, he was super stressed out and losing his shit about all of the house’s issues, and I am not sure she really noticed much.

Yeah.  But I don't think he was so worried about the finances as much as it was a lot to do because they are, after all rich.  And repairs can be stressful. 

I did laugh a bit at how old fashioned she was about wanting to get a verified pregnancy from her personal doctor and only her personal doctor even though it'd delay her results a week.  This feels like all she'd need is an ordered pregnancy test and then she could just check her results online.

And I also wish the picture swap had gone through.  Let other people who can't visit Boston see the painting.

I just hope the future installments aren't all about them getting pregnant. 

43 minutes ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

There is a really cute, hilarious little moment referencing the accent at the end of the movie (that I won’t spoil), though.

It completely caught me off-guard & Kevin’s reaction was *priceless.  They must read this thread 🤣

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, voiceover said:

It completely caught me off-guard & Kevin’s reaction was *priceless.  They must read this thread 🤣

Their reaction was adorable and genuine — I got such a kick out of it!

I didn’t mind the movie at all.  

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I watched it and I don't recall what was said. 

It was after the end of the movie, kind of like When Harry Met Sally, when Kevin and Lacey (their characters) were being interviewed on how they met, etc.  

17 hours ago, bankerchick said:

So, the Expectations were too high?  I really had zero interest in the continuation of the veil story as I don't like Lacey and I like her the most of the three actresses.  I am curious about the big surprise though.  I find it hard to believe it's a pregnancy even though that's clearly what we were led to expect.

Oh, of course it was the pregnancy!  Lacey's character thought she might be pregnant, but, for reasons beyond understanding, told her two bridal veil buddies and not her husband.  And didn't want to do a pregnancy test until she could see her extra special super duper doctor who wasn't available for a couple of weeks.  So we got all kinds of hilarity as she had symptoms of pregnancy but wouldn't get a test.  And then kept trying to set up the perfect moment to tell her hubby only to be thwarted.  I Love Lucy did it so much better.

Kevin's accent was so noticeable in this one, I was pleasantly surprised and got a laugh at the joke at the end of the movie about it.

This plot kind of sums up the movie: Lacey is the director of a museum in their hometown and is extra excited because she is putting together an amazing exhibit of lace! And it is going to draw so many new patrons to the museum because everyone loves to look at lace.  And, guess what?  There was a painting in the basement of the museum of a bride from way back when, wearing lace!  Specifically the lace veil that Lacey and friends wore at their weddings.  And people are just clamoring to see the veil and the painting in the same place.  The museum meanwhile has hired a new curator who is less than impressed with lace as art to draw new patrons and feels they need to get some better art.  He, of course, sees the error of his ways.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

The funny line about the accent is in like the last minute of the movie, after “The End” flashes on the screen. The characters are being interviewed about their relationship, for some reason.

Alison Sweeney’s character made multiple comments about not ending up with children, so I hope they stick with that. Not everyone wants kids, so I don’t need to see some storyline in her movie where she unexpectedly finds out she’s pregnant.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

Not everyone wants kids, so I don’t need to see some storyline in her movie where she unexpectedly finds out she’s pregnant.

I agree but this is Hallmark where singletons are not tolerated because they cannot possibly have a happy or fulfilling life without a partner and children.

3 hours ago, Notabug said:

This plot kind of sums up the movie: Lacey is the director of a museum in their hometown and is extra excited because she is putting together an amazing exhibit of lace! And it is going to draw so many new patrons to the museum because everyone loves to look at lace.  And, guess what?  There was a painting in the basement of the museum of a bride from way back when, wearing lace!  Specifically the lace veil that Lacey and friends wore at their weddings.  And people are just clamoring to see the veil and the painting in the same place.  The museum meanwhile has hired a new curator who is less than impressed with lace as art to draw new patrons and feels they need to get some better art.  He, of course, sees the error of his ways.

Thank you for this.  I am so glad I don't have to watch the movie now because I'm sure your recap was probably more interesting.  I don't want to judge but a lace museum doesn't sound like anything I would want to visit.  Even if it includes paintings of lace.

• Like 2

So after re-watching Winter in Vail  tonight, I was reminded that it has my 2nd favorite Hallmark movie ending line: “What good is a view when you can’t see the stars?”   Sweet and mushy!  Not like the arch “You had me at ‘sewing kit’!”, which will never lose its #1 spot. 

• Like 6
On 1/8/2023 at 11:26 AM, SonofaBiscuit said:

I know they’re rich and all, but Lacey’s character came across as way too into sparing no expense fixing up their house. At one point, she also told her husband they needed to buy a mini van because of some lie she told an acquaintance! Meanwhile, he was super stressed out and losing his shit about all of the house’s issues, and I am not sure she really noticed much. Wasn’t a good look.

On 1/7/2023 at 6:51 PM, FunnyFace said:

I'm trying but the proceedings are just  so much meh, and I just can't get into the limp thruline of the plot. This movie highlights what I find most trying with Hallmark movies -- insipid story with no compelling dramatic tension equals drawn-out, uninteresting story and pacing.

Yeah, this was a fairly insipid entry in the Wedding Veil series. Also, is it just me, or does it seem like there's zero chemistry between Lacey and Kevin? I somewhat noticed this in the first one, but noticed it more in this one.

And lastly, I cannot ITA enough the quote from @SonofaBiscuit. Man oh man, it jumped off the screen for me how arrogant Lacey's character was about all the repairs/updates the house needed. The contractor mentioned updating the electrical wiring, plumbing, fixing cracked foundation, some vague roof problems, (and other stuff I've forgotten) and each and every time, Lacey was like:  "it'll be fine."  Yeah, to the super wealthy, all these problems are "fine" since they have the $$$ to throw at the problems to make them go away. I know Kevin's character is wealthy, but it still left a bad taste in my mouth at the cavalier attitude towards these problems that probably cost in the 100's of thousands to fix.

Autumn's Veil sequel is next, and again, WHY OH WHY didn't Hallmark cast Antonio Cupo as the male lead?!  He's ethnically Italian, and from what I understand, speaks Italian fluently. I just love this couple and wish they made more than two movies together.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
47 minutes ago, norcalgal said:

Also, is it just me, or does it seem like there's zero chemistry between Lacey and Kevin? I somewhat noticed this in the first one, but noticed it more in this one.

I didn't think they had much in the first but I actually thought they had more in the sequel. 

48 minutes ago, norcalgal said:

just love this couple and wish they made more than two movies together.

They made more. 3 for Hallmark and at least one for another outlet---if it ever got released.

But only 2 Hallmark movies where they were the OTP.  I do agree that this would have been a fun vehicle for them.

10 hours ago, norcalgal said:

Autumn's Veil sequel is next, and again, WHY OH WHY didn't Hallmark cast Antonio Cupo as the male lead?!  He's ethnically Italian, and from what I understand, speaks Italian fluently. I just love this couple and wish they made more than two movies together.

Even I, a very vocal non-fan of Autumn, might have been tempted to watch this one.

20 hours ago, norcalgal said:

Yeah, this was a fairly insipid entry in the Wedding Veil series. Also, is it just me, or does it seem like there's zero chemistry between Lacey and Kevin? I somewhat noticed this in the first one, but noticed it more in this one.

No, it was not just you. There was zero chemistry between this pairing. 

• Like 2
On 1/7/2023 at 9:51 PM, FunnyFace said:

Based on the promos I had assumed that all three women would be pregnant.  I hope I'm wrong because that just seems so :shrug: I can't come up with the right adjective here!  Alison Sweeny is also 47.  Not that women can't get pregnant at this age (just ask my grandmother) but is this a usual Hallmark plot?  Get 'em married, then get 'em pregnant?

2 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

Not that women can't get pregnant at this age (just ask my grandmother) but is this a usual Hallmark plot?  Get 'em married, then get 'em pregnant?

In Hallmarklandia, no woman is worthy unless wed with children.  No career women need apply.

• LOL 1
4 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

is this a usual Hallmark plot?  Get 'em married, then get 'em pregnant?

We don't usually see beyond the closing kiss (which is usually their first kiss) and sometimes a marriage proposal, but I imagine that is Hallmark's assumption.  Yet that does not explain Nine Lives of Christmas/Nine Kittens of Christmas where they not only didn't have kids after they climbed on the fire truck, it appears they broke up!!  Yes, they got back together, but what if Marilee hadn't come home for Christmas?  Or if Zachary had left a day earlier for his vacation?  Or someone hadn't left kittens at the fire station and the veterinarian hadn't closed their business?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

Is this a usual Hallmark plot?  Get 'em married, then get 'em pregnant?

No. The only kids that show up are if one of the love interests has a child from a previous relationship.

1 hour ago, Cetacean said:

In Hallmarklandia, no woman is worthy unless wed with children.  No career women need apply.

I don't think that's reflective of their latest movies. Or heck, even at their worst.  Kids are rarely discussed in the 'happily ever after' portion of their unabashed romcoms.

• Like 2

I'm seeing Mr. Piggy Nose everywhere.  Who is he -- Luke McFarland?

What is the name of that older (late 40's or possibly early 50's) male lead with -- and I apologize for not coming up with a better description -- what looks like a very light grayish-white chin goatee?  He also has turned-down lines on both sides of his mouth.  

I thought we determined Mr. Pignose is Ryan Paevey?  Luke Macfarlane is the normal good looking guy with zero chemistry with anyone.

Don't know about the goatee guy, but would like to check him out.  Do you know any movies he was in?  

• Like 1
20 hours ago, bankerchick said:

I thought we determined Mr. Pignose is Ryan Paevey?  Luke Macfarlane is the normal good looking guy with zero chemistry with anyone.

Don't know about the goatee guy, but would like to check him out.  Do you know any movies he was in?  

Yes, you are right, Piggy is Ryan, I just found a photo.

I should amend the "goatee" -- it is actually what appears to be a perpetual white stubble which gives this actor the appearance (at least in that area of his face) of a mangy old dog, which he most definitely does not resemble overall -- his general look is dignified.  Unfortunately I cannot come up with any movie title.   He is tall, well-built and solid, with a down-to-earth demeanor/personality.

Edited by Bronx Babe
47 minutes ago, Bronx Babe said:

I should amend the "goatee" -- it is actually what appears to be a perpetual white stubble which gives this actor the appearance (at least in that area of his face) of a mangy old dog, which he most definitely does not resemble overall -- his general look is dignified.  Unfortunately I cannot come up with any movie title.   He is tall, well-built and solid, with a down-to-earth demeanor/personality.

OK, well, let's try to narrow it down.  Does he usually play a Dad, or a boss?  Is he a city guy or on the farm?  Is he a mayor or an evil corporate guy?

Now I will have to watch all movies with an eye to identifying the guy (who sounds like James Brolin,) and given the next couple movies are veil movies which I won't be watching, it could be a few weeks before I see anyone who resembles him.  Although, I do have a ton of good Hallmarks on my PVR (some more than once) I guess I could go on a binge tonight and watch a few.  I'll report back if I find any tall, well-built, solid, down-to-earth, mangy dogs in any of the movies.  And can I just say that I would love to watch a movie where he is the main guy?

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Oh gosh, let me see.....I think he plays mostly a city guy but honestly cannot be sure.  I'm going to have to watch Hallmark today all this week-end and see if I can spot him and the movie title, then get back to you.  He is definitely hunky in a "mature" sort of way, like James Brolin, and I always enjoy watching that kind of man.

ugh, you mean they're repeating all those veil movies?  Drat.   I will, however, persevere!   I must find that actor!

Nobody saw Groundswell?

On 1/3/2023 at 1:43 PM, Bronx Babe said:

Groundswell:  Surfing as a metaphor for Life, that was o.k.  And I always find Lacey Chabert appealing, but did not believe that her character Emma's attraction to Ben was anything other than LUST; I mean, she was looking at him barechested at the beach with hungry eyes, lol.  I didn't even get any primal "she's a hot chick" vibes from Ben, much less of romantic love. 

2 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

Oh gosh, let me see.....I think he plays mostly a city guy but honestly cannot be sure.  I'm going to have to watch Hallmark today all this week-end and see if I can spot him and the movie title, then get back to you.  He is definitely hunky in a "mature" sort of way, like James Brolin, and I always enjoy watching that kind of man.

ugh, you mean they're repeating all those veil movies?  Drat.   I will, however, persevere!   I must find that actor!

Could it be Dylan Neal

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

ugh, you mean they're repeating all those veil movies?

Repeating?  They have two new ones to sell, chapter 2 for Autumn Reesor and Alison Sweeney.  Lacey's character is pregnant and even Hallmark wouldn't use the same storyline for all 3 would they?  Maybe one of them gets a dog and one gets a divorce.  

3 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

Nobody saw Groundswell?

Wasn't that actually from a few months ago?  Isn't it the one where there was some comment on her wearing a wetsuit rather than a bathing suit (or something like that?)  I have no recollection of the story or the lead actor, who is handsome but does nothing for me.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bankerchick said:

Maybe one of them gets a dog and one gets a divorce.  

Ha.  Divorce would ruin the 'magic'.

I saw an interview with Lacey.  Autumn's movie is about them dealing with a long distance relationship.   I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up pregnant since they focused a lot on how much her mother-in-law wants it (and so does she).  

Alison's movie is about them going on their honeymoon in Greece.   Hopefully,  no baby for them. 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, kirinan said:

Could it be Dylan Neal

You're on the right track but no, not him.

19 hours ago, bankerchick said:

Repeating?  They have two new ones to sell, chapter 2 for Autumn Reesor and Alison Sweeney.  Lacey's character is pregnant and even Hallmark wouldn't use the same storyline for all 3 would they?  Maybe one of them gets a dog and one gets a divorce.  

Wasn't that actually from a few months ago?  Isn't it the one where there was some comment on her wearing a wetsuit rather than a bathing suit (or something like that?)  I have no recollection of the story or the lead actor, who is handsome but does nothing for me.

I like all three actresses but have zero interest in the history and "magic" of that wedding veil.

I guess I must have missed the comments on Groundswell.  Yes, Lacey shows up at the beach in a wetsuit.   That lead actor did nothing for me either.  Too skinny.

• Like 1

kirinan, the more I look at photos of Dylan Neal, I'm struck by the resemblance -- only he doesn't have those downturned lines on either side of his mouth.   But now I'm confused!

Edited by Bronx Babe
On 1/13/2023 at 5:52 PM, Irlandesa said:

Ha.  Divorce would ruin the 'magic'.

I saw an interview with Lacey.  Autumn's movie is about them dealing with a long distance relationship.   I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up pregnant since they focused a lot on how much her mother-in-law wants it (and so does she).  

Alison's movie is about them going on their honeymoon in Greece.   Hopefully,  no baby for them. 

Have it on as background tonight.  I don't know who in the wardrobe department thought that giving Autumn that 'signature' hat to wear in all these movies was a good idea, but they need to go back to the drawing board.  I don't know if it's her looks or that particular hat, but it is singularly unflattering.

I was shocked, shocked I tell you, to discover in the first few minutes of the movie that Lacey's character had given birth offscreen and she came to visit Autumn's character and left the kid at home with her husband.  I was sure she'd be hugely pregnant and end up going into labor and hijinks ensue. Later in the movie, there's a scene with Lacey holding the kiddo while speaking with her buddies on the phone.  He's cute, doesn't look like either one of his TV parents.

Interesting that all these women have artsy fartsy kinda vague careers but managed to snag rich guys so they live in gorgeous homes and have massive wardrobes including expensive formalwear while having the sorts of jobs that don't pay very well.  Kinda like the Christmas films where the main female character works in a diner and has 6 winter dress coats.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 4
4 hours ago, Notabug said:

I was shocked, shocked I tell you, to discover in the first few minutes of the movie that Lacey's character had given birth offscreen and she came to visit Autumn's character and left the kid at home with her husband. 

The baby had been born by the end of last week's movie.  I guess they could overlap the timelines of the movies and have her be pregnant but big time shenanigans would have detracted from Autumn's story which is not what they usually do.  Or least they haven't in these movies.  Next week might be different.

Or maybe they're saving the hijinx for when Emma gives birth.

Need something light today so am watching Three Wise Men and a Baby.  Absolutely laughed out loud at the scene where the two brothers confront Luke and clearly have bonded as they clutch hands and say "how dare you" at something Luke says.  Well written and well acted so far.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
On 1/14/2023 at 1:17 PM, Kemper said:

Could it be … I think his name is Niall Matter?

Just checked Niall's photo -- unfortunately, nope!  My mangy whiskered/stubble chin guy is more solidly built, and with a rather large, squarish face.

20 hours ago, Notabug said:

Have it on as background tonight.  I don't know who in the wardrobe department thought that giving Autumn that 'signature' hat to wear in all these movies was a good idea, but they need to go back to the drawing board.  I don't know if it's her looks or that particular hat, but it is singularly unflattering.

Interesting that all these women have artsy fartsy kinda vague careers but managed to snag rich guys so they live in gorgeous homes and have massive wardrobes including expensive formalwear while having the sorts of jobs that don't pay very well.  Kinda like the Christmas films where the main female character works in a diner and has 6 winter dress coats.

I thought the halt was fine, neither hate nor love.

What really irks me is how all three women can drop everything and fly to visit east other just.like.that!  It’s not just the expense of doing so, but having the kind of job that allows someone to fly somewhere at the drop of a…er…hat. 
This happened in the first trilogy and continued in this trilogy sequel.  
So in the final sequel with Alison’s character, I know she & hubby will honeymoon in Greece, and Autumn’s character now lives in Italy, which is fairly close to Greece but what BS will they come up with to have Lacey’s character crash Alison’s honeymoon!? It’s really too absurd!

Finally, enough with the weddings because it’s really ridiculous how none of the other spouses show up at the end for (fill in the blank’s) wedding.  

ps…I’m not really a lace person, but the veil and Nonna’s shawl are really gorgeous.  I’d buy the shawl.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Clawdette said:

I can't remember: Does Victor Webster ever have gray stubble?  He's a little older and well-built.

I was just going to post this.  He certainly fits the description.  Isn't he the husband in the Alison Sweeney veil movie?

• Like 1
On 1/8/2023 at 6:04 PM, Cetacean said:

I agree but this is Hallmark where singletons are not tolerated because they cannot possibly have a happy or fulfilling life without a partner and children.

Shocking.  A channel that markets itself as exclusively romance........shows only romance movies.  Too bad there aren’t any other channels that might have something different.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
On 1/15/2023 at 6:33 PM, Clawdette said:

I can't remember: Does Victor Webster ever have gray stubble?  He's a little older and well-built.

That’s who I thought of when she described the actor. 

• Like 2

I think goatee man is Christopher Russell.  He has a square jaw and is a tall hunk.   Could be Sam Page he sometimes sports a chin stubble.

did you know there is a word for made-up European kingdoms?  At least according to Wikipedia.  It’s Ruritania and it’s an interesting read regarding its use in legal proceedings.  It’s been around for over a century.

As for the veil movies I found Lacey’s to be meh but Autumn’s was better because I thought the new couple had chemistry and the ‘girl’ was a bit quirky.  Plus, Paolo.

• Like 2

I liked it!  Liked the subplot romance (a sweet counterpoint, plus she had a very believable reason for being gunshy), liked Paolo still wooing his wife, reallyreally liked the fact that Autumn’s character hated meetings! and admin paperwork! and the never-ending clusterfark that is survival in today’s academia (finally a Hallmark plot where I can yell out a “Preach!” and not be ironic).

And I liked that little coda.  Not as laugh-out-loud as was Lacey & Kevin’s, but Paolo was adorable with that hidden smooch.

• Like 3

Is it maybe Mark Deklin? He’s not usually one that jumps to mind when I think of Hallmark movie actors, but he’s definitely been in a few. 

(Longtime lurker that joined to play this round of ‘Guess that Hallmark guy’!)

• Like 4