Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

So last night I dreamt that someone I know betrayed me in a major way. All day I've been slightly mad at this person even though I know the real them hasn't done anything. I've been trying to shake it but can't. I hate the way my mind works sometimes. ?

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, ginger90 said:

The term, “fixed income “. Unless you work overtime on a regular basis, or have assets that vary in pay out, etc. aren’t the majority of us on “fixed incomes”?

I think the distinction has to do with the possibility or lack thereof of a significant change to one's income. For someone whose income is primarily SS payments plus any other retirement funds, there's generally not going to be any major change to how much income there is on a monthly basis. OTOH, while someone's income might be fixed in the sense of getting the same take-home pay every paycheck, there's always the possibility of promotion to a higher level job or switching jobs to something where the pay level is different. 

The other distinction is that you might consider people who have a year-round steady job versus someone whose work is primarily seasonal, or whose number of hours of work is dictated by changing circumstances. For example, there's been construction going on a couple of streets over from me for the past few months, although it is finally finished as of about a week ago. But for a couple of weeks there, the rain was so intense that the crew that normally frames the house couldn't do their work, the crew that pours the driveway and sidewalk couldn't do that either, and so forth. So those people are not on a fixed income. If they don't work on days when the weather is too bad, they don't get paid for those days. 

• Love 9
On 10/3/2018 at 8:47 PM, forumfish said:

Yes, good point, but in this case, he wasn't repeating himself, he kept adding new info -- first it was a death in the family, then they were from out of town, then he mentioned being a vet, etc. It's like he was trying to find the magic words that would guilt me into giving him money. He had a vehicle and an accomplice (whom he called his wife), too, so my description of "panhandler" may not be as accurate as "scam artist." Sorry about that.

Hmm...I thought I had replied to this but I guess it got eaten.  When panhandlers or whatever approach me, I always look them right in the eye and say, "Oh!  No thank you" and keep walking.  I think it surprises them, like they think, "Wait--I'm not offering, I'm asking" but by then I'm gone.  I've never had anyone catch back up to extend their pitch.

• Love 3

CHEAP PEOPLE! And I don't mean sensibly frugal or not wasteful or that kind of thing, I mean nonsensically cheap. 

Today, my animal shelter held a garage sale, proceeds to benefit the care of the animals and the maintenance of the shelter itself. A lady bought a big bunch of stuff that amounted to $29. She was paying with two 20s and approached a fellow volunteer, who said that she had a 10 but had run out of singles and asked the lady to wait for a minute while she finished helping someone else. Well, she waited. I'm sorry--and maybe I am nuts?--but how about just saying don't worry about that dollar? 

But this also happened!

A man showed up with the cutest gigantic dog, a 150-pound Leonberger. He was up to my hip, and his head and hands and feet were so big--he was just maddeningly adorable. The man said that they have to buy only the most tough and durable toys for him. But when that boy put his big face into a bin of toys, selected a soft and plushy (and clearly not tough) thing, then looked up with his find in his mouth, his dad said, "...well, OK, you can have it."

And then my heart burst into 65 pieces! 

• Love 16

Then she didn’t need the stuff she picked up at this sale? Or her Lexus? Or say that upfront? Or be sure not to stray from this hypothetical budget? Nine dollars is a big spillover if your limit hangs in the balance by just one.

We see this every year—with the put-out sighs when told a price for an item (that is clearly marked), the requests for a “better” kind of bag to carry away their stuff, and—hahahaha!—the “Does this [completely unrelated item on a separate table] come with it?” (Yes, you're in luck; that metal garlic press does indeed go with that yoga DVD and commemorative JFK plate!) And it’s annoying every year. 

Really, instead of being early birds to the sale, the cheapskates should come at the end, when none of us wants to put the remaining stuff back into our cars and take it away!

Edited by TattleTeeny
Sorry! I conflated the crossed-out part with the other lady today who didn't have enough money but wanted a bunch of stuff anyway, which was also weird.
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

CHEAP PEOPLE! And I don't mean sensibly frugal or not wasteful or that kind of thing, I mean nonsensically cheap. 

I live in a large retirement community with a fairly high median household income. We have a local discussion board with a section for personal ads and I just shake my head at how many items are listed for under $5. Seems crazy that someone will drive 10-30 minutes (probably in their golf cart!) to pick up a $3 beach towel or ratty welcome mat. Isn't their time worth anything?

(Of course it's entirely possible that my own retirement income is not fairly high because I've never been a scrimper and they have.)

• Love 3

Haha! Reminds me of my dad, who used to--pre-internet--make a huge fuss over where to get the best gas prices, regardless of how far out of your way you had to go to do it. To be fair, I never did the math so who knows? But my eventual and "generous" contribution to his notion was agreeing to do it and then just not. 

• Love 8

Back in high school I had a friend who live in a fairly busy residential street that fed into the major road.  Her mom was pretty regularly updating things that did not need to be updating so there were random household items that needed to be gotten rid of, so the better stuff her dad usually took to a church collection site or Goodwill. 

Occasionally there was some just beat up stuff that had no life left, but because dad, Nick, was a funny guy, he would put it in the swale with a handwritten sign saying For Sale - and then set a stupid price for something that was obviously junk.  The number of people who stopped, knocked on the door and would haggle with him over the price was astounding.  This was a solidly middle class area and these were middle class folks going about their weekend errands stopping to haggle over a foot stool, end table or (1) dining room chair that was in too bad of condition that they did not think it was good enough to donate to Goodwill.

Last I heard Nick was living the high life in a retirement community in South Florida.  His wife died years ago, but he's in good health, financially comfortable, good company and still has his own car (reports are from his kids that he can still drive safely, but only drives during the day). 

• Love 3

This garage sale happens in in affluent town too (my town shares its zip code, but is not so affluent, haha!). Now, I don't know that all the people who come to the sale are from the town, but it definitely adds a layer of "come on, now!" to it all if they are!

Edited by TattleTeeny
20 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Today, my animal shelter held a garage sale, proceeds to benefit the care of the animals and the maintenance of the shelter itself. A lady bought a big bunch of stuff that amounted to $29. She was paying with two 20s and approached a fellow volunteer, who said that she had a 10 but had run out of singles and asked the lady to wait for a minute while she finished helping someone else. Well, she waited. I'm sorry--and maybe I am nuts?--but how about just saying don't worry about that dollar?

I'm big on actually paying what I'm led to believe it'll cost, so I would have waited for the dollar.  It fits in with my sense of rigor.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I'm big on actually paying what I'm led to believe it'll cost, so I would have waited for the dollar.  It fits in with my sense of rigor.

That makes perfect sense to me in most situations, but this was not about being misled; no one tried to pretend anything about the prices. Personally, I'd be more concerned with helping the cause than I would a dollar. Plus, I hate to wait.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Personally, I'd be more concerned with helping the cause than I would a dollar. Plus, I hate to wait.

Yeah, I don't spend money willy-nilly, but my impatience means there are quite a few transactions when I'd at least consider skipping the dollar rather than waiting for someone to go get change.  At a charity fundraiser, definitely.  So I don't think it's bad that she hung around for the rest of her change, but I am surprised that in that environment her reaction wasn't to say, "Oh, that's fine, just consider it a donation."  It's a dollarTo help animals.  Maybe just habit, or her mind was elsewhere already.  Or she was there to score cheap stuff, not to support the cause, so that just wasn't her mindset to begin with. 

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

That makes perfect sense to me in most situations, but this was not about being misled; no one tried to pretend anything about the prices. Personally, I'd be more concerned with helping the cause than I would a dollar. Plus, I hate to wait.

Actually, when I first wrote my response, I had, "actually paying what I expect to pay" but changed it to "led to believe what it'll cost."  In neither one did I intend to imply there was any misleading going on.  I just like knowing what things costs, and often make my decision based on it. 

And believe me when I say there aren't many people on this planet who hate to wait more than I do.  But in this case, I'd be waiting for my dollar, which would give me some agency in the waiting and I think make it more tolerable.

I'm with @Bastet in thinking it's possible the lady wasn't there to help animals but instead to score cheap stuff.  If I want to support a cause, I'll just give them money.  Like with canned food drives--just give them the money you'd spend on the canned food because they'll be able to get a lot more with it than one can of food.  But charities are at the mercy of people, and we know how that goes.

Or she was there to score cheap stuff, not to support the cause, so that just wasn't her mindset to begin with. 

Entirely possible. I would THINK the signs would clue them in, but what do I know? Haha, while there are some who ask where are the animals that are "for sale," others show up like they have no idea where they are or how they got there (probably the ones who have been at it--it's a townwide thing--since the crack of dawn), and one lady kept asking how much for the rack that had clothes for sale on it (good lord, what would we do with the clothes if someone took the rack? Put 'em on the ground?)! Oy, and then, I got the stink eye from a lady who wanted to donate a comforter, when I told her that (A) we don't take most soft, fabric items, especially huge ones that don't fit into a standard washer, and (B) the donation receptacle is temporarily removed due to obvious construction on the property (no storefront or windows right now, caution tape everywhere, and all the cats are being temporarily fostered in homes). 

Edited by TattleTeeny
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

Not to mention that (I'm assuming) she's not buying vital necessities like food or healthcare items. She's buying stuff at a garage sale. She didn't know what was there before she went to it. She lived without the items before the sale. She can donate a damn dollar.

• Love 4

Speaking of paying for things, there are several subdivisions of this area that bother me.  Here's one:

Believe it or not, I'm peeved when I pay less for something than I expected to.  Like if something is on sale but only the regular price, and not the sale price, is marked on the shelf, so I didn't know it was on sale.  The thing is, I've exhibited my willingness to pay the regular price, and sale prices exist to influence behavior, and in this case, my behavior wasn't influenced AND the store lost money I was willing to pay.  That's just stupid on the store's part. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Not to mention that (I'm assuming) she's not buying vital necessities like food or healthcare items. She's buying stuff at a garage sale. She didn't know what was there before she went to it. She lived without the items before the sale. She can donate a damn dollar.

But as far as we know, the lady didn't bitch about having to wait, or make work for the volunteers beyond what they'd signed up for, or otherwise be a nuisance.  All she did was be willing to wait for her dollar.  It would actually have been easier for her, when they didn't have the right change, to just say "Fuck this shit" and leave without buying any of these non-essential items at all, and the animal shelter would have lost out on $29.  Instead, she chose to wait, and the shelter got their $29.  Seems like everybody got what they wanted. 

• Love 4

No one accused her of bitching (she didn't, as far as I could see, but she did do the sigh) and no one was put out by getting her dollar; I was the one who gave it to her (and it was actually mine). We--I, rather--accused her of being cheap (which she was), and posted that cheapness was a peeve I have. And if she wanted the stuff, why would she leave without it?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 11

No one accused her of bitching (she didn't, as far as I could see, but she did do the sigh) and no one was put out by getting her dollar; I was the one who gave it to her (and it was actually mine). We--I, rather--accused her of being cheap (which she was), and posted that cheapness was a peeve I have. And if she wanted the stuff, why would she leave without it?

I guess we just have differing definitions of being cheap.  I see a dollar that is hers and that she wants and didn't make a stink about getting, while you see a dollar that, while hers, should have been donated to the animal shelter.  If someone doesn't donate to a certain organization, I don't consider that being cheap because that person may donate lots to other charities.

As for why she'd leave without what she'd bought, an impatient person who's buying discretionary items might do that just to avoid having to wait, especially if confronted with a few minutes to consider, "Do I really need this crap?"

• Love 4

I guess so--but then what even is your definition of being cheap if not this (I'm genuinely asking, not snarking)? I can't see how the dollar belonging to her or whether or not she made a stink absolves her of being cheap. One can be cheap while behaving in a perfectly friendly manner (just ask anyone who's ever waited tables), and it would have to be one's own dollar to qualify (or at least in the hands of whomever was in charge of the dollar at the moment, more or less--though I suppose she could have been using the money of someone who made a strict "no more than 29" stipulation?); being cheap is not wanting to part with that one (additional) dollar in a situation like this (regardless of how much one donates to other things). I guess I mean that maybe I base cheapness on the amount in question, particularly compared with the amount already being spent. But, you know, mileage varies, whatever. But I didn't say "should be donated"--I'm just baffled as to why one simply wouldn't at that point.

As for the second part, oh yes--I have indeed been there myself. Sometimes to the degree that I ask, "What the hell am I even doing right now?"

Edited by TattleTeeny
5 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I guess so--but then what even is your definition of being cheap if not this (I'm genuinely asking, not snarking)? I can't see how the dollar belonging to her or whether or not she made a stink absolving her of being cheap. One can be cheap while behaving perfectly friendly, and it would have to be one's own dollar; being cheap is not wanting to part with one dollar in a situation like this regardless of how much she donates to other things. But, you know, mileage varies, whatever.

I think that's the difference between our views.  You said, "CHEAP PEOPLE! And I don't mean sensibly frugal or not wasteful or that kind of thing, I mean nonsensically cheap."  I can see how it made sense to her to wait for the dollar, so I don't agree with the "nonsensically." 

Maybe she actually hates animals, and was gritting her teeth while handing over the $29 but thought, "I'm getting a good enough bargain that I can justify enriching an organization I don't like."  I wouldn't think she's nonsensically cheap for not wanting to hand over even a dollar more in that case. 

Actually, that's kind of like how I am at Goodwill.  I'll buy stuff there occasionally, but there are things about them that I don't like, so I don't let them round up to the next dollar.  They get the sticker price from me, and I buy something used instead of new save the world, and I think that fulfills everybody's responsibilities.

As for her not causing a stink absolving her of being cheap, I was addressing the assumption that was being made about what she was buying and why that didn't entitle her to want her dollar in change.  I think if she wasn't being an asshole, then she shouldn't be judged harshly for wanting what's hers.  Actually, being an asshole has nothing to do with what's hers, but it's certainly a lot easier to sympathize with someone who's not an asshole in such situations.  

• Love 2

I see now where we diverge; the "wanting what's hers" (even though no one was trying to keep it from her) mentality, if that's even it, over a solitary dollar is exactly what's nonsensically cheap to me. Either way, thank you for elaborating (though I still don't get what would constitute as cheap that varies from what she was doing).

But, yes, nonassholery does go a long way. She wasn't an asshole but she wasn't nice either. Also, though, I'll add that maybe she wasn't even thinking about it at all, and saying "keep the dollar" didn't, for whatever reason (other than cheapness), occur to her. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2

I'm sure I complained about this last year, but   here goes anyway. 

My neighbor is decorating his front yard for Halloween.  I don't mind monsters, skeletons, ghosts, graveyards, witches, etc.   that's what the holiday is about.   But he has mannequins depicting violent acts - like blood and guts, people with their heads split open, that kind of stuff.   the kind, I think, you might see in a haunted house that was themed to a horror movie.   I avoid horror movies, and I cringe and hide behind a pillow when there are violent or gruesome scenes on TV.   this display is right in his front yard, where it can't be avoided,  he has two little kids, and I was a little creeped out the other day seeing his 3 year old daughter playing in the yard among the creepy bloody zombies.  

Maybe because many years ago, a woman I worked with suffered a horribly violent death.  I'm not sure. or maybe because when my kids were young,  two kids they knew were killed in separate accidents, one by a car, one by a falling tree.   So maybe depictions of violence and death remind me of the ugly realities.  

But I am eager for Halloween to be over and done with, because I have a twinge of anxiety each time I leave or come home.  

(And I'm hoping kids enjoy our string of pumpkin lights and our lighted jack-o-lantern). 

• Love 15
42 minutes ago, backformore said:

Maybe because many years ago, a woman I worked with suffered a horribly violent death

This is why my front yard graveyard is very G-rated. Well, I do have five young kids next door, that's a consideration too. I could do gross and scary, but I don't know how something bloody could affect people (young and old). So I keep it fun and just sorta spooky.(And I'll do it no more than ten days before the holiday.)

• Love 7

The best Halloween decoration I've ever seen was in a front yard that I passed years ago on an early morning walk in the twilight just before dawn.  A clothesline was stretched diagonally from the porch to a tree in a corner of the yard.  Hung on it with clothespins were a long black dress, a black shawl, a pair of striped stockings, a black fabric hobo-style shoulder bag, a pair of long black gloves, & a black witch's hat with a wide brim & a long pointed crown.   No blood & gore needed -- just so subtle & clever & funny that I've never forgotten it.   

• Love 14
6 hours ago, topanga said:

In past years, have you asked him if he could tone it down because of the kids in the neighborhood? (I’m sure you have). 

NO, he's a newcomer, this is only his second Halloween on the block.  I can't use the reason "for the kids"  because MY kids are grown and out of the house, while this neighbor has two kids himself - a 3 year old and a baby.   He is very proud of his work, is out every day perfecting the display.  Like I said, I don't have a problem with monsters and creatures and typical Halloween stuff.  A family on the next block has a front year that looks like the graveyard in front of Disney's Haunted Mansion, and I love it.   It's the neighbor's bloody, injured  people that I find disturbing.  

What's what's weird to me is being so gory when he has young kids himself.    why not go in the direction of Mickey Mouse pumpkins, and Casper?   WHy blood & guts? 

• Love 3

I can't believe you are the only one who finds it a bit too graphic to be comfortable with and since he sets it up so early, I probably would at least talk to him about it after Halloween because it is really too late now that he has it up already.

Just say that you honestly find his work to be a little too graphic and unsettling reminders of some real life occurrences that you have experienced.  Suggest he wait until later in the month to put out/reveal his more graphic pieces.

When I lived in Southern California, my neighborhood was hysterical - a couple of families went all out, but I think it was just the parents being big kids.  One year, one family (well a couple of neighbors got together on this) built a ship bow extension off a front porch, decked it and themselves out as pirates and had a hella good time.  Much rum was drunk that night I believe.  Another time (different family) dressed as Mr & Mrs Incredible in costume (so 2005ish?).  Mrs. Incredible was in  good shape so wearing tights was no big deal.  Mr. Incredible was more in line with the early movie where he was still out of shape. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, fairffaxx said:

The best Halloween decoration I've ever seen was in a front yard that I passed years ago on an early morning walk in the twilight just before dawn.  A clothesline was stretched diagonally from the porch to a tree in a corner of the yard.  Hung on it with clothespins were a long black dress, a black shawl, a pair of striped stockings, a black fabric hobo-style shoulder bag, a pair of long black gloves, & a black witch's hat with a wide brim & a long pointed crown.   No blood & gore needed -- just so subtle & clever & funny that I've never forgotten it.   

I'm not into blood and gore also, my decorations are orange and white string lights with a ghost projector light (like the ones for Christmas only with ghosts floating in circle). I love the idea above and will be incorporating it for next year!

• Love 5
12 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Cable channels that offer "Premium" service for a few dollars more, just to watch their one semi-decent show 24 hours early, perhaps "commercial free".  Who do you think your are, HBO?

Like, way to admit you're not giving us premium service already! Really, it's more the idea of going through all the effort to sign up for it all that's worse than the paying extra part (and the episodes would still be a week apart regardless). Plus, DVRS--I don't have to watch commercials. Further, if I watch it early, everyone will tell me to shut up about it until they watch anyway!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3

The absolute overkill on pumpkin spice-flavored food items needs to stop now. I walked into the grocery store, only to have my sensibilities assaulted by a huge display of pumpkin spice Cheerios. And if I was not hallucinating from the initial shock of the Cheerios, there was also a display of pumpkin spice Frosted Flakes. What in the actual fuck?

• Love 14

I feel I must fight for the honor of Trader Joe's Pumpkin O's. It's TJ's version of pumpkin spice Cheerios. It's delicious and has actual pumpkin in it.

I don't know how I feel about pumpkin spice Frosted Flakes. I'm not a "pumpkin spice everything!" person, though you are going to think so when I say that I like pumpkin pancakes and I've made a pumpkin cream cheese (no spice) that's delightful. I might have one Starbucks PSL a year. TJ's has a pumpkin spice ground coffee that's good, but I get tired of it before I finish the container. I like their Winter Blend better.

In summation, I like pumpkin [spice] foods that have actual pumpkin in them. Like pumpkin pie. Mmmm, pie.

• Love 5

I like the TJ pumpkin spice ground coffee, but I much prefer the Winter Blend too.  I usually stock up on both so I have some extra cans to give me a coffee thrill throughout the year - I mix them with regular coffee because too much of a good thing is no bueno.

I've seen the pumpkin Cheerios and thought What the AF?  I'm glad I did not see the Frosted Flakes ones because the mental vomit might have turned into an actual one.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

The absolute overkill on pumpkin spice-flavored food items needs to stop now. I walked into the grocery store, only to have my sensibilities assaulted by a huge display of pumpkin spice Cheerios. And if I was not hallucinating from the initial shock of the Cheerios, there was also a display of pumpkin spice Frosted Flakes. What in the actual fuck?

I despise pumpkin, and everything pumpkin spiced.  Nasty, nasty, nast nast.

(just had to get that out of my system, because the pumpkin spice craze has RUINED autumn for me)

• Love 8
11 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

I just can't get bent out of whack over this--I just see it as the same as chocolate's prevalence in the world. What I can get aggro about is DD's pumpkin spice coffee, which used to be subtle and good--it was basically just a faint scent with a super-slight taste difference. Now it's sweet as all hell (I'm a no-sugar coffee drinker) and repulsive!

I like actual pumpkin pie and have had some extremely good pumpkin cheesecake. I'm not really anti-pumpkin entirely, but the thought of pumpkin spice-flavored cereal just horrifies me. My reaction also probably has a lot to do with seeing so many food items that have had pumpkin spice flavoring added to them, and the bias I have about certain spices not belonging in certain foods. I did see some pumpkin spice muffins, and those seemed reasonable; like @bilgistic, I'm okay with items that have real pumpkin in them. For me, it's similar to the visceral reaction I have when seeing rice pudding: in my head, cinnamon does not ever belong in rice. 

• Love 2

I have a food peeve (well, many, but just this one for now). Actually, it's more of a people peeve though--bacon. People who talk a lot about bacon. Bacon has been here forever yet in recent years, it has become people's go-to... thing. And they always remark about it as if it's somehow clever and unique to like bacon? Or that interjecting bacon talk into online conversations makes you delightfully quirky? And while I am not bothered by this because I don't eat meat, I am annoyed that if that's the case, people do it more--and in an even more annoying way: "But bacon." But shut up!

I've also seen a weird backlash at people who like avocado toast! Like, why are there snarky memes about, and why is my uncle mad at, people who eat this?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 7

Because avocados are vile?

No (I don't think so anyway; I love them). But it's like a cult of people who think avocado toast is a new and somehow upsetting thing foisted upon society by millennials or something.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4

I've also seen a weird backlash at people who like avocado toast! Like, why are there snarky memes about, and why is my uncle mad at, people who eat this?

I think it's a bit like your reaction to people obsessed with bacon, because just like with extolling the awesomeness of bacon (and it is pretty fucking delicious, I'll give them that), eating avocado toast (which is also tasty) a) became a trend b) that people treated like a new discovery and c) felt compelled to randomly tell the world about. 

Not being on social media, I am spared whatever memes and such are going around, but my guess would be it's not about everyone who eats avocado toast, but people who go on about avocado toast in a way that's annoying (just like you're not annoyed with everyone who loves bacon, just the people who treat it like some miraculous discovery that must be discussed).

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 7
7 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

But it's like a cult of people who think avocado toast is a new and somehow upsetting thing foisted upon society by millennials or something.

I think that's it. The trend doesn't bug me, but neither do I understand how or why it's a trend. I mean, I've been eating guacamole on toast since the 70s.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

Yes, it was just a few years ago when Pumpkin spice lattes at starbucks in the fall became a "thing".  and everyone was cheering about "PSL is here!"  it got ridiculous, and then the craze went to everything else you could possibly add pumpkin spice to.  

the thing is - it's just cinnamon, clove, ginger, sometimes  another combo - but spices you can buy anywhere, and can add to anything, and do it even if it's not fall.   it just seems ridiculous.  if you like the flavor, buy the spices - or better yet, "pumpkin pie spice"  has been sold for decades, to make measuring spices for pie easier and more economical.  the only new thing was adding it to coffee (and then to everything else).   you can actually just shake it into ALL your food if you're so inclined.  

• Love 4

As to avocado toast - yeah, yummy. but so what?   But cheap and easy to make at home, I don't get ordering it at a restaurant.   To me, it's like ordering a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, or grilled cheese - plain ordinary food I can make and eat at home.  When I go out, I want something that takes some finesse, something I don't know how to cook, or lack the equipment or the knowledge on how to purchase or prepare it. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, backformore said:

As to avocado toast - yeah, yummy. but so what?   But cheap and easy to make at home, I don't get ordering it at a restaurant.   To me, it's like ordering a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, or grilled cheese - plain ordinary food I can make and eat at home.  When I go out, I want something that takes some finesse, something I don't know how to cook, or lack the equipment or the knowledge on how to purchase or prepare it. 

Eh, I have to get an avocado sometimes at a diner if I want a bagel (not much else vegan to put on the bagel otherwise) with a side of fries. And it's awesome! And when I wasn't vegan, I liked few things more than a diner grilled cheese and french fries that I didn't have to make myself--especially at two or three in the morning, haha!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I have a food peeve (well, many, but just this one for now). Actually, it's more of a people peeve though--bacon. People who talk a lot about bacon. Bacon has been here forever yet in recent years, it has become people's go-to... thing. And they always remark about it as if it's somehow clever and unique to like bacon? Or that interjecting bacon talk into online conversations makes you delightfully quirky? And while I am not bothered by this because I don't eat meat, I am annoyed that if that's the case, people do it more--and in an even more annoying way: "But bacon." But shut up!

When people talk passionately about bacon, I immediately think of a commercial for the dog treat Beggin' Strips. The camera shows the dog's point of view--his nose is shown directly in front of of the camera's view. The dog is running through the house because he smells bacon. He's actually "smelling" the dog treats from the other end of the house. Sure. He keeps manically "talking" about bacon the whole time.

That dog's voice is what I hear when people talk about bacon.

• Love 6