Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers With Speculation

SueB
Message added by ohjoy

Please keep your speculation and comments on the end of Supernatural in the Supernatural Ending topic. Use this topic here or the Bitter Speculation topic for discussion of the upcoming season only. As always, keep Bitch vs. Jerk discussion in its own topic.

Thank you.

• Start Topic

Most long-running shows are ensemble.  They've tried with this one, but they really don't seem to write strong enough stories for Cas and Crowley and they tend to have them off on their own dealing with their own troubles.  It's most definitely a show about Sam and Dean.  There is no Scooby Gang. The Js have carried the bulk of the weight for all these years.  And we're not tired of them yet.  They're complex and compelling, and way more interesting than if they were - say - husband and wife hunting team.  But what do you do after 12 years when your main stars have growing families, lots of negotiating clout and ratings are slipping?

You write more Sam-centric and Dean-centric episodes.  

And I think Season 13 will feature less choreographed fight scenes and probably more in-studio shoots.  It is the beginning of the end for Supernatural. 

39 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

If that's true, at this rate, if J2 use future contract negotiations to get any more time Sam and Dean only MOTWs will be a thing of the past. One of Cas, Crowley, Lucifer, Rowena and Mary will have to appear in every episode to ensure J2 appear in all eps and still meet their half the schedule plus time off quota.

I've been saying for years they should use their guest cast more with the one-offs to free Jared and Jensen up. Back when we still had Kevin I couldn't believe they didn't do a couple one-offs centered around him in the bunker. Slumber Party would've been a perfect opportunity. They could've sent Sam and Dean off on a hunt while we followed Charlie and Kevin "discovering" the bunker. 

I think that's what they've been trying to do with Cass more this year. They could also use Jodi more this way. I know some people can't stand the idea of Sam and Dean not the focus of every episode, but I think it would be smarter of them to use them more wisely. As it is, their presence is being watered down. I'd prefer to have them in 12-15 really strong episodes than 23 mediocre episodes.

14 minutes ago, Bessie said:

I think there may be a larger obstacle to separating Sam and Dean than TPTB not wanting to alienate fans of the brothers' relationship and that's J2 themselves. @SueB probably has a better sense of this than I would, but I'm not so sure J2 would willingly go along with a significant portion of the season having the boys separated. 

Everything I've read indicates to me that part of the reason they've continued with the show for as long as they have is because they love doing it together. Take that away and they might decide they're done. 

To be fair, I don't think anyone is suggesting they do it for the entire season or even a long stretch of the season, but do it here and there to free up their schedules some.

However, while it's true they like working with each other, I think they like being separated at times too. It shakes things up a little bit and allows them to be challenged in different ways. When they're together all the time, it's not much of a challenge. They know each other and each other's working habits too well. They are artists, after all, so I think they like the chance to be more creative. That's not to say they want to be separated all the time, but I think they welcome the opportunity when they get the chance.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 6
12 minutes ago, Bessie said:

I think there may be a larger obstacle to separating Sam and Dean than TPTB not wanting to alienate fans of the brothers' relationship and that's J2 themselves. @SueB probably has a better sense of this than I would, but I'm not so sure J2 would willingly go along with a significant portion of the season having the boys separated. 

Everything I've read indicates to me that part of the reason they've continued with the show for as long as they have is because they love doing it together. Take that away and they might decide they're done. 

They constantly joke around saying that a particular episode is their favorite because they were off while the other is on set.  They're professionals and I'm sure they'd be fine with it for an occasional episode.  Jensen himself even said he would have liked more purgatory and Demon Dean.  Storylines which sperated the brothers.   When I say separate the brothers, I'm not talking about one ep where we barely see Sam and another where we barely see Dean.  I'm taking about them working different aspects of a hunt.  Kind of like they did in The Chitters last season.  Where we saw Sam with one hunter and Dean in another.  You can introduce new hunters for them to work with.

I'm talking maybe 3-4 eps per half season, which works out to be 6=8 ep, which is about a 3rd. 

Because right now the brothers are attached at the hip and the show really isn't focusing on them at all. 

Edited by ILoveReading
  • Love 2

I mentioned it as an unpopular opinion yesterday, but IMO the writers biggest problem with Castiel is their insistence on keeping him tied to the Angels storyline. The overall Angel storyline is tired and exhausted and when you compare the angels of recent seasons to the likes of Uriel, Zachariah, Anna etc they come up short. 

Castiel is an interesting and compelling character for many. However, he is being let down by the writers insistence on shoving him off to weak heaven based storyline with dull supporting characters. 

I think as @DittyDotDot touched on Castiel could have more entertaining storylines if he was allowed to move outside of the angels and given an opportunity to make human friends outside of the brothers. Maybe other hunters he could work general cases with, or actual interaction with existing recurring characters like Jodie etc. 

Edited by Wayward Son
  • Love 1
Just now, Wayward Son said:

I mentioned it as an unpopular opinion yesterday, but IMO the writers biggest problem with Castiel is their insistence on keeping him tied to the Angels storyline. The overall Angel storyline is tired and exhausted and when you compare the angels of recent seasons to the likes of Uriel, Zachariah, Anna etc they come up short. 

Castiel is an interesting and compelling character for many. However, he is being let down by the writers insistence on shoving him off to weak heaven based storyline with dull supporting characters. 

I think as @DittyDotDot said Castiel could have more entertaining storylines if he was allowed to make human friends outside of the brothers. Maybe other hunters he could work general cases with or actual interaction with existing recurring characters like Jodie etc. 

Yes, they really need to develop the secondary characters as full-fledged characters in their own right. I do find it interesting that Crowley has life when he's not on-screen, but Cass doesn't.  So, what I'm hoping they're trying to do with Cass this season is give him life and purpose outside of Sam and Dean. I too am tired of the recycling angel civil wars, but I still think they cold find an interesting angelic story if they must keep Cass tied to the angels. I think more than anything they just need to figure out what Cass does day to day. I guess they need to do a "Weekend at Castiel's" episode or two. 

• Love 1

I think they need to make the MotW more compelling so that it's worthwhile to spend a few scenes on just them alone (without Dean/Sam), horror movie style.

If they focus on guest stars, then I think those guest star characters need to be other hunting pairs/groups. There are plenty of other hunters who I would be interested seeing more of, within their own stories or lives, but not so much other supernatural creatures or even prophets etc.

Like, if we saw the twins on a hunt, that could be cool. Bobby and Rufus on a hunt would/has been really cool. Ellen and Jo. Hell, John and Mr. Carvell. The gay couple from a couple seasons back (forget their names, but they were great characters). I even enjoyed Gordon and his buddy, in the episode when Gordon becomes a vampire (although I liked that episode a lot in general, because I liked Gordon becoming a vampire).

I also think that if guest stars are going to carry a storyline even just within a single episode, it can't just be a lone guest star. It needs to be the guest star embedded within a life and within relationships. Like, Jodi joining the guys is OK. Jodi and Alex or Jodi and Donna or even Jodi and Asa is better IMO.

1 hour ago, SueB said:

Sounds like we should just ask at a convention.  If no one does, I promise to ask in November (that's a long time a way), but I'll be getting that VIP pass if it kills me.  So, I'll get a shot to ask. Of course, it's an awkward question: "As the seasons progress, it seems natural that you're filming schedule would adjust from what it was in the early years to provide a little stability. Do you work out something to get a "routine" set of days you film so you can organize your time or do you work out number of days and just roll with a shifting schedule to fit in both home and work?"

How's that? Subtle enough?  Too intrusive? Opinions please.  Obviously I'm counting on them spilling more than a simple yes/no. 

Honestly, I feel like that's too subtle! ;)

What about asking if they have a set number of days they are contracted to film in a season? Or even, how many days of shooting per episode they're usually on set?

I really like how you phrased this, though:  Do you work out something to get a "routine" set of days you film so you can organize your time or do you work out number of days and just roll with a shifting schedule to fit in both home and work?

I honestly think they must still be working A LOT, if Jensen was still on set 8 hours before the twins' births. I can tell you that if I were his wife, I would not have been delighted about that!

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, rue721 said:

I also think that if guest stars are going to carry a storyline even just within a single episode, it can't just be a lone guest star. It needs to be the guest star embedded within a life and within relationships. Like, Jodi joining the guys is OK. Jodi and Alex or Jodi and Donna or even Jodi and Asa is better IMO.

They should totally do another episode of Jodi and Donna hunting. They could include Claire and Alex and make it a girls night out! ;)

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, rue721 said:

There are plenty of other hunters who I would be interested seeing more of, within their own stories or lives, but not so much other supernatural creatures or even prophets etc.

I feel like this show has lost the focus of not just Sam and Dean but also on hunting.  I don't want to watch the brothers use ray guys and bug bombs.  The blue collar aspect was a huge appeal of the show in the beginning.

I'd like to see other hunters.  I really liked some of the ones they introduced in the Asa Fox episode.  I thought an interesting episode would be to bring back Bucky.  I don't think he was horrible, he was a coward.  Imagine an episode where Sam or Dean is in peril and for....reasons....Bucky is the only hunter around for back up.  How would Sam or Dean handle knowing their brother's fate was in his hands.  It would be an episode where you separate the brothers, still showcase their protective instincts toward one another and allow Bucky to redeem himself (or even fail again if the writers really want to throw a wrench into the plot).

I wouldn't even mind more flashback episodes.  (I still want to see an episode where Dean has to deal with child protective services).

A flashback to John's first hunt.  I adore Matt Cohen if JDM isn't available. 

IMO, if the writers put a little more thought an effort into things there are still lots of ways to focus on the Winchesters and compensate for their time off.

• Love 3

Oh just to expand on what I said about making the MotW more compelling -- in Skin, the shifter is compelling and creepy just on his own, so it's interesting to watch a few scenes of just him (or him with his victims). They could even have gone a bit more in-depth with him if they'd wanted IMO. (Of course that was still Jensen playing him, LOL. But theoretically, they could do cool non-J2-played villains, too, I think).

I don't actually think that in the first season of the show, J2 are necessarily on screen THAT much more than they are now. It seems to me that a lot of what is now thrown together as dull expository scenes, with J2 standing around in their FBI suits or whatever, used to be shown with just the Monster-or-Victim of the Week in the scene(s), more horror-movie-style.

If the MotW is possessed WiFi or something equally boring and stupid, then that's not possible, of course. I think that if the show upped their MotW game and put more effort into exploring the overall world of SPN, though, they could get by on as much or possibly even less J2 than they have now.

I don't really think that more focus on the supernaturals (as opposed to the hunters or victims) is really ever going to get traction, though. Non-human characters are OK, but it's the human PARTS of even those characters or their lives that are interesting and that have a real place on SPN IMO.

As long as Cas and Crowley's stories are fundamentally about them being an angel and a demon (respectively), their place on the show will always be "added color," and they won't be able to carry on a mytharc or even the A-plot of an episode IMO. Some of my opinion is based on my perspective that the only time that I think that Cas has successfully carried the A-plot of episodes is when he was human, though. And the reason that Crowley has never successfully done that is because he has never been fully human. Although I think that his scenes during his cure were unusually compelling for him, natch. YMMV.

3 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

Bucky is the only hunter around for back up.  How would Sam or Dean handle knowing their brother's fate was in his hands.  It would be an episode where you separate the brothers, still showcase their protective instincts toward one another and allow Bucky to redeem himself (or even fail again if the writers really want to throw a wrench into the plot).

I agree.

I also think, though, that Bucky is most interesting in his relation to what happened with Asa, so even then, IMO it would work even better if he showed up with a new (and possibly especially vulnerable) partner in tow.

I really think the writers need to invest in the world of the show more (the world that Sam and Dean are a part of, but that doesn't revolve around them), and one way to do that IMO is to create side characters that feel like they have their own lives and relationships outside of Sam and Dean (and even outside of the supernatural, ideally).

• Love 3

Whilst they are sort of joined at the hip as best friends and co-workers and they both talk about "Yay Brothers" at cons I think at times that is PR and Con chat that plays to the brothers audience but it is not necessarily the full truth.

It's interesting to me that the plot lines that Jensen and Jared both mention as their favs or ones they regret not lasting longer are often with the brothers separated physically and emotionally and with other characters for several episodes, i.e. Jensen mentions the shortened Purgatory SL and his friendship with Benny and the shortened demon!Dean with Crowley and demon!Dean on his own.  Jared speaks of loving the Soulless Sam arc .I don't think either want the brothers  separated for an entire season. I do think they are savvy actors and they know that a good story can also include separation which creates dramatic tension and anticipation of when and how they will be reunited.  And as actors they can stretch different acting muscles with other actors.

• Love 3

Is this still the only promo out for Ladies Drink Free?

19 minutes ago, rue721 said:

I don't actually think that in the first season of the show, J2 are necessarily on screen THAT much more than they are now. It seems to me that a lot of what is now thrown together as dull expository scenes, with J2 standing around in their FBI suits or whatever, used to be shown with just the Monster-or-Victim of the Week in the scene(s), more horror-movie-style.

I agree. That's why I think it would be smart to start using the guest cast more in the one-offs. I think if they weren't being hampered by the time constraints with Jared and Jensen it would--almost by default--make the episodes more compelling. They would be allowed to spend time shooting a lot of the scenes that we only are told about after the fact now. 

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, SueB said:

"As the seasons progress, it seems natural that you're filming schedule would adjust from what it was in the early years to provide a little stability. Do you work out something to get a "routine" set of days you film so you can organize your time or do you work out number of days and just roll with a shifting schedule to fit in both home and work?"

I'd say try to make it into one sentence, or 2 short sentences. It's easier to get cut off or have them answer the wrong question if it's too subtle.

@SueB:

How about straight to the point, without sounding challenging:

We understand how hard it is to spend so much time away from your families and how complicated it must be to make plans around your filming schedule.  Do you have a set schedule of days per episode for filming, or just a particular number of days per season so you can spend more time on one episode when needed, and less on another?

Is this what you were wanting to ask?  I hope I didn't change the question...

Edited by ahrtee
forgot to address it
1 minute ago, goldy said:

Looks like Mary is in episode 21:

For that particular blocking that's neither Jared nor Jensen as their marks are blue and red. Now I want to know who is green and who is yellow.  For some reason I want to say that yellow is Misha?

1 hour ago, ILoveReading said:

It would be an episode where you separate the brothers, still showcase their protective instincts toward one another and allow Bucky to redeem himself (or even fail again if the writers really want to throw a wrench into the plot).

Or if they want to sacrifice another hunter for the BMoL, let it be Bucky.  (RIP Wally.)

I had an odd - discomforting - thought while thinking about the final episodes and who is supposed to be in them; specifically Mary and Lady#&@!.  There was also some speculation that Lady SoDisgustingshedoesn'tevenreallydeserveanickname would get redeemed somehow.  And Mary would/will get redeemed from her mistaken foray into collaborating with the BMoL.  So...you don't think the show would have Mary and Lady Ol'What'shername bond over wanting to make the world a safer place for their sons, do you?  I hope not.

HA! My sleuthing pays off.  Misha's mark is yellow in this set pic.

So the next question then is do they reuse colors for other actors if a particular actor is not on set for that day? If not does this mean Misha and Samantha are in scenes together?

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

HA! My sleuthing pays off.  Misha's mark is yellow in this set pic.

So the next question then is do they reuse colors for other actors if a particular actor is not on set for that day? If not does this mean Misha and Samantha are in scenes together?

Maybe it's the scene where Mary and Cas discuss their night of passion while the boys were in jail :p 

Edited by Wayward Son
  • Love 1

Here's another pic from SPN tape ball, showing green tape but I can't figure what the scene was...

hmmm. This is from the premiere I think..

Maybe it's the scene where Mary and Cas discuss their night of passion while the boys were in jail :p 

LOOOL I kid you not...

I was looking at the placement of the tape on that floor and I thought ...wait a minute those are pretty close together.  But that doesn't mean anything because they may not be in the scene at the same time and the tape is their for blocking purposes. And its one or the other going to and from that desk possibly at different times or one follows the other. 

Or it's my worst nightmare, non Dean and Crowley sex scenes division LOL

23 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Here's another pic from SPN tape ball, showing green tape but I can't figure what the scene was...

hmmm. This is from the premiere I think..

It could be from Lily Sunder Has Some Regrets. Is that the same video game the angel was playing at the top of the episode?

BTW: Mark is standing on a red mark in that other picture and so is Jared. Never mind, apparently Mark's marks are orange not red...that dress was blue, BTW. ;)

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1

Okay for our future reference LOL Bless SPN Tape Ball for helping us figure out spoilers.

Blue = Dean
Red = Sam
Yellow = Misha

OrangeyRed = Crowley
Pink = Rowena??

If this is from LOTUS?

2 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

t could be from Lily Sunder Has Some Regrets. Is that the same video game the angel was playing at the top of the episode?

Oh. I forgot about that. I was trying to figure out which episode had a video game. 

Maybe green is reserved for the guest actor of the day and it changes?

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I was looking at the placement of the tape on that floor and I thought ...wait a minute those are pretty close together.  But that doesn't mean anything because they may not be in the scene at the same time and the tape is their for blocking purposes.

It does seem like A LOT of marks, right? Looks like it's going to be a talky scene with lots of pacing around to "create movement" IMO.

Thanks to your tapeball research, now we know for sure that Mark and Jared aren't colorblind. Their marks are orange-y red and less orange-y red respectively? Yikes LOL.

• Love 2

@ahrtee   If I'm lucky to get the VIP, you are sitting like within 3 feet of their face.  I'll walk on eggshells so to keep it all happy happy.  See, I personally relate to the issue.  I commute east coast/west coast and random schedule is so much harder than routine schedule.  So... I've got 8 months to que it up.  I'll give it a good think.

As for what they are doing, I think "the boys" relationship is central to the show. I think they just are allergic to separating them.  

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, SueB said:

As for what they are doing, I think "the boys" relationship is central to the show. I think they just are allergic to separating them.

The relationship is still central and it was kept central in the past despite the separations. Even in s8, it was the separation that drove the story. It might not have been a pleasant story or particularly well told but it still was about the brothers.

Jensen and Jared don't seem particularly averse given the plotlines they either enjoyed or wanted to see go longer. Jensen mentioned in s6 the difficulty of playing Dean with Soulless Sam because it was so different than regular!Sam. Maybe now he's changed and finds it more invigorating than upsetting.  I dunno. I just think as long as they can find a way to write it well it can be done.  YMMV

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

I mean Misha does seem to ship Marstiel! Or would Casary be a better ship name? Give us some variety haha

Just watched that interview @Wayward Son. Misha Collins always comes across as such a great guy IMO.

It's funny, Cas seems so played out to me, but I always like Misha. I wish that he could just play himself on the show somehow or something LOL

Interesting tweets from DHJ aka Mr. Ketch. He is really engaged with fans. Kind of interesting to see this poor guys intro into SPN fandom.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 2

Thoughtful answer to the query about his thoughts on Dean. It Makes sense for a character like Ketch to feel that way. 

Although David must be one of those who feel Sam and Dean the individuals don't exist and only the collective Sam!Dean exist as a question about Dean was suddenly turned into an answer about them. 

• Love 1

Thoughtful answer to the query about his thoughts on Dean. It Makes sense for a character like Ketch to feel that way. 

Although David must be one of those who feel Sam and Dean the individuals don't exist and only the collective Sam!Dean exist as a question about Dean was suddenly turned into an answer about them. 

Or he's already been introduced to the factions on Twitter that demand it, so he's taking the politically expedient way to answer and save himself countless replies to his tweets. LOL

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Or he's already been introduced to the factions on Twitter that demand it, so he's taking the politically expedient way to answer and save himself countless replies to his tweets. LOL

It could be that. I just honestly found it eye roll worthy! I mean I'm more of a Sam than a Dean fan, so it's not like I'd resent general mentions of Sam, but I found the random inclusion weird. Sam wasn't even with them on the vampire hunt for Ketch to gain an opinion of LOL

It could be that. I just honestly found it eye roll worthy! I mean I'm more of a Sam than a Dean fan, so it's not like I'd resent general mentions of Sam, but I found the random inclusion weird. Sam wasn't even with them on the vampire hunt for Ketch to gain an opinion of LOL

Yeah I thought it was weird too, but given the inevitable questions of "What about the other one!" "Don't you love the other one". "They are always a team" he's probably like, 'Imma just take the easy route from now on. LOL'

He tweeted a bit about Dean when he was live tweeting the episode.

I thought this was pretty funny

• Love 1

I'm posting this under spoilers because Jensen was a tattoo place .Now I don't know if got a tattoo, or there with someone else, but I swear I thought he said he would never get a tattoo until the show was over, or am I confused?  Or is he sporting tats already in places we don't see?

Just now, MysteryGuest said:

Maybe it was Danneel getting the tattoo.  I think she already has at least one.

Ah. Thats why I said I didn't know if it was him or someone else. I didn't realize Danneel had tattoos but that makes sense.  Ah well. nothing to see here then. LOL

1 minute ago, catrox14 said:

Ah. Thats why I said I didn't know if it was him or someone else. I didn't realize Danneel had tattoos but that makes sense.  Ah well. nothing to see here then. LOL

Honestly, I have no idea.  I know that she has one, but doesn't it seem weird that you'd take your 3 year old with you to get a tattoo?  Maybe they were there for some other reason altogether.  I guess we'll find out, because I'm sure someone will mention it at the next con.

Honestly, I have no idea.  I know that she has one, but doesn't it seem weird that you'd take your 3 year old with you to get a tattoo?  Maybe they were there for some other reason altogether.  I guess we'll find out, because I'm sure someone will mention it at the next con.

You think they took JJ? Why do you think so

That's her sitting on the couch in the background of the picture.

I didn't even notice the kid. I wouldn't know if that was JJ or not. Good spot! Now I feel bad for posting the pic. I didn't realize that was JJ.

SECRETS AND LIES – Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) investigate a missing person’s case in a small town. The lead witness tells the Winchesters the attacker was a man with the head of a goat. Sam and Dean aren’t sure what to believe but when the witness goes missing they realize the town is hiding a dark secret. Phil Sgriccia directed the episode written by John Bring (#1218). Original airdate 4/13/2017.

http://www.thetvaddict.com/2017/03/27/the-cw-teasers-dark-secrets-on-supernatural-archies-mom-on-riverdale-and-more/

12 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

My honest reaction to reading that was "meh". It really doesn't make me interested in finding out more about the episode at all! Let's hope the episode itself is good :)

I was wondering why this sounded familiar

Sam and Dean investigate a case that leads them to a devout religious family living off the grid. They realize the parents are hiding a huge secret that could destroy them all.

It's basically the ep description of American Nightmare. 

I wonder where Dean is going to wonder off to this week.

1 minute ago, ILoveReading said:

I was wondering why this sounded familiar

It's basically the ep description of American Nightmare. 

I wonder where Dean is going to wonder off to this week.

Maybe we'll get lucky and Dean will be permitted to stay? According to the wiki the only other ep written by Bring was Beyond the Mat. If I remember correctly, it wasn't the most fantastic episode over, but it generally treated Dean with respect? 

43 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

Maybe we'll get lucky and Dean will be permitted to stay? According to the wiki the only other ep written by Bring was Beyond the Mat. If I remember correctly, it wasn't the most fantastic episode over, but it generally treated Dean with respect? 

In general, I liked Beyond the Mat.I think in general it was good for Dean. He was like a kid, fanboyed over Gunnar, played around in the ring.  got drunk with Gunnar and the wrestlers trying to figure out who was the demon. I felt bad when Gunnar turned on Dean and thought it was odd that Dean was like "he was a good guy and didn't deserve it" at the end. There was some good stuff between Casifer and Crowley with the hand of God even though I never understood how Crowley could touch a hand of God and it not kill him.  That's probably my biggest quibble with the episode.  But I can't say it was a bad episode.

I thought Bring did well with characterization of everyone in the episode, which I take character over plot if I must.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1