Type keyword(s) to search

S25: Maksim Chmerkovskiy

• Start Topic

(edited)

This whole "beauty and the beast", "good girls changing bad boys" theme that was established by the editing and the media who ran with it was IMO supremely irksome. And in general it's just a dangerous, creepy, unhealthy narrative to push. Also not what I saw taking place in the dance partnership at all. Meryl repeatedly spoke up against it, Maks was visibly irritated that this was being pushed and expanded on other reasons for his changed attitude (like in the TV Guide interview). He credited her with being a calming, stabilizing influence and praised her incredible work ethic. Something much more limited and nuanced IMO. At the end of the day he probably also thought that it was still the lesser of two evils when it came to media portrayal for him, the alternative would have most likely been "Bad boy dancer intimidates tiny ice princess". Something with the potential to be much more toxic for him PR-wise.

But it was interesting what was seeping out in some of the packages and interviews that went against the established script. Meryl's injuries. How not standing up for herself seems to be a bit of a problem for her in the context of rehearsal (going against the "super Meryl can handle anything" theme established). She apparently also had some sort of meltdown towards the end of the run, but that didn't suit the narrative, so it wasn't shown. She had food poisoning the day before the finale, not shown. Exhausting travelling and SOI schedule, not shown. She also admitted after her win that she was exhausted the last few weeks in particular and that Maks made adjustments to training accordingly, also never shown.

I followed both Charlie and Sharna and M/M beyond the stuff shown on the live show, and it's really quite startling how much editing/cutting is being used on the show to shape perception. I mean, I'm aware of that in theory, but to see it play out "for real" is still something else. For all that I thought C/S were a bit too smooth in their media handling, I thought it was nonsense that they got the "too boring" edit in the packages. TPTB probably just didn't know what to do with them because they didn't fit one of their melodrama angles. And it was equally irritating to see what I thought were quite interesting and complex dynamics between M/M reduced to "beauty and the beast".

Edited by katha
  • Love 3
She apparently also had some sort of meltdown towards the end of the run, but that didn't suit the narrative, so it wasn't shown. She had food poisoning the day before the finale, not shown. Exhausting travelling and SOI schedule, not shown. She also admitted after her win that she was exhausted the last few weeks in particular and that Maks made adjustments to training accordingly, also never shown.

I think all of that stuff could have been mentioned and her stoic response would have made her seem even more impressive.  It's only if she'd cried over it and milked it that it would have ruined the narrative.  People who knew the extent of her traveling, and about her two broken toes and about her food poisoning were even more amazed that she would show up full of energy and give an amazing performance on Mondays.

I think it was Meryl's decision to keep those things quiet.  The only time she got caught on camera with an injury was when she hurt her wrist and she immediately took it off camera.  There's a theory in figure skating that if you let the judges know you have an injury, they'll look for it and think you skated poorly even if you didn't, so you try to keep the injuries to yourself.  I think Meryl didn't want people looking at her performance and going, "Yeah, she does look tired." 

It happened to Charlie - I totally saw people saying after his "I'm so exhausted from SOI" package that his footwork wasn't sharp and the choreography seemed to be too much for him, and it was probably because he was so tired.  I also think his paso wouldn't have come off as so desperate if it hadn't been for the package where he seemed to be desperate for 10's.

• Love 2

Since there's been much talk of Lizzie Grubman on this board, I thought I'd drop this radio interview Maks did today with a Texas radio station. They were talking about whether or not he'd be back next season, he was basically saying probably not, but there are other factors etc., and one of the hosts said “This goes along with my theory that if you don't come back it's because you and Meryl are going to go buy an island somewhere and just go live happily ever after.” Lizzie interrupted, said let's move to the next question, and the hosts just jumped all over her, said they would kill the interview and wouldn't promote Ballroom With a Twist, etc. She relented, the interview continued, but it was pretty awful.

http://kvil.cbslocal.com/2014/06/03/audio-interview-with-dwts-champ-max-chmerkovskiy/

Yeah no, I don't feel sorry for Maks here and Lizzie was her usual shitty PR Pro self (seriously, she didn't actually get a degree or anything for this right because she sucks at it). Typical Maks and what I and others said all during the season - he rode that showmance all the way to the trophy and now that the season's over, he's won, all of a sudden Lizzie wants to get all bitchy at interviewers when it's brought up in an interview and act like it's something they're so offended at being discussed? Spare me...

• Love 2
(edited)

Oof, the hosts were pretty playful so I think Maks could have handled that just fine. Not sure what she was doing with that awkward as hell interruption.

Because she sucks. Seriously, when the woman's highest profile client is Maks who no offense, is no B-List or hell even C-List celebrity, what does that tell you. She has a horrible reputation in the industry and no one respects her as a legitimate publicist like say the Kevin Euvane's of the industry.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

Because she sucks. Seriously, when the woman's highest profile client is Maks who no offense, is no B-List or hell even C-List celebrity, what does that tell you. She has a horrible reputation in the industry and no one respects her as a legitimate publicist like say the Kevin Euvane's of the industry.

I think that's one reason why the radio hosts just immediately got on her case about it. I got the sense they had absolutely no respect for her.

Yeah no, I don't feel sorry for Maks here and Lizzie was her usual shitty PR Pro self (seriously, she didn't actually get a degree or anything for this right because she sucks at it). Typical Maks and what I and others said all during the season - he rode that showmance all the way to the trophy and now that the season's over, he's won, all of a sudden Lizzie wants to get all bitchy at interviewers when it's brought up in an interview and act like it's something they're so offended at being discussed? Spare me...

I think Lizzy Grubman seems to be pretty sketchy and that interruption was handled unprofessionally, but considering that Maks posted this pic of him with Meryl last night in NYC, maybe it was in reaction to off-limits questions about Mak's private life.  

(edited)

That picture has nothing to do with my point.  He has taken many pictures, with many of his celebrity partners in the weeks, sometimes months after their season ends. But the point remains that this is the normal ammo with Maks - play up the showmance all while the season is airing, play coy and cheeky and once it's over, suddenly he is the most private person in the world and doesn't like questions about his personal life. Yeah whatever...

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I don't think it was a 'showmance". YMMV. Maks has said several times that he won't talk about his private life. The question about Meryl wasn't about how the two of them got along on the show, it was about the future - and was just a joke which is why Lizzie should have let it go and not acted like they were asking Maks to reveal state secrets. If there is something going on between Meryl and Maks, the question is personal. That's my point. 

I think Lizzie was on edge about Maks basically confirming he wasn't coming back to DWTS, and then when the female host went all shippery Lizzie got annoyed and wanted them to get on with the interview. There was some annoyance at her(since no one likes her it seems) but she got the host to move directly to talking about Ballroom with a twist and Maks's star.

I think Lizzy Grubman seems to be pretty sketchy and that interruption was handled unprofessionally, but considering that Maks posted this pic of him with Meryl last night in NYC, maybe it was in reaction to off-limits questions about Mak's private life.

If Maks's private life is off limits, then he shouldn't post pictures like that which do nothing but stir it all up again. But Maks knows that very well. And so does Lizzie.

• Love 1

Well Maks posted this picture with Kate Upton a few days ago. He had it up on Instagram but removed it. It's still up on Facebook. Not all pictures are meant for shippers ;)

10336832_795139383831257_184681742413563

Maks is friendly with his exs and most of his former partners :)

Maks and Meryl are pretty together. 

• Love 1

Maks needs to do it the Meryl and Charlie way ;)

http://cw23.com/2014...-charlie-white/

Ha, I just said the same thing over in the Meryl thread. Should have come to the Maks thread first! 

That interview interruption was bizarro and totally unnecessary since Maks has been answering this question just fine for weeks. 

• Love 1

The pros seem competitive, but generally respectful and on friendly terms with each other. In stark contrast to some of the fanbases, heh. Maks has talked about now  understanding the difference between "almost winning" the show and winning the show. How he admires that Derek has been able to do it that often. Seems straightforward enough to me. I saw the difference in his approach this time, there wasn't inconsistency in his choreography, there was a clear plan in place how he wanted to present them each week, how to capitalize on Meryl's strengths, how to pace her correctly and take her SOI performances and traveling schedule under consideration, there was no self-sabotage (Meryl's healthier approach to competition helped there), he didn't screw up the freestyle etc. Derek and Maks may also have bonded a bit over the team dance (according to Pure they both took lead on choreography, and since they hate Maks with the fire of a thousand suns over there I'm inclined to believe it if they give him credit for anything...) and over their mutual loathing of Abby Lee Miller LOL.

Here's a nice interview he did in Chicago yesterday: http://windycitylive.com/video?id=9539866

I always find it fascinating when he talks about his experiences as an immigrant. It seems so harrowing to me, coming to the USA not speaking the language, no financial security. Didn't he basically start working and supporting his family as a young teenager? And of course when he talks about having friends, relatives in Ukraine still...all of that was probably to some degree also on his mind during this DWTS season. He has worked hard and achieved a lot already and I find that very admirable. Don't know, it just really struck me with this interview...

• Love 6
(edited)

I always find it fascinating when he talks about his experiences as an immigrant. It seems so harrowing to me, coming to the USA not speaking the language, no financial security. Didn't he basically start working and supporting his family as a young teenager? And of course when he talks about having friends, relatives in Ukraine still...all of that was probably to some degree also on his mind during this DWTS season. He has worked hard and achieved a lot already and I find that very admirable. Don't know, it just really struck me with this interview...

You should have seen him when he did the Ukrainian version of The Bachelor a few years ago.  He took the Final 3 back to his old neighborhood in Ukraine for his hometown dates, and I could see that he was really moved seeing the house he lived in and the school where he first studied dancing through adult eyes.  He said that it was the first time in his life that he really understood what life was like for his parents and why his father finally made the difficult decision to uproot the family and move to the US for a better life.

By the way, you can still catch the episodes of his season of Ukrainian Bachelor on YouTube starting here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnvMojyj9Js  It's in Russian, but there is a full translation in the Comments section -- or at least there was.  Comments seem to be disabled now, darn it!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 2

Speaking of Liz, she's been all over Meryl, liking Instagram pictures, retweeting Meryl's tweets like crazy, talking about her even about things that don't involve Maks. If I didn't know any better, I would swear she was trying to gain a new client, hopefully IMG is telling Meryl to stay the hell away from her.

• Love 3

The much more reliable People Magazine is reporting it now too.  They've been "talking".  http://www.people.co...im-chmerkovskiy

It actually sounds more to me like JLo's people planted that one.  Maybe JLo thinks he's worthy of a rumor since he won the MBT.

Oh Maks, Meryl is a major step up from JLo in terms of genuineness and class.  It seems to me that if he gets involved with Ms. Lopez, it will be a replay of his time with Karina.  That went real well!

(edited)

FYI, the link above does not work. It takes you to the first page of this thread. If (big IF) J-Lo's camp is actually the one behind the People story, I can only conclude it's because she wants to distract people from all the talk of her and recent ex breaking up because he was sexting two transgender women. Because I highly doubt J-Lo would need to use Maks for publicity and/or press.

Also if this is true - careful Maks, between Kate Upton and now J-Lo, you're on way to Julianne territory there. Meanwhile, how are the Meryl and Maks shippers taking this one? Man it's turning out to be a hard week for people who ship Meryl with someone what with Charlie getting engaged and now this Maks and J-Lo story.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

FYI, the link above does not work. It takes you to the first page of this thread. If (big IF) J-Lo's camp is actually the one behind the People story, I can only conclude it's because she wants to distract people from all the talk of her and recent ex breaking up because he was sexting two transgender women. Because I highly doubt J-Lo would need to use Maks for publicity and/or press.

Also if this is true - careful Maks, between Kate Upton and now J-Lo, you're on way to Julianne territory there. Meanwhile, how are the Meryl and Maks shippers taking this one? Man it's turning out to be a hard week for people who ship Meryl with someone what with Charlie getting engaged and now this Maks and J-Lo story.

Meryl and Maks shippers run the gamut from panicked to dubious about the J Lo rumor. Personally, since I'm willing to admit I think Meryl and Maks do have something going on, if this J Lo thing is true then I will hope that I was wrong, because Meryl doesn't deserve that.  I'd lose respect for Maks and question his judgment. I'm inclined to think this is a load of codswallop, however. Apparently, the same rumor was circulation in April when Maks was traveling with Meryl and debunked; unless Maks and JLo worked something out when Maks was in LA for the 5 minutes on Sundays that he wasn't occupied with the show. It's probably inconvenient that this rumor broke when Maks is in India where he's not available to confirm or deny the rumor.

if this J Lo thing is true then I will hope that I was wrong, because Meryl doesn't deserve that.  I'd lose respect for Maks and question his judgment.

Well I guess it's a good thing I'm one of those who don't and never have thought anything was going on between Meryl and Maks other than competing together on DWTS, so much as I rag on Maks, if this J-Lo thing turns out to hold some water, I wouldn't worry about poor Meryl's heart since I doubt she'd care.

• Love 2

The only sighting of Maks with J Lo was in March. I get that publicists do plant stories, but I also get that blogs and websites need page views which is why they'll post gossip about celebrities. There are a lot of people who can benefit from celebrity gossip, so I don't always see the point in trying to figure out who is pushing the story. Maks and J Lo do have a legitimate connection through Leah Remini and it's very possible that they've become friends. Maybe, as People says, they've been talking because they get along well. I don't see a problem with Maks spending time with her.

For me, the better Maks news this week is that Hillary Clinton was rooting for him last season: video.

Also, Maks is in India to judge their version of DWTS. Here's gma talking about it and a video clip from India. I'm looking forward to seeing the full show. It should be fun to see Maks as a judge and to compare the US version to the Indian version of DWTS.

• Love 1

While I think Meryl and Maks would be an interesting pair I don't see how it could happen. I mean, they can barely schedule time to be on the same continent together, much less the same city. He's in India right now and she's in Hawaii. Then he'll be doing rehearsals for Sway while Meryl and Charlie will be in Japan for a few weeks doing a touring ice show. Then I believe Maks will be on the road again doing Ballroom With A Twist while Meryl says she wants to do a few more classes for school (she's still only a junior) along with a few other skating shows already scheduled for M/C. Their schedules are insane and don't exactly encourage anything romantically.

Meryl and Maks both have pre-existing commitments until the end of July, but that's it.  Maks isn't going back to DWTS, Meryl's retired from competition.  She said she's going to be finishing college via online classes, and skating shows are not that demanding.  Hypothetically, if they wanted to pursue a relationship, they could work out their schedules.  If they don't want to pursue a relationship, I think it's because one or both of them just doesn't like the other that way.

Speaking of Liz, she's been all over Meryl, liking Instagram pictures, retweeting Meryl's tweets like crazy, talking about her even about things that don't involve Maks. If I didn't know any better, I would swear she was trying to gain a new client, hopefully IMG is telling Meryl to stay the hell away from her.

Lizzie will follow, like or retweet anyone who gets Maks publicity. She was all over Kirstie Alley like white on rice after his first season with her, publicizing every single thing she did with or without Maks. And Kirstie was never her client.

Inconvenient? More like exactly as planned. What better way to keep people guessing?

Ding ding ding. Perfectly timed. On purpose.

Maks isn't going back to DWTS

He's not? I haven't heard that. Just his usual double talk like we get from him after every season about how he's probably not going back but not quite closing the door in case nothing else is going on for him. Besides, if Len does retire, Maks will relocate himself permanently into that chair until they give him the job. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Here are some more photos from India: http://www.fuzionproductions.com/international-choreographer-maksim-chmerkovskiy-arrives-jhalak-dikhhla-jaa-backstage-pics/

It looks like fun! (-:

As for the various dating rumours...eh, that's just how that works, doesn't it? Gossip rags have to write something, various publicists and stars have different agendas, denying has never actually helped with anything. People who dislike those celebrities take it as fodder, people who like them think it's cute or shrug their shoulders. I hope that and Charlie's engagement will discourage some of the people who are really projecting all sorts of things into Meryl, though I doubt it. )-: I fear it will do the opposite and just fuel their rage...sigh.

ETA: I don't know if this is the right place for it, but it's kind of interesting looking at it from a "sociology of psychotic fandom" point of view IMO. I've been a D/W fan for years, and all the shippers coming in after the Olympics are sort of strange to me. And the way they make out Meryl as someone who has been secretly pining away for years after Charlie is scary. As is their hatred for Tanith and her supposedly gold-digging ways. Then the M/M shippers who really latched onto that "beauty and the beast" stupidity it seems and now feel betrayed that Maks isn't pining away on twitter or something? And has loads of female acquaintances? And work commitments? Being just a fan of D/W and Maks these days is really hard work, because you have to wade through all the hateful nonsense. Is it a tumblr thing? Idk...I just want pretty pictures, but there's always something creepy going on somewhere these days...

Edited by katha
  • Love 4

The only sighting of Maks with J Lo was in March. I get that publicists do plant stories, but I also get that blogs and websites need page views which is why they'll post gossip about celebrities. There are a lot of people who can benefit from celebrity gossip, so I don't always see the point in trying to figure out who is pushing the story. Maks and J Lo do have a legitimate connection through Leah Remini and it's very possible that they've become friends. Maybe, as People says, they've been talking because they get along well. I don't see a problem with Maks spending time with her.

For me, the better Maks news this week is that Hillary Clinton was rooting for him last season: video.

Also, Maks is in India to judge their version of DWTS. Here's gma talking about it and a video clip from India. I'm looking forward to seeing the full show. It should be fun to see Maks as a judge and to compare the US version to the Indian version of DWTS.

Based on what Hilary Clinton actually said, I wouldn't say that she's a fangirl for Maks.  She just said that she was relieved that he finally won.  Which I'm sure is how everyone else felt.

Based on what Hilary Clinton actually said, I wouldn't say that she's a fangirl for Maks.  She just said that she was relieved that he finally won.  Which I'm sure is how everyone else felt.

I never said she was a fangirl. She was asked to pick Derek or Maks and she said she was happy Maks won. Of course she was diplomatic about it and said she liked them both. It's still good for Maks that Diane Sawyer even brought up Maks (and Derek) in an interview like that. Having Hillary say she likes him and was happy for his win has to be cool for Maks too.

• Love 1
I never said she was a fangirl. She was asked to pick Derek or Maks and she said she was happy Maks won.

Yeah, is it not possible for Maks to get any kind of compliment without it being discounted or pooh-poohed?  Nobody said Hilary was starting a tumblr devoted to Maks, she just said something nice about his win.

• Love 1

Hilary also has a connection to Maks as he choreographed Chelsea's wedding dance.

I never said she was a fangirl. She was asked to pick Derek or Maks and she said she was happy Maks won. Of course she was diplomatic about it and said she liked them both. It's still good for Maks that Diane Sawyer even brought up Maks (and Derek) in an interview like that. Having Hillary say she likes him and was happy for his win has to be cool for Maks too.

She said that she was relieved that he finally won.  Seemed like she was more worried for Maks' sanity since he placed so much value on winning that mirror ball.  Doesn't seem like much of a compliment to me.

Yeah, is it not possible for Maks to get any kind of compliment without it being discounted or pooh-poohed?  Nobody said Hilary was starting a tumblr devoted to Maks, she just said something nice about his win.

Not when Maks fans want to declare Hillary Clinton mentioning him as some kind of a victory.

So I guess Maks fans should declare Hillary Clinton's comments a loss? Bah. Some people won't let Maks have any sort of victory. She said she watched it faithfully and was rooting for him. I'd take that any day. Not sure why it's even being debated!

• Love 8