Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: Episode One

maraleia

Sean (Stephen Mangan) and Beverly’s (Tamsin Greig) Hollywood career refuses to die, as they’re dragged back from London to make six more episodes of “Pucks!”. Matt gets some very disturbing news about his finances. Carol (Kathleen Rose Perkins) once again lobbies to run the network.

• Love 1

Guess it will always center around Pucks, not this other script that they had?

But how else would they keep the gang together unless that albatross is still alive.

The read through scene was brilliant. So many glum, depressed faces, and no one was hiding it. 

I love how "Matt Le Blanc" said in a furious voice is considered a valid reason for entering the US. Although this one wasn't his fault, because he wanted Pucks gone too.

The difference in perspective between Matt and Sean/Beverly was well done, and just shows how different their existences have been. Matt is so good at combining douchey and sympathetic, and you can't help but love him even as he's being completely self-centred and idiotic. He's also really good at playing drunk.

And I still love Kathleen Rose Perkins. She's so funny, and absolutely nails that neediness and desperate desire to please and impress. I'd really like to see her succeed a little this season. And man, she's hot.

Morning: "Does no one remember my fucking show?!"

Very Old Man: "I do."

Also, I kind of want to watch Wright & Wong. But "maybe I don't know what racist is."

• Love 6

I like how they have consistently played Sean and Bev as having interlapping but diverse reactions to, and yens about, "the giraffe" that is big money entertainment industry success.  It seems realistic and embedded in each character, so that when Sean finally succumbed to The Monster's arguments, I sympathized with both partners.  

I'd have liked for Matt to shrug that of course he only placed up to one-half of his stash in the hands of one guy; of course he knew enough to invest the other half elsewhere.  Just to give The Monster a little more credibility as a counselor to the modestly endowed.  

And I still love Kathleen Rose Perkins. She's so funny, and absolutely nails that neediness and desperate desire to please and impress.

She's the virtuoso of that, isn't she.  An original.  It's still almost literally a shock to the system to see that persona captured (just barely) within the screen, with so much verve.  Like other breakthrough comic depictions of people we all knew but had never seen portrayed.

• Love 7

I found myself missing the woman that just groans and grimaces all the time in that hilarious way.  Was she there and I missed her? She was the partner to the guy that sucks up all the time. I'm sorry that I can't remember her name.

Also, did anyone else have flashback to the Friends episode in which Monica and Chandler get married but Joey can't leave the set because Gary Oldman was drunk?

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

I found myself missing the woman that just groans and grimaces all the time in that hilarious way. Was she there and I missed her? She was the partner to the guy that sucks up all the time. I'm sorry that I can't remember her name.

Myra! I missed her too. I hope she's returning, the hilarious moron.

So glad the show is back too and it didn't disappoint. Can't Sean and Bev write into their contract that they can't change the majority of the plots/writing/characters if so many networks really wants to do it? Or is that just not done?

• Love 1

So glad the show is back too and it didn't disappoint. Can't Sean and Bev write into their contract that they can't change the majority of the plots/writing/characters if so many networks really wants to do it? Or is that just not done?

I would think they could contract for some degree of "creative control," but no idea how that works in practice.

• Love 2

I would think that their best bet would be to get as much money as possible for the rights to their script, and get signed on as 'consultants' or producers rather than writers. That way, they make the money and don't have to deal with the hassle. They'd just need to develop a detachment from their script so they don't lose their minds when typical US Network writers start mangling it.

Then maybe write a movie script or two, and try to flog them if their cred is temporarily high due to this supposedly wonderful piece of work that everyone wants.

• Love 3

That's an excellent suggestion, Danny Franks, and Carol even floated it to them last season -- back then, Sean refused.  "If it's our show, it's going to be our show."  But now that they have experienced even one night of London, and one more day of Hollywood, they might at least try to decide that selling this show is not selling their child.  Of course, that's hoping that the characters outsmart the situation of their comedy, so...

• Love 1

"You can live very comfortably on $31 million." "I don't see how."

I thought this was a very strong start to the new season, possibly the strongest of any of the previous three. Drunk Matt was hilarious knocking over all the hockey sticks on the set. I still think something is going to happen with Pucks that keeps it on the air longer than the six additional episodes and it will probably be Stoke, the kid "with the hair" who got a part in the Michael Bey movie. He'll probably become a huge star and Pucks will become enough of a minor success that the network keeps it on the air just because they don't want to let go of Stoke.

Either that or the show will transition to this new show Bev and Sean are going to write, but I can't imagine how both Matt and Morning could wind up being cast in that.

What's funny is that I'm so invested in this show, whenever Eileen starts telling Sean and Bev that Fox wants their new script I yell at the TV not to take the offer, because Fox is notorious for screwing up their shows. Ask anyone. They're better off with CBS or the fictional network Carol works for.

Edited by iMonrey

I was thinking that maybe they would continue to film whilst Matt was drunk and it would be such a free wheeling goofy performance that Pucks ratings and critical reviews would go off the chart and he would have to show up drunk for every episode.

• Love 2
I was thinking that maybe they would continue to film whilst Matt was drunk and it would be such a free wheeling goofy performance that Pucks ratings and critical reviews would go off the chart and he would have to show up drunk for every episode.

That's diabolical.  PUCKS! loses its "s" and becomes PUCK!, the vehicle to celebrity-reality-tv stardom for Matt.  The vehicle otherwise known as a Segway.  And even worse -- Bev and Sean seque into celebrity-reality-tv writers.  And all because Sean had to score a cheap point off Merc, in a parking lot, on their way out of town...  

Or PUTZ!

Edited by Pallas
  • Love 1

Ha! Well I wasn't going for that, but more that they couldn't afford to keep reshooting and his performance whilst drunk was better than his normal work, so in order to keep the buzz going Matt would be drunk for each performance.

• Love 1
I never really liked Friends, or Joey, but this show, with ALL the talented actors, is a must-see for me.

Me neither. It's interesting to me that MLB hasn't had more success. I was wondering if because in the USA, actors get trapped into the same role for 100+ episodes and viewers can't get past them as some new character. Whereas in the UK, you play shorter series orders and actors seemingly enjoy success in many roles. Even *Doctor Who* isn't more than a few years tops. 

He's also really good at playing drunk.

It wasn't typical "tv drunk" with slopping and falling all over. He was a little louder than normal, walked a little to close to Sean and Bev.

I would think they could contract for some degree of "creative control," but no idea how that works in practice.

I thought they had complete control over their UK Lyman's boys. Maybe they were naive to think that it would be the same in the US. Or their agent was shitty with the contract. I would hope they learned something. Then again, JW had a lot of control for Firefly and the network still made him change things too, so I don't know. 

I figured it would be a contrived reason to keep them in the USA, but I thought it was fair. MLB is right. Nothing's guaranteed. If someone wants to pay them a shitload of money for their script now, take the money. They are pretty good writers. They really should just crank out whatever and see who picks it up. 

I'm kind of hoping if they have to do 6 more episodes of Pucks, that everyone kind of goes for broke and it turns out this sleeper hit. 

• Love 2

This show is amazing. All the actors are just perfect for their roles.

I love how Matt was so worried about Sean and Bev thinking they only had a 1 million dollars not realizing they don't even have that. His "Do you need money?" is what makes him such a lovable but self-centered idiot. I loved when Wendy said hi to him and he just made a bunch of unintelligible noises and walked into Sean and Bev's office. 

Carol was great as always, most of time I just wait until her scenes. Her facial reactions and voice changes when she's upset but trying to sound upbeat are comedy gold. 

It's surprising to me how the Morning's age bit is still funny. It's probably because this show takes forever to come back that I miss it and look forward to everything when it return. I did miss Maya I hope she's shows up again. 

• Love 6
Her facial reactions and voice changes when she's upset but trying to sound upbeat are comedy gold.

"Upset but trying to sound upbeat" is comedy gold itself.  To that I'd add, "negative but trying to sound nurturing," "at a loss but trying to sound on the money" and at her best, "appalled but applauding."  

That very first phone call with Bev and Sean, in the pilot, when the pair of writers were still undecided and Carol was trying to talk them up/down through the reality of what the network had in store for them and their little British show...That's when I thought, "Who is that beautiful, hilarious woman, and why haven't we ever seen anyone do this in that way?"

• Love 5

It's interesting to me that MLB hasn't had more success. I was wondering if because in the USA, actors get trapped into the same role for 100+ episodes and viewers can't get past them as some new character.

Jennifer Aniston has had a very successful film career so I don't think the cast of Friends were necessarily hindered by typecasting. They're all so filthy rich off that show none of them ever needs to work again. But Matt LeBlanc did make a few big movie flops and that can tank a film career. They even joked about this a little last season when Stoke was asking him advice about his own film career. These people (the former Friends) and probably only interested in playing lead roles which is why they're more inclined to do TV than take smaller supporting roles in film.

• Love 1

She's been in a lot of films, but aren't they essentially the same basic character? I actually don't watch Friends, but MLB played his character on a spin off too, so there could be something to that. Rather than taking time away from the character to reset, for example. 

• Love 1

Yeah, not saying Aniston has a lot of range, but she's ideally suited to those generic rom coms she keeps churning out. LeBlanc might be harder to cast but I don't think it's because too many people think of him as Joey from Friends. He could easily slip into just about any role that's given to Vince Vaughn, for example. I just don't think he pursues a lot of film work. He doesn't need the money and filming a six to eight episode series once a year is probably a lot easier.

I loved when Wendy said hi to him and he just made a bunch of unintelligible noises and walked into Sean and Bev's office.

Me too.  It only lasts a second but there's comedy gold jammed into that second.  One of the things this show does so well is use over the top quirky characters in just the right amount: Myra, Wendy, Andrew, Button.  They're like the sprinkles on this deliciously snarky cupcake. 

• Love 2

(Small voice)

I loved Joey.

What is the music on his cell phone?

The less than a million dollars appalled look was hilarious.

You mean the ringtone? If so, 'Two Time' by Syd Dale

• Love 1