Type keyword(s) to search

@Midnight - General Discussion

Skyfall
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Loved the puppies and collar of shame. The panelists were given some good jokes but again Hardwick can't help making it about himself. Crawl around on the floor and take selfies on your own time, ya freak.

Edited by Lord Donia
32 minutes ago, Lord Donia said:

Hardwick can't help making it about himself. Crawl around on the floor and take selfies on your own time, ya freak.

Hardwick boilerplate rebuttal: "Get your own fucking show" Maybe he will throw Kathy Griffin a bone and put her on a blacklist theme night panel with Mel Gibson and Michael Richards....

• Love 1

You guys wouldn't have done the same thing? Puppies! I'd still be in there with them.

I congratulate the show on having the puppies on and urging adoption, but Colbert's writers do a much better job with funny puppy bios.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I did like the puppy-themed show, I'm a sucker for puppies. Downward Dog is a really strange show, and I've never heard of any of the panelists before. I wonder how Allison Tolman would have done. 

Probably similar to  Lucas with help from the writers,, who needs to cut his hair I barely recognized him from Raising Hope, the other two are UCB trained. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, attica said:

"Death of a Mailman" is still making me chuckle.

The talking dogs from"Up"

"Master, the small mailman has returned!"

"Your mailman friends can't help you now!"

Hardwickus invoked precedent for non-elimination...Sparing a gladiator on Monday required that everyone reach FTW all week....by that rationale, no eliminations next week

Is a special week of queens too much to ask? I watched the whole episode twice, just for the expressions.

I didn't get the sense that Hardwick is overly familiar with Drag Race, but he played along nicely.

• Love 1

I laughed SO hard at the queens episode. I have never watched "Drag Race," but Alaska's deadpan delivery was great, and Ginger Minj's wig was an architectural marvel. I had to pause the DVR a couple of times because I was laughing so hard. "I Live For The COCK - Compassion of Christ's Kingdom" just slayed me.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Eddie Izzard wasn't as good as I would have expected. Has he been on this show before? I will say, however, that Chris does a pretty good "yodel."

He was on in 2015 with Tom Rhodes & Kevin Pollak.

Kristen Schaal tends to be a little hit or miss for me but I thought she was very funny on yesterday's show.

5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Eddie Izzard wasn't as good as I would have expected. 

Maybe he taped this after Real Time - It looked like the same outfit - and was demoralized by sitting through Overtime

The Rupaul's Drag Race queens brought it. All their jokes were true to their style, Katya was intellectual, Ginger Ming was more middle of the road , but high in quantity, and Alaska threw a few brilliant sparks. I thought the miscarriage line was the best in the show, and considering Katya's "Video killed the labia scar" and "Drag Spicer name: Melissa McCarthyism", that's saying something.

I own a Kenny G album. #uncomfortableconfession

I was kinda surprised that so many people in the audience knew what an EBT card was enough to get the FTW joke. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but I was.

• Love 2

Natasha Leggero has the most annoying laugh ever. Before I even saw who the panel was I heard her laughing off camera and thought "Oh no."  There's another comic with a similar laugh, she has short blonde hair and I can't think of her name. 

It's interesting there was no plug for Another Period. It's a Comedy Central Show and it was supposedly renewed for a third season, but the last two seasons debuted in June and it's already July. I wonder if was cancelled after all.

I had no idea Natasha Leggaro and Moshe Kasher were married. I thought that was a joke but I checked and apparently it's true. I find her incredibly annoying, so I was surprised especially because I often like Kasher and his work.

• Love 1

I think Leggero is funny. I've seen her in various things, and I love Another Period. 

Weird having Teller on the show Wednesday just doing magic tricks though. It's not like he doesn't talk at all. He talks in the Vegas show iirc. 

• Love 1

I didn't know that Natasha Leggero and Moshe Kasher were married either! I remember when she used to be on Chelsea Lately a lot she and he were dating but I thought they had broken up. Good for them!

I was also hoping there would be a mention of Another Period and when/if it will start up again but no such luck. I was surprised Chris would break up a married couple with the red light.

• Love 1

I am curious as to why the basketball player guy didn't take off his messenger bag for the show. Was he in mid-bike-delivery and didn't want to lose the documents, lest the client ream him out?  "To Grill a Mockingbird" is a good joke.

Kevin Durand! Yay! Harbard comes by to sex us up! [/Vikings ref]

• Love 1
22 hours ago, attica said:

Kevin Durand! Yay! Harbard comes by to sex us up! [/Vikings ref]

And ... he's Fet from 'The Strain'.  He's awesome on an otherwise batshit crazy show.

Ginger Gonzaga was adorable.

Maybe Iman has a side job selling custom-made manbags.  Otherwise, I got nothing.

• Love 1

James Davis' flirting with Kristin Chenowith was a little distracting. She is a charming nugget, though.

At least Jim Norton was fairly muted this time out. Why he thinks the world is endlessly fascinated by his sexual peccadillos I'll never know.

I feel like I may need to comment on every episode now that the countdown to darkness has begun.

12 minutes ago, 2727 said:

James Davis' flirting with Kristin Chenowith was a little distracting.

You know what? I am totally on board with 'shipping that. For a whole variety of reasons.

• Love 1

Shoot.  First The Soup and now this.  I know they're different but I liked each of these shows and their hosts.  I know Chris has a lot of haters, but I like the guy.  I just can't help it. 

I loved Kristen Chenowith on this.  If she really thought it was for the talk show but was a good enough sport to stay- then my love for her doubled.  Of course, she'll always have a special spot in my heart for Pushing Daisies.

• Love 3

I was hoping Chris would address the ending of the show but apparently this week was taped in advance because he's at Comic Con this week. I look forward to his return next week and hearing how he spins it.

Wouldn't he still be making money if he owns the show then? 

What I mean is that it wasn't so much about Hardwick as it was about the show itself. He's the executive producer in addition to being the host. (He doesn't seem to have any stake in Funny or Die after all, now that I look a little deeper). There's a lot of CC executive blather about "we're so excited about developing Jordan Klepper's show blah blah blah" that I think it did in fact mean tossing @midnight aside. Apparently @midnight got a nice ratings bump when it moved to 11:30, so moving it back to 12:00 likely means losing viewers. In that respect, it did come down to Jordan Klepper's new show vs. @midnight. 

I can see from a semantic stand-point how it could be considered a "mutual decision" between Hardwick and CC, if they took him aside and said "Look, we're moving the show back to 12:00 which means the ratings will probably drop back down to what they were before and we're giving Jordan Klepper the 11:30 spot instead of letting you keep it. You still want to go forward?" In which case Hardwick probably said "I guess not" because he does have a full enough plate with his other shows now. But that's splitting hairs. They kind of forced his hand, it seems to me.

Chris's acknowledgment seemed contradictory. He started out calling the show "cancelled" and even joked it was the audience's fault for not watching the show more. Then he went into this elaborate spiel about how it just felt like it was "time" as though he were part of the decision. I'm sure he doesn't want to burn bridges but I'm definitely still getting a sense that Comedy Central forced him out but both are trying to play it off as a mutual decision.

• Love 4

Agee has only been on 22 episodes? It seemed so many more... He has made me laugh a few times but he and last night was one. But overall, not a fan.

• Love 1
On 7/27/2017 at 9:00 PM, ABay said:

Agee has only been on 22 episodes? It seemed so many more... He has made me laugh a few times but he and last night was one. But overall, not a fan.

Steve Agee was the creator of the Pervert Dave/Sad Jeff answer from early on in the run of @Midnight.

• Love 1