Type keyword(s) to search

Memorable Products: As Seen on Shark Tank

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

Here's a heads-up for anyone on Facebook who may see ads like this. They are scams, ripoffs, fakes. "Glow Recipe" did not change it's name, did not revamp packaging. In fact, they have a website with their legitimate products for sale. What these scammers will do is hook you with the promise of free 30-day samples for the cost of shipping, usually $3-4. What you don't know is that your credit card will be billed hundreds as you have signed up for a subscription service. Lori said last night that it's a scam and they are using the Shark Tank photos illegally. There are dozens of companies doing this, so beware.

http://beautynshare.com/fb/shark/3272.html?city=Franklin&region=North+Carolina&voluumdata=BASE64dmlkLi4wMDAwMDAwNC1kZTBlLTRkNWUtODAwMC0wMDAwMDAwMDAwMDBfX3ZwaWQuLmMxZDk1MDAwLWUxOTUtMTFlNi04OWFhLTA1YTQ5OWMwNmIxYV9fY2FpZC4uZDUxMmVhNjQtMmI2Ni00MTNhLWExYTQtMzgyZjMzNGYwYTEwX19ydC4uUl9fbGlkLi40YjMyOThjNi1hOWUyLTQzNTQtODY1MC1mMWY1MTZlZTMzZGRfX29pZDEuLmY3Njc5NTE4LWI5YTctNDEwMC04Y2UwLTJkMTkzYmIxMDFiMl9fdmFyMi4ubWFraW1sZWFseWFldl9fcmQuLmxcLlxmYWNlYm9va1wuXGNvbV9fYWlkLi5fX2FiLi5fX3NpZC4u&id=makimlealyaev

• Love 3
  • It burns my buns that Facebook continues to allow scam and phishing ads just because they are trying to monetize their site. I've repeatedly reported similar posts/ads but nada. Even mentioned it to a Facebook employee in a meeting at their NYC office. Got a big old shrug. Argh.
  • Breathalizer - there's now a Dorito bag that you can test your drunkeness on and if you're too drunk according to the bag, you can use a $10 off coupon for Uber. Oh, no lawsuits coming here...
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

My credit card was charged for the Grease Bags, but they won't be shipping them until April 1. Anybody smell a problem here?

I doubt a scam.  They probably need the cash for more inventory. Clearly not a good business practice but I don't smell a rat.

2 hours ago, wings707 said:

I doubt a scam.  They probably need the cash for more inventory. Clearly not a good business practice but I don't smell a rat.

It's very poor practice. Your card shouldn't be charged until the item is shipped. That's pretty standard, I thought.

• Love 2
On 1/29/2017 at 6:36 AM, cooksdelight said:

My credit card was charged for the Grease Bags, but they won't be shipping them until April 1. Anybody smell a problem here?

Check with your credit card company.  There's no law against charging a card before the product ships but many credit card companies don't allow this.

28 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

They (grease bag people) credited my card today. As I said, I'll wait until they're in stores. 

You can also ask them to email you when the product's back in stock on their website and re-order it then.

I was watching some reruns on MSNBC, and saw the Slawsa lady. I live in NC and it's in my local Ingles grocery store. The stuff is GOOD. Truly, I love it. My fiance hasn't tried it yet so I am off to the store today to get a jar for us to put on burgers tonight. I'd highly recommend it if you see it in stores near you, or order it online. 

• Love 1

Lollacup update! I've been using these with my son for a year. He is now (almost!) 2 and all four of my Lollacups are in perfect shape. He has never been able to bite through a straw, and no amount of throwing has damaged these cups. I highly recommend them as shower gifts, especially if you can get them on sale. I did replace the straws in my two oldest cups, but more because they were discolored than that they actually NEEDED new straws. I have been hand-washing them so that may help preserve the cups' quality.

• Love 1

When there's nothing else on, I watch Let's Make a Deal on CBS All Access.  Imagine my surprise when a contestant won new kitchen appliances AND a Daisy Cake a month for a year.  I guess Barbara helped them iron out their supply chain problems if they're able offer themselves up for that and get some additional national exposure.

• Love 1

At Walgreens today I saw a display of Copa Di Vino...I could not resist. I am now sipping their white zinfandel. It's okay, I mean it's basically Sutter Home so if you love Sutter Home's cheap-ass white zin as much as I do (which: a LOT. It reminds me of Catholic mass, in a good way), you will like it. I gotta say, there is something nice about the convenience of peeling off a foil top and not having to wash a wine glass, but I don't know if it's "$2.99 a cup convenient." You could get a whole bottle of Sutter Home for $4.

There's a NY suburb mother & daughter duo (they look like Staten Island) who have a company called Flip Flop Bitch. It's named after a charming incident where the mother and daughter were out clubbing together in Manhattan (like the Lohans or Gastineaus) and the mother switched out her heels for a pair of flip flops in the parking lot and a friend who was bare foot yelled out "What are you? A flip flop bitch?!" and the name was born.

Ay, yea. So... Not that I can't relate to needing to switch shoes or friends shouting out remarks like that when they are trashed but to name your company that? A company that makes sparkly tote bags?

Anyway, they tried out for Shark Tank. Every so often they are featured on the local news here. I hope they make Shark Tank so you can all enjoy them as much as I do.

http://rye.dailyvoice.com/neighbors/looking-for-a-shark-hudson-valley-mom-daughter-audition-for-tv-show/707831/

• Love 2

Thanks for the link, I needed a laugh.  Who doesn't need or want a vegan leather tote? That's sounds so much nicer than "pleather," in keeping with such a classy company.

• Love 1

I've tried a couple.

Copa-DeVino (sp?)  -- Saw this at a liquor store next to a garage where my car was getting fixed.  I don't like wine, but I gave it a shot.  Bought 4 different varieties.  It was... palatable... I guess.

Scrub Daddy -- Impulse bought one at the Walmart.  Used it a few times.  It was okay, but nothing spectacular.

Three Jerks Jerky -- I ordered these a few days after the show aired.  Took like 2 months to get.  It wasn't really much better than beef jerky you could buy at half the price off any supermarket shelf.

Bantam Bagels -- Ordered some of these back in July.  Came pretty quickly.  They were a good yummy snack.   I just wish I could buy them in supermarkets.  Would make a great appetizer at a party.

• Love 1

I love Scrub Daddy!  I use them everyday.  Washing a bath tub has never been easier.   

I ordered the rollers from their site complete with Lori's picture.  It has been almost 3 weeks and not a peep from then and no way to get in touch. 

Love my pants and kimono tops from the elephant place. 

The little magnet thing to hold reading glasses, I immediately lost and it was a pain to use them. 

I ordered from Mission Belt. This is the best civilian belt I've ever had and it's completely worth the money. Leather strap with a series of notches on the inside. The belt buckle hooks into those notches and has a release lever on the bottom of the belt. The adjustability is much more granular than a standard belt with holes. I'll be ordering more from them in the future.

• Love 2

Oh yeah.  I knew I forgot something.  I ordered some Sleep Stylers for a friend.  I ordered in early March, and they said it would take 3 months to arrive.  I don't see this friend until June 10th (she lives 600 miles away so I can't see her often), so hopefully they'll arrive in time.

7 hours ago, MrSmith said:

I ordered from Mission Belt. This is the best civilian belt I've ever had and it's completely worth the money. Leather strap with a series of notches on the inside. The belt buckle hooks into those notches and has a release lever on the bottom of the belt. The adjustability is much more granular than a standard belt with holes. I'll be ordering more from them in the future.

Agreed. I bought a three-pack of different colors for my husband one Christmas and he LOVES them, and he is not really a fashionisto or a big "belt guy." They are also super attractive belts IMO.

• Love 2

I have a Slide Belt - not a Mission Belt, because this.  (Short summary: the Mission Belt guy copied the idea from a family member already making them.)  The claim seems pretty well sourced, but I was really convinced after the "Behind the Tank" where we saw the guy commissioning paintings of himself as Moses and trying to sell his own business advice book.

57 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

I saw this on a rerun on CNBC and be sure to read the woman's tweets at the bottom.

http://gazettereview.com/2016/09/mee-mas-louisiana-gumbo-brick-update-happened-shark-tank/

This is very poorly written!  Horrific is a better word.   The author is Ariel Leather, which is a product.  Very odd.  I think this may have been written by the gumbo lady herself or a friend.  

I know the sharks meet the contestant after the show, at some point down the line, to talk further before signing.  They cannot make a final decision on TV without examining the product or service's financial information etc.  I would not be surprised to hear other deals did not close when all facts were on the table.  

As for the gumbo lady I think both Kevin and Lori led with their hearts and then upon further examination saw it would be impossible to help her.  She may have lied/exaggerated the details with Costco and other things. 

I am not ready to jump on Shark Tank as being a show that requires the sharks to make a deal for the entertainment factor and then back out.   I don't think any of the sharks would do that and risk their reputation.   

• Love 1
(edited)

@wings707 I know there have been other entrepreneurs that got a deal and then when it came time to do the due diligence after the show, the deal fell through. I know Robert has had at least one of those. I just can't remember exactly which product(s) it was.

ETA: Here's one... https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbestreptalks/2017/04/17/why-night-runners-shark-tank-deal-fell-through-and-why-it-didnt-matter/1/#4f0c2d936de6

Storer: We filmed in June and we didn’t start negotiating with Robert’s team until October. We had quit our jobs earlier that year because we were pretty sure the show would air. After it aired, we didn’t need the investment anymore and we started to think, why should we give up equity if we don’t need it. Also they offered fewer dollars for the same equity. We came to a mutual decision that the deal wasn’t in our best interest.

And here's another article about it: https://www.forbes.com/sites/emilycanal/2016/10/21/about-72-of-deals-that-happen-on-shark-tank-dont-turn-out-as-seen-on-tv/#46de85524ed1

Edited by MrSmith
  • Love 2
40 minutes ago, starri said:

So, Robert backs out of more deals than he closes.

Guess he's not really the Nice Shark after all.

Well, that's not necessarily true. Remember that some of those people chose to back out of deals themselves because it was no longer good for them. So, it could be he killed the deal, the start-up killed the deal, or it was a mutual decision.

• Love 1

Robert makes some strange deals; often the other sharks groan at his choices.  I have never seen him win one, when other sharks are vying for it.  

Cuban is the favored shark by most of the people unless they have a product they want on QVC.  If Cuban were interested in my company I would jump to make that deal and figure out the details later if his offer was not as you hoped. 

Kevin gets deals when he is the only one remaining as does Robert.  Seems to me the contestants accept their offer so they don't leave empty handed.  Not all but most.  :^)  A foot in the door.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MrSmith said:

Well, that's not necessarily true. Remember that some of those people chose to back out of deals themselves because it was no longer good for them. So, it could be he killed the deal, the start-up killed the deal, or it was a mutual decision.

We've now heard of two cases where he reneged.  Looking at that, and looking that almost 90% of Cuban's deals go through, it's hard not to draw conclusions.

I mean, assuming that poorly written story is true, Kevin doesn't look so great in the Mee-Maw's situation, but he doesn't go around as the pleasant one either.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, starri said:

We've now heard of two cases where he reneged.  Looking at that, and looking that almost 90% of Cuban's deals go through, it's hard not to draw conclusions.

I mean, assuming that poorly written story is true, Kevin doesn't look so great in the Mee-Maw's situation, but he doesn't go around as the pleasant one either.

Yeah, I guess. I just can't bring myself to extrapolate such a conclusion based on such limited information. Maybe he does kill the deal more than most. Who knows why that is, though. It could be the direction of the company changed between filming and completion of due diligence. Maybe he realizes it's not a good fit in his portfolio. Perhaps he doesn't have the time available to help that start-up to the extent they need it (or the extent that he thinks they need it). So many possibilities and I can't hold his closure rate against him because of it.

• Love 2

Watching some reruns last night and the Freaker guy was on. I love that guy!! Even though he didn't get a deal, he's doing pretty well. I bought a Freaker when they had some on Facebook that were free if you paid the shipping costs. Which were pretty minimal. My fiance had never seen the episode so I whipped out my Freaker and the personalized note I got from Zach.

Another product we saw in reruns was You Smell soap, the lemon scented soap pitched by the pretty blonde, Megan Cummins. I went to look for an update on the product.....and sadly, found this:

Megan appeared on the Shark Tank to partner up with one of the Sharks, hoping to take advantage of their capital and connections. Megan Cummins was able to secure an investment from Robert Herjavec, who agreed to invest fifty thousand dollars, in exchange for a twenty percent stake in You Smell Soap. Robert Herjavec also stated that he would add another fifty thousand dollars, in order to support Megan Cummins financially.

Following the airing of Shark Tank Robert Herjavec and Megan were unable to close the deal. Reports state that Robert Herjavec didn’t take a step to contact Megan Cummins after she appeared on the Shark Tank and Megan Cummins states that she has tried to get in touch with Robert Herjavec for six months straight; however, she always ended up talking to his assistant. Robert claims that following his due diligence he adjusted his offer to $50,000 for 50% of the company which Megan did not agree too. Instead Megan decided to work with an outside investor whom she later sold the company too.

Following the sale by Megan to the outside investor the company ended up closing. On the official You Smell Soap Facebook page the last past is from 2014.

The good news is following the sale of the company Megan launched a new fashion jewelry company called Sparklepop. Her latest  company has been featured in Oprah Magazine as well as Family Circle and the current Popsugar Must Have Box. According to Megan this new company is growing rapidly, doubling in size yearly.

• Love 2
On 5/3/2017 at 11:57 AM, MrSmith said:

@wings707 I know there have been other entrepreneurs that got a deal and then when it came time to do the due diligence after the show, the deal fell through. I know Robert has had at least one of those. I just can't remember exactly which product(s) it was.

ETA: Here's one... https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbestreptalks/2017/04/17/why-night-runners-shark-tank-deal-fell-through-and-why-it-didnt-matter/1/#4f0c2d936de6

And here's another article about it: https://www.forbes.com/sites/emilycanal/2016/10/21/about-72-of-deals-that-happen-on-shark-tank-dont-turn-out-as-seen-on-tv/#46de85524ed1

Wow! It's not really surprising that so many deals fall through but I am kind of annoyed that Shark Tank isn't more transparent than that.  They love giving us updates (that extended update in the season finale/self-contradulatory piece about the American dream was beyond useless) yet they don't talk about how often deals fall through. 

Cuban making the most deals makes a ton of sense because he has the luxury of being the choosiest. He tends to make offers only when he really wants to and he knows when he does make an offer it will usually get accepted.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Read my post just above, @Dots And Stripes, where Robert totally bailed on the lady, then wanted to change the deal 6 months later. 

That's unfortunate. I'm glad things seem to have turned out well for her anyway, though.

Thus feeding into my "Robert is a two-faced asshole" theory.

Sakezles: We’ve really just scratched the surface of the medical training business. The current batch of medical mannequins are computerized Barbie dolls. They fake the body and we simulate it.

That's for damned sure.

• Love 1
On 1/29/2017 at 6:36 AM, cooksdelight said:

SleepStyler did the same thing to me.  I don't mind.  I actually prefer it that way.  It makes budgeting easier when you don't have an expenditure hanging out there for a long time.

• Love 1

Grease Bags are STILL on pre-order, so they obviously haven't gotten their act together.

On the bright side, there is a grease bag called Toss-It! It sells 6 bags for $5.99 with free shipping from Amazon. I'm surprised at all the various grease bags already on the market.

14 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Here's another product that Robert bailed on. What's up with his ego? He wanted to replace the guy with someone else (perhaps himself) as CEO of the company. WTF???

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbestreptalks/2016/11/07/syndaver-won-a-3-million-shark-tank-deal-to-make-human-cadavers-but-there-was-a-catch/#3858dd1b3dd0

The inventor seemed to give them the impression that making profit, and thus enriching the investors, was not his highest priority.  That doesn't seem like a big ego to me.  But it seems like a pretty big ask for someone who only has 25% equity in the company.

(edited)

Ego, I was referring to Robert. :)

I liked the guy when I saw the rerun last night. Seems like a really viable product that would benefit people around the world with their medical training.

Edited by cooksdelight
(edited)
1 hour ago, cooksdelight said:

Ego, I was referring to Robert. :)

I liked the guy when I saw the rerun last night. Seems like a really viable product that would benefit people around the world with their medical training.

I know.  I was saying that Robert doesn't strike me as egotistical just because he doesn't like Mr. Sazekles indifference towards profit.

Edited by Thriftykins

When I watch the reruns, I have my iPad handy and I look to see how the company is doing now from each pitch. Robert, so far, is the most hands-off investor, and in those two cases I mentioned, he bailed altogether. Mark comes across as the one who is always there, helping, working. So is Barbara.

• Love 1