Type keyword(s) to search

Memorable Products: As Seen on Shark Tank

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

On 5/19/2017 at 8:09 PM, cooksdelight said:

Postcards On The Run is on just now, and Robert makes a deal. And evidently didn't do much to help the guy, the business closed 2 years later in 2015. Another Robert bail-out.

Just because a shark invests in a business doesn't guarantee the business's success.  Toygaroo, for example, got investments from Mark and Kevin, but still failed later.

On 5/20/2017 at 7:52 AM, cooksdelight said:

I had not seen Cake Pops until last night's rerun, and when I looked them up I actually laughed. One guy's greed took down the whole company and blew the deal!

I don't remember that product, but haven't cake pops been in Starbucks for over a decade?

• Love 1
Just now, Thriftykins said:

Just because a shark invests in a business doesn't guarantee the business's success.  Toygaroo, for example, got investments from Mark and Kevin, but still failed later.

I realize that, but from everything I've read, Robert never worked with them or guided them in any way.

I think on one of the episodes this season they were doing an update on Bubba Q's Boneless Ribs, and they pointed out that they were being put into some new sandwich at Hardees.

Well the new sandwich is out.  I tried it.  It's gluttonous (Hardees' food usually is) and I thought it was pretty good.  It's a fried onion bits, a hamburger patty, and boneless ribs.  Very messy too.  Definitely gotta wash your hands after this one, and go through a lot of napkins.

• Love 2

Remember the two kooky retired ladies with the fashionable motorcycle wear? Go Go (I forget the rest) and they had NO business sense whatsoever. Daymond gave them a deal, but I later found out that he never gave them the money. Instead, he became and advisor and set up a business plan for them to follow, and they started making good money. He had 75% so he was more motivated for them to succeed. They originally asked for 15% and were so desperate to get a deal, they kept raising it.

12 hours ago, Thriftykins said:

Lori Grenier invested in Sleep Styler.  I ordered Sleep Styler (3 months ago... they're supposed to ship soon).  Now I am on Lori Grenier's mailing list.  Oops.

Time to go on the lam and get a new identity.

• Love 3

Remember Blendtique, the "blend your own wine" service that Barbara(?) invested in?

The founder mentioned something about wanting to start offering it on cruise ships. I'm currently sitting in the middle of the Gulf of Alaska on a cruise ship. Guess what's being offered tomorrow?  But I'll be too busy hiking Mendenhall Glacier  

And yes, I know I'm on vacation and shouldn't be thinking about Shark Tank, but it's been an incredibly long day, and I just want to go to bed. 

• Love 3
On 6/1/2017 at 11:36 PM, bilgistic said:

Time to go on the lam and get a new identity.

I've been cutting down on Spam lately.  Most mailing lists, I have found, are good enough to honor my unsubscribe requests.  It only takes 30 seconds to submit one. 

At least junk E-Mail doesn't take up physical space.  I get a big, clunky, barely held together circular from The Indianapolis Star Buyer's Edge at least once a week, and I cannot figure out how to stop it.

9 hours ago, Thrifty said:

I've been cutting down on Spam lately.  Most mailing lists, I have found, are good enough to honor my unsubscribe requests.  It only takes 30 seconds to submit one. 

At least junk E-Mail doesn't take up physical space.  I get a big, clunky, barely held together circular from The Indianapolis Star Buyer's Edge at least once a week, and I cannot figure out how to stop it.

Upon reading your first sentence, I thought you meant you were trying to eat less of the canned mystery "meat".

My city's newspaper puts out a weekly junky mailer with "articles", ads (always for a hearing test) and coupons; I cannot get off the list. I've called and written the paper. I get very little unsolicited mail (thanks to catalogchoice.org)--actually, very little mail at all, since I pay bills online and go paperless.

I feel that it's incredibly rude to foist unwanted mail on people with no way to opt out. It's also an environmental crime to create the waste of that mailer.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I feel that it's incredibly rude to foist unwanted mail on people with no way to opt out. It's also an environmental crime to create the waste of that mailer.

I just plain hate that they are, essentially, mailing me garbage.  If it were smaller, and all in one piece, I probably wouldn't mind.  The bulk and and unwieldy nature is what bothers me.

I have considered that if they won't accept an unsubscribe request, maybe a change of address notification will do.  I just need to find a vacant address and tell them to send it there. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Thrifty said:

I just plain hate that they are, essentially, mailing me garbage.  If it were smaller, and all in one piece, I probably wouldn't mind.  The bulk and and unwieldy nature is what bothers me.

I live in an apartment building. My mailbox is one of several in a row of boxes that the mail carrier opens from the top with one central keyed opening. When I actually get the correct mail in my mailbox (and not my neighbors' or someone else's from a totally different part of the community), my mail carrier thinks that the way to put mail in the mailbox is to stuff it down, packing it as hard as possible. So when I get those insipid garbage newspaper mailers, it's nearly impossible to open my mailbox.

I have been "that person" who has called the postmaster to complain about how my mail is delivered. I miss my childhood mail carrier. We always had the same one, and he knew us and we, him. He was professional and never squashed our mail. Over the last 20 years, my mail has been repeatedly lost, ripped to shreds while being jammed inside the mailbox, crushed, misdelivered, and all around treated like a dog's chew toy.

I worked one holiday season for UPS a few years ago, and I can assure you that they work to a much higher standard.

• Love 1

My SleepStyler finally shipped, after I ordered it in the 2nd week of March.  I bought it as a gift for a friend back home, and had it shipped to my parents' house so I could give it to my friend while I'm in town for the week.  Well.... I'll be in town until the morning of the 18th.... hopefully it arrives by then.  Otherwise it'll have to wait and be a Christmas gift.

2 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

I'm watching a rerun featuring PittMoss, and the guy is so nice. Then I read this:

https://medium.com/@pathanavan/what-actually-happened-to-pittmoss-after-a-600k-shark-tank-deal-ddb46506a7c8

Where the hell were the Sharks?? Or did they get some type of compensation for bringing the business to the Idea Foundry? I don't understand how this could happen!!

That was written in April last year. In December:

https://pittmoss.com/blogs/monts-corner/catching-up-with-mont-q-a-with-the-founder-of-pittmoss

I was inspired by your story on Shark Tank. But before purchasing online, I did research on Google and learned that you are no longer working for the company that you started. I didn’t purchase for this very reason, because I don’t believe in supporting a company that doesn’t see the real value in its creator. I should hope you at least get compensated very well. I also hope and pray this is what you wanted as the outcome?

Hi Randy- I wanted to respond to your comment, and appreciate your concern. However, I’m back home again in Indiana, caring for an elderly parent. I am working on a new project while at Purdue University Northwest helping other innovators launch their products. I am still very l active with PittMoss as a board member and shareholder. You can feel confident in your purchase of PittMoss and your support is greatly appreciated!

So it sounds like he's no longer in charge (understandable) and his share may have been reduced due to more fundraising and partnerships. But if he's still a "boardmember and shareholder" then I don't see how Medium calls it "little more than a three-figure check".

I think that's PR bullshit from the guy, but what do I know. It's the first case I've read of where the Sharks didn't work to save the company for the primary owner. I can understand why some products should be licensed out and the original owner gets mailbox money. But that didn't seem to be the case with this guy.

My Sleep Styler arrived yesterday, after ordering on March 7th.  Of course I'm not at all upset that it took so long.  The Shark Tank effect caused a huge rush of new orders and it always takes featured businesses to catch up after appearing on the show.

It came just in the nick of time.  As I mentioned, I bought it for a friend here in Delaware, but I live in Indiana.  I'm on vacation and visiting for the week.  I got the Sleep Styler 2 hours before I was off to a dinner and Rifftrax show with my friend who is the recipient of the item.  Although we were able to get together for a few hours today, yesterday was the last time I was certain I'd be able to see her until my next visit, at Christmas time.

I expected her to kinda-sorta like it and be generally touched by the thoughtful gift.  She absolutely loved it.  She is giddy as a little kid on Christmas.  She has long hair and takes a lot of pride in her appearance, and has often spoken of how long it takes her to get ready.  She hasn't had time to use it yet, but she says she can't wait to try it out.  I'll give you all a secondhand review once she lets me know.

• Love 3

My friend for whom I bought the Sleep Styler says it's awesome, though it doesn't curl her hair.  She says "It doesn't really curl my hair but it does give it a lot of body- that's because my hair is so straight that it's hard to curl without heat but the Sleep Styler makes it really full and bouncy"

• Love 3

So, my husband and I were at Cooper Hewitt, the design museum here in New York.  While browsing in the gift shop, I was not surprised to see the Lumio book-light, because the inventor of that said he'd already gotten it in there.

I was completely floored to see the EzPz suction cup mat. I can neither fathom what kind of connection Crazy Eyes has, nor who thought that was an example of fantastic design aesthetics.

I love my Lumio, which I received as a gift.  Sure, there are other lights, but it is just so beautifully designed and manufactured, it is a pleasure to use.  I mainly use it at night, when I wake up and want just a little bit of light, without having to turn on an actual light, but sometimes I just open to put myself in a better, more spiritual mood.

• Love 1

I mentioned in an episode thread about looking up products to see how they did later on after the episode was aired. It’s how I found out that Robert and Lori have the worst track records of actually following through on a deal.

If you’re ever watching reruns, Google “XYZ Product after Shark Tank” and you’ll see if it was successful or a flop. And why. I was really blown away to find out the young girls who had the bottle cap jewelry were filing lawsuits left and right, and lying. They’re no longer in business.

http://gazettereview.com/2016/03/m3-girl-designs-update-see-happened-shark-tank/

Edited by cooksdelight
  • Love 3

Some may (or likely don't) remember the Emergensee app from a few years ago - basically an app with a quick button that would send video to the police. The inventor left without a deal. This past week he turned up dead in a Philadelphia river with a gunshot to the head, and reports are he was $3 million in debt over the app and being sued.

http://6abc.com/body-found-in-schuylkill-river-identified-as-shark-tank-entrepreneur/2531616/

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Amarsir said:

Some may (or likely don't) remember the Emergensee app from a few years ago - basically an app with a quick button that would send video to the police. The inventor left without a deal. This past week he turned up dead in a Philadelphia river with a gunshot to the head, and reports are he was $3 million in debt over the app and being sued.

http://6abc.com/body-found-in-schuylkill-river-identified-as-shark-tank-entrepreneur/2531616/

OH, that is so tragic! ?

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Amarsir said:

That sucks.  Sounds like a suicide with those kinds of circumstances.

40 minutes ago, marny said:

Huh.  Sounds to me more like he was in debt to the wrong people.  Terrible.

Do loan sharks generally kill delinquent debtors?  Dead men can't pay.  Aren't severe beatings and disfigurements more appropriate?  Maybe in a really severe case they go after the debtor's loved ones.

On 10/17/2017 at 11:14 AM, Thrifty said:

Do loan sharks generally kill delinquent debtors?  Dead men can't pay.  Aren't severe beatings and disfigurements more appropriate?  Maybe in a really severe case they go after the debtor's loved ones.

It's just very unusual for suicide to be from a bullet in the forehead.  And unless he was in the river already when he shot himself, it's hard to dump your own body.  Either way, it's tragic and horrible for his children.

23 minutes ago, marny said:

It's just very unusual for suicide to be from a bullet in the forehead.  And unless he was in the river already when he shot himself, it's hard to dump your own body.  Either way, it's tragic and horrible for his children.

If he were standing on the edge somewhere, or even in a shallow part of the water, gravity would dump the body for him. 

I guess it could go either way, and it's awfully macabre to keep debating this.  With a failed business, a pending law suit, millions in debt, and a deceased wife, that's a lot of despair and motivation for suicide.

1 hour ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Was in Costco today and they were giving out free samples of maple butter (on pretzels) from that kid who was hawking the syrup and cotton candy a few seasons ago. It was delicious but it would take me two lifetimes to finish the jar.

I applaud your self-control!  It would take me no more than a week.

• Love 1

There was an update on that Safe Grabber (I think) - the silicone microwave circle thing.  Has anyone tried it?  If I have to microwave something in a container without handles, I usually just put in on a plate, and cover with another plate. 

My husband ordered one of the magnetic eyeglass holders you put on your shirt. In less than 24 hours, he’s lost one of his three pairs of glasses. If you bend over to pick something up off the floor, they come off the holder. No idea where he left the glasses.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, cooksdelight said:

My husband ordered one of the magnetic eyeglass holders you put on your shirt. In less than 24 hours, he’s lost one of his three pairs of glasses. If you bend over to pick something up off the floor, they come off the holder. No idea where he left the glasses.

I got them, too.  Useless.  

On 10/23/2017 at 5:25 PM, mjc570 said:

There was an update on that Safe Grabber (I think) - the silicone microwave circle thing.  Has anyone tried it?  If I have to microwave something in a container without handles, I usually just put in on a plate, and cover with another plate. 

Yes, I have one and I love it.  So handy.

• Love 1

And the guy supposedly made millions???

The Show No towel lady was on, and I looked her up to see how she’s doing now. She said Lori kicked her to the curb right after the show, and she wished she’d gone with Mark. She’s out of business.

• Love 1
Just now, cooksdelight said:

And the guy supposedly made millions???

The Show No towel lady was on, and I looked her up to see how she’s doing now. She said Lori kicked her to the curb right after the show, and she wished she’d gone with Mark. She’s out of business.

I have forgotten what the Show No towel is.  Mark might have kicked her to the curb for the same reasons. 

• Love 1

I mentioned this in the episode thread, but probably should have posted here - I loved the idea of the Comfy thing (basically a very large, fleece-lined sweatshirt), ordered one, changed my mind since they would not have been available until February.  The reason I wanted to bring it upt was the super customer service - Brian, one of the co-founders responded almost instantly (20 min?), and very nicely  cancelled the order. Even nicer, the refund was processed promptly.  I don't know about the viability of the product, but I certainly hope these guys are successful. 

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, Wings said:

I have forgotten what the Show No towel is.  Mark might have kicked her to the curb for the same reasons. 

Mom who had two boys who liked to spend a lot of time at the pool, she cut a slit in a towel and put a decorative trim around the opening. It allowed them to change out of their trunks and put on clothes while under the towel, without Mom having to hold a towel around them.

What I got after reading her blog is that she had tons of orders... and had a deal lined up with Disney to supply all of their resorts. But she needed help getting the orders fulfilled and that’s when Lori bailed. The woman tried to do it herself, via some company in China, and they dropped the ball on her and she lost the big contract.

• Love 3
On 12/21/2017 at 8:44 PM, cooksdelight said:

Mom who had two boys who liked to spend a lot of time at the pool, she cut a slit in a towel and put a decorative trim around the opening. It allowed them to change out of their trunks and put on clothes while under the towel, without Mom having to hold a towel around them.

What I got after reading her blog is that she had tons of orders... and had a deal lined up with Disney to supply all of their resorts. But she needed help getting the orders fulfilled and that’s when Lori bailed. The woman tried to do it herself, via some company in China, and they dropped the ball on her and she lost the big contract.

Seems like a weird time to bail, maybe the profit margin was going to be too low for Lori or something. If it was really a big order there'd be no reason to say no.

The fact that Disney wanted them in all their theme parks said “bingo!!” To me. Lori sometimes jumps out if she can’t see selling it on QVC, her “go-to” staple, yet this would have been perfect. It needs a demo.

Lori making the guy rich with those eyeglass thingys... that magnetically hook onto your shirt....and it’s crap. My husband has lost his glasses with that thing.

• Love 2

I just received the Frywall (splatter guard) - while I appreciate they had sufficient stock to supply orders after their Shark Tank appearance, I wish I had waited.  Although I got the smallest size I could find, the "medium" which is supposed to work with a 10" diameter pan. this thing is HUGE.  I didn't understand that it is supposed to sit on the edge of the pan - which even though I tried with a 10" pan with a pretty pronounced lip  just didn't work.  It ended up slipping down almost into the pan itself (not quite, especially after I shortened it by folding it over to make the thing smaller), taking up cooking surface.  Nice idea, but I think it needs more work.  MAybe if it were smaller, it might work better.  Oh well, I guess I just have to be more careful when I cook, ugh. 

• Love 2

I’m waiting on mine, good/bad to hear your experience. Maybe what it needs is a rim around the bottom, rounded or weighted, to keep it in place? I’ve got a lot of different frying pans so I will see what happens. The good thing about Amazon, if something doesn’t work, they will take it back no questions asked.

Stephen Colbert did a funny segment last night on the "manly diaper bag" that was on Shark Tank ("Tactical" something?). Apparently there's another company like the one that was on the show that makes those bags.