Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Prophecy

As a violent storm hits Arcadia, knocking out all the power, Jacob goes missing – along with Margaret, and The Langstons and Bellamy struggle to find them. Meanwhile, the tempest signals the arrival of another visitor – a stranger with a mysterious link to Bellamy.

Here's some promo photos found on Spoilertv.com

http://www.spoilertv.com/2014/12/resurrection-episode-210-prophecy.html

Apparently Bellamy finds some crop circles in a field, the mysterious stranger wears a hoodie (just to hammer home the point that he's either really mysterious or Mark Zuckerberg's lesser known brother) and is also likely a resurrected since Bellamy's sister knows him (oh yeah, Jenny is back in Arcadia -- how exactly ?).  Seriously, nearly every photo in the promo link is of the mysterious stranger, and Bitchy Grandma is no where in sight.

So, did the mysterious stranger cause the violent storm/tempest to signal his arrival ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

In the 15-20 minutes of showtime between the end of last episode and the time the Langston's got home, a torrential storm blew up and dropped a stranger off, and Bitchy Grandma managed to hustle Jacob back to the Langston homestead to take one of the cars and drive to an abandoned barn "where this all began".  Because why exactly ?  Turns out that's where BG learned how the resurrected factory workers discovered they could "let go" and disappear permanently.

Despite knowing about a stranger who had stolen a raincoat from the bar who had been asking about an young boy, the minute Marty spots someone matching this description he just lets him walk away, as did Sheriff Fred.  These two are the worst law enforcement personnel ever.

Bitchy Grandma comes clean and finally admits that she hated her children.  Can you feel the love ?

Quick question -- where did the car go that BG drove to the barn ?  When they left, they put BG in the Sheriff's truck and Henry rode in Marty's car -- where was the other car ?

Is Rachel still sitting at the railway crossing in the car ?  Has anyone noticed that Janine is dead yet ?  Since no is left to care about her, probably not.

Henry and Louise have a big blowup about BG and turns into a pissing contest about who is more damaged and who's to blame for Jacob's death.  Ouch !

That ending was just stupid -- Marty wakes up and realizes that he has to go to a field where Pastor James returned that had a bare spot in the shape of the birthmark on his back, where he then hears a rumbling underground only to watch what I think were katydids erupt from the ground and disperse in the shape of a tree, only to disappear moments later.  WTF ?

And then Pastor James, who is the resurrected church pastor from when Marty/Robert was alive the first time, tells Marty that this town is sick but together they will heal it.  Huh ?

ETA:  I must have blinked and missed that Bellamy spotted the car BG used to get to the barn, but why did they just leave it there ?  It's Henry's car.

And I was thinking that those insects at the end -- they might have been cicadas.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

This mess is off the rails. What was the point, exactly, of Grandma taking Jacob to sit in the barn in the rain? And yet another new character, Hoyt from True Blood, is going to "heal the town"? Just, what?

ETA: Otto, I posted at the same time as you. Glad I'm not the only confused watcher.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 3

Marty wakes up and realizes that he has to go to a field where Pastor James returned that had a bare spot in the shape of the birthmark on his back, where he then hears a rumbling underground only to watch what I think were katydids erupt from the ground and disperse in the shape of a tree, only to disappear moments later.  WTF ?

Locusts, I think.

I think Preacher James might be a grown-up version of Jacob.

• Love 1

Of all the unbelievable things in this show, Jenny just immediately accepting that some random grown man--a stranger to her--as her brother (and immediately hugging him!) was one of the hardest for me to swallow. Kids are generally shy around strangers anyway.

I yelled at the Langstons through my TV for picking up their cordless landline during the power outage and saying incredulously, "The phone's not working!" No shit; cordless phones use electricity.

Edited by bilgistic

Of all the unbelievable things in this show, Jenny just immediately accepting that some random grown man--a stranger to her--as her brother (and immediately hugging him!) was one of the hardest for me to swallow. Kids are generally shy around strangers anyway.

Marty's not a stranger to Jenny.  They met when her family first came back to Arcadia (since Marty was helping the Returned, I'm sure he spent some time with them off-camera.)  They also spent time together when Marty was at the holding center (wherever that is!) when he died and returned the 2nd time.

I remember them interacting some; I just didn't think it was enough time for her to be all, "Cool, random authority figure-slash-grownup. I'll live with you!" But then, he "lives" at Maggie's still, right? Oy, this show.

Lol, this episode. This whole series has been so transparent. You can see in each episode where the writers looked at viewer feedback and decided to go in a different direction. Last episode they saw that Pastor Tom and his boring wife weren't working so they dropped them (not even a mention of Rachel tonight), they saw the factory storyline wasn't working so they dropped that, and tonight they saw that Bitchy Grandma wasn't pulling in anything but the lols from the audience so they dropped her and her demons. This new pastor seems to be another shift for the show. I feel like they've changed directions too many times now.

• Love 2

This show is such a hot mess! So did bitchy Grandma go 'away'? Her and Fred were standing in the road out in the middle of nowhere waiting for someone? to come and pick her up and take her wherever and then Fred says she could stay at his cabin. She says no but gets in the truck. WTF?

What about poor dead Janine? Has anyone found her yet? And where is pregnant Rachel? Does Maggie not care about her since Pastor Tom died!

Hoyt from True Blood!!!! I thought the actor looked familiar! So he's going to heal the town? From what? And the preview? Are the writers just making up crap as they go along? Geez!

I can't defend this show a second longer. What in the hell was that I just watched? And the straw that broke the camel's back was the freaking previews! Really show? REALLY?

That was a ridiculous preview --

They kill off Henry and Pastor James claims he can accommodate resurrection requests. Considering that Pastor James just arrived, I'm curious how he "knows things", especially about the disappearing insects that Bellamy saw.

In addition to Janine and Rachel being completely dropped, what happened to Ray ?  He was the only real person infected and cured of the Resurrected virus -- does he have superpowers now ?  And what happened to the True Living guys -- was anyone arrested for assaulting Henry ?  Is Deputy Carl in jail for killing Pastor Tom ?  Because he should be.  And after all the hullabaloo about re-opening the Factory that basically drove the first 9 episodes, that sub-plot completely disappears as well.

I'm confused -- why was Jenny still dressed like she was from the 30s and talking about wearing pants when she was sitting in the bar with Maggie ?  She was dressed in modern clothing at the Federal Resurrected Facility, where she was wearing blue jeans when she met with Bellamy 4 episodes ago.  Did the Feds not let her keep the clothes they gave her ?

Are the writers just making up crap as they go along? Geez!

Survey says .... Yes !!!

• Love 1

For a moment there at the end with Bellamy when the ground rumbled I swear, I was expecting a Dome to pop up. That is NOT a good sign. This show is definitely going down the UTD path. Throw in whatever. It doesn't have to make sense, and it doesn't have to follow through on any of the previous storyline (and I use the term "storyline" loosely-as in pretending there is one.)

Really. I hated the whole Tom and his harem plot, but as has been mentioned, why is no one checking on the harem? Doesn't Law Enforcement have a responsiblity to notify next of kin? I mean, really, spend 10 minutes and wrap it up. Oh, well Janine is dead and Rachel drove in front of the train (here's hoping third times a charm). Too bad, and move on. But, no nothing.

So next week we are apparently supposed to be shocked and saddened because Henry dies. And this would be shocking and sad why? Note to writers: WE ALREADY KNOW NO ONE STAYS DEAD. 

Oh well. It will be over soon.

Edited by chlban

I was previously of the opinion that the showrunners have no real plan in mind and are just making the story up one episode at a time. I have now downgraded that opinion to the belief that the writers are penning each episode's script literally as it's being filmed. I am now going to continue to watch just to see how much more nonsensically aimless (or aimlessly nonsensical?) this show can get.

This show had potential. But they write it like that party game where you go around the room and each person adds one sentence to make a story. By the end, it's usually pretty silly. Except I've seen more continuity in stories written that way than in this series.

• Love 2
This show had potential. But they write it like that party game where you go around the room and each person adds one sentence to make a story.

Yes! This exactly. It feels like each episode goes off on a different angle than what was probably intended in the previous episode.

Well, it feels like they're trying to go somewhere but who knows where that is.  It's almost like the deeper into the hole they fall, the more desperate the writers get and the more crazily they try to dig themselves out, to no avail.

What?  Nobody liked Tom, Janine and Rachel?  Okay, we'll just kill two of 'em off and leave the other one about to kill herself and never mention them again (and pretend this isn't a show about how people can come back to life after they die or anything like that!).  I really hope the lack of the repulsive threesome this episode doesn't mean we don't get any closure on that story, but I have a feeling it does.  I hated that whole mess but you can't just leave Rachel sitting in front of the railroad tracks for all eternity.  That is just bad, bad storytelling.  Whoever hired these writers should get their money back.  I actually did kind of want to see what happened to her after she finally showed a little gumption and whacked Janine, LOL!

Others have already mentioned this but seriously what is the point of having Bitchy Grandma march off with Jacob, both of them basically declaring that they are ready to "go," but then showing them dilly dallying around the sawmill house, rehashing old history for no particular reason?

I get so tired of Lucille too.  She's always lashing out at everyone.  I get that she's been through a lot but so have a lot of the other characters.  The writers just use her to stir everything up worse.  She was perfectly happy to let Bitchy Grandma live in the house and cause trouble for the rest of the family.  It wasn't until Bitchy Grandma starts being a danger to Jacob that Lucille starts yelling at Henry for being happy about having his crazy mother back.  But I guess my even commenting on this is taking the writers too seriously - next week it will be Opposite Land and they will tell me that down is up and up is down so why am I even trying to make sense of any of this?

Also in the vein of trying to make sense of senselessness, how did Bellamy know that there would be a crop pattern cut out in the shape of his birthmark and that he should go check it out?

You're all saying that Janine is dead-- do we know that?  I assumed Rachel just knocked her unconscious.  Did I miss something?  And are we just assuming that the last scene of Rachel sitting close to the railroad tracks (she was not ON them in that scene) means that she killed herself afterwards?  Because I am so lost with all the comments about Janine & Rachel.  Granted, I have broken ribs and toes right now and have spent a lot of time on pain meds, so maybe this was all explained away and I was all "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" at the time.

I doubt it though.

What was the point, exactly, of Grandma taking Jacob to sit in the barn in the rain? And yet another new character, Hoyt from True Blood, is going to "heal the town"? Just, what?

Okay, I was going crazy trying to place where I recognized him from.  Thank you!

Did the Feds not let her keep the clothes they gave her ?

Budget cuts?

I feel like this show keeps totally changing directions.  Grandma was all about getting rid of the returned and now she's just going off to live in the federal holding pen? What about all the crap with the factory?  And how exactly did they magically cure the returned virus so fast?

You're all saying that Janine is dead-- do we know that?  I assumed Rachel just knocked her unconscious.  Did I miss something?  And are we just assuming that the last scene of Rachel sitting close to the railroad tracks (she was not ON them in that scene) means that she killed herself afterwards?  Because I am so lost with all the comments about Janine & Rachel.

No, as far as I know you haven't missed anything.  They haven't shown Rachel or Janine since Janine was lying on the floor and Rachel was in the car next to the railroad tracks.  It's possible that they are still going to be addressed.  It's just that neither one of them was shown or mentioned in this episode at all, and this show has a known propensity for unceremoniously jettisoning storylines and characters.  They did at least mention Tom so maybe we will still find out something about Rachel and/or Janine.  I wouldn't be surprised if it is just a "mention" though and we never see them again.  Anything could happen on this show.

In addition to Janine and Rachel being completely dropped, what happened to Ray ?  He was the only real person infected and cured of the Resurrected virus -- does he have superpowers now ?

I think Ray will turn out to be like Marty -- dead and resurrected as a young child and not aware of being a Returned.  Didn't Elaine have most of the care of him when they were kids, since dad (Caleb of the Terrible Toupee!) was never around?  I don't think she could have watched him every minute!  Quick accidental demise, quick return, no one the wiser.

I think Preacher James might be a grown-up version of Jacob.

I'm re-thinking that since he couldn't have searched for Rob-Arty in a 1930s flood, unless we're really getting into Loopers territory, and who needs that? ;-P

But still....James and Jacob are variants of the same name, from the Hebrew Ya'aqov.  The reign of James I (James VI of Scotland) is the Jacobean Era, and the supporters of the Stuart kings of England were the Jacobites.  Plus, Preacher James LOOKS like a grown-up Jacob.

I thought at first that the preacher was Tom returned. That's how alike they look to me. It didn't occur to me that he could be an alternate timeline version of Jacob, but on this show anything is possible.

But since Jenny recognized Pastor James from back in the 30s, I doubt he's Jacob.  Jenny said one thing to Pastor James I found interesting -- she said "I thought your were dead", which means that Pastor James likely died BEFORE Jenny died in the flood with the rest of her family.

I was previously of the opinion that the showrunners have no real plan in mind and are just making the story up one episode at a time. I have now downgraded that opinion to the belief that the writers are penning each episode's script literally as it's being filmed. I am now going to continue to watch just to see how much more nonsensically aimless (or aimlessly nonsensical?) this show can get.

That was exactly what I was thinking.  The show just reboots after each episode, there is no end game.

I wonder if the  random reappearance of the cicadas and focus on Bellamy's birthmark indicate that THIS is where the writers were going to go at the end of Season 1. They totally glossed over both of those things until this episode.  I wonder if they saw the handwriting on the wall and thought that maybe they should try that one thing they were going to originally do before they messed up.  Maybe Pastor James was originally supposed to be the focus of this season. 

• Love 2
I wonder if the  random reappearance of the cicadas and focus on Bellamy's birthmark indicate that THIS is where the writers were going to go at the end of Season 1.

I kind of hope so and that it means they are going to address it now.  It could be more interesting than the factory storyline.

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 1

I wonder if the  random reappearance of the cicadas and focus on Bellamy's birthmark indicate that THIS is where the writers were going to go at the end of Season 1. They totally glossed over both of those things until this episode.  I wonder if they saw the handwriting on the wall and thought that maybe they should try that one thing they were going to originally do before they messed up.  Maybe Pastor James was originally supposed to be the focus of this season. 

I like this idea.  They did show the cicadas and focus on the birthmark in the final episode of season 1 and then woosh - season 2 had a totally different vibe.  I like the idea that they might have decided to go back to what they had originally intended to do.

I just hope they have enough time to slap a conclusion on whatever they do because even if they are just making it up from one episode to another, I would like some kind of "final answer" and not just be left on a cliffhanger forever.

The idea of this new pastor being Jacob hadn't occurred to me, but that would have to mean that not only is Jacob a Returned, he's also a time traveler.  Either way, new guy seems creepy to me.

I fell asleep through half way through twice, but I think I got most of it.

Fortunately Jenny (Nadej k Bailey) has enough spunk to carry her through the randomness of the episode--unlike Jacob (Landon Gimenez) who seems to wander through the episode thinking: Why am I still playing an eight-year-old boy?

The Wild Sow, I think you might be on to something with this being looper territory. It would explain how comfortable the 1930s returned people are with each other's races. But then are there 2 Jacobs alive at the same time of different ages? Oy.

I thought at first that the preacher was Tom returned. That's how alike they look to me. It didn't occur to me that he could be an alternate timeline version of Jacob, but on this show anything is possible.

I did too! I actually had to get up and get closer to the screen to see that it was a different person (and then I had to ransack my brain to see where I recognized him from) 

Lol, this episode. This whole series has been so transparent. You can see in each episode where the writers looked at viewer feedback and decided to go in a different direction. Last episode they saw that Pastor Tom and his boring wife weren't working so they dropped them (not even a mention of Rachel tonight), they saw the factory storyline wasn't working so they dropped that, and tonight they saw that Bitchy Grandma wasn't pulling in anything but the lols from the audience so they dropped her and her demons. This new pastor seems to be another shift for the show. I feel like they've changed directions too many times now.

Highly unlikely since most of it was filmed before any viewer feedback.