Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 12/15/14

Jaded
  • Start Topic

If you watch the whole show, there was, at the end of the argument, a moment in which whoopi addressed Rosie as "lady". It wasn't when she referred to her a white lady. It was addressing her as lady in a dismissive way.

Oh my goodness!!!  I didn't hear/notice that.  Thank you very much & I am VERY sorry maryis1.

• Love 5

I'm glad that someone brought up the fact that Whoopi called Rosie O "Lady" at one point in the argument. Do I believe there are worse things than racism? Yes I do. And calling someone "lady" in an argument is very ugly. Especially when you know her name. To call someone whose name you know "lady" is an ugly thing to do. It's actually VERY hateful. Very, very hateful.

Hateful and demeaning. This is a fellow COLLEAGUE; she sees Rosie everyday. How incredibly insulting!

I strongly feel Whoopi is threatened by Rosie; threatened that Rosie will be seen as better than her, smarter, wiser, funnier. I think Whoopi intimidated the other (past) hosts and is afraid Rosie won't put up with her bullshit and back down. I so hope Rosie stands strong against Whoopi and does not allow her to do what Hasselbeck did in helping push her off the show.

Okay I need to step away. I am getting so pissed off again right now, I am seething at the "lady" bit. That is so wrong, on so many levels.

• Love 9

Watching the segment w/Rosie O and Marjorie the cookie lady was so heartwarming.  It took me back to the days of the Rosie O'Donnell Show.  I know the television landscape has changed since then, but I really think another version of her talk show would be welcome, and I don't consider the Ellen Show along the same lines at all.  I love the rapport that Rosie had w/Marjorie and how invested they are in each other's lives even if they don't speak every day/week.

I also caught where Whoopi was throwing shade at Rosie O's story about her friends son who asked who the guy was on the "t" when they were attending mass.  Rosie O was telling a cute story that was relevant to the topic at hand, but Whoopi had to go all angry and direct it at Rosie O.  What the hell was that about?  I was totally on Rosie O's side as well about the song "We Three Kings..."  Who the hell could figure out what the hell Whoopi was singing at the beginning, she was all over the place and then I finally figured out what she was trying to sing.  I wish I could be a fly on the wall backstage at this show.

I love the Nicole and Rosie P segments where they are together doing crafts or gift or whatever, those two do seem really friendly together and they make a great pair.

Enough with Mario Cantone, he is better in small doses, perhaps once a month and no more.

I watched Letterman last night and to be honest I couldn't figure out what Rosie was really on to promote but I did like Dave trying to get her to dish on the new co-hosts and Rosie cautiously stepping around it.  I like how she thought it was odd that Dave was asking her what some of the missteps were had during Nicole's tenure in the Bush administration.  Rosie could have gone off and thrown shade at all the arguing lately, but she was wise and kept civil b/c she knew there could be blowback later on.

• Love 11

There are so many great new posts after my last one last night.... but even though I am not going to quote them.... I did read them all.... what an intelligent group we have here.

I agree! Many are saying exactly what I am thinking - and expressing it so much better in the process. Thanks for that!

• Love 10

Watching the segment w/Rosie O and Marjorie the cookie lady was so heartwarming.  It took me back to the days of the Rosie O'Donnell Show.  I know the television landscape has changed since then, but I really think another version of her talk show would be welcome, and I don't consider the Ellen Show along the same lines at all.  I love the rapport that Rosie had w/Marjorie and how invested they are in each other's lives even if they don't speak every day/week.

Who knew watching today's taped show was the perfect antidote to yesterday's show.  I love Marjorie, it's always fun to hear her references to home.  The Y she referenced is where my kids had daycare for a couple summers; she lives just blocks away from the primary/middle school they attended.  She is a much loved touchstone in our area; happy to hear how wonderful her grandsons are doing!

I'm so miffed at Whoopi it even annoyed me that she was cuing in Rosie's kids, leave that for RO to do thank you very much.

I chuckled at Mario but I can see how he might grate, 

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 7

Whoopi calling Rosie "lady"

Here is the exchange:

Rosie: you don't have to be Black to know what  racism is!

Whoopi:  Yes you do!

Rosie: No you don't

Whoopi:  yes you do lady, yes you do!

And then Whoopi yells some more and says "keep your tweets to yourself"  

It was easy to miss, but the way she said it was full of anger.  

The thing is, Whoopi dug herself in a hole.  She ended up saying "that's why I can't accept that America is JUST a racist country.  Not everybody is, some white people get it. "    Who would argue with that?  

Edited by backformore
  • Love 10

Even though the show was taped today, it was totally worth watching for the Marjorie and RO segment.  I loved it.  I enjoyed the theater kids as well.  Mario needs new material but I'd rather listen to him than Whoopi.  That was the second best part of today's show - very little Whoopi although of course she did use what time she had to openly mock RO's cute kid story and not being able to decipher whatever the hell Whoopi was groaning about.   Nice. 

• Love 9

Whoopi calling Rosie "lady"

Here is the exchange:

Rosie: you don't have to be Black to know what  racism is!

Whoopi:  Yes you do!

Rosie: No you don't

Whoopi:  yes you do lady, yes you do!

And then Whoopi yells some more and says "keep your tweets to yourself"  

It was easy to miss, but the way she said it was full of anger.  

The thing is, Whoopi dug herself in a hole.  She ended up saying "that's why I can't accept that America is JUST a racist country.  Not everybody is, some white people get it. "    Who would argue with that?  

I read transcripts elsewhere, that credit Whoopi with saying "baby", not "lady".   I have no interest to revisit the episode.  I don't know if anyone else is willing.

This is not the place to discuss mod actions. 

I will say that posts are being removed when they do not follow the requests made in the mod note.

Today, I hid several posts that were pulling in outside sources instead of talking about what happened on the show.  

If you have questions, you can use the mod announcements thread or you can PM me and add Athena to the conversation.

Odd.. I watched the clip several times on YT and I thought it was very clear that she said baby. Which honestly makes more sense to me coming from Whoopi.

I missed hearing what she said when I watched the show. I just finished ff and rw'ing the youtube clip and Whoopi does say baby. I wasn't sure until I waited for her to say it and the third time it was baby.

I know I am in the minority here but I was glad to see some real give and take finally. RO stood her ground and Whoopi got animated. No split screen, thankfully. I don't agree with Whoopi but that is her opinion.

Whoopi has lived too long in her celebrity world. . JMHO

• Love 3

I missed hearing what she said when I watched the show. I just finished ff and rw'ing the youtube clip and Whoopi does say baby. I wasn't sure until I waited for her to say it and the third time it was baby.

I know I am in the minority here but I was glad to see some real give and take finally. RO stood her ground and Whoopi got animated. No split screen, thankfully. I don't agree with Whoopi but that is her opinion.

Whoopi has lived too long in her celebrity world. . JMHO

She often calls RosieO "baby." When I watched, I didn't pay that close attention though. Still, I find her so irritating and especially when she lectures listeners with "I don't want to hear from you."

Edited by mbutterfly
  • Love 1

She often calls RosieO "baby." When I watched, I didn't pay that close attention though. Still, I find her so irritating and especially when she lectures listeners with "I don't want to hear from you."

She calls lots of people "baby" and I don't find it to be an endearment from her, it's a placeholder and it comes off as very condescending anymore.

• Love 11
I don't agree with Whoopi but that is her opinion.

I agree too, Dissy, but it is difficult to watch Whoopi cram her opinion down our and her cohosts' throats several times on each show...and then have (take) the last word, while "explaining" to us that's "why it's called The View."   And now a word from our sponsors...............

• Love 12

I agree too, Dissy, but it is difficult to watch Whoopi cram her opinion down our and her cohosts' throats several times on each show...and then have (take) the last word, while "explaining" to us that's "why it's called The View."   And now a word from our sponsors...............

You're right, Former Nun. I dislike that also. I understand RO isn't going to press too hard because of her heart but at least there is some push back. I think Whoopi is going to push Rosie P too far one day and then who knows.

Although I have noticed if Whoopi talks long enough she will start to contradict herself. I think she makes up her opinions in the moment.

• Love 7

So, here's My View. Whoopi is mean. She sincerely believes she's the last word on any topic (especially as regards race), she never has an opinion on the peccadilloes of celebrities, she dresses badly, and her shoes are heinous. Well, maybe the shoes are art, but her patterned socks and clothing don't do the shoes any favors. She scolds the cohosts, the audience, and the viewers. She insults her cohosts by rolling her eyes, she's impatient, and she needs to stop with the uh-huhs, etc when someone else is talking. The stealing crap is getting very old. I was a huge fan of hers since her one woman show many years ago. She was so talented! This show, though, does her no favors and has inflated her ego into the stratosphere. Furthermore, I want to send her a few tweets a day. I don't.

• Love 24

Well, I got around to watching this week's episode, and Whoopi did say "baby" the second time around, not "lady", as she had said earlier about Rosie "being a white lady..." so there's that.

And Whoopi can just shut it. It's not stupidity when mall/store security only follow people of color...it's called racial profiling. And her assumption that it only happens in upscale stores, where the customers have money is STUPID. It happens in all stores, not just upscale ones, and Nicolle can also just STFU about this not being a racist country because we elected an African American president twice. Rosie and Ro weren't saying EVERYONE was racist, but that we are still a racist country, and the latter is still very much true.

And Katie Couric can also just STFU and disappear. Like Stephen Collins deserves a platform to "tell his truth"? What makes him different from any other sexual predator? Oh yes, he's a celebrity and he "promises" that he doesn't have those urges anymore or will never, ever, ever, do this very bad thing again. And I didn't care for the insinuation that if other women come forward, it will be because they're lying and he's a celebrity and they'll want something out of it. "Only 3 girls" Katie? Please. Just one was too much. I don't find this a fascinating or interesting story.  And then her saying that he was a deeply religious person, as if that excuses him? Please. It's as if she's been deaf, dumb and blind to all those priests who raped young boys. I'm sure they were all deeply religious too.

I also noticed how Rosie Perez just walked away before they faded to commercial...

• Love 15

I also noticed how Rosie Perez just walked away before they faded to commercial...

In my mind anyway, she went to check on RO to make sure she was not completely losing it.  The whole segment disgusted me, he's a fucking child molester (pedophile), period.end.of.discussion.

• Love 14

In my mind anyway, she went to check on RO to make sure she was not completely losing it.  The whole segment disgusted me, he's a fucking child molester (pedophile), period.end.of.discussion.

He's using the definition of pedophile as someone whose primary sexual interest is in children. It's a psychiatric diagnosis. He says he is not a pedophile. He is however, a child molester. There are people who molest children who are not pedophiles, meaning their primary sexual attraction is toward other adults. There are also pedophiles who never act on their impulses, so they are not child molesters. It might be splitting hairs, but one is a disorder of sexual attraction, the other describes criminal acts. Stephen Collins admits to the criminal acts, which is all that matters.

• Love 4

I don't understand how a child molester is not a pedophile, or a pedophile is not a child molestor.

Are you saying that there are pedophiles who do not act on their impulses? Is that possible?

Yes, it's possible. Just as there are people who are sexually attracted to adults but are celibate. Maybe my explanation wasn't clear.

Sometimes people for whatever reason, usually early experiences, are sexually attracted to children instead of adults. They have pedophilia. It's not a crime to have the disorder. It IS a crime to act on it by victimizing children.

Stephen Collins denies being a pedophile, but admits to sexual acts toward children . He is saying his primary sexual attraction is not for children. But that really doesn't matter. He molested a child, which is all that matters.

• Love 3

I don't want to beat this particular horse to death, but I really do wish, when Whoopi was going on about racism, that someone would have brought up how Gandhi, when he was a young man, a practicing attorney in South Africa, was kicked off the train where he was traveling first class, because he told the conductor he had first class tickets and had every right to be there.  It was because a White man saw he was sitting there and was offended.

This actually happened and wasn't dramatized for the movie's benefit.

Why do I feel that Whoopi would probably argue, no, that wasn't racism, but 'stupidity" and "boneheadedness" of the South Africans?

• Love 4

I don't have the stomach to rewatch Whoopi to see that she said baby instead of lady. I'll take everyone's word for it. No matter what came out of her mouth at the moment, her argument was horribly flawed.

And I do honestly think that if Rosie was arguing the point that Whoopi was, that Whoopi would have argued the opposite point. Because it was Rosie that said it. She seems ready to pounce on Rosie no matter what.

My 'fandom' of Whoopi is wearing really thin. I'm no big fan of Rosie's but Whoopi is getting less likeable by the day. And that leads me to watch Price Is Right I'm thinking...

• Love 5

Yes, it's possible. Just as there are people who are sexually attracted to adults but are celibate. Maybe my explanation wasn't clear.

Sometimes people for whatever reason, usually early experiences, are sexually attracted to children instead of adults. They have pedophilia. It's not a crime to have the disorder. It IS a crime to act on it by victimizing children.

Stephen Collins denies being a pedophile, but admits to sexual acts toward children . He is saying his primary sexual attraction is not for children. But that really doesn't matter. He molested a child, which is all that matters.

If a person acts whatever their "problem* is, to a victim it's a stupid distinction without a difference.  And it's muddy anyways, there are legions of married pedophiles with children.

I don't want to beat this particular horse to death, but I really do wish, when Whoopi was going on about racism, that someone would have brought up how Gandhi, when he was a young man, a practicing attorney in South Africa, was kicked off the train where he was traveling first class, because he told the conductor he had first class tickets and had every right to be there.  It was because a White man saw he was sitting there and was offended.

Whoopi could never understand the complexity of Gandhi's story.  Until that moment on the train, he never thought of himself as a man of color, he thought he was simply an Englishman.  In that moment, he experienced what all people of color experience.  Unlike Whoopi, he didn't claim ownership to racism, but instead worked to change the world for the better.

• Love 5