Type keyword(s) to search

S12: Last Chance Kitchen

cooksdelight
  • Start Topic

By contrast, the MasterChef: US forum on PTV has its very own steak thread. Since it is not specific to the show, but more like a Small Talk thread, I sort of view it as open to steak discussion from all corners of PTV. (Yes, we have a Food forum, but we also have this thread, which will remain in MC:US as long as I'm lead mod there.)

So, yeah, steak. And I hope Dougie comes back from LCK. I really do. I didn't dispute his elimination, but I'd like to see him cook his way back into the finale.

• Love 3

I was delighted to see Doug beat Adam who talks way too much and has the arrogance of a high school boy who talks big.  Doug is thoughtful and serious.  I very much doubt that Tom will let another chef come from LCK and win the whole thing so soon after Kristen but I'd love to see Doug do it.

I wouldn't mind Doug getting back in because he was just eliminated and will miss, at the most, two regular challenges before coming back in - not the same as half the season.  Plus, I like him the best!

• Love 2

Tom liked both dishes equally or so it appeared.  George's was very hot, that is the only comment that could have had a negative edge to it.  .Tom is no stranger to hot food so that stood out to me. I saw raw red onion on Doug's dish.  That is never good.  It is the strongest onion you can buy and with clams?  They aren't even good in a salad, just too overpowering.  

You can tell the quality of a restaurant by the color onions in the salad.  

I love red onions in any form.

So do we not yet know who is going to be plopped back into the competition?  (I don't have my TV hooked up to the internet, and there is no way I'm watching programming on my little 19-inch monitor, so I rely on commentary here to know what happened in LCK.)

• Love 2

But they'll compete against each other, so that only one LCK contestant joins the three existing finalists in the final four, and then we'll whittle down to the last two?  (As opposed to there being a competition among the final three plus both LCK contestants.)  It seems so unwieldy at this late stage, but maybe this is how it has always gone once LCK was introduced; I can't remember.

Edited by Bastet

George and Doug just battled it out -- both are already in Mexico.  We just have to wait till 1/28 to find out who ends up in the final final of TC.

Re Red onions:  The problem (which btw, I did not see in Dougie's dish tonight) is that "cooks" (not chefs) tend to leave the onion in huge siices IMO, vs using very paper thin slices (the latter is very edible and can enhance a dish).  I asked a restaurant cook once why they did that and he said so people could pick it out of their food.  I politely suggested that if he cut it up very finely maybe people would eat it instead, and he was taken aback at that thought (perhaps they don't teach that in commercial kitchens?).  The other way is to blanch the onion briefly to remove the strong flavor, or heaven forbid, pickle the damn thing.

• Love 1

Why did I think they were going to tell us who made it this week? I should know better, they always leave us hanging. Please don't bring back sweaty George, please.

• Love 1

Why did I think they were going to tell us who made it this week? I should know better, they always leave us hanging. Please don't bring back sweaty George, please.

I fell for it, too GaT. Hook, line & sinker. I had the nerve to be all: Wait. Whaaaat? They're not gonna tell us yet? at the end there. I felt like a sucker. Good to know it wasn't just me, lol.

And the sweat running off of George's (otherwise handsome) nose? Ewwwwww, so gross!

• Love 1

I love red onions in any form.

So do we not yet know who is going to be plopped back into the competition?  (I don't have my TV hooked up to the internet, and there is no way I'm watching programming on my little 19-inch monitor, so I rely on commentary here to know what happened in LCK.)

Bastet - I love red onions, too, and have been lucky enough to find several that were quite mild.

I refuse to watch anything on my laptop (save for the occasional animal clip), so Bravo can take their web show and shove it.

I fell for it, too GaT. Hook, line & sinker. I had the nerve to be all: Wait. Whaaaat? They're not gonna tell us yet? at the end there. I felt like a sucker. Good to know it wasn't just me, lol.

And the sweat running off of George's (otherwise handsome) nose? Ewwwwww, so gross!

I don't know the ridiculous suspense gimmick is supposed to be more engaging than knowing who's in the final and looking forward to seeing them compete. They should have more faith in the appeal of the cheftestants.

Would the NFL say, "Well, we're not going to show you the Seattle/Green Pay overtime results until the Super Bowl pregame show. Suspense!"

I know, I should have known better--when the b.s. see you in Mexico card got played, I had to wonder wtf I was thinking wasting time watching it. I'm hoping George's spicy dish wasn't as well balanced as Doug's and that the last we'll see of Wet George is wishing everyone good luck in the finals--from the beach.

I wish I had read through this thread before wasting 15 minutes watching the recent LCK. What a waste of time. I'll be even more annoyed if there's still no definitive resolution between Doug and George on Wednesday's episode. 

I'd like to see this come down to Mei and Doug. Gregory seems to have crashed and burned in later episodes but floated through on the strength of his earlier success.

• Love 3

Which is why I didn't bother to watch, since I knew they would not tell us.  Bah humbug.  Dear Top Chef - I don't think withholding the winner of LCK is going to make viewers any more excited about the final.  I'm guessing that the people watching the internet competition will still watch or not watch whether you show the winner or now.

Last year, didn't the three finalists judge the food of the two competing to get back in from LCK in a blind tasting? See, Tom....what a good idea blind tastings are? The best food got Louis back in, with a dramatic flourish of big palm fronds. I expect the same treatment this time around.

I disagree about last season. That blind tasting was really not so "blind".  All the contestants knew Carlos' cooking style (Mexican) well. Not to mention, they disliked Carlos. I thought having the finalists judge the last LCK was a bad idea.  

Not that having Tom judge is any better. He has his biases and it's also a better narrative to have one person dominate in LCK and then return to the main competition. I think it's questionable that any contestant can really win that many LCK head-to-head challenges in a row. Maybe that's why they changed it to top 2 advancing from each LCK...seems more realistic that a contestant can endure multiple LCKs that way.

Edited by Noreaster
  • Love 1