Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling: Hail to the Gods

caracas1914
  • Start Topic

ABC is also airing new episodes Thursday night.

I figured it had to do with scheduling. I'm guessing the CW couldn't figure out another week to air new episodes of SPN and Arrow so that their season finales would air the same week as the other shows and they may not want the finales to air a week later?

(I think it's the same reasoning for ABC: scheduling - premiering the Grey's spin-off/wrapping up Scandal and HTGAWM.) 

From most accounts, last week was all kinds of stupid and this week's certainly appears to be heading that way based on the focus, the promo and the stills so I'll definitely not be watching again. It looks like it's going to be a screech-fest and I just DGAF about the birds. So I'll be brushing up on the salchows and toe loops.

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 2

Unrounded finals for last week from RJK at SpottedRatings.com: (some L+3 included)

CW
The Flash ............................ 0.884 ......... 1.472
Black Lightning ................... 0.760 .......... 1.215
Supergirl ............................. 0.587 .......... 0.905
Supernatural ....................... 0.560
Riverdale ............................ 0.482 .......... 0.805
Arrow .................................. 0.409
Jane the Virgin ................... 0.289
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend ............. 0.234
Valor ................................... 0.222 .......... 0.313
Dynasty .............................. 0.192 .......... 0.272

Live+7 ratings for week 18:

Arrow (6x11): 0.8 in A18-49 and 2.335 million viewers

Supergirl (3x11): 1.0 in A18-49 and 3.208 million viewers

The Flash (4x11): 1.4 in A18-49 and 3.811 million viewers

Riverdale (2x11): 1.0 in A18-49 and 2.538 million viewers

Black Lightning (1x02): 1.3 in A18-49 and 3.484 million viewers

Supernatural (13x11): 1.1 in A18-49 and 3.029 million viewers

Jane The Virgin (4x08): 0.6 in A18-49 and 1.391 million viewers

Live + SD unrounded finals for the CW for last week (from RJK at SpottedRatings.com):

The Flash .............................. 0.795
Black Lightning ...................... 0.645
Supernatural .......................... 0.566
Supergirl ................................ 0.552
Riverdale ............................... 0.460
Arrow ..................................... 0.428
Jane the Virgin ...................... 0.320
Whose Line hour (r) .............. 0.291
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend ................ 0.218
Dynasty ................................. 0.186

1 minute ago, Mellowyellow said:

If s7 is Arrow's last when would they decide on that? Would they get time to write an ending or would it be suddenly "Hey it's your last season."

Hard to say.  The good news is that even when they cancel shows with limited runs (like my beloved "No Tomorrow") they filmed a short and posted it on their site to give fans some closure.  I would think for their veteran shows they would want things to be nicely wrapped up.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

If s7 is Arrow's last when would they decide on that? Would they get time to write an ending or would it be suddenly "Hey it's your last season."

They Would know at least by January. CW is very good at letting their shows know when they plan on ending them. It is a huge selling point to Netflix to have shows with proper endings. 

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

They Would know at least by January. CW is very good at letting their shows know when they plan on ending them. It is a huge selling point to Netflix to have shows with proper endings. 

That's interesting about it being a selling point to Netflix. Makes total sense, but I hadn't ever thought about that.

1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

Even if they decide to end Arrow it won't (IMO) be with S7. They will more than likely renew Arrow for a shortened S8 (13-16 episodes). That's what they did for TVD and The Originals.

1 hour ago, Primal Slayer said:

(blinks)

1. No, the CW is not very good at letting their shows know when they plan on ending them - several showrunners have been very clear on this point. The CW didn't, for instance, let Reign know that the fourth season would be its last until after Reign had scripted its season finale - leaving Reign scrambling and ending up needing to make an emergency casting call and writing its series finale scenes on set. I mean, yes, I think we can all agree that Reign really should have seen that cancellation coming, but they didn't.

Reign is hardly the only CW show to make this complaint. 

2. No, it's not a huge selling point to Netflix to have shows with proper endings. This includes their own in-house shows - the Sense8 guys had to actually fight to get a proper ending (though, to be fair, that was partly because that was an extremely expensive show).

With the CW specifically, Netflix has said that Arrow and Flash are two of their more popular shows, and are streamed more than The Vampire Diaries - even though as of right now, neither has a proper ending. 

3. The CW doesn't need to inform WB Television or CBS Television Studios of their renewal decisions until a couple months prior to filming - one reason why their decision a few years ago to announce renewals in January took everyone by surprise; they didn't need to make those announcements until April or even May. Same thing is true for all of the Arrowverse shows.

All that said, given that Berlanti is currently providing a good half of the CW's original content, the CW presumably will want to give him a bit more of a heads up.  Or Berlanti might want to make sure that Arrow and the other DC shows get some sort of proper ending, and try to work out some sort of timing thing with the CW in advance, so that everyone knows, going in, that season 7/8/whatever is the last. Or not - given the Arrowverse setup, Arrow could easily have an unplanned "whoops, we got cancelled" ending, and have its actual goodbye/ending over on one of the other shows. Sure, I think Arrow fans would be upset, but the structure is there.

• Love 2

giphy.gif

I remember reading it somewhere awhile ago and I believe it. Just because Netflix may want tv shows that they acquire to have an ending, doesn't mean they would follow that practice with their own shows. Especially when they are spending more money producing a show then acquiring a show from a network.

Since 2013/2014 they've been pretty good with giving Gossip Girl, Nikita, TVD, TO a heads up and allowing them to end properly. I doubt they would cancel Arrow last minute, even if they treat it like crap right now.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, thegirlsleuth said:

I wonder whether with the launch of the DC streaming app this year whether they could continue a show's run there after they were cancelled on the CW.

Or alternatively they could spin off the newbies onto their own show.  I like that idea, too.

Snarkiness aside would anyone actually watch them?

I'd rather watch the Real Housewives and that's saying a lot. 

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

I'm not sure how valuable that information is today - Netflix canceled one of its own shows without the intention of giving it a final episode. 

Also, is that article based at all in fact? Unless I missed one, he doesn't cite any actual references, just that people won't binge watch if there isn't a final episode (which I'm not sure many people would even realize unless they wanted to be spoiled for the series). 

1 hour ago, Primal Slayer said:

giphy.gif

I remember reading it somewhere awhile ago and I believe it. Just because Netflix may want tv shows that they acquire to have an ending, doesn't mean they would follow that practice with their own shows. Especially when they are spending more money producing a show then acquiring a show from a network.

1. Netflix doesn't produce any shows. 

2. Netflix doesn't always spend more money on Netflix Originals (aka, The Crown, Narcos, etc.) than on second-run shows. It depends upon the show. The Crown (a Sony Television Studios production, not a Netflix production), sure.  For One Day at a Time (also a Sony Television Studios production), no - they've spent more to license second-run shows and films.

Since 2013/2014 they've been pretty good with giving Gossip Girl, Nikita, TVD, TO a heads up

1. Gossip Girl ended in 2012 - that is, before 2013/2014 - but although they headed into season six knowing that yes, it would be their last season (heads up), they were not given a specific episode order and were more than midway through filming the season before finding out just how many episodes they would have to provide the CW for the season anywhere from 10 to 13. 

2. Reign ended in 2017 - that is, post 2013/2014 - and was not given a heads up.

3. Beauty and the Beast, which ended in 2015, was told that they would be cancelled just as they started to film what turned out to be their next-to-last episode. Their live numbers had actually improved in their third season (admittedly, "improved" in this case really doesn't mean much) and the showrunners later stated that they were under the impression that a fifth 13 episode season was a possibility before the cancellation notice.

4. The rapidly cancelled Frequency and No Tomorrow did not get a heads up either. 

5. Nikita is probably the best case for your argument - the CW did order a final season of six episodes in order to close out the show, partly to ensure that the show would appeal to Netflix. That, though, was back in 2013 - back when the CW and WB/CBS were selling shows to Netflix indvidually. 

3 hours ago, thegirlsleuth said:

I wonder whether with the launch of the DC streaming app this year whether they could continue a show's run there after they were cancelled on the CW.

Yes. They can also do this with the DC shows on other networks if those shows get cancelled.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

It is no surprise that the network would give brand new shows a heads up but the longer the show, the audience would expect/hope for an ending. Being Pretty Good At Giving A Heads Up doesn't mean they are 100% great at it.

My point is that they haven't been pretty good at giving a heads up in the last few years, even with the longer running shows.  (Including The Vampire Diaries.)  To the contrary, in the past five years they've done this all of twice - once for Nikita, which was given only six episodes to wrap things up, and once with The Originals.

Look, I actually do think that the CW will give a bit of a heads up to Berlanti, just because he's producing so many of their shows right now, and all of their most popular shows except for Supernatural. I'm just saying that your premise for this - that the CW has a habit of this - is factually wrong.  Twice in the past five years is not a habit.  And Nikita happened back in the days where the CW had to convince Netflix to take on shows, one by one, not these days, where the CW/CBS made a profit on Dynasty through Netflix before a single episode even aired - and without any sort of hint or promise of a proper ending. Because, again, that's not what Netflix is looking for. 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, quarks said:

My point is that they haven't been pretty good at giving a heads up in the last few years, even with the longer running shows.  (Including The Vampire Diaries.)  To the contrary, in the past five years they've done this all of twice - once for Nikita, which was given only six episodes to wrap things up, and once with The Originals.

For the record, Nikita, The Originals and The Vampire Diaries makes three shows that were given a heads up. I don't know off the top of my head which other CW shows ended in the last few years but those three were all long running shows that were given a heads up that their final season would be the end. And I'd expect the same for Arrow.

1 hour ago, paulvdb said:

For the record, Nikita, The Originals and The Vampire Diaries makes three shows that were given a heads up. I don't know off the top of my head which other CW shows ended in the last few years but those three were all long running shows that were given a heads up that their final season would be the end. And I'd expect the same for Arrow.

I was thinking about TVD and I think that's a different circumstance. When The CW renewed it, it wasn't for a final season (that I recall). It was after both Cat Graham and Ian Somerholder declared publicly that S8 was there last, that we got a final season announcement (at SDCC IIRC). 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/vampire-diaries-boss-reveals-she-decided-season-8-would-be-end-984298

If Plec is to be believed it was her decision, not the CWs to end with S8, in part because of actor departures and contract negotiations (IIRC Paul Wesley was in contract talks unlike Ian who had already determined he was done).

The Originals is a definite heads up and Nikita was canceled but given a final 8 episode order to wrap their story up (at the time many thought it was to get to enough episodes for syndication)

Edited by Morrigan2575

I didn't remember all the details about TVD, but since it was known in advance that season 8 would be the last I would count it as a show that got a heads up. Although it is of course possible that the CW would have cancelled it without much notice if those other factors hadn't already led to the cancellation decision.

Another show I remember is Hart of Dixie. I don't think the final season was officially announced, but I remember that it was generally assumed that it would be the final season and the finale felt like a series finale so the writers and producers probably already knew or at least expected that it would be the final season.

2 hours ago, paulvdb said:

I didn't remember all the details about TVD, but since it was known in advance that season 8 would be the last I would count it as a show that got a heads up. Although it is of course possible that the CW would have cancelled it without much notice if those other factors hadn't already led to the cancellation decision.

But it didn't get a heads up. In fact Plec says this in the article I linked.

"[The CW president Mark Pedowitz] doesn't typically like to commit to being the last season of the show in case it isn't the last season of a show," co-creator Julie Plec tells THR.

Also mentioned in the article, Plec decided it was the final season not Pedowitz. He didn't cancel the show and, tell them this is your final season. The Show Runner knew she lost 2 of her lead actors and, 1 was in negotiations that could have fell through.

So no, that's not a situation where The CW gave the show runner a heads up. In fact it's the exact opposite, the Show Runner said this is our last year.

Another show I remember is Hart of Dixie. I don't think the final season was officially announced, but I remember that it was generally assumed that it would be the final season and the finale felt like a series finale so the writers and producers probably already knew or at least expected that it would be the final season.

Hart of Dixie was canceled in May (right around Up Fronts).

Long after the season wrapped. The CW didn't give them a heads up. The Show Runners knew they were on shakey grounds and, wrote a series finale to be safe. Again, no heads up from the Network, just a a show runner that knew how to read tea leaves.

From the EW article linked above

Back in the winter, when the CW renewed eight series, Hart of Dixie was not one of them. In addition, on the night of the season 4 finale in late March, creator Leila Gerstein (who had previously told fans to “buckle up” for the final three episodes) fans and the show’s stars tweeted sentimentally about the end of the series, treating that episode as the likely farewell.

"We have to see the ratings," he (Pedowitz) said during the 2015 TCA Press Tour prior to the show's cancelation. He then talked about the season four finale, saying, "If [Hart of Dixie] ends, it's a great series finale. And if it doesn't end, it's a great season finale."

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, paulvdb said:

For the record, since 2013, the CW has cancelled the following prime time scripted shows:

Nikita (2013, three seasons/6 follow up episodes), Cult (2013, one season, 13 episodes), The Carrie Diaries (2014, two seasons), The Tomorrow People (2014, one full season), Star-Crossed (2014, one season, 13 episodes), Significant Mother (2015, one of the CW's rare forays into sitcoms; originally developed for the CW Seed, released in August as part of the CW's attempt to to provide year round programming, 9 episodes), The Messengers (2015, 13 episodes),  Hart of Dixie (2015, three full seasons, one 10 episode season), Beauty and the Beast (2016, two full length seasons, two shorter seasons), Containment (2016, one 13 ep season), Frequency (2017, 1 13 episode season), No Tomorrow (2017, 13 episodes) Reign (2017, 2 full length seasons, 2 shorter seasons), The Originals (2018, 3 full length seasons, 2 shorter seasons), and The Vampire Diaries.

Most of those, of course, were just short one episode seasons - but even there, interestingly enough, Frequency did not receive an official cancellation notice until May 2017 - months after its last episode aired in January 2017. It had better live numbers/ratings than Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, and its showrunners said a second season was under consideration as late as April 2017.  The CW was reportedly still considering a second season of The Tomorrow People as late as March 2014, when The Tomorrow People was filming its last episodes.

Of the rest, six can be considered somewhat long running or long running shows (Nikita, Hart of Dixie, Beauty and the Beast, Reign, The Vampire Diaries, and The Originals.) As Morrigan2575 noted above, Hart of Dixie did not get a heads up. Nor did Reign or Beauty and the Beast. That's a good half of the recently cancelled long running shows. If we add in The Carrie Diaries, which also did not get a heads up (although, as with Hart of Dixie, its showrunners read the tea leaves, and it only ran for two seasons), it's more than half.

Of the remaining three, as Morrigan2575 also noted, The Vampire Diaries didn't get a heads up because it wasn't exactly cancelled by the CW - the actors/showrunners quit. After the finale ended, the writers noted that they didn't have as much time to end one of the couples (either Damon/Elena or Stefan/Elena, I forget) the way they had originally hoped to. Nikita is a somewhat unusual case - I've just checked, and a) they did not get a heads up that they were getting cancelled until after the third season stopped filming, and b) since they were not warned in time to wrap up their storyline, Warner Bros Television asked for additional episodes so that they could wrap up the show, making it an easier sell to a streaming service. They requested 10 episodes and got six.  

Since all of the current CW shows are already sold to Netflix and are available for purchase on Amazon/Google Play/iTunes, that same situation doesn't apply to anything currently on the CW.  

Look, to repeat again, I'm pretty confident that Arrow and Flash will get some advanced notice - assuming that the shows don't follow the example of The Vampire Diaries and tell the CW that they're out, rather than vice versa.  But not because the CW tends to give their shows advance notice of cancellations - recent history suggests the direct opposite. I think that the CW will make an exception for these shows because Flash has been their flagship show for four seasons now (with Arrow right behind it until the last third of its fourth season) and because Berlanti is producing more than half of their current content, and even with the Sunday night expansion, will still be producing about half of their current content.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, quarks said:

Look, to repeat again, I'm pretty confident that Arrow and Flash will get some advanced notice - assuming that the shows don't follow the example of The Vampire Diaries and tell the CW that they're out, rather than vice versa.  But not because the CW tends to give their shows advance notice of cancellations - recent history suggests the direct opposite. I think that the CW will make an exception for these shows because Flash has been their flagship show for four seasons now (with Arrow right behind it until the last third of its fourth season) and because Berlanti is producing more than half of their current content, and even with the Sunday night expansion, will still be producing about half of their current content.

Oh yeah, I totally think CW will give Berlanti/WB a heads up for Arrow and Flash. Hell, I don't even think Arrow is in that much danger, especially with the 6th programming night and, the fact that CW can't launch anything outside of Berlanti/DC shows.

I'm fairly comfortable I'm the belief that Arrow is getting a S7 and a S8 (provided SA signs on). 

I just don't think the CW is very good at telling shows in advance...which really is the same for most networking...hello dip shits at TNT. ?

• Love 2

Live+7 ratings for week 19:

Arrow (6x12): 0.8 in A18-49 and 2.135 million viewers

Supergirl (3x12): 1.0 in A18-49 and 3.322 million viewers

The Flash (4x12): 1.7 in A18-49 and 4.431 million viewers

Riverdale (2x12): 1.0 in A18-49 and 2.395 million viewers

Black Lightning (1x03): 1.4 in A18-49 and 3.766 million viewers

Supernatural (13x12): 1.0 in A18-49 and 2.628 million viewers

Jane The Virgin (4x09): 0.6 in A18-49 and 1.277 million viewers

• Love 1
(edited)

Definitely isn't a good look that Arrow is about 3 years older than LoT and in a tougher time slot and is performing roughly the same in terms of demo as them...

Edited by WindofChange
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, WindofChange said:

Definitely isn't a good look that Arrow is about 3 years older than LoT and in a tougher time slot and is performing roughly the same in terms of demo as them...

LoT is also pulling lower ratings in the Supergirl timeslot, which isn't good. Not that it super matters, I expect all 5 shows will get renewed. 

(edited)

Here's the preliminary unrounded from RJK at SpottedRatings.com (updated with half-hours):

Supernatural ... 0.558 ... (0.576 ... 0.540)
Arrow ... 0.408 ... (0.425 ... 0.391)

Edited by Starfish35
Updated with half-hours
  • Love 1
(edited)

Finals.  Demo stayed the same.  Viewers dropped about 64K from preliminary numbers.

IMG_0819.PNG

That would be a 14.3% drop in viewership from 6.13 (1.296 million viewers).  11.0% drop for Supernatural.

IMG_0820.PNG

Edited by Starfish35
(edited)

Those unrounded demos are higher than I expected considering the viewership numbers.

Arrow is taking another 3 week hiatus after 6.15 (rerunning 612 and 613 during that break). 615 not only has to be good, it also needs to end with a good hook to bring people back, otherwise the break and the usual Daylight Savings Time-related drop is going to hit the ratings hard.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 5
(edited)
39 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Why are they taking another break? Did they do this last year? I can't remember!

No, last year they took one week off between 515 and 516, and then three weeks off between 518 and 519.

Theoretically, they could run 616-623 uninterrupted, though, putting the season finale on May 17.  But if the season finale is May 24, there'll be another week off somewhere.

Edited by Starfish35
(edited)

In-season ratings drops in viewership to date:

• Black Lightning -29.0% (2.305 million to 1.636 million)
  • Arrow -27.0% (1.522 million to 1.111 million)
  • The Flash -25.5% (2.844 million to 2.120 million)
  • Legends of Tomorrow -11.7% (1.711 million to 1.511 million)
  • Supergirl +13.5% (1.867 million to 2.119 million)

In-season ratings drops in demo (using most recent preliminary unrounded numbers):

• Arrow -32.1% (0.601 to 0.408)
  • Black Lightning -31.7% (0.773 to 0.528)
  • The Flash -31.6% (1.052 to 0.720)
  • Legends of Tomorrow -25.5% (0.565 to 0.421)
  • Supergirl +4.0% (0.531 to 0.552)

All ratings history from SpottedRatings.com.

Edited by Starfish35
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Was the 3 week break we just had a normal one? Feels like there are so many breaks!

No, they usually break after episode 15 (or 16 in season one)  They didn't this year and in season two because of the Winter Olympics.

Or....to be more accurate, in both this season and season two, they had a break between episodes 13 and 14 for the Winter Olympics.  They will take another break after episode 15 - two weeks this time.  They took a one-week break after episode 15 in season two.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1
(edited)

The non-Olympic years have a spring hiatus that to me usually feels like forever just when it starts to get nice outside so I think I prefer the schedule this year.  

Edited by BkWurm1