Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling: Hail to the Gods

caracas1914
  • Start Topic

17 hours ago, tv echo said:

I think the ratings for tomorrow's Arrow will go up. There's no Lethal Weapon and no Blindspot airing this week. Arrow's time slot competition tomorrow night is Hunted (CBS), The Goldbergs (ABC), Law and Order: SVU (NBC), and Showtime at the Apollo (Fox). Plus, I think people will be curious about this new female vigilante with the canary cry.

I think .7 at most.

Edited by AyChihuahua
1 minute ago, LeighAn said:

But the demo is the same right? From what I've been told demo is what counts. So I guessing 0.6 is now Arrows base audience unless it drops in the spring.

Well 18-34 demo numbers is their saving grace for this episode

2 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

For the past episodes it was 0.5. The same number LOT and Supergirl did this week.  I am not sure how Arrow managed to squeeze past them here. 

Unless Lethal Weapon has really stolen their audience and people came back to Arrow for a week? *shrug*

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Oh, OK thanks.

This is interesting. Looking at SpoilerTV. 

511 - 0.6 (18-34), 0.8 (25-34), 0.7 (18-48) - 1.94 million

508 - 0.6 (18-34), 0.8 (25-34), 0.6 (18-49) - 1.95 million.

Odd

Do you mean 5x09?

Just had a thought, I guess this blows my theory that Lethal Weapon was poaching Arrow's audience out of the water? I mean no LW, no Survivor and Arrow got exactly what it did for 509 and a couple of times already this season (502, 506 and 509) assuming it adjusts up to a 0.7

Edited by Morrigan2575

Does anyone think that the producers thought the new canary would be a draw? Because I consider the viewer decline to be a lot even though they are in S5. Usually the drop happens in spring. But these numbers shouldn't drop further. At least, I see it that way even though I am no expert.

I think it's too early to tell whether the new BC will be a ratings draw. Her name was only just revealed. I'd wait until she gets the BC costume and then see if people will tune in for that. But I don't see many viewers coming back. I think s4 really screwed the show over and these are just their normal numbers now. 

5 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

I think it's too early to tell whether the new BC will be a ratings draw. Her name was only just revealed. I'd wait until she gets the BC costume and then see if people will tune in for that. 

I'm just not sure who exactly she's supposed to draw in? The only people who would even care about Dinah Drake are comic readers, and any of them who have tuned out because of the show's divergence from canon are probably unlikely to tune back in at this point, and if some do then the effect on the ratings would probably be pretty negligible. 

• Love 4

The show spent all of 5A presumably trying to lure back viewers with comics! action! no icky feelings! and has been universally praised by all the usual comics media outlets, but the audience numbers (and social media trends) still haven't improved. On other forums people were speculating that it would take time for positive word-of-mouth to spread, but I think we should be seeing results by now if there were any.

• Love 16
9 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

I'm just not sure who exactly she's supposed to draw in? The only people who would even care about Dinah Drake are comic readers, and any of them who have tuned out because of the show's divergence from canon are probably unlikely to tune back in at this point, and if some do then the effect on the ratings would probably be pretty negligible. 

IDK either tbh. LOL. Personally I think they lost more general audience than comic book readers so I don't think the news of a new BC will make any difference. But if they do expect her to be a ratings draw, it's still too early to make that call.

Edited by Guest
13 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

IDK either tbh. LOL. Personally I think they lost more general audience than comic book readers so I don't think the news of a new BC will make any difference. 

There is no possible way to separate general audience from comic book readers or shippers or people who are afraid of turtles or left-handed people, so if they're marketing the show towards unmeasurable variables they're arbitrarily giving viewers, they are even bigger morons than we think they are.

They lost 600k viewers after 415 that they never really recovered. Since there is no possible way to know for sure why so many people quit then -- or what kind of fans they were -- I think they made a super simplistic choice of course-correction: the baby mama drama + O/F relationship drama drove people away. What's the antithesis of that? Action packed noromos.

And then it didn't work for them.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 20
1 hour ago, lemotomato said:

The show spent all of 5A presumably trying to lure back viewers with comics! action! no icky feelings! and has been universally praised by all the usual comics media outlets, but the audience numbers (and social media trends) still haven't improved. On other forums people were speculating that it would take time for positive word-of-mouth to spread, but I think we should be seeing results by now if there were any.

This season is half over. Are they spreading that word-of-mouth by carrier pigeon? With social media and texting, word-of-mouth shouldn't be a problem. Yet wait... this summer, we'll still read complaints that Olicity killed Arrow, ignoring the fact that the show will probably have spent an entire season in the No Olicity Romance Zone.

As for the Arrow EPs, I think they're just writing the stories that they want to see and they're all big comics fans. Being on The CW, they probably don't care about ratings... unless they really nose-dive. But the show is already renewed for S6.

If you read the 2012 interviews back when Arrow first debuted, the EPs de-emphasized the comics/superhero elements and stressed the drama, characters and relationships. With the success of The Flash, Supergirl, etc. and their expanded Arrowverse, it's like they now feel free to go all out comics-wise.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 8
58 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Are they spreading that word-of-mouth by carrier pigeon?

What a nice thought, MG and his staff at a window with a little birdy: Fly, pretty bird, fly! Where are you going? In the other direction! Other direction!!!! ..Sigh...We have to get another bird.

Edited by Belinea
  • Love 11

Out of curiosity I decided to look up what Gossip Girl and Vampire Diaries ratings were at the same point to see if Arrow was on par.

In season 5 by episode 11 Gossip Girl was averaging an 0.6 demo and between 1.3-1.5 million viewers.

In season 5 by episode 11 Vampire Diaries was averaging a 1.1 demo and between 2.5-2.9 million viewers.

Since Arrows ratings seemed closer to Gossip Girls ratings I looked at what their numbers were post Spring hiatus.

In the spring they averaged a 0.52 demo and between 1-1.3 million viewers with one episode going down to 0.4 demo.

The show then maintained that 0.5 demo through season 6 and then was cancelled.

So it's quite possible to me that Arrow could still go down more in the spring if we were to use Gossip Girl as a comparison in CW trends.

5 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

@LeighAn When did Dair happen? Was the S5?

Arrow has been signed for S7 right?

Season 5 post winter hiatus but it was heavily built up prior to that.

Stephen said he was contracted to 2019 which implies a seventh season but that doesn't mean the network has to renew through season 7.

That being said I think they will probably go to 7 but if the shows bringing them 0.5-0.4 demos or lower on multi million dollar episode budgets it'll be interesting to see if they'll renew actors contracts for more seasons. Particularly since I could see Stephen asking for a hefty pay rise. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Yeah I agree, they'll get at least seven seasons.  

SPN tonight - will it beat Arrow again or not? 

SPN is my show, so I hope it gets a 0.7, it won't come close in viewers. 

Edited by Morrigan2575

To put things in perspective, here are the average season-to-season differences in ratings (compiled from this site):

Capture.JPG.e8b765f89ad60c32dec691bc5628b4bd.JPG

510 and 511 demos were 45% lower compared to 410/411. 

I understand that the traditional ratings system doesn't show the whole picture, but damn.

• Love 14
6 hours ago, lemotomato said:

To put things in perspective, here are the average season-to-season differences in ratings (compiled from this site):

Capture.JPG.e8b765f89ad60c32dec691bc5628b4bd.JPG

510 and 511 demos were 45% lower compared to 410/411. 

I understand that the traditional ratings system doesn't show the whole picture, but damn.

Thanks for the numbers!

Arrow has pretty unusual numbers for S3 and S4 -- the usual for CW shows is a steady decline season to season, so a rando 5 year show is more or less where Arrow is right now anyway. Whereas Arrow held those supernaturally steady ratings for S3 and 4A. And then the dam broke.

Which -- the dam broke in 2B as well. The crossover saved them. It inflated the ratings BIG TIME in S3, then did it again with less intensity in S4. Which I'm sure everyone was counting on happening again in S5. Except... the thing that was  artificially keeping Arrow ratings steady stopped working after this exodus. Barry Allen, you have failed this city.

• Love 8
23 hours ago, LeighAn said:

But the demo is the same right? From what I've been told demo is what counts. So I guessing 0.6 is now Arrows base audience unless it drops in the spring.

I expect demo to hit that 0.5 towards spring. Unless it goes back to 0.7 for next episodes(unlikely).