Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling: Hail to the Gods

caracas1914
  • Start Topic

Yes, but that will always happen so let them make their claims. I think by now, CW viewers are used to its erratic ratings swings caused by the network's affiliate scheduling and promotion efforts (or lack thereof). The return from hiatus week was a prime example across the board for the majority of CW shows. I'm certain they, more than anyone else, understand the ratings swings when their shows get preempted for local sports programming so I'm not sure why some people start pounding their chests other than it gives them a reason to try and "prove" that what they like/dislike is somehow the cause. I think the advice to look at Arrow's ratings trends (which are just fine, BTW) rather than the week-to-week swings is a sound one.

• Love 4

And as much as we (me included) chat about ratings/total viewers, given that the CW keeps talking about plus 7 and streaming numbers, and given that they just renewed The Originals (seriously?) and Reign (seriously seriously?), it's clear that ratings/viewers are not necessarily their main concern or their only criteria for judging a show's popularity/profitability.

• Love 10
(edited)

And as much as we (me included) chat about ratings/total viewers, given that the CW keeps talking about plus 7 and streaming numbers, and given that they just renewed The Originals (seriously?) and Reign (seriously seriously?), it's clear that ratings/viewers are not necessarily their main concern or their only criteria for judging a show's popularity/profitability.

I agree with this. I'm pretty sure I remember an article talking about how lucrative the DVD/Bluray sales are for Warner Brothers so there's that point as well. In fact, I'm pretty sure that was the main driver for why they started pushing back the Netflix streaming of the prior season until well after the box sets were released in order to maximize their return. I'm not getting the impression that they're losing money with lower ratings--especially for the DC comic-based shows.

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Love 1

I agree with this. I'm pretty sure I remember an article talking about how lucrative the DVD/Bluray sales are for Warner Brothers so there's that point as well. In fact, I'm pretty sure that was the main driver for why they started pushing back the Netflix streaming of the prior season until well after the box sets were released in order to maximize their return. I'm not getting the impression that they're losing money with lower ratings--especially for the DC comic-based shows.

Yeah, which is one reason Arrow also looks at total viewers - I'm less sure about WB, but over at Viacom and Disney, those numbers can be an indicator of DVD/Blu-Ray sales.

• Love 1

Reign confused me but The Originals was a lock because of syndication.

Reign I think had to do with the fact that it is a CBS production. But either way its pretty clear that CW has a Renewal equation that includes a whole lot more than just ratings. I also wonder if we will see Reign become one of the summer shows next season. I think the show is finding its stride, it just hasn't found a night that is a good fit.

Apparently #NoLaurelNoArrow got about 23K tweets. WE LOVE ARROW, which trended before the episode, got about 47.6K before it stopped trending, and #Arrow was at about 87.5K before I went to bed - the most I think it's had since Oliver fell off a cliff.

These numbers do confirm Guggenheim's contention that the Twitter fanbase represents only a small part of Arrow's overall viewership, which Nielsen and other sources are estimating at around 3.5 million in the U.S. alone (live plus 7 day.)

(edited)

I have seen people gladly retweet a screenshot of the hashtag trending and bragging about it, which I assume they read as 47 millions - since it said 47 mil, but it was from a spanish account, I think. LOL

Edited by looptab
  • Love 1

I have seen people gladly retweet a screenshot of the hashtag trending and bragging about it, which I assume they read as 47 millions - since it said 47 mil, but it was from a spanish account, I think. LOL

Or Brazilian, since it trend here. "Mil" is the word for "thousand" in Portuguese too.

• Love 2
(edited)

29k trend in the UK was good i thought, i was happy with it.

But i am happy to see the ratings didn't do anything significant, next week might so ill be waiting to see.

I think the next ep's ratings will drop simply because they're on a 2-week break. It'll be tough to gauge anything there because of it.

Edited by apinknightmare

I don't understand The CW's hiatus-palooza strategy. It's been an absolute mess. Wouldn't it have been smarter to just do a longer break between the mid-season finale and the back half of the season rather than a bunch of 2-week breaks every 3-4 episodes? Someone with more TV strategy knowledge needs to enlighten me, LOL.

• Love 4

And a lot of people still seem to think this is a fake out or she'll somehow come back. It'll be interesting to see what happens. 

I want to punch them for that poorly edited scene. Grrrr

I hope the funeral is open casket.

• Love 1

I'm having trouble 100% believing it too. The scene was edited strangely and I don't trust these writers. They always double down on the episode that just aired, Future episodes then show something else. Too many people have come back from the dead on this show. I will need an open casket to believe she's dead and gone forever. Know that there are no more LP's or they decide not to risk it because of what it did to Thea and Sara. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't care if people believe Laurel's not dead, as long as she's not on the show forced in between characters who have a better on screen dynamic or should be interacting because of their close relationships with Oliver. 

Also I'm hoping all 3 male villains die this season. I think something related to the Russians need to be the main villains for season 5. But I guess that's for the hopes thread...

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 9
(edited)

OMG I'm sure the theories that the ratings/viewership or both dropped because of her death will begin or already had began in:

They're barely 100k off from last week. And scored the same demo as 218 and 318. There was no drop.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 2

They're barely 100k off from last week. And scored the same demo as 218 and 318. There was no drop.

Shhhhh logic, facts and hard numbers have no business in analyzing ratings. Arrow is obviously tanking and will end after S4!
  • Love 3

Oh I know that I'm being sarcastic because those who want a reason and that would be any reason to seize upon to say that particular death had an impact on those factors will.

Truth be told, I don't think either side has an argument as I don't imagine there are enough spoiler viewers out there to move the needle one way or the other. In two episodes that'll be the time when the numbers can come into focus.

That being said, numbers dropping for what should have  been a monumental episode isn't a good thing regardless of how minor the drop was

• Love 1

When ratings drop for me it indicates that people just don't care enough about that episode to tune in. People will catch up on the show when they can, but its not a priority to see it live or near its air date. So perhaps the general Arrow audience just wasn't moved to be sure to tune in.

However, the CW doesn't seem to care about ratings as much as other networks, so any in-depth analysis to me won't impact the story that Arrow is writing or even its renewal/cancellation.

If there is one thing I trust about MG & Co it is that they are egotistical and believe that they are telling their story the way they want to. No amount of ratings analysis, fan reaction or critic commentary is going to drastically change the story they want to tell. 

• Love 2

When ratings drop for me it indicates that people just don't care enough about that episode to tune in. People will catch up on the show when they can, but its not a priority to see it live or near its air date. So perhaps the general Arrow audience just wasn't moved to be sure to tune in.

It's tough to say, because this drop is something that happens every spring with Arrow, usually right around this ep (if I'm not mistaken). 

• Love 4

It's tough to say, because this drop is something that happens every spring with Arrow, usually right around this ep (if I'm not mistaken). 

Yes, maybe people just don't care about Arrow enough on a whole around this time and its not connected to a character/arc at all. It is when the writing reaches its crappiest and wonkiest. So I can see the audience checking out until they can binge a few episodes. It lost me that way in s2. Without this site, it probably would have lost me in s3. And tbh I'm not sure how s4 is going to play out, all of these mini-hiatuses are just annoying and hard to keep up with.

• Love 1

Yes, maybe people just don't care about Arrow enough on a whole around this time and its not connected to a character/arc at all. It is when the writing reaches its crappiest and wonkiest. So I can see the audience checking out until they can binge a few episodes. 

I can't say for sure, but I think it has more to do with the time of year. The weather is nicer (for the most part), spring sports are starting up, and people just don't sit in front of the TV like they did in the winter - not just for Arrow, but for anything. DVRs and online streaming make taking a break a lot less of a hassle these days than it used to be. 

• Love 3

That's a 2-point problem: 1. creatives putting big narrative moments in early April when they know nobody's watching TV, and 2. CW promotion being ridiculous, so nobody who would otherwise be interested in watching said big narrative moment knows it's in this episode.

• Love 4

Aww, you know that reviewer Erik Kain? He's saying that S1 has had higher ratings than S4 on twitter and using it to indicate the drop in quality :p For a guy who is a wannabe critic he sure as hell doesn't know how TV works :)

This is where I really wish people would sharpen their criticisms. This is in response to Laurel dying but S1/S2 features:

(S2) Sara as the show's Canary.

(S2) Laurel removed from the A-plot, replaced as love interest and limited screen time.

(S1/S2) Original Team Arrow.

Hey guys, guess what klling off Laurel gets you!

• Love 9

Aww, you know that reviewer Erik Kain? He's saying that S1 has had higher ratings than S4 on twitter and using it to indicate the drop in quality :p For a guy who is a wannabe critic he sure as hell doesn't know how TV works :)

But but but... what about season 2, which gets brought up all the time as the "best season of Arrow"? Does he have anything to say about the show's ratings reaching series lows in 2B?

I love that he *has* to continue to watch the show and talk about it because it's his job. Added bonus of

many spoilers indicating Felicity will play a big role in the last couple episodes.

So fitting.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 2

But but but... what about season 2, which gets brought up all the time as the "best season of Arrow"? Does he have anything to say about the show's ratings reaching series lows in 2B?

I love that he *has* to continue to watch the show and talk about it because it's his job. Added bonus of

many spoilers indicating Felicity will play a big role in the last couple episodes.

So fitting.

Dude says S2 is higher than 3-4... Which if he's going by ratings and not demo he's probably right... I'm not 100% Sure.

Dude says S2 is higher than 3-4... Which if he's going by ratings and not demo he's probably right... I'm not 100% Sure.

I wonder what his sources are or if he just pulled numbers out of his ass. According to wikipedia, season 1 averaged 3.68 million viewers, season 2-- 3.28, and season 3-- 3.52. I remember MG talking a lot about how season 3 was the highest rated of all three if the pilot was excluded from season 1 numbers.

edit: Another source, if you want numbers to argue with him. Numbers are slightly different, but the season to season trends are the same:

Season 1: 1.1 rating in the 18-49 demo, 3.21 million total viewers

Season 2: 0.91 rating in the 18-49 demo, 2.62 million total viewers (-13.29% drop)

Season 3: 1.01 rating in the 18-49 demo, 2.76 million total viewers (5.46% gain)

And he can't call season 4 yet because it's not even done. What the heck comparison would that be?

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 2