Type keyword(s) to search

RW: Chicago (2002)

Lantern7
  • Start Topic

Given how the Skeletons crew will be based in Chicago, I thought I'd start a topic for the original Chitown seven: Aneesa, Kyle, Keri, Theo, Chris, Cara and Tonya. Also: Tonya's kidney stones, and a genuine moment in the cast's reaction to the September 11 attacks. Oh, and 9/11 turned out to be Aneesa's birthday. I'm betting none of her friends can get out of remembering that.

I know it's been over thirteen years since it filmed, but what do you take away from this season? For me, there was Tonya's inability to fit in, Aneesa's awful taste in women, the abortive Kyle/Keri showmance, Kyle's massive head and ego, Keri's cute chipmunk teeth, and Cara's ability to sleep with anything with a dick and a pulse. How bad was it? When she got with one of Kyle's friends, BMP played David Broom's scatting and singing "Come On Be My Baby Tonight" . . . and he was perhaps the biggest male slut in RW history. Yes, he also qualified as a Chicago native, but it was such an "Oh, my Gawd" moment in itself.

Other than the aforementioned stuff, I'm drawing a blank on this season. All I can remember about Theo was his hard luck in his two Challenge stints. For Chris, it was how he was as dreamy to audiences as Danny was two seasons prior. And I can't remember the song about Tonya's kidney stones, which is probably for the best.

I finally pulled up a mental image of Theo, but Chris I still can't remember.  Is he the one who pinched Cara Jessica Parker, causing her to go into a meltdown that he was pointing out the (non-existent) fat at her waist?  I worked to feel sorry for Cara, as she obviously had some issues and I didn't care for the producers' focus on her sex life, but it could be hard.

Same with Tonya, and I don't think life in what passes for the spotlight was a good thing for her.

Other than that, I remember yelling, "You can do so much better!" at Keri through the TV screen whenever she'd dally with Kyle, Aneesa pooping with the bathroom door open, the TV being brought in on 9/11 so they could see what had transpired and their show-sponsored vacation being a boring road trip in light of the subsequent travel restrictions, and "Get my fucking name right" at the reunion.  That's about it.  I was in my waning days as a RW viewer then. 

• Love 1

This was the first full season I watched as it was happening (although I did watch Back to New York reruns that they were playing around the same time). The TV they brought it on 9/11 led me to believe that TV's were standard fare on The Real World. Also, I didn't know Kyle was apparently trolling on the show until years later. All in all, it was an OK season. But man, to think that Tonya would end up being more of a mess later on...

I just can't with Madison.  She needs to pick a persona and stick with it.  What'll it be, sweetie?  Sex kitten? Innocent bullied victim?  Recovering addict?  It was hilarious when she was chatting with Bruno near the end of the ep and she was pulling all the sad faces in her repertoire and he asked "What's wrong, you look sad?" and she pulled yet another sad face.  I bet she practices in the mirror.

Woops - wrong thread!  Moving the post...

Edited by Wouldofshouldof

Wow.  And MTV, in that time-honored tradition, responded with, essentially, "She asked for it."  ("Plaintiff failed to avoid the injuries of which she complained" by being drunk and flirtatious and exposing her body.) Sickening.

• Love 1

Wow.  And MTV, in that time-honored tradition, responded with, essentially, "She asked for it."  ("Plaintiff failed to avoid the injuries of which she complained" by being drunk and flirtatious and exposing her body.) Sickening.

Agreed, but than they settled and Evan and Kenny have not been on a Challenge since. Even without the rape lawsuit you could tell she wasn't in the best place during The Ruins. I really hope she has found happiness away from the cameras. I know she grew up as a foster child so I hope she found a group of friends who are there for her.

• Love 1

The TV they brought it on 9/11 led me to believe that TV's were standard fare on The Real World. 

They used to be. I remember Norman on Season One getting angry at the other roommates because they forgot to record Star Trek for him one evening. IIRC, they no longer had TVs in the houses after London, because Jay and Mike sat around watching TV most of the day and that's not very exciting to film. 

I was in my waning days as a RW viewer then.

Same here. New Orleans 1.0 was the last great season for me. Back to New York was ok, but it kind of meh. This season even more so (I'd miss episodes and not even bother trying to catch the reruns), and Las Vegas was when I stopped for good (probably after the 3rd of 4th episode of that season).

And Kyle was the worst. He was such a fake douche., even by Real World standards. Remember that one time when he and (I think) Keri were arguing, and she started bringing up how fake he was, and then he started screaming at the cameras to stop filming? Ugh.

But man, to think that Tonya would end up being more of a mess later on...

This is a very old post, lol, but I just randomly pulled out my recordings of this season a few weeks ago, and agree that it's sad to see that obnoxious as she was, Tonya was way more together then. 

Also, sort of sad to listen to her pinning her life dreams on her relationship with Justin, who later came out of the closet. 

And Kyle was the worst. He was such a fake douche., even by Real World standards. Remember that one time when he and (I think) Keri were arguing, and she started bringing up how fake he was, and then he started screaming at the cameras to stop filming? Ugh.

He didn't yell at the cameras, just at Keri (in a rather threatening way, honestly) to stop talking about whatever "taboo" topic she brought up. 

I don't think I hated Kyle quite as much at the very first airing, but he quickly became insufferable the first time they reran the shows.

He and Cara both had very privileged backgrounds and both of them shared a certain fakeness that I find really annoying. 

I still love this season though, it was at the tail end of my hardcore RW obsession and I was the same age as most of the cast at the time. BTNY was a fairly disappointing season and Vegas grossed me out, but I still put Chicago up there with original San Diego and Sydney as some of better seasons past the first 10. 

ETA: I don't see a B2NY thread and there's likely no need for one at this point, but I wanted to say that it was a shame that both it and RR: The Quest were such disappointing/boring seasons given the amazing casting special they did for those 2 shows. That special is one of the few things I have not been able to track down to watch again. :( The weirdo with the white gloves fighting with Coral, Ellen vs Coral (kiss my baby ass...) etc. 

Why, why, why did they wuss out on putting Coral and Ellen in a house or an RV together? So much potential coming out of that special, such lame results. 

Edited by ljenkins782
  • Love 1

Every viewer who was in on The Real World from the beginning will have a different "jumped the shark" point, but Chicago was the last season I really enjoyed. However, I actually hung in through Denver seven seasons later, meaning I saw a lot of seasons I thought were meh. Some of those were fitfully entertaining as far as they went, but it didn't seem like "my" Real World anymore. Probably I just had aged out of the demographic, and I could see it was only going to get worse.   

Chicago, though, was good times.  I still laugh at memories of some things in this season, like Keri drunkenly screaming/asking Kyle "Is! That! After! Ryne Sandberg!?" when she saw a street sign with a similar name.

Keri and Chris were my favorites; Aneesa and Theo had their likable moments, and I loved to hate Tonya, Kyle, and Cara. That's almost the definition of a balanced cast.  

I remember the season being well received on the old TWoP site as a return to form, because most of us (and the recapper) had found the Back to New York season such a meandering disappointment.  

Besides the other things mentioned as memorable in the (really old!) posts above, something I also remember about this season was the jobs. They were supposed to be lifeguards, but only three of the seven (Kyle, Chris, and Keri) could pass the swimming test. So they had a different job for the other four to do, working at a children's center, and Tonya was predictably really bad with kids. One thing they helped the kids do was paint a mural. It was similar to the Boston cast's job. The lifeguarding got even less screen time than the children's center, because unless you rescue someone from drowning, it isn't that exciting.  

Then when those jobs ran their course, they all reunited to participate in "Chicagoween," writing and performing plays for children at Halloween. Cara was the director, and was so pretentious about it, throwing the theatrical terms around. She also wanted to cut one of Keri's plays because it wasn't "her best work."   

Also, I remember the MTV promos for this season were by a hip-hop trio called City High (two guys and a girl). They would make up verses about whatever was happening on the show.  Or sometimes they weren't rapping; they were just talking about the roommates.  

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 3
On 4/26/2018 at 2:23 PM, Asp Burger said:

Every viewer who was in on The Real World from the beginning will have a different "jumped the shark" point, but Chicago was the last season I really enjoyed. However, I actually hung in through Denver seven seasons later, meaning I saw a lot of seasons I thought were meh. Some of those were fitfully entertaining as far as they went, but it didn't seem like "my" Real World anymore. Probably I just had aged out of the demographic, and I could see it was only going to get worse.   

This is something I ponder when thinking about The Real World and my love for it. It's easy to say "The show became stupid" or point out the bad and annoying things but I really do wonder if it's the show or I simply aged out of the viewing demographic. Chicago was the last season I watched in real time. I never saw New Orleans because I was abroad at the time. I watched a few episodes of Vegas out of curiosity because I was living there at the time. But Chicago is the last season I had interest in. After it, I couldn't really watch anymore. 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Sister Havana said:

For those in the Chicago area: Kyle is doing play-by-play for tonight's Bears preseason game. 

He was horrible.  Completely inane commentary.  Drove my husband nuts!

On 4/26/2018 at 1:23 PM, Asp Burger said:

Chicago, though, was good times.  I still laugh at memories of some things in this season, like Keri drunkenly screaming/asking Kyle "Is! That! After! Ryne Sandberg!?" when she saw a street sign with a similar name.

Keri and Chris were my favorites; Aneesa and Theo had their likable moments, and I loved to hate Tonya, Kyle, and Cara. That's almost the definition of a balanced cast.  

I remember the season being well received on the old TWoP site as a return to form, because most of us (and the recapper) had found the Back to New York season such a meandering disappointment.  

Besides the other things mentioned as memorable in the (really old!) posts above, something I also remember about this season was the jobs. They were supposed to be lifeguards, but only three of the seven (Kyle, Chris, and Keri) could pass the swimming test. So they had a different job for the other four to do, working at a children's center, and Tonya was predictably really bad with kids. One thing they helped the kids do was paint a mural. It was similar to the Boston cast's job. The lifeguarding got even less screen time than the children's center, because unless you rescue someone from drowning, it isn't that exciting.  

Then when those jobs ran their course, they all reunited to participate in "Chicagoween," writing and performing plays for children at Halloween. Cara was the director, and was so pretentious about it, throwing the theatrical terms around. She also wanted to cut one of Keri's plays because it wasn't "her best work."   

Also, I remember the MTV promos for this season were by a hip-hop trio called City High (two guys and a girl). They would make up verses about whatever was happening on the show.  Or sometimes they weren't rapping; they were just talking about the roommates.  

Haha I remember Cara giving them blocking instructions and they were no into it at all. "Cheat out" was the phrase I remembered. 

• Love 2

Yes, "Cheat out!" was one of her legacies. I also remember Aneesa in the role of "the midnight ghost," menacing Theo. When they were rehearsing it, it was more like they had the hots for each other. She was all up in his business and he was acting into it. There was more "midnight" than there was "ghost" in their interpretation. Cara's direction was something like "Less like you're hitting on each other in a club." Which was one of Cara's best moments in the whole season, because she was completely right and it was funny. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

Yes, "Cheat out!" was one of her legacies. I also remember Aneesa in the role of "the midnight ghost," menacing Theo. When they were rehearsing it, it was more like they had the hots for each other. She was all up in his business and he was acting into it. There was more "midnight" than there was "ghost" in their interpretation. Cara's direction was something like "Less like you're hitting on each other in a club." Which was one of Cara's best moments in the whole season, because she was completely right and it was funny. 

And when she called Tonya's boobs huge, saline and tan. Hahahaha

• Love 1
On 12/10/2015 at 12:09 PM, ljenkins782 said:

This is a very old post, lol, but I just randomly pulled out my recordings of this season a few weeks ago, and agree that it's sad to see that obnoxious as she was, Tonya was way more together then. 

You have recordings?! Is it possible for you to put them up on DailyMotion? YouTube would most likely take them down.

On 4/28/2018 at 4:40 PM, LemonSoda said:

This is something I ponder when thinking about The Real World and my love for it. It's easy to say "The show became stupid" or point out the bad and annoying things but I really do wonder if it's the show or I simply aged out of the viewing demographic. Chicago was the last season I watched in real time. I never saw New Orleans because I was abroad at the time. I watched a few episodes of Vegas out of curiosity because I was living there at the time. But Chicago is the last season I had interest in. After it, I couldn't really watch anymore. 

I'm also wondering if I had "aged out" of these series (I'm 36). Chicago for me was the last good season in my opinion. Las Vegas was the last season that I watched the entire way through, and watching it was painful. I didn't see much of Paris, saw a few episodes of Sam Diego, Philadelphia. I tried to sit through Austin, but couldn't. How that season won Best Season in 2008 is well beyond me.

As I stated in another post, it went from the "Fishbowl Experiment" of bringing people from different locations and backgrounds learn from each other, gain the experience and seeing what happens "when people stop being polite, and start getting real" to the "Fishbowl Experiment" of people getting drunk at the nearest bar, and hooking up with the nearest warm body in the house.

It's close to how I feel about today's mainstream music. These days I listen to music from before my time, or if I listen to contemporary music it's always from Indie artists because that music has depth and substance. A good percentage of today's music (i.e. Nicki Minaj - no offense to any Nikki fans out there) lacks substance. Just my opinion. 

Edited by giaNtsandYankees
  • Love 1
On 12/7/2018 at 11:13 AM, giaNtsandYankees said:

You have recordings?! Is it possible for you to put them up on DailyMotion? YouTube would most likely take them down.

I'm also wondering if I had "aged out" of these series (I'm 36). Chicago for me was the last good season in my opinion. Las Vegas was the last season that I watched the entire way through, and watching it was painful. I didn't see much of Paris, saw a few episodes of Sam Diego, Philadelphia. I tried to sit through Austin, but couldn't. How that season won Best Season in 2008 is well beyond me.

As I stated in another post, it went from the "Fishbowl Experiment" of bringing people from different locations and backgrounds learn from each other, gain the experience and seeing what happens "when people stop being polite, and start getting real" to the "Fishbowl Experiment" of people getting drunk at the nearest bar, and hooking up with the nearest warm body in the house.

It's close to how I feel about today's mainstream music. These days I listen to music from before my time, or if I listen to contemporary music it's always from Indie artists because that music has depth and substance. A good percentage of today's music (i.e. Nicki Minaj - no offense to any Nikki fans out there) lacks substance. Just my opinion. 

I have a few years on you but glad to know someone else feels the same about The Real World and current music. 

• Love 2

It's the true story of seven strangers chosen to live in a house and have their lives taped. This is what made me watch it, and indeed it's a show that I fully recommend. I think it's not a coincidence that I'm from Chicago, and this tied me even more with this show. Chicago is an amazing city, and I've visited every single monument, and every single place was truly beautiful. Those who have never been to Chicago, do it, it's worth it. Here https://www.travelsafe-abroad.com/united-states/chicago/ you have a small article about this dream corner, so don't miss the opportunity to see the real places where this show was filmed.

Edited by JoanNash
  • Love 1

So, in the depths of the quarantine, I watched all kinds of TV and watched the limited series on The Preppy Killer, Robert Chambers. I was truly blown away at how much Robert Chambers reminded me of our very own SpongeKyle Squarehead. The giant, square forehead, exaggerated jawline, the entitled attitude, it was all there. It was spooky. 

Cara probably is funny and someone who makes friends easily, but her worst traits were definitely highlighted in this show. And I personally had a hard time liking her because she was so faux nice to everyone and talked SO much shit. I feel like if you're going to be a shit-talker, you have to kind of own that mantle, but she went out of her way to seem nice to everyone and then tore them apart behind their backs. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Ok I’m sorry I was in a state of annoyance when I was typing earlier.. it goes from Season 1-4, then 12, then picks up 15- 32 but without 19 (???)  I wonder why!

I was so annoyed when I saw the list too. SO many good seasons after season 4, but OF COURSE, they skip right to the freaking Las Vegas season. And then they don't even have the decent post-LV seasons, like San Diego.

The Ol' Fivehead is one of the cohosts of Good Morning Football on NFL Network. Did anyone know that? If so, has he gotten away from being the prick we knew and loathed back in the day?

I haven't seen him on that show, but I can say without hesitation that no, he hasn't gotten away from being the prick he was back then. His privilege is what made him what he was and clearly, he has continued to fail upward. So he's probably still traveling in monied circles and smugly striding through life without any obstacles.

Remember when he used to date Lori from B2NY? What the hell was she thinking? 

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

I was so annoyed when I saw the list too. SO many good seasons after season 4, but OF COURSE, they skip right to the freaking Las Vegas season. And then they don't even have the decent post-LV seasons, like San Diego.

Aaarghhh it’s like they took out only the awesome reasons I would love to rewatch.  

• Love 1
On 1/11/2021 at 3:40 PM, LemonSoda said:

I wish they would add other seasons, offer them for sale to keep. I’ve been wanting to watch this season, Boston and Hawaii. 

All the streaming services available out there, why can't they just host them all? It's not like they'd have to bump anything off the airwaves like in the days when there was just a single MTV channel, these seasons can coexist with all their other programming.

And while they're at it, how about throwing in all their other random series like Sorority Life and even more obscure stuff like, Surf Girls  (I may be the only person to even remember that one).

• Love 3
On 1/25/2021 at 8:19 AM, ljenkins782 said:

All the streaming services available out there, why can't they just host them all? It's not like they'd have to bump anything off the airwaves like in the days when there was just a single MTV channel, these seasons can coexist with all their other programming.

And while they're at it, how about throwing in all their other random series like Sorority Life and even more obscure stuff like, Surf Girls  (I may be the only person to even remember that one).

I absolutely agree! I’m kind of surprised that with the vast archive of programming that MTV has they aren’t doing anything with it. It’s ridiculous. 
I liked Surf Girls and couldn’t understand why it didn’t get another season 

• Love 1

Hello everyone I’m new here but I need some help I remember an old episode of the real world I believe I just don’t know which one I believe possibly Chicago, any who I think it was aneesa she was walking around in a thong and high heels licking a lollipop does anyone remember this? If so please let me know who it was if it wasn’t aneesa and if you remember what episode or season this was  

(edited)

Okay, anybody else watching Cruel Summer? The actress who plays Kate Wallis is a dead ringer for RW Chicago Keri. The scene where she's being interviewed and drops the big bombshell of the series, it's honestly like looking into a long lost scene from this show. Spooky...

Edited by ljenkins782
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ljenkins782 said:

Okay, anybody else watching Cruel Summer? The actress who plays Kate Wallis is a dead ringer for RW Chicago Keri. The scene where she's being interviewed and drops the big bombshell of the series, it's honestly like looking into a long lost scene from this show. Spooky...

Spooky indeed! Was coming to post it myself 

• Love 1

Someone posted the Real World Chicago preview special on YouTube. I don't remember much from RW Chicago outside the big moments, but it was interesting how much they were playing up Keri's partying. Also, interesting to see Tonya I forgot how sheltered she was during her original season. I feel so bad for everything she has gone through. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

Someone posted the Real World Chicago preview special on YouTube. I don't remember much from RW Chicago outside the big moments, but it was interesting how much they were playing up Keri's partying. Also, interesting to see Tonya I forgot how sheltered she was during her original season. I feel so bad for everything she has gone through. 

I don't know if I'd call Tonya sheltered in that first season, it seems like she went through a lot through the foster care system. Narrow-minded, yes, but sheltered, no. I do feel bad for her, looking back on it. She was clearly holding herself together with extreme effort and her spirals into substance abuse later on make it sad to look back on how close she was to taking a different path. Reality TV was probably not a great place for someone that emotionally fragile.

She obviously struggled socially, so she fixated on her looks, but her lacking social skills really take away from her looks. If she'd been as comfortable socially as the other girls in the house, she'd be a stunner, but her stiffness and abrasiveness are repellant. She never seemed to get involved in any kind of healthy relationship, her boyfriend on the show later came out of the closet, she had that weirdo "photographer" who paid her bills on the side, and then clearly had a lot of meaningless hookups on all the challenges, but never seemed to have an actual connection with anyone. 

This season had several cast members who were essentially born on 3rd base and continue to be successful and prosperous, Tonya's struggles are a frustrating reminder that it can be really hard to overcome a difficult beginning in life.

I don't remember much from RW Chicago outside the big moments, but it was interesting how much they were playing up Keri's partying.

Keri or Cara? (get my fucking name right, Tonya!!) This season has the unfortunate distinction of having added cameras to the bedrooms without specifically mentioning this to the cast, so some of the footage of Cara's activities wasn't necessarily with her knowledge, but they sure as hell promoted the hell out of it! 

The "I made out with a rock star..." clip was definitely the center of their marketing campaign that season. I also remember the promos set to music, I wonder if anyone ever taped those from this season? 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

I don't know if I'd call Tonya sheltered in that first season, it seems like she went through a lot through the foster care system. Narrow-minded, yes, but sheltered, no. I do feel bad for her, looking back on it. She was clearly holding herself together with extreme effort and her spirals into substance abuse later on make it sad to look back on how close she was to taking a different path. Reality TV was probably not a great place for someone that emotionally fragile.

She obviously struggled socially, so she fixated on her looks, but her lacking social skills really take away from her looks. If she'd been as comfortable socially as the other girls in the house, she'd be a stunner, but her stiffness and abrasiveness are repellant. She never seemed to get involved in any kind of healthy relationship, her boyfriend on the show later came out of the closet, she had that weirdo "photographer" who paid her bills on the side, and then clearly had a lot of meaningless hookups on all the challenges, but never seemed to have an actual connection with anyone. 

This season had several cast members who were essentially born on 3rd base and continue to be successful and prosperous, Tonya's struggles are a frustrating reminder that it can be really hard to overcome a difficult beginning in life.

Keri or Cara? (get my fucking name right, Tonya!!) This season has the unfortunate distinction of having added cameras to the bedrooms without specifically mentioning this to the cast, so some of the footage of Cara's activities wasn't necessarily with her knowledge, but they sure as hell promoted the hell out of it! 

The "I made out with a rock star..." clip was definitely the center of their marketing campaign that season. I also remember the promos set to music, I wonder if anyone ever taped those from this season? 

I vaguely remember Tonya having a problem with black people. I remember a few years after the season Tonya said Justin came out as gay and it seemed like he was her whole world. 

I'm talking about Keri in her audition tape she is talking about how she is dating 5 people at the same, been drinking since she was 13 and doesn't go to bed. She called herself a manizer. I don't remember Keri being a huge partier in Chicago maybe she was so wrapped up into Kyle drama? Or she just played it up to get on the show.

I remember Cara and the rockstar and the bedroom cameras!

• Love 1
On 5/10/2021 at 4:18 PM, choclatechip45 said:

I vaguely remember Tonya having a problem with black people. I remember a few years after the season Tonya said Justin came out as gay and it seemed like he was her whole world. 

I'm talking about Keri in her audition tape she is talking about how she is dating 5 people at the same, been drinking since she was 13 and doesn't go to bed. She called herself a manizer. I don't remember Keri being a huge partier in Chicago maybe she was so wrapped up into Kyle drama? Or she just played it up to get on the show.

I remember Cara and the rockstar and the bedroom cameras!

Oh yeah, I do remember that stuff about Keri.I never understood why she was so proud of how early she started drinking, but she brought that up A LOT. Seemed like a weird flex to me, I don't see why that would be something to brag about. 

I do think Keri in her element seems like the kind of girl guys would chase, but here, she was out of her comfort zone and the Kyle stuff was definitely a factor. She seemed royally pissed by that after the show, I think she felt foolish that she looked like a Stage 5 clinger when she's used to being the one being chased.

Something that they made a big effort to keep off the show, but occasionally showed through (like the red paint on the front door) was that the cast experienced a lot of harassment from the locals. So I think it limited their socialization options because going out with the cameras was a big spotlight on who they were and people didn't want them there. Probably explains why Keri got so wrapped up with Kyle, there wasn't much else to do.

• Love 2
(edited)
43 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

Oh yeah, I do remember that stuff about Keri.I never understood why she was so proud of how early she started drinking, but she brought that up A LOT. Seemed like a weird flex to me, I don't see why that would be something to brag about. 

I do think Keri in her element seems like the kind of girl guys would chase, but here, she was out of her comfort zone and the Kyle stuff was definitely a factor. She seemed royally pissed by that after the show, I think she felt foolish that she looked like a Stage 5 clinger when she's used to being the one being chased.

Something that they made a big effort to keep off the show, but occasionally showed through (like the red paint on the front door) was that the cast experienced a lot of harassment from the locals. So I think it limited their socialization options because going out with the cameras was a big spotlight on who they were and people didn't want them there. Probably explains why Keri got so wrapped up with Kyle, there wasn't much else to do.

I remember Keri being pissed off after the show and I was surprised that she participated in a Where Are They Now? in the local paper when they returned to Chicago for Skeletons. 

Yes I remember the red paint and didn't someone get stabbed near the house? Off topic Philadelphia had similar issues and the cast stopped going out so BMP hired an off duty police officer.

I am still surprised that Cara never did a Challenge. 

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 1
(edited)

I always thought Tonya was trying too hard to have a "thing" that would give her the starring role. In the early episodes of Chicago, every other sentence was about her being a foster child and how deprived it had made her. She didn't have a birth certificate, she couldn't use an ATM, on and on ad nauseum. That fell flat in terms of making her more interesting to others, and then her focus shifted to her kidney stones and other medical problems. When she started coming back for Challenge after Challenge, we didn't hear any more about health problems. Instead, she got a lot more sexualized than she had ever been in Chicago, where she had been downright prudish for a Real World girl. (On Real World Chicago, she had a boyfriend and presented as a conservative Christian.) Then she started giving Paula of Key West a run for her money with the binge drinking.  

I think she had a lot of unmet emotional needs and she flailed around trying out new personalities, all of them bad in their own way. I hope she's healthier now and staying away from cameras. I had long stopped watching the Challenge at the time of her horrific final season, but I have read about it.  

Re: Keri and drinking. She is someone (Kelley and David of Real World New Orleans were others) whose audition tape in the casting special was misleading for the kind of person she turned out to be. I suspect Keri was angling for a "Ruthie slot." She made B/M expect a blackout drunk, but she really didn't drink all that much for a person of her age. All I really remember in the way of heavy drinking on her part is the one time she went out with Kyle and was yell-asking him on the way home if the street was named after Ryne Sandberg. And that was, like, episode two.

Edited by Asp Burger
(edited)

This season this was recently uploaded to YouTube (it seems to be complete); I've watched the preview special (in which Coral hilariously translates Mike's rules for being a good roommate, e.g. "social gatherings should be a quiet affair, organized, with the consent of all roommates" becomes "leave your friends at home; nobody likes them") and the first several episodes.

I could barely remember Chris, and I think I can see why; he's the oldest, he's sober, and all he does is work out.  That might not have been so fish out of water in earlier seasons, but even though the show hasn't yet totally gone off the rails at this point, it already makes him a bit of an odd choice.

I'd forgotten how homophobic Theo and Tonya were; I guess it makes a sad sort of sense given how insular the environments whence they c ame, so it will be interesting to re-visit how they do or do not evolve over the course of their time here.

Oh, Cara.  At least she freely owns up to being "that girl" who has never been without a boyfriend and gets her validation from men wanting her sexually and acknowledges that's not healthy, and I do remember resenting how the show chose to focus on her sex life, but she's hard to take.

And, lordy, but I do not understand the attraction to Kyle.  Even if you set aside the personality and rearranged that square face into a better shape, he'd be so generic. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

I know it was readily discussed at the time, but I don't remember - who's the rock star that Cara hooked up with (they blurred the band's faces and blanked out their name every time someone said it)?

(edited)
6 hours ago, Bastet said:

I know it was readily discussed at the time, but I don't remember - who's the rock star that Cara hooked up with (they blurred the band's faces and blanked out their name every time someone said it)?

Todd Park Mohr.

I've been watching it on YouTube and wow I forgot how homophobic Theo and Tonya were! Also I am pretty uncomfortable with the Theo/Aneesa dynamic. It's like when he finally gets it that she's not into him Aneesa tries to lead him on. 

21 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

I always thought Tonya was trying too hard to have a "thing" that would give her the starring role. In the early episodes of Chicago, every other sentence was about her being a foster child and how deprived it had made her. She didn't have a birth certificate, she couldn't use an ATM, on and on ad nauseum. That fell flat in terms of making her more interesting to others, and then her focus shifted to her kidney stones and other medical problems. When she started coming back for Challenge after Challenge, we didn't hear any more about health problems. Instead, she got a lot more sexualized than she had ever been in Chicago, where she had been downright prudish for a Real World girl. (On Real World Chicago, she had a boyfriend and presented as a conservative Christian.) Then she started giving Paula of Key West a run for her money with the binge drinking.  

I think she had a lot of unmet emotional needs and she flailed around trying out new personalities, all of them bad in their own way. I hope she's healthier now and staying away from cameras. I had long stopped watching the Challenge at the time of her horrific final season, but I have read about it.  

Re: Keri and drinking. She is someone (Kelley and David of Real World New Orleans were others) whose audition tape in the casting special was misleading for the kind of person she turned out to be. I suspect Keri was angling for a "Ruthie slot." She made B/M expect a blackout drunk, but she really didn't drink all that much for a person of her age. All I really remember in the way of heavy drinking on her part is the one time she went out with Kyle and was yell-asking him on the way home if the street was named after Ryne Sandberg. And that was, like, episode two.

Do you remember what Kelley/David audition tapes were?

It really seems like they were trying to make Keri what Trishelle ended up being on Vegas.

Edited by choclatechip45
29 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

Do you remember what Kelley/David audition tapes were?

David was charming and intentionally funny in his. He did sing a little bit in it, but otherwise he was nothing like he was in RWNO itself. You'd never have watched his casting tape and expected him to be standoffish, aloof, argumentative, and only interested in hooking up with women from outside the house and going to the gym. Melissa (who had even more friction with him than the others did) said that if she had seen that casting special beforehand, she'd have asked him where that guy was.  

Kelley gave a lot of dish about her past boyfriends and sexual experiences, mocked the sexual technique of one boyfriend in particular, and in general seemed to be trying to get cast by being "wilder" than she was. On the actual shows, she was cautious and controlled and avoided drama. In fact, she started evading the cameras a lot once she met Peter, although her friendship with Danny was a memorable element of the season.