Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E14: Firing Squad

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

This is what I remember about Jason from his first time around- so much unjustified arrogance, and it comes on so quickly.  You won one thing, dude.  Calm down.  

I'd like to swap out Nunez for either the woman or the non-bald guy (I don't think telling someone "it looks like you don't love tattooing" is great criticism).  I can't think of another reality competition where they bring on so many guest judges with the suggestion that they're better than the core ones, but I agree. 

Also- it comes down to who wants it more?  Really?  

That is actually a huge pet peeve of mine on competitive reality shows. Whenever I see someone on America's Next Top Model or Project Runway say, "I want this more than anyone else here," I always wonder well, how do you know that? We don't actually have a machine capable of measuring how much you want something. But beyond that, I don't care how much you want it if you don't have the skills. If you don't want it very much but you are gifted (heh, like Maureen in Center Stage), I would still rather see someone with good technique than someone who really wants it but is flailing.

Similarly, when Mark got all riled up because one of the judges said it doesn't seem like he loves what he does and he started talking about how he's been tattooing for twenty years, I was like who cares how long you've been tattooing if you aren't actually good at it?

I will concede that between Mark and Chris, Mark seemed like he wanted it more but only because Chris seemed like he didn't care what happened one way or another. I understand why the judges are annoyed with his defeatist attitude.

It simultaneously cracks me up and angers me that Jason talks about his inconsistency like it's a good thing. I mean, you're ADMITTING that some days you aren't great - at permanently putting something on a person's skin. Obviously I would never let any of these contestants near me with a needle, but to say that while you're being filmed is ridiculously stupid. How do you expect your clients to trust you if you are on record saying that sometimes you totally suck?

Cleen was way too gleeful about helping Jason design that elimination tattoo. I'm all for presenting them with a challenge that will show whether they have mastery of basic skills but at the same time, he specifically said he knew that Mark and Chris would make mistakes with this design. Those poor canvases.

• Love 3

These guys are just laughable with their posturing and circular arguments.  I liked Chris fine, as he stayed out of most of the drama.  Obviously he's a low-energy kind of guy that doesn't freak out at the drop of a hat.  But his self-esteem seemed low too, so that's ultimately what sunk him.

Jason's Grim Reaper is without a doubt my favorite ink on this whole show thus far.  Where the hell has that creativity, detail and skill been?  I guess even a blind squirel can find a nut on occasion.  

Since Josh left, this season has been a big zero for me. 

• Love 2

How come every time I like the art of a tattoo, I hate the subject matter?

I did like Cris, maybe it was his sad puppy dog eyes, or the bow tie, but yeah, he was just okay in the tattoo department.  I'll take bow tie anyday over loud tank tops and flip flops.

• Love 2

Oy, you guys, why, why, why does it have to be more about bitchy squabbles than tattooing? I just want to see the tattoos, man! I just watched all the seasons of Best Ink (I even paid for them all legit-like from iTunes!) and it is so much better than this even though its format and premise are exactly the same, right down to the term "flash challenge." 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2

I miss Josh.

Jason's tattoo was excellent but do I think he's the Ink Master?  Hmmmm . . . no.  I actually wouldn't vote any of the remaining inktestants as Ink Master.

Cleen continues his World Tour of Douchiness.  I did delight in seeing him getting some negative feedback.  Put that in your nutsack and suck it, Cleen. 

Erik jumping on Mark for getting all high horsed with one win is rich. 

I did like how Dave assigned the skulls, determining the inktestants' strengths and choosing on that.  Much more fair to the canvases versus setting someone up to get a godawful tattoo.

I miss Josh.

• Love 2

Jason's Grim Reaper is without a doubt my favorite ink on this whole show thus far.  Where the hell has that creativity, detail and skill been?  I guess even a blind squirel can find a nut on occasion.  

That was a really well done tattoo.  I can't say I'll be getting a grim reaper tattooed on me anytime soon, but if I was that would be a good one.  Jason for the, well, not usually win, so occasionally really good tattoo.  

I did like how they noticed the Madonna feeling in Cris' tattoo.  The hood really referenced the robes often put on a Madonna figure.  I too kind of like Cris as a person.  I think he needs much more experience though.

CRO is a good technician but lacks when it comes to creativity.  There is no one this season who really seems to hit in all areas. If only they could just call the season a wash and try again.  

• Love 3

Jason's Grim Reaper is without a doubt my favorite ink on this whole show thus far.  Where the hell has that creativity, detail and skill been?

He made it clear that he wanted to go all out to impress the guest judges. With the way they film these kinds of competitions, it would be pretty brutal if he went all in each time, so he's probably been pacing himself and trying to do just well enough to make it to the final.

• Love 1

I enjoyed this episode because it incorporated a couple of things from the fix the show thread. No canvas jury and Dave giving out the skulls based on who would do best ink. Not that Dave made a lot of difference because the talent just isn't there. I thought Jason was headed back to anxiety induced crazytown, glad that didn't happen, but defending his inconsistency was pretty whack.  I really liked a couple of Chris's tats but he, like Mark, was past his expiration date on this show.

• Love 1

I enjoyed those elements too, but I hated the way the outcome happened so it kind of ruined it.  I think I said this earlier this season, I don't like when judges pull the "we can't decide" stuff, even (or especially) if it's pre-planned.  To bring in the big guns, so to speak, and not be able to decide which one was slightly less crappy...I just wanted them to drop them both.   

CRO is a good technician but lacks when it comes to creativity.  There is no one this season who really seems to hit in all areas. If only they could just call the season a wash and try again.

There's no reason they can't do that, is there?  They strive to be badass, why not demonstrate that convincingly with a no-win season?

• Love 2

I have a question about some of the piercings our contestants have. I have no piercings other than my ears, so I don't understand how they work. Erik has that little jewel piercing on the top of his cheek. How does that stay in? I'm imagining it is a little stud, but there is no way to put  a back on it like you would an earring. 

I have a question about some of the piercings our contestants have. I have no piercings other than my ears, so I don't understand how they work. Erik has that little jewel piercing on the top of his cheek. How does that stay in? I'm imagining it is a little stud, but there is no way to put  a back on it like you would an earring. 

That is most likely a dermal anchor piercing.  A hole or slit is made in the skin. The jewelry includes a large base and a post to which the outer stud, jewel or ball is attached.  The base slides underneath the skin with the post sticking out and the jewel showing.  Traditional piercings are done on skin flaps such as ear lobes, eyebrows, labia or even penises (okay, so that can be a rather large flap of more than just skin, but I'm sure you get the point).  You need to be able to grab enough to put the needle completely through one side and out another.  Dermal piercings allow jewelry to be placed on flat areas and only have one entrance/exit to the skin.     

The more you know . . . . 

Edited by Muffyn
  • Love 2

I almost couldn't be bothered posting about this ep but FWIW I think that with his health issue Cris probably learned from a very young age to be self-effacing and non-confrontational due to the risks involved - none of which excuses his tattoos however.

Between CRO and Jason, it almost makes me wish they gave contestants an IQ test before they let them compete on this show.  Those 5 minutes I had to spend listening to Cleer lecture Cris about how masters never doubt themselves is time I'll never get back.  This show has never lacked for obnoxious loudmouths--contestants and judges--who feel entitled to spout off about crap they have no basis or qualifications to assess (psychology, motivation, communication skills, etc.), but this season seems to me worse on this front than all others.  Cleen somehow manages to run circles around even Nunez in his ability to adopt an authoritative and condescending tone while dispensing "wisdom" that would make the average fifth grader seem mature by comparison. 

This show has started to feel like a competition to see who can reveal themselves to be the supidest, least articulate, most condescending windbag in the room.

Edited by Rancide
  • Love 2

That is most likely a dermal anchor piercing.  A hole or slit is made in the skin. The jewelry includes a large base and a post to which the outer stud, jewel or ball is attached.  The base slides underneath the skin with the post sticking out and the jewel showing.  Traditional piercings are done on skin flaps such as ear lobes, eyebrows, labia or even penises (okay, so that can be a rather large flap of more than just skin, but I'm sure you get the point).  You need to be able to grab enough to put the needle completely through one side and out another.  Dermal piercings allow jewelry to be placed on flat areas and only have one entrance/exit to the skin.     

The more you know . . . .

Thanks! I didn't consider that design. I can sleep better now knowing the details :-)