Type keyword(s) to search

S25.E09: You're Taking My Tan Off

• Start Topic

Anyway, here is a Youtube video of the Cyclists watching their own elimination episode.  Very cute.  They made a drinking game of every time Brooke complained or was bitchy.  You can tell the Wrestlers are not their favorite people.

And they didn't die of alcohol poisoning?? Brooke complains more the ANYBODY I have ever seen. Her boyfriends a saint to put up with her Eeyore gloom and doom outlook on the world. 

Edited--Erased the quotes--sorry

• Love 2

I wasn't sure about Jim but he really won me this week first with his pulling out the whistle-to dam funny!!! Just gave it right back to them! And mostly for the steel balls of falling on that tightrope and just being ..so..dam..calm. Not even a million dollars would have gotten me on that rope..not even 2 million..2 steps up on a ladder and I get shaky and anything over 3 steps I turn sheet white and look (and feel) like I'm going to pass out. Good job Jim..If they lived near me I'd go to him for my teeth! 

I am sick of the Bethany is super woman edit. Nobody is that perfect..seems like anything that would make her look bad got cut. We all know by now what the editing can do.

• Love 1

The moment for me when I was so over the surfers was when they were on the train and the camera clearly showed her illuminated in the window like the Madonna, breathily mouthing "I love you" to her bebbeh like in some rom com. I love those moments in real life, but on TAR they're just overwrought and sympathy-baiting. I don't think I've ever seen another team on TAR history be portrayed with such a can-do-no-wrong edit, and I've been watching since its inception. It's saccharine and cloying and I find it annoying (oooh, that rhymed!). I really like Adam though. He genuinely seems like a cool dude (and so does Bethany, probably, but the endless promos of her couple with the superwoman edit are too much).

Anyway, I actually think I'm the only one who likes Jim! His intensity and Buzz Lightyear 1000 yard stare crack me up albeit unintentionally. Also, if he hasn't legitimately freaked out by now having almost hurdled to his death, I think it's safe to say he won't freak out!

• Love 3

I really wanted the cyclists to win the whole thing.  But they were in trouble no matter what they did on this leg.  If they didn't try for the fast forward, they would have had to get to the u-turn first because the other teams would have seen them at the road block and been sure to u-turn them.  I thought it would have been tremendous if they upset the surfers at their own game.  And they were so close to getting it down, just one or two more tries...  The scientist girls were annoyng with their obsessing about u-turning the cyclists.  It was so stupid, if the cyclists got the fast forward then they would be in first, if not they would be in last anyway.  The wrestlers can't go soon enough, they're a couple of overgrown brats.  The dentists are mildly annoying, but I don't hate them or anything.  He's too smug, she's mostly alright.

Edit:  During the massage Segment I kept thinking about the chest waxing scene in Forty Year Old Virgin.  I was waiting for one of them to yell out, "Kelly Clarkson!"

Edited by Dobian

I think bethany and adam genuinely are nice but I think editing is over the top. People know what she's doing with her handicap is amazing. It doesn't need to be repeated ad nauseam. They're likable on their own but i don't like when editing shows someone as having no flaws. For example,Luke Adams a three time racer who was deaf got edited the same as anyone else and did have some bad moments.

Also,what do we know about Adam besides him being supportive? There's never any feature given to him.

Edited by tds444
  • Love 2

Bethany (and Adam) really messed up with the flights, and Jim and Misty also blew it, by not double checking.

I was surprised when those who went through Rome instead of the pre-booked Paris weren't penalised. We heard Adam read the clue as "...you're responsible for booking your REMAINING flights...". I for one would take this as making the Malta-Paris flight compulsory.

• Love 1
Sometimes I wonder if I am the only one who understands that the point is to win the race by whatever means necessary.  If I had to choose between a million dollars and having some people who were complete strangers to me four weeks ago thinking that I have low character, the million dollars will win every single time.  

You go, Robbie and Brooke!  Lie, cheat, and lead astray all you can if it helps you to win.  

While I'm all for gamesmanship, the broadcast means that your behaviour is not only limited by how your Race competitors perceive you, but the way it could affect your reputation with everyone you have dealings with for the rest of your life. While almost always it will be water under the bridge, there will be cases where behaviour sufficiently bad affects your dealings with someone sufficiently morally indignant.

• Love 1

I was surprised when those who went through Rome instead of the pre-booked Paris weren't penalised. We heard Adam read the clue as "...you're responsible for booking your REMAINING flights...". I for one would take this as making the Malta-Paris flight compulsory.

The last part of the clue said that the teams were free to book an alternate route if they could find a better one.

That's the language the Cyclists pointed out to Jim, and which he appeared to acknowledge by admitting that the reason they couldn't get on the Rome flight was the Rule about not switching tickets after they're bought.

And I think the travel agents were specifically briefed on that and told not to offer an alternate flight out of Malta unless a Team specifically requested it. I think that's why when the Surfers showed up and asked for the "best flight to Singapore", the agent asked "do you mean the best flight from PARIS to Singapore?"

The last part of the clue said that the teams were free to book an alternate route if they could find a better one.

That's the language the Cyclists pointed out to Jim, and which he appeared to acknowledge by admitting that the reason they couldn't get on the Rome flight was the Rule about not switching tickets after they're bought.

Well that would change things. Could you or anyone else transcribe the relevant dialogue? I've deleted my recording.

RococoChanel . . . do you remember Kris & Jon from TAR6? I think that's the closest we have to a "perfect" couple. Phil didn't even bring up any faults in his end-of-season spiel. I get where you're coming from, but I'm  on the Surfers' side. Bethany has more faith in God and her husband than I will have in anything, ever. I should hate her for that, but I can't get over her.

Anybody else feel that the face POV in the massage Detour was unfortunate? I feel bad for Amy & Maya in that respect, because the camera angle seemed a little naughty.

• Love 1

I had a deep tissue massage in Malaysia.  I did not enjoy it, it left me sore.  Though they didn't do that skin abrasion thing to me.  Haven't we seen the thing with the cups on the back on this show before, or am I thinking of TAR Australia?

I am so sure I've seen that cupping thing before and I have only watched this version of TAR. Does anyone know if it's been used before?

The way I'm remembering, (and forgive me for replying before I read the next five pages, but it's late,) is that TAR has had Detours that have had a "cupping" component in at least two previous races - it's just that no teams have ever chosen it before!

• Love 2

I think bethany and adam genuinely are nice but I think editing is over the top. People know what she's doing with her handicap is amazing. It doesn't need to be repeated ad nauseam. They're likable on their own but i don't like when editing shows someone as having no flaws. For example,Luke Adams a three time racer who was deaf got edited the same as anyone else and did have some bad moments.

Also,what do we know about Adam besides him being supportive? There's never any feature given to him.

I suggest you go back and watch 14x02, the first five minutes of that episode were devoted to giving Luke the hero edit. It was nauseating.

The way I'm remembering, (and forgive me for replying before I read the next five pages, but it's late,) is that TAR has had Detours that have had a "cupping" component in at least two previous races - it's just that no teams have ever chosen it before!

Nobody picked it when it was a Detour in China (the other option was that shuttlecock hackysack thing) last season.

I agree that it's over the top at times, but maybe they really are just that nice. I know it seems impossible that anyone could be, but I do know one person (and only one — although I haven't actually met her new husband) who really is that nice and seemingly flawless. Honestly, she's so relentlessly nice, upbeat, positive, encouraging, etc. that it's kind of a mystery to me why I don't just plain hate her. I don't, though. She's lovely, and Adam & Bethany kind of have a similar vibe to me, which I think is why I find myself rooting for them, even against teams I otherwise quite like (like the cyclists, in this case).

• Love 4

When the Merlion search becomes the sole original challenge - the Pulau Ubin coconut RI being a dummied-down rehash of TAR17's Bangladeshi sugar cane press task - no amount of drama can redeem this leg's generous TAR:Asia ripoffs.

(Thank God for Melody from TARA1 as the greeter, at least.)

Edited by Rusun

I agree that it's over the top at times, but maybe they really are just that nice. I know it seems impossible that anyone could be, but I do know one person (and only one — although I haven't actually met her new husband) who really is that nice and seemingly flawless. Honestly, she's so relentlessly nice, upbeat, positive, encouraging, etc. that it's kind of a mystery to me why I don't just plain hate her. I don't, though. She's lovely, and Adam & Bethany kind of have a similar vibe to me, which I think is why I find myself rooting for them, even against teams I otherwise quite like (like the cyclists, in this case).

Yes, I worked with one of those rare people as well. And I would also say that I wanted to hate her for being so upbeat and nice - but I just couldn't, because she was so genuinely sweet, and she didn't think she was! (Hope your ears burned just now, Patty!)

Edited by riley702

I'm rewatching this episode right now and Brooke's comment about Maya making ice-cream for a living while she kicks people in the face really, really, really pissed me off, even more than it did the first time. I really can't stand her.

Yeah, I'm with you. In her mind, fighting is somehow worthy of more respect than anything academic like being a scientist. I hate that attitude. It's like the parents who retaliated against the "my child is on the honor roll" bumper stickers with the stickers saying " my football player can beat up your honor student". Funny, but the anti-intellect message is pretty freaking obnoxious.

I don't just want them to lose. I want them to be humiliated.

• Love 2

Hehe no it wasn't

ETA: a father/daughter team was last because they chose that task, althoug instead they could have gone for the reverse bungee and add up three numbers called out by the host and get the sum correctly to receive their next clue...

The father/daughter team were last because the father decided to bail on the RB, which was the Marina Sands tightrope walking challenge, and they had a 4 hour penalty (in the final leg, racing to the end.  FFS.)  Two teams tried the surfing challenge - and the big difference was that I'm pretty sure the time was cumulative, as the all female Singaporean team had one member who literally stood for a second or two before falling, while her partner could make at least 20 seconds.  So it took them a few goes, but they still would have been out in under 5 minutes (I think).  The father/daughter team also completed that challenge, while the winning Filipino team did the other side of the roadblock.  (Doing maths while upside down would have taken me significantly longer than 5 minutes... I would have to have done cumulative surfing.)

So the FF was set up as much harder in this race than it was in TAR-Asia S4, given that both members had to complete it and it wasn't cumulative.  Then again, it wasn't like any team had to do the FF - and to be honest I was surprised that the cyclists went for it given that they were in the lead and had a known time advantage over the trailing two teams.  Even if they'd been second to the U-turn box, and had been U-turned they could probably have U-turned the Dentists knowing that they would most likely still hit the mat before them.  I thought it was a pretty bad decision to go for it.