Type keyword(s) to search

So What Are You Listening To?

aradia22
  • Start Topic

Björk - All is Full of Love

Can't believe this is 20 years old!

Nice song, but the computer animation was way ahead of its time; even today it looks pretty impressive.

Edited by Zola

Slipknot - Before I forget

It's been awhile since i last got round to listening to these guys: bit long in the tooth now, but were pretty awesome back in the day; and this particular track was always a fave.

Edited by Zola
  • Love 1
On 8/14/2017 at 7:05 AM, Jac said:

Harry Styles - Two Ghosts. I have accepted that I like this album, a lot and I really like this song. It has serious britpop vibes and I love britpop.

I love this album. And because of it I decided to go see what One Direction was all about. I'm such a fan of them live, I'm more than a little shocked with myself.

Way before my time, but one of my dad's favourites (plus he had/has a secret crush on singer Stevie Nicks!)

It's a nice album that typified their calamitous private lives at the time. But "The Chain" remains my favourite, not least for the excellent guitar solos near the end. 

• Love 4

Changing it up this evening to a song that makes me cry every time I listen to it because I lost both of my parents when I was 17 in a tragic auto accident. This beautiful song comes from Lady Maisery and it is called A Father's Lullaby.

My mother died when I was 17 as well. I leaned on music to get through it. Very eclectic pieces, from all of Phil Collins' stuff with Genesis, Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue, and Linda Ronstadt's standards album.

Edited by cpcathy
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, cpcathy said:

My mother died when I was 17 as well. I leaned on music to get through it. Very eclectic pieces, from all of Phil Collins' stuff with Genesis, Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue, and Linda Ronstadt's standards album.

Music definitely does soothe the soul and it hasn't even been 6 years yet since that tragic day in my life. I can sit there and listen to something brand new and many times something can relate to my Mom or Dad.

2 hours ago, cpcathy said:

It sounds funny, but any Barry Manilowe song reminds me of her, we had his greatest hits on eight track!

Here is a song by Fleetwood Mac sung by Christine McVie called "Oh Daddy" that really reminds me of me as a young teen looking up to my dad and I could never measure up, but he loved me for me. The song came out way before I was even born, but when I heard it for the first time it instantly reminded me of him.

Edited by Cherry Bomb

In honor of what would have been Layne Staley's 50th birthday today (August 22nd), I have been listening to some old-school Alice In Chains tonight. Including this tune with none other than Ann Wilson on backing vocals:

• Love 1
On 18/08/2017 at 2:04 PM, Watermelon said:

I love this album. And because of it I decided to go see what One Direction was all about. I'm such a fan of them live, I'm more than a little shocked with myself.

I have totally reassessed One Direction since Harry's solo album came out, I thought that my really liking Zyan Malik's Pillow Talk last year was a fluke but no, I just like One Direction. I am seriously considering seeing Harry in concert next year even though tickets for my city have sold out. My parents might be getting a surprise visit around the end of April and to clarify, I am a 35 y/o woman with no children.

As for what I am listening to right now, I have been on a Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nicks kick for the last two weeks now (I have tickets to see Stevie solo in November and if Fleetwood Mac make it down this way (Australia) again, I am going, hideously expensive ticket prices be damned) and they are pretty much all I have listened to other than the new singles from Neil Finn's upcoming album. Right now this version of Big Love from The Dance is a favourite, you can really hear what an excellent guitarist Lindsey is here:

• Love 2

I don't mind the few songs I've heard by Rob Zombie. I particularly like "Living Dead Girl", and the video that goes with it.

Nostalgia time right now-listening to one of my favorite songs from my teen years, Sixpence None The Richer's "Kiss Me":

• Love 2

When I haven't been listening to playlists on shuffle, I've been checking out the new albums from artists whose work I've loved in the past.

Lorde Melodrama- Didn't really do it for me. I wasn't expecting the first album but I would have been OK with something along the lines of Yellow Flicker Beat. It just didn't evoke anything for me. In this lane, I'd rather listen to Halsey.

Mary Lambert Bold- Shorter album. I found her other album thoughtful and emotional. I don't think she got to the same place here and the spoken word portions didn't hold any weight. Not everyone is Jill Scott. I listened to the album to see if I wanted to see her in concert. I don't. I did like the pop song singles.

Lana Del Rey Lust For Life- Dull. I mean, there's always a sleepy quality to her music but I feel like it's been getting worse. Born to Die and Paradise started off strong with some filler. It took me a while to warm to Ultraviolence but there are a few tracks I like. Honeymoon has more strong tracks than Ultraviolence. I didn't really like anything on Lust For Life. And the rap felt like it was really out of place. 

Halsey hopeless fountain kingdom- Also dull.

Little Mix Glory Days- The first album is OK. I don't think they totally deserved their X Factor win as they were when they were competing on the show. Album 1 gave them time to figure things out. Salute is fantastic. I pretty much love that whole album. Get Weird wasn't as strong but it's got a solid pop sound. Glory Days should have been a return to the strength of Salute. Instead, it's like knockoff Fifth Harmony. It sounds bland compared to their other stuff because it doesn't play to their vocal strengths as much and instead tries to blend with the rest of the current radio landscape. It feels like background music when their other songs demanded to be noticed. Also, the content of the songs is so disappointingly weak and/or wishy washy. I want my awesome girl power group back. So much of this album whether it's the sexy stuff or the love/breakup songs feels like its being pitched to an imagined male listener. 

In new artists, I've checked out all of Sizzy Rocket's stuff on Spotify. There's no clear comparison. I hear a little bit of Kesha. A little bit of Pink. But she's also just herself. And there are little shifts from song to song. If you like pop with a touch of aggression (not quite brat pop/party girl pop/punk but with a touch of those things) I'd check her out. 

• Love 1
On 8/23/2017 at 1:17 AM, Jac said:

I have totally reassessed One Direction since Harry's solo album came out, I thought that my really liking Zyan Malik's Pillow Talk last year was a fluke but no, I just like One Direction. I am seriously considering seeing Harry in concert next year even though tickets for my city have sold out. My parents might be getting a surprise visit around the end of April and to clarify, I am a 35 y/o woman with no children.

As for what I am listening to right now, I have been on a Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nicks kick for the last two weeks now (I have tickets to see Stevie solo in November and if Fleetwood Mac make it down this way (Australia) again, I am going, hideously expensive ticket prices be damned) and they are pretty much all I have listened to other than the new singles from Neil Finn's upcoming album. Right now this version of Big Love from The Dance is a favourite, you can really hear what an excellent guitarist Lindsey is here:

I meant to tell you. Harry is apparently obsessed with fleetwood mac and friends with Stevie. There's video of her performing with him on YouTube. She also said sweet things about him and made him cry lol

• Love 1

Oasis "Wonderwall"

I was about 2 years old when this was released in 1995, and only came across it a few years ago when I went to see Oasis in concert with a couple of Oasis die-hards.

Quite decent albums, but their "Wonderwall" single is probably my favourite. 

Just got through Fifth Harmony's new self-titled album. There really is a very thin line between this and Little Mix Glory Days. I find them both a bit dull but Fifth Harmony's works much better because it fits into their already established brand better. There's a weird desperation to Little Mix Glory Days. Fifth Harmony's new album is different from their earlier sweet love/breakup song days but not too different from "Work From Home." It's just more sexual and kind of sleepy/dreary. Maybe people who like the newer genres of hip hop and sing-songy rap will get more out of it than I did but the new Fifth Harmony album is just too mush-mouthed for me without strong beats/melodies. "Make You Mad" was the closest to an upbeat song in the vein of "Work From Home." "Deliver" felt like a Beyonce or Tinashe rip off. I genuinely liked "Lonely Night." "Angel" sounded good but God only knows where that song was going lyrically. There were too many ideas there. Not a terrible album and I'm sure some of these will grow on me but it feels a bit like they rushed something out instead of waiting for stronger material. I wonder if it was just to have a statement after Camilla left. 

• Love 1