Type keyword(s) to search

So What Are You Listening To?

aradia22
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I found myself listening to Eric Heatherly.  He's a Country/Rockabilly artist and I only came to know of him via a blog post discussing his version of "Flowers on the Wall" (originally a hit for the Statler Brothers back in 1966).   I'm a sucker for Rockabilly music anyway.

magicdog, I will have to look up Heatherly. I love rockabilly, too. It really is just pure rock and roll and shows the amazing connection between rock and country. Statler Bros version is just so iconic. I really like Country music , though not that country pop that passes for it these days (except Dierks and Miranda). I like mine more rootsy.

ETA: OMG, just clicked your link and I have actually seen it before! Very good stuff!

Edited by prican58
On 4/30/2016 at 7:02 PM, 33kaitykaity said:

Had no idea Disturbed could make me cry to The Sound Of Silence

The version I'm watching is dedicated to Bernie.

Had no idea it would be so powerful, but it definitely was. You should post this in the covers that are better than the original thread. This is awesone. And hit me in the gut... 

• Love 2

The Monkees latest album came out last week and I'm stuck on two tracks from it:

The first single, "She Makes Me Laugh" has that power pop sound the group has been long known for but sounds very contemporary and radio friendly.  Plus, the video is perfect for them and the song.

The second is actually two versions of the same song:  "Me & Magdalena".  This version is on the album proper, but this version is on the deluxe version as a bonus.  I like them both but I think the second version really cooks.  I can also see it as a potential follow up hit

• Love 2
13 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

I am completely in love with the 'Hamilton' Broadway cast album and have been listening to it over and over and I swear I discover something new each time.

Oh, me too! Do you know about the Genius site?  I've listened to the cast recording many, many times, but now I'm going through song by song with the Genius lyrics/commentary. I'm learning a lot and am even more in awe of Lin-Manuel's genius, as impossible as that may sound.

i just ordered "In the Heights," and noticed there's a Genius site for it, so I'll have hours and hours more fun in my future.

• Love 2

The new Dierks Bentley cd "Black". I listen to it back and forth on my commute trying to figure out if I like it. I really love Dierks' voice and his choice of songs. This cd is very different from his usual stuff and I don't know who would define it as "Country" as it is a sort of mish mosh of styles but it is growing on me daily. At first listen I was ready to dismiss it, let him have his success and then just wait another 2 yrs or so for the next one. 

But I am loyal and his voice is so different and he makes me happy when I hear his songs, for the most part. 

Also have been listening to Kris Kristofferson's The Austin Sessions where he does his older songs in a more acoustic and unplugged way. Not that he ever went electric like Dylan but his previous versions were produced with all the pristine production values of the 70's and these just sound more like he's in the room with you. This guy wrote some of the best lyrics of his day. Love him.

I currently have ABBA's Greatest Hits in my cd player in the car, and since the car is old and the cd player somewhat uncooperative at times, it'll be in there for quite some time AFTER I've wanted to move on to something else.

• Love 1

My car's CD changer currently contains three Adele albums, Cyndi Lauper's greatest hits, and two I can't even remember because I have been on a Cyndi Lauper kick lately.

In the car, I mostly listen to the radio, and then switch to CD when none of my preset stations is playing anything I want to listen to.  So I tend to leave the same CDs in there for a very long time.  I put this group in when I got Adele's 25, so that's been a while.

I love my car with the XM radio in it, but I do miss my 6 CD changer.  This car only has a single CD player.  After several months, I just took disc 2 of Hamilton out and put disc 1 of Ain't Misbehavin' in.  I mostly listen to the radio, but sometimes, I need...something else.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 10:42 PM, ebk57 said:

After several months, I just took disc 2 of Hamilton out

For the longest time I couldn't get enough of 'Cabinet Battle # 1' on disc 2 but in the past few days I've realized how completely in awe I am of Jasmine Cephas Jones' vocals on 'Say No To This' and now I have a new favorite.  Too bad she seems to have been overlooked in all of the accolades and glory bestowed on her costars.

• Love 1
On 6/9/2016 at 3:40 AM, magicdog said:

The first single, "She Makes Me Laugh" has that power pop sound the group has been long known for but sounds very contemporary and radio friendly.  Plus, the video is perfect for them and the song.

Evidently, I have been living under a rock.  I didn't know The Monkee's had a new album out ... I have just listened to this song three times in a row.  Wow, what a way to take me back in time in just a few minutes.  Thank you for posting this ...

You're welcome!  What I love most about this album is that it's the best one the group has put out in decades!!  It truly suits them.  Considering the guys are a hair past 70 now, this may be the last album they put out, and if so it's a great one to go out on.

• Love 1

A. It's not a good song. I got really bored around 2:30 when I realized it wasn't really going to go anywhere else (what happened to verses and choruses?) but B. All I kept thinking was how amazing it is that a combination of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and Lily Allen has ruined these kinds of songs and videos. I cannot take them seriously at all anymore.

Been stuck on The Monkees newest single, "You Bring The Summer".  Loving it!!  The video (co-created by Jonathan Nesmith - Mike's son) is a love letter to Monkees fans!  Half the fun is spotting the easter eggs planted throughout !

The song on its own is also a great respite from the usual Top 40.  Why don't we have more quality power pop on the radio these days?

In high rotation now - Chaos Chaos: Committed to the Crime and the Hamilton soundtrack.

On 6/9/2016 at 6:35 PM, Babalu said:

Oh, me too! Do you know about the Genius site?  I've listened to the cast recording many, many times, but now I'm going through song by song with the Genius lyrics/commentary. I'm learning a lot and am even more in awe of Lin-Manuel's genius, as impossible as that may sound.

The Genius site is awesome for Hamilton <3 <3 <3 

• Love 1

I just discovered Jess' solo work this week(I only knew the Clean Bandit No Place song) while watching a preview for (shudder) Bridget Jones's Baby. I started looking at her music and she has a cool voice and brings a real great R&B vibe. I'm hoping that she finds more success in the US.

I also recently downloaded this little late 80's gem from Donny Osmond. Is it cheesy? You bet! Is it catchy? Yes. Is it totally 80's? Yes. Do I love it? Yes!

Jess Glynne has some great songs. I saw her in concert a while back. She puts on a good show.

Currently listening to Quarterflash (you know, Harden My Heart). The sax solos (gotta love the 80's) are drowning out O'Reilly and Trump pretty well.

• Love 2
(edited)

Apparently I'm taking a trip down memory lane, the last few songs I downloaded are:

1. Suicide Blonde by INXS
  2. No Sugar Tonight by The Guess Who
  3. Old Man by Neil Young
  4. Philadelphia Freedom by Elton John
  5. Humpin' Around by Bobby Brown
Edited by GaT
  • Love 1
On 7/12/2016 at 2:38 AM, magicdog said:

Been stuck on The Monkees newest single, "You Bring The Summer".  Loving it!!  The video (co-created by Jonathan Nesmith - Mike's son) is a love letter to Monkees fans!  Half the fun is spotting the easter eggs planted throughout !

The song on its own is also a great respite from the usual Top 40.  Why don't we have more quality power pop on the radio these days?

I noticed that songs were written by the likes of Weezer and Noel Gallagher/Paul Weller. Talk about pure pop for now people. I tried to sneak in a Nick Lowe reference. How clever of me.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Rick Kitchen said:

twenty one pilots, "Stressed Out".

I know the tattoos are distracting, but I really like Tyler Joseph's voices.

The song reached #2 on the Billboard Top 100.

I like the song, but why is his name "blurryface"?

(edited)

It's the name of the album the song comes from.  They explained the name, "The album is named after a character the band created called Blurryface. According to Joseph, he "represents all the things that I as an individual, but also everyone around, are insecure about." Joseph wears black paint on his hands and neck during his live shows and music videos for the album, to represent Blurryface, saying: "Very dramatic, I know, but it helps me get into that character."

So it's good to know that those aren't tattoos.

In case anybody is interested, Tyler Joseph also records with his church choir, which are billed as Five14 Church.  He also recorded "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" a couple of Christmases ago, which has a lot of views on YouTube.

Edited by Rick Kitchen

The recent special on MPT didn't get me to send money, but it did convince me to check a cd out of the library and listen to the Mamas & the Papas.  (Yeah, I said "cd" and "library".  Get off my lawn, you whippersnappers with your I-thingies!)

Been getting more Monkee music in than usual this month - I'm seeing them in concert this Saturday!

I've been downloading the "deluxe" versions of their albums, which contain alternate takes and various unreleased songs from back in the day.  I'm impressed by their version of "Wasn't Born To Follow".  It seems they were given the tune at least a year before The Byrds did their version for "Easy Rider".  A backing track was released on the deluxe version of The Birds, The Bees & The Monkees album but vocals were never added until it was included on the Good Times album.  Peter takes lead vocals here and sounds wonderful!  A banjo track was also added.  I find myself listening to it a lot.  It's pared down compared to The Byrds version, but no less enjoyable.

If the band had finished the song back in '68, I think Mike would have done lead vocals based on the simple arrangement, although Peter could have handled it as well.

Anything by Savage Garden/ Darren Hayes.

I recently downloaded the Evan Peters version of Come As You Are on iTunes to add to my iPod as I am a tad obsessed with it atm.

I'm also liking Twenty One Pilots:  Heathens, Shawn Mendes:  Stitches and a few others that I cant think of right now.

• Love 1

I really like what I've heard so far from Barns Courtney.  Doesn't have an album yet, just released singles, but I think once it's out he might do well.  The song I heard first was Glitter and Gold (soundtrack, but don't remember what), went straight to Amazon Music and bought what I could find to download. 

Three out of the four of us in our immediate family are obsessed (ok, my daughter is obsessed, my husband and I merely love) the Hamilton soundtrack.  I've heard people say "I don't like rap or hip hop" and my husband and I respond "We don't like it much either!".  What I love about it, besides the unique way it's introducing people to early American history (with a few liberties taken, but not as many as you'd think), and the brilliance of many of the lyrics, is that it's not just rap and hip hop.  There's a few other styles in there as well.  There's something for almost everyone (except rockers.  If you love rock and roll, you won't find it here).

• Love 5

I have been listening to the 'Hamilton' soundtrack almost non-stop for about four months now and I hear something new and different each time.  This is a genius piece of work from beginning to end, something I may never see or hear again in my lifetime.  (I am a rocker, by the way, but also a musical theater junkie and my two sides get along nicely)

• Love 6
17 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

I have been listening to the 'Hamilton' soundtrack almost non-stop for about four months now and I hear something new and different each time. 

Have you read the "making of"/lyric book that was written about it?  The reasons he made certain choices for the songs are brilliant and the other things they did in regards to the production is pretty interesting.  Then there are some nice stories about some of the key actors in it.  My daughter read the book in one weekend.  It's taking me longer because I've been busy, but I'm almost done and it's been definitely worth the time.

As for the music, the love and playfulness of Helpless and the passion and pain in Burn bring me to tears, and the "letters" from king are hysterical.  Genius is the right word for it.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I was wondering what Nico and Vinz were up to.  I love this new single.

I'm not sure if this is their latest song, but it's not new. This version was released in 2015 (I've have it on my iPod all this time) & I think there was another version the year before.

11 hours ago, GaT said:

I'm not sure if this is their latest song, but it's not new. This version was released in 2015 (I've have it on my iPod all this time) & I think there was another version the year before.

Ok, thanks.  I'd never heard it before, but then I only listen to one radio station, and that's only on my drive to and from work. 

4 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Ok, thanks.  I'd never heard it before, but then I only listen to one radio station, and that's only on my drive to and from work. 

It's a great song no matter when it came out :-)

• Love 1