Type keyword(s) to search

So What Are You Listening To?

aradia22
  • Start Topic

So, I've started Heart discography. I've read a while back that, if you don't fancy Led Zeppelin then Heart should be up your alley. And, what do you know? They were right!

So far, best songs that I've heard from them are: Magic Man, (Love Me Like Music) I'll be Your Song, Dreamboat Annie (Reprise), Devil Delight, Magazine and I've Got the Music In Me (Live from the Aquarius 1975).

Edited by Rushmoras
  • Love 2

Okey, so "Passionworks" (1983) was Heart's best work so far. There's only two songs in the album, which I find on the meh side compared to the rest of songs. Can't really point-out the best song in the album, though, they are all equally on the same level. But, I guess, if I had to choose... maybe, Johnny Moon?

Almost finished up with Heart discog. A couple of albums left. Now playing Corduroy Road

Got to say, that I'm not much of a fan of their later works. They have okeyish songs, but that's just it. IMO, their best years were during 1975-1982, because what they were doing was unique. There came the eighties period with the distinctive eighties heavy sound, which was okey for what it was, but later on, I guess they were going with the sound which was the most popular at that time.

So, completed Heart discog the other day. Here's a rating of their albums (ommiting live and Christmas theme in the early two-thousands). Compared to Zeps, liked them whole lot more.

Dreamboat Annie (1975) - 5/10
Magazine (1977) - 6,2/10
Little Queen (1977) - 6/10
Dog and Butterfly (1978) - 7,5/10
Bebe Le Strange (1980) - 6/10
Private Audion (1982) - 6,4/10
Passionworks (1983) - 8,2/10
Heart (1985) - 7/10
Bad Animals (1987) - 6/10
Brigade (1990) - 5,4/10
Desire Walks On (1993) - 5,3/10
Jupiter's Darling (2004) - 5/10
Red Velvet Car (2010) - 7,5/10
Fanatic (2012) - 6/10
Beautifly Broken (2016) - 6/10

Now, started Pink Floyd discography, and... oh, boy, those who said that you have to take LSD to fully enjoy and appreciate their early works, were not kidding. Holy crap. I mean, yeah, they are unique, but, I actually prefer what Gilmore did with Dark Side of the Moon and onwards.

On 11/2/2022 at 11:29 PM, Annber03 said:

Someone posted this at another site, so I'm listening to it now. Great song:

Bone Thugs in Harmony was on the soundtrack too.  It's another song that went over my head as a kid

• Love 2
9 hours ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Miss songs like this ,back when music was beautiful without having all the trash that's out there now. 

They had some great songs but I think they were short lived this group....  one of the members even died I think back in the day 

Was poking around last night and listening to some stuff from the band Muse, and came across this cover of "Fever" that Matt Bellamy did when part of a supergroup called The Jaded Hearts Club. 

And I'm kind of super obsessed with it now - it's not even been 24 hours and I don't know how many times I've listened to this already ;p:

On 11/7/2022 at 10:48 PM, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Amy Grant,wow, what a great voice. She was the whole package in the early 90's.  

Heart of Motion is one of my favorite albums

i know she still tours or did before Covid I think 

• Applause 1

I just discovered that Clint Eastwood sings! He's pretty good. Not my usual fare, but I can see how other people would like it. Thing is, he sings a lot deeper than his regular speaking voice. I'm guessing that was the style at the time the album came out. Be interesting to hear him sing closer to his natural voice. Anyone know if there are any tracks out there?

• Like 1
On 11/15/2022 at 4:05 AM, Anduin said:

I just discovered that Clint Eastwood sings! He's pretty good. Not my usual fare, but I can see how other people would like it. Thing is, he sings a lot deeper than his regular speaking voice. I'm guessing that was the style at the time the album came out. Be interesting to hear him sing closer to his natural voice. Anyone know if there are any tracks out there?

I recall the ending credits in Gran Torino was him singing.  Was kind of funny in a way 

Edit.  My next post here got merged into one….

Was a long and bad day yesterday.  Listening to Justify My Love helped me relax a little.  She’s still more soothing and sexy to watch/listen to then adult videos

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, BlueSkies said:

I recall the ending credits in Gran Torino was him singing.  Was kind of funny in a way 

Interesting listening. He's rather old and scratchy there. Maybe I should go looking for his other albums. Anyway, thanks!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Anduin said:

Interesting listening. He's rather old and scratchy there. Maybe I should go looking for his other albums. Anyway, thanks!

In the context of the film I found it hilarious that played when it ended 

Rushmoras, you rushed right past the best Pink Floyd song ever written.  Other song writers agree with this assessment.  The guitar solos are astronomic.  It's hugely popular for a reason.  But then, I love Led Zeppelin too so maybe we'll agree to disagree!

Edited by Oosala
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Oosala said:

Rushmoras, you rushed right past the best Pink Floyd song ever written.  Other song writers agree with this assessment.  The guitar solos are astronomic.  It's hugely popular for a reason.  But then, I love Led Zeppelin too so maybe we'll agree to disagree!

Who said I rushed through it :D I was listening to their albums. It's just that I liked 'Waiting for the Worms' better than 'Comfortably Numb' (in my playlists, throughout the years CN was overplayed to oblivion).

• Useful 1
13 hours ago, Rushmoras said:

Who said I rushed through it :D I was listening to their albums. It's just that I liked 'Waiting for the Worms' better than 'Comfortably Numb' (in my playlists, throughout the years CN was overplayed to oblivion).

I apologize.  I didn't mean to criticize you and I respect your choices.  And may I say that I also respect what you're doing, listening to every song on every album by a given band.  That's what I call A Music Fan!

I knew there was a reason why I did not remember anything from Endless River album, because back then I did not care much for mainly instrumental tracks. I get the feeling that it's supposed to be kinda like the Wall: all tracks go together to a coherent one. Only track 18 has lyrics.

My subjective ranking. Now, that might be a shock to someone, why such low scores (because, while I like Pink Floyd, though, what I do like is their live concerts, because you can feel the energy; with their studio albums, not so much), but I reserved my opinion with this group to not add their songs in to best of folder on Spotify, if I don't like at least 2/3 of the song. So, this way, I rejected most of their tracks even though they were good, it's just that some parts of them failed to catch my attention.

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (1967) - 2.8/10

A Saucerful of Secrets (1968) - 5.7/10

More (1969) - 3.9/10

Ummagumma (1969) - 4.2/10

Atom Heart Mother (1970) - 4/10

Meddle (1971) - 8.3/10

Obscured by Clouds (1972) - 6/10

The Dark Side of the Moon (1973) - 6/10

Wish You Were Here (1975) - 4/10

Animals (1977) - 6/10

The Wall (1979) - 5.8/10

The Final Cut (1983) - 3.8/10

A Momentary Lapse of Reason (1987) - 5.5/10

The Division Bell (1994) - 7.3/10

The Endless River (2014) - 6.7/10

• Love 1

New Enslaved track! What's interesting is that it feels like a real throwback piece. They've been moving in a more harmonic or prog direction over the years, this track sounds like it's 20 years old, or more. Still good, just surprising.

Oh, and the video features centipedes, worms, and spiders, for those sensitive to bugs.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Paint Your Wagon - he has 3 numbers in the movie.  Here's the most "famous" one.  Haven't listened to this in about forever, and I'm not going to now, but I post for your enlightenment.

Video unavailable. :( What's the name of the song? I might be able to find it myself.

7 minutes ago, Anduin said:

Video unavailable. :( What's the name of the song? I might be able to find it myself.

Sorry about that.  I just went on YouTube and searched Paint Your Wagon soundtrack.  The song I posted was I Talk to the Trees.  He does 2 more in the movie.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ebk57 said:

Sorry about that.  I just went on YouTube and searched Paint Your Wagon soundtrack.  The song I posted was I Talk to the Trees.  He does 2 more in the movie.  

Still not his normal voice. But thanks anyway!

• Like 1
On 11/20/2022 at 2:16 AM, Annber03 said:

Just listened to this song. I remember hearing it all the time as a kid:

23 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

So did I

I didn’t realize until later in life he was a Beatle 

I didn't find out that this was the first version of a music video made for that song until maybe 10 or so years ago. I loved the second one which is the one I think most of us watched and ended up becoming popular...

• Love 3
On 11/20/2022 at 3:16 AM, Annber03 said:

Just listened to this song. I remember hearing it all the time as a kid:

11 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I didn't find out that this was the first version of a music video made for that song until maybe 10 or so years ago. I loved the second one which is the one I think most of us watched and ended up becoming popular...

I didnt know of this ironically until today.  This version is very good as well

• Love 1