Type keyword(s) to search

So What Are You Listening To?

aradia22
  • Start Topic

I'm currently listening to Evanescence again. They used to be my favorite band through my teenage years, but I haven't listened to them much for almost a decade, as I got over that emo phase. Now I have two new albums to listen to that I didn't even know about, so yay! And it's interesting that when I listen to the old songs, I can still remember pretty much all the text, despite not listening to it for so long. It's funny what suff our brain remembers.

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

I always mean to explore his catalogue more but these 2 songs are very good and I could listen to over and over again.  But yeah there really the only 2 songs I know of him 

He had another in the mid '80s, "Wild Horses" (no, not a Rolling Stones cover. Another one of those different song, same name deals that is best suited for that thread! Don't think it got a lot of traction, but I remember it!):

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I'm currently listening to Evanescence again. They used to be my favorite band through my teenage years, but I haven't listened to them much for almost a decade, as I got over that emo phase. Now I have two new albums to listen to that I didn't even know about, so yay! And it's interesting that when I listen to the old songs, I can still remember pretty much all the text, despite not listening to it for so long. It's funny what suff our brain remembers.

I marvel at that sometimes, too, when listening to songs. I couldn't tell you half of what I did at work a week ago, but put on a song from 30 years ago and boom, I can recall the lyrics right off the top of my head :p. The mind is wild that way, it really is. 

As for Evanescence, I saw them about a month ago, opening up for another band I like (Muse). Amy still sounded insanely good vocally. I know some of their bigger songs, but I've never really delved much into their music beyond that, which seems a bit surprising, given some of my musical tastes. 

But yeah. They were good. I'm glad you're getting the chance to revisit an old favorite of yours - it's fun to go back and listen to stuff from your teen years, just a nice little trip down memory lane :). 

• Like 2

Shalamar had many great songs in their day

Too bad it sounded like they all hated each other.  There's a video of Howard Hewett apologizing to Jody Watley 40 years later.  On the Dead Giveaway video I believe they all had a falling out 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, MagnusHex said:

Got obsessed with playing PvZ again on mobile, then PvZ2. It's a shame the mobile version of PvZ didn't have this music video (I think), whereas I remember seeing it on the PC version.

I first heard that song a few years ago when a streamer I watch on Twitch played it.

1 hour ago, Jaded said:

I wish this song had been released as a single off their first album too.

And just seeing the title, yet another candidate for same title, different song! (Hole, a.k.a. the band with Kurt Cobain's widow, Courtney Love, also had a song called Violet, which has been used in commercials, etc.!)

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I'm really liking his solo stuff that I've been listening to the past few days. I wish it had done better back when most of it was new.

Edited by Jaded

I stayed a little extra today more than necessary at the food store when this song came on

Guess that counts as listening to music? Such a good song and like very ahead of it’s time 

• Like 5
11 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Madonna's Music popped into my head earlier today.

Was my first introduction to Ali G/Sasha Cohen

They used to be friends but not sure they still are 

• Like 1

I really like this Queen song especially with the piano being such a big part of it. Sometimes it's just nice hearing an instrument used in a song that's not always used in mainstream music. Freddie really knew how to work a piano too....🥰

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Jaded said:

This album I hadn't heard of hers yet.  I'd consider myself a fan for sure.  Her and Madonna were the real only "pop queens" if you will in my life.  Enough that I joined fan forums for both of them.....  my only real exposure a little to stan culture.

While I'm big fans of them both it dont mean I love everything they do or put out or every move.   But enough as I said I'd join a fan forum to discuss what goes on in their worlds.  

Another song video I recall

So, with Acoustic Adventures Volume Two I completed Sonata Arctica's discography. This power metal band surprised me in a good way, I could vibe with most of their songs. Shame that I only deigned to listen to them just recently.

As always, subjective assessment of each album:

Ecliptica (1999) - 6.7/10

Silence (2001) - 6.3/10

Takatalvi (2003) - 5.5/10

Winterheart's Guild (2003) - 8/10

Reckoning Night (2004) - 5/10

Unia (2007) - 6.7/10

The Days of Grays (2009) - 6.2/10

Stones Grow Her Name (2012) - 6.4/10

Pariah's Child (2014) - 7/10

The Ninth Hour (2016) - 6.7/10

Talvio (2019) - 7.3/10

Acoustic Adventures Vol. 1 (2022) - 5.8/10

Acoustic Adventures Vol. 2 (2022) - 7.5/10

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Rushmoras said:

So, with Acoustic Adventures Volume Two I completed Sonata Arctica's discography. This power metal band surprised me in a good way, I could vibe with most of their songs. Shame that I only deigned to listen to them just recently.

As always, subjective assessment of each album:

Have you ever listened to Blind Guardian or Therion? Both of those are similar to Sonata Arctica. Both very good, IMO. :)

• Like 1
On 4/9/2023 at 8:10 PM, RealHousewife said:

Listening to this throwback. Sebastian was so incredible live, and he's the most stunning man I've ever seen.

I loved that he popped up on Gilmore Girls for awhile. His hair is still as beautiful as ever going by his IG. 

• Like 3

It's my birthday in two days, and I don't feel like celebrating it. A year ago, I was afraid my dog was dying, but he ended up being okay (started eating again, etc), so my birthday ended up being a good one. Since then, I've lost three pets (including that dog), one family member, and an old friend (a few weeks ago), and I'm just... not feeling it. I've also been dealing with vertigo, on top of the depression. 

Edited by Anela
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 4
  • Love 1