Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

That's why when people go Oooh, Netflix,  you'll never need anything else, I go yeah, right.

Near the end of my cat's life, she started wanting to be outside more, so I let her, she was old and dying anyway. She would bring me headless mice and leave them on the doorstep, like "LOOK, MOM!! I brought you a gift!"....Uhh....thanks...Kitty

I'm not a vet but I was told that when a cat does that, she's trying to teach you how to hunt your own food.  So that would suggest that she knew she was dying and wanted you to be able to hunt for yourself when she was gone.

• Love 3

I'm not a vet but I was told that when a cat does that, she's trying to teach you how to hunt your own food.  So that would suggest that she knew she was dying and wanted you to be able to hunt for yourself when she was gone.

That's an unbearably cute view of carcasses.

My dogs would catch mice and leave dead animals on my back porch all the time. I for some reason adopted a bunch of hunting dogs which were two terriers and a Beagle/Lab mix. My Westie would even go under the deck to catch animals. I will say I've learned that possums are really good at playing dead, like really good. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

I like the impression it leaves, like a sunset over the water.  :D

Thanks. And sure let's say that was where I was going with it.. the blue is supposed to be the sunset... I'm not sure what I was thinking with the purple, but I couldn't do green because than you wouldn't have seen the mask and glasses.

That's a very impressive cake, foreverevolving.

Thank you, I personally think it's a shit show- which is why my grade was so low (52, I got 52 for it- to be fair I had a bunch of stuff missing from the cake I forgot to add and the carving of the scene was not perfect, and neither is the drawing of the glasses and mask.. so, you live, you make mistakes, you hopefully learn.

Nice job, foreverevolving!

thank you.

It's cute. Looks nice and simple though I know that fade in the frosting is no way simple and neither is the picture. I don't necessarily understand the blue but it's pretty. I love the picture and then the Glasses and Mask. The flowers are great.

Thanks. Actually the cake is covered in fondant. the fade is was done by spraying on the color. which was essential to be able to carve the kiss and still it being white in the back. The picture took me about an hour and half to cut on the cake and then carve. it was a nice experience, the carving, I liked it - It reminded me of when I was a kid once and our apartment was being retouched, in Israel most building are made of concrete so every once in a while you have to patch up the walls since you get cracks- anyway the guys who came to do it would mix the concrete use it and than they would have these "rocks" of dried concrete (or maybe it was something else I can't remember) left, they always ended up looking like strange shapes that were just asking to be carved and polished.. so yea that's what I did at the age 10 for about a week :-P

And yes the flowers did came out nicely.

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 2

Heh. I saw the promo and turned back to Hulu the second arrow ended. Oh I got Hulu. So far it's neat, hate the ads but neat.

Yeah, I have Hulu, but other than Brooklyn 99, which I've already watched, nothing was calling my name.

I'm watching the Mindy Project. The other half hates Arrow so now he gets to watch comedies. Though I can't wait to catch up on Brooklyn.

They made Danny into SUCH a douche I had to quit watching. I mean hey, old-fashioned guy, fine. Asshole trying to knock up his already recently knocked up girlfriend by sabotaging her birth control, NOT FINE.

Brooklyn 99's been great recently. Spoiler, Peralta and the Captain both name their measles goiters. It is amazing.

With that being said, today was my lab practical day and the cake was due. it looks like shit (I really suck at cakes!!) but you all deserve to see what it looks like. I couldn't get my hands on a funko pop Oliver (but I did buy and now own a Felicity one, so that's something).

With that being said I do love the top tier because i was able to experiment with a technique the chef didn't show us (carving), even if it could have come out looking better- again me and cakes, specifically fondant and just using it and painting on it and anything to do with creating cakes-- we just don't gel too well together. i'm more of an ideas person than execution.

Bonus points if you can identify the scene I used :-P

Apparently, my post didn't post. Oh the joys of faulty internet on public transportation!!

Anyway, I wanted to say the cake looks good!!! So glad you were able to improvise. I loved the scene photo you chose. The flowers came out really great. But I love the ombre of the blue. Well done @foreverevolving!

• Love 1
Thank you, I personally think it's a shit show- which is why my grade was so low (52, I got 52 for it- to be fair I had a bunch of stuff missing from the cake I forgot to add and the carving of the scene was not perfect, and neither is the drawing of the glasses and mask.. so, you live, you make mistakes, you hopefully learn.

Wow, that's really tough marking.  I would have given it a 72 minimum, even with what was missing.

That's why when people go Oooh, Netflix,  you'll never need anything else, I go yeah, right.

Well, shit. That actually kind of makes sense, because about two weeks later, I let her out for her outing and...she never came back. I was convinced then that she went off to die in the canyon.  I looked high and low for her but to no avail.  Your comment made me a bit weepy and brought me a bit of peace that what I suspected was true. Thank you...I think :)

• Love 1

30 years today since the Challenger explosion.

Seeing the pics in the news today is bringing back memories, even though I was only nine when it happened.

My gods. I just realized how old I really am because I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when that news broke.

/imbibes copious amounts of wine and wonders WTF have i done with my life...

• Love 3

From the episode thread:

NOTP = "Non-Organic Toilet Paper?"

Here's a link to the Urban Dictionary definition. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=NOtp

I've always thought of it as a pairing, not just that you don't particularly care for, but that you have a strong negative reaction to for whatever reason. For me, that would be Lauriver, or Nick/Adalind on Grimm, for two current examples.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1

Major recommendation! If it is coming to your area buy a ticket to watch the Broadway national tour production of Cabaret! especially if you are watching it with Randy Harrison (aka Justin from Queer as Folk) as the Emcee.

Edited by foreverevolving

Major recommendation! If it is coming to your area buy a ticket to watch the Broadway national tour production of Cabaret! especially if you are watching it with Randy Harrison (aka Justin from Queer as Folk) as the Emcee.

Hmmm. It's coming to L.A. in July but I was planning to skip it, figuring there is no way it could measure up to the Alan Cumming production---not the recent one but the 90s version with Natasha Richardson, Ron Rifkin, Denis O'Hare and John Benjamin Hickey---talk about a stellar cast! I haven't seen Randy Harrison in anything since Queer As Folk so it's hard for me to picture him as anyone other than Justin. Speaking of which . . . what's Gale Harold up to these days? The last time I saw him was in a stage production of Orpheus Descending a few years ago.

I thought One True Pairing was the one that the EPs were going for as endgame (e.g. Barry/Iris) rather than the one I found more interesting (Barry/Patty).

My experience with OTP has always been that it's a person's most favorite romantic pairing in a piece, regardless of whether that's a canon couple. Back when people used to limit themselves to a single fandom, it even meant that if you had an OTP, you only 'shipped that one pairing, period.

The fanlore article about the term is pretty aces, there's origins and the other OT*s listed too: http://fanlore.org/wiki/One_True_Pairing

• Love 6

Hmmm. It's coming to L.A. in July but I was planning to skip it, figuring there is no way it could measure up to the Alan Cumming production---not the recent one but the 90s version with Natasha Richardson, Ron Rifkin, Denis O'Hare and John Benjamin Hickey---talk about a stellar cast! I haven't seen Randy Harrison in anything since Queer As Folk so it's hard for me to picture him as anyone other than Justin. Speaking of which . . . what's Gale Harold up to these days? The last time I saw him was in a stage production of Orpheus Descending a few years ago.

I thought it was wonderful! (I don't know if Randy will be there by the time they reach LA- sometimes actors leave the national tours after a few months), with that being said: this was my first time ever watching Cabaret in any form (never even seen the movie) so for this was a brand new show, I thought it was splendid and Justin did a great job.

But wow it sounds like the production you were at was amazing! my supervisor at work saw it when Joel Gray played the Amcee role back in the 80's.

Anyway i highly recommend it.

The cake is wonderful! Great job. Is it the 2x23 outtake kiss?

Thank you, and Yep!

The X Files numbers are absolutely insane. When my husband started watching this fall, I ended up looking up info on a lot of the episodes to see who'd written, directed, etc., and I would quote him the ratings to compare to present-day, laughing about how nothing gets 20 million viewers these days. (And granted, it didn't in its initial airing, but times have changed, so I think it gets credit.)

• Love 1

I will preface the following by saying that I'm about to get kind of emotional but, well, it's been a long, bad day. Preceded by a long, bad year and 2016 isn't looking good so far.

Thank you for providing a safe haven for me to escape to when things have been hard to deal with. Where I can read about all the stupid, insane stories and wild theories about this idiot show that I can't seem to stop watching and forget about my problems for a while. You guys are the best.

I barely slept last night between bad dreams and worrying, and then, while waiting for my kids to get off the bus, a dog ran up and peed on my leg. Not even kidding. So…things will hopefully get better from here on in. Right?

• Love 13

That's terrible.  Stupid dog.

Things will get better.

I knew a lady from Barbados who used to say "If you don't get through, you'll fall through."  I always liked that expression because it said I'll get through this somehow.

• Love 5

I will preface the following by saying that I'm about to get kind of emotional but, well, it's been a long, bad day. Preceded by a long, bad year and 2016 isn't looking good so far.

Thank you for providing a safe haven for me to escape to when things have been hard to deal with. Where I can read about all the stupid, insane stories and wild theories about this idiot show that I can't seem to stop watching and forget about my problems for a while. You guys are the best.

I barely slept last night between bad dreams and worrying, and then, while waiting for my kids to get off the bus, a dog ran up and peed on my leg. Not even kidding. So…things will hopefully get better from here on in. Right?

Hopefully things get better. One day at a time. Sometimes its the little things that keep us hanging on.. Maybe the dog has special powers & it's urine is as special blessing to help you through your trouble. At least it didn't bite you. As my Mum always said, "it could usually always be worse, it could also always be better, but it could always be worse"

• Love 2

I like Sci-fi so The Colony sounds promising. The paranormal one could be interesting, providing KW sticks with the show. The Transylvania one sounds laughably bad and will probably do as poorly as Reign. Riverdale is a giant NO but, I've never been a fan of Archie comics

Edited by Morrigan2575
And the fifth is Kevin Williamson's re-do of Frequency. /hack alert

Williamson has a different pilot not yet titled and is being directed by David Nutter.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/kevin-williamson-frequency-cw-pilot-orders-1201692545/

The re-do of Frequency is from Jeremy Carver who is currently the showrunner of Supernatural.

“Frequency” is a re-imagining of the 2000 New Line Cinema feature that starred Dennis Quaid and Jim Caviezel. The TV spin finds a female police detective in 2016 discovers she is able to speak via a ham radio with her dead father, who helps her work on an unsolved murder case.   Jeremy Carver (“Supernatural,” “Being Human”) penned the script and exec produces with New Line president Toby Emmerich, John Rickard, Dan Lin and Jennifer Gwartz.

Oh, pardon me, I confused the hack writers. :)

Eh,I have mixed feelings re Carver. He wrote some excellent eps of SPN I. E. Mystery Spot, Changing Channels, The Rqpture and some less than stellar. I think he's been less successful a showrunner. I'm more curious what his involvement means for SPN, but I'll take that to the SPN forum. YMMV

Edited by catrox14

I have a bizarre relationship with Supernatural. I've watched since the beginning, I love the brothers even when I want to smack them, I've never missed an episode. I mean, sometimes I let 2-3 sit in my DVR for a while but I do watch them eventually. I get ragey when I remember all the wonderful female characters they've killed but the rage goes away pretty quickly. It's the only show that's been programmed in my DVR regularly for the past 10-plus years. My friends know of my love for it enough that I've gotten SPN-related gifts. And yet, I've never gone to the forum here. I've not read fanfic or looked for spoilers. I don't even know episode titles or who wrote them. 

• Love 4

I watched SPN for a decade before I finally rage-quit last season, I have zero good will towards anyone involved in it. My grudge will last long and strong.

Okay, well I really wasn't trying to change your mind or anything, just stating my opinion.  Sorry for ruffling any feathers with a positive comment about the show. /slinks back to the SPN forum....

Edited by catrox14

I was die hard Supernatural fan at the start. Never missed an episode. They lost what made it good for me.

I'm not into the Devils and Angels stuff. I wish they had never made Castiel or Crowley regulars.

I wish it was still about two brothers on the road, saving people, hunting things. The family business.

• Love 2

I have a bizarre relationship with Supernatural. I've watched since the beginning, I love the brothers even when I want to smack them, I've never missed an episode. I mean, sometimes I let 2-3 sit in my DVR for a while but I do watch them eventually. I get ragey when I remember all the wonderful female characters they've killed but the rage goes away pretty quickly. It's the only show that's been programmed in my DVR regularly for the past 10-plus years. My friends know of my love for it enough that I've gotten SPN-related gifts. And yet, I've never gone to the forum here. I've not read fanfic or looked for spoilers. I don't even know episode titles or who wrote them.

I had 2 really terrible experiences interacting in SPN fandom in the early years, so I watched it without fandom on purpose. I really liked some aspects of it, while realizing how fucking problematic the show's always been wrt to women. But Charlie was too much for me. I kinda hate them all now. :/

Supernatural lost me around season 5. I'm shocked it's still on the air. How many times can the brothers die, go to hell, come back to life, come back from hell, get taken over by angels and demons, get their bodies back from angels and demons? It seems like rinse, wash, repeat to me.

I'm not trying to offend anyone that still likes it. It's still on so obviously it has a loyal fanbase. It just lost it's appeal for me.  

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 5