Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

My favourite Alan Rickman role was Galaxy Quest although I liked almost everything he did because it always seemed like he had an underlying sense of the absurdity of the world.

It has been a bad week. David Bowie, both 69 and both dying of cancer.  And two more Shakesperian actors, Brian Bedford also of cancer at 80 and William Needles at 97.

Official trailer for Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (out Feb. 5th) - I don't know, this movie could be either enjoyable or really bad...

The "my daughters are trained to fight" aspect is hilarious.  Being a kickass fighter has become such a part of our culture, it's easy to forget that Bruce Lee started in on the old Green Hornet.

Please take a photo of the cake and post it here when you're done! :) I'd love to see it

Also I know you're cooling on the whole 'funko' thing for the figures, but Felicity funkos have just started selling on Amazon and I'm sure you can get it by next week if you want :)

Hope all goes well with the cake! Yes would love to see it to when it's done!

We'll see, I showed the sketch to my chef his first reaction was: "we're doing a wedding cake" (Really!? duh!- was my inner voice rection) and then I told him i was doing the wedding cake of TV show fictional couple and I could literally see him wrinkling his nose and judging the hell out of my choice.... I should add that my sketch wasn't finished so that may have had something to do with it. His reaction (as opposed to his reaction to everybody else's cakes) has tempered my excitement and my imagination - which honestly I should have anticipated, we have a vastly different taste when it comes to cake decorating! he's old fashioned, i'm more into the post modern thematic ideas.. plus I usually suck at cakes so.. we'll see what happens.

I may end up not doing it and just doing something basic. If that will happen i'll still share the sketch with all of you.

On a more superficial note, Oscar nominations were announced this morning (Brooklyn and Saoirse Ronan are among the nominees!)...

Oscars 2016 Nominations: Complete List of Nominees

by ZACH JOHNSON Thu, Jan 14, 2016 8:45 AM

http://www.eonline.com/news/730249/oscars-2016-nominations-complete-list-of-nominees

2016 Oscar Nominations Announced! Sylvester Stallone, Leonardo DiCaprio, Mad Max Earn Nods

BY JODI GUGLIELMI @JodiGug3 01/14/2016 AT 08:30 AM EST

http://www.people.com/article/oscar-2016-nominations

I have only seen The Martian. Which was very good.

Dying to see Brooklyn, Spotlight and Mad Max.

The only race I care about is Best Actor because of all the Leo memes. #CanHeDoIt2016?!

I hope either Spotlight or Room will win, I just saw Spotlight the other night and it was incredible! and I have yet to see Room but I am so ready for a female led movie to finally win the oscar!

also: 5 directors, zero of them are females!!

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 2

Emma Thompson's Tribute to AR

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/01/alan-rickman-dead-emma-thompson-tribute

Alan was my friend and so this is hard to write because I have just kissed him goodbye.

What I remember most in this moment of painful leave-taking is his humour, intelligence, wisdom, and kindness. His capacity to fell you with a look or lift you with a word.

That intransigence which made him the great artist that he was — his inedible and cynical wit, the clarity with which he saw most things, including me, and the fact that he never spared me the view. I learned a lot from him.

He was the finest of actors and directors. I couldn’t wait to see what he was going to do with his face next. I consider myself hugely privileged to have worked with him so many times and to have been directed by him.

He was the ultimate ally. In like, art and politics. I trusted him absolutely.

He was, above all things, a rare and unique human being and we shall not see his like again.

• Love 3

My favourite Alan Rickman role was Galaxy Quest although I liked almost everything he did because it always seemed like he had an underlying sense of the absurdity of the world.

It has been a bad week. David Bowie, both 69 and both dying of cancer.  And two more Shakesperian actors, Brian Bedford also of cancer at 80 and William Needles at 97.

Brian Bedford too? Oh no! I loved him. I saw him in "Much Ado About Nothing" as Benedick at the Stratford Festival in Canada many years ago and he was so wonderful. And of course my favorite Robin Hood…

What a crap week. 

Foreverevolving, whatever you decide to do, good luck! I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

• Love 1

Brooklyn is up for Best Picture, though it's not expected to win, still, that's bound to get EBR into some good Oscar parties as a cast member, even if it seems unlikely to net her an actual ticket to the Oscars. 

• Love 1

Wow, GameStop just sent me an email to use my UNUSED RESERVATION CREDIT on something else even though it shows that its on Felicity Smoak pop!

"It's like free money! Use your reservation credit now to buy the latest releases."  I don't know it just really galls me.

What is it with famous people dying from cancer this week!??

Celine Dion husband, Rene Angelilhas passed away after years of fighting cancer

http://www.people.com/article/rene-angelil-dead-celine-dion-husband-dies-of-cancer

My heart breaks for her and Their Children together as well as his kids from another Relationship , and the Familes of David Bowie and Alan Rickman. Cancer fucking sucks. I remember hearing when Celine released her cover of "Power of love" she deciated it to him

What a lovely, thoughtful tribute. I had a chance to chat with AR at a party when he was starring in Private Lives on Broadway and he was just as witty and sarcastic as I expected but also kind and down-to-earth. I've been lucky enough to interact with quite a few celebrities because of work and I always appreciated the ones who were actually present and focused during a conversation, like AR, as opposed to distracted and scanning the room for someone more important. Then again, it's just nice to meet a celeb who's not an entitled asshole.

What a sad, sad week. :(

• Love 5

The West Wing is my all time favorite. I've watched the first four seasons more times than I can count (I don't mind seasons 6 and 7, but 5 is such a slog that I can never make it through). I was actually just thinking yesterday that it's about to start another rewatch. 

• Love 2

I ran across Toby pranking Josh on election day which is very funny. But Josh pulls out the 'I can be whoever you want me to be' line on an attractive woman. Ew, man.

But the Sorkin years are truly wonderful.

The Prison Break revival is confirmed. I really don't see how it will work. I mean I can, but it's lame. First they decapitated Sara (which was the WORST!) and then she was back. I suppose it was just some poor random woman's head then, I stopped watching by that point. Now they'll have Michael, who was electoructed as far as I remember and was suffering from a deadly disease. What, the shock cured him?

I truly love the first season of that show and the second was still very solid despite the changes. But the third was just so dreary and boring that I didn't bother to go back to watching when Sara came back. I saw the finale, which, although sad, ended on a note of hope and was fitting to Michael's character. Then they did the movie which ruined that for me.

• Love 1

I just watched Brooklyn and I have to say that it's such a lovely, heartfelt film. It's not ostentatious like some of the other Oscar nominated films, but amazing in its simplicity and how it manages to pull at your heartstrings. Saoirse Ronan did such a wonderful job and her performance was really nuanced. I just loved it. :) Also a huge compliment to EBR because I didn't even think of Felicity when I watched the film. Maybe it was the costume, but she exuded such a different personality... Since I only know EBR through Arrow, I feel like that's a huge accomplishment.

• Love 5

I just finished binging the 100 because my boyfriends brother made me and omfg it's better than I would've thought. Addictive kind of good. But Damn if I don't want Clarke to

stab Lexa in the face for her betrayal

how can people ship that? !

• Love 7

I just finished binging the 100 because my boyfriends brother made me and omfg it's better than I would've thought. Addictive kind of good. But Damn if I don't want Clarke to

stab Lexa in the face for her betrayal

how can people ship that? !

It's something I'll never understand. I don't think Lexa is a bad person for what she did. She did it for her people and sometimes you have to make difficult sacrifices. But this sacrifice is something that could never make me ever want to ship them.

Other than that, IDK, I feel like the show forces it sometimes. The EPs said that Lexa fell in love with Clarke during their first meeting, but I honestly never saw it. I even watched the show knowing full well what would happen between them (apart from that betrayal). I think they have chemistry... But I just don't understand the relationship at all. I also think that the show built it up WAY too quickly for my taste. Like you blink and you miss it fast.

• Love 2

I don't want to think Lexa is a bad person. But it's not as if it was a last ditch effort. They weren't close to losing. They had every advantage and she took the easy way out. That's disturbing to me.

• Love 3

I think that Lexa would do whatever she could to completely ensure her people's safety. It sort of reminds me of Dark Knight. Would you kill a bunch of people you don't know if it means it can save your life? The people on those boats were better people than Lexa, even the criminals. But does this make Lexa despicable? IDK I think she was given an impossible choice considering she doesn't KNOW any of these people or whether they'd betray her and her people. She wanted to make sure there was a contingency plan in place.

It's a very interesting debate to have imo

• Love 1

My sister tied the rest of the family to the couch over the holiday and made us watch The 100 and I really loved it, but I thought she was going to throw me out of her house when I said that I thought Lexa wasn't so much making the tough choice for her people as being really stupid. The really tough choice would have been sucking up the short term loss of life so that she could beat a group that has been hitting her people with blister fog and treating them like lab rats. Plus Clarke and company made excellent allies, and pissing them off seemed like a poor long-term choice. My sister is a big time Clexa shipper, and did not agree AT ALL

I absolutely loved Bellamy and Clarke's dynamic, but didn't feel a burning need to smoosh them together like I did with Oliver and Felicity, and would be fine with them as either friends or lovers.

• Love 4

R.E.D. and R.E.D. 2 are on TNT. Love them both.

The Prison Break revival is confirmed. I really don't see how it will work. I mean I can, but it's lame. First they decapitated Sara (which was the WORST!) and then she was back. I suppose it was just some poor random woman's head then, I stopped watching by that point. Now they'll have Michael, who was electoructed as far as I remember and was suffering from a deadly disease. What, the shock cured him?

I truly love the first season of that show and the second was still very solid despite the changes. But the third was just so dreary and boring that I didn't bother to go back to watching when Sara came back. I saw the finale, which, although sad, ended on a note of hope and was fitting to Michael's character. Then they did the movie which ruined that for me.

Never watched it, but Wentworth Miller was in the Go Fish episode of Buffy, in which the swimmers turn into creatures from the Black Lagoon. Also, Amy Adams was in the episode in which Tara's redneck family comes for a visit, as her, I believe, cousin. And whatshisdouche from Avengers, with the bow, was in an episode of Angel. The casting directors for those shows did a good job spying talent.

• Love 1

Nope. According to IMDb, the Buffy episode is from 2000, The West Wing one from 2002. I've got to say, Josh again has a douchy moment in it. Now I'm almost afraid to rewatch the show. It's still great in the clips, but I definitely haven't pick up on this regarding Josh so much on previous viewings.

I love Josh but Josh was a bit of an arrogant jackass. While Josh had dbag tendencies they were only a small part of his character. They probably get over shadowed by his good aspects in the episodes which is they never stood out doing your full rewatch.

Watching R.E.D. 2 (Neal McD as bad guy, btw), I realized I just love it when the primary good guy is ridiculously unrealistically badass awesome. Do not care how unrealistic it is. So yeah, Arrow, re-badass (without manpain, especially woman-injured-for-manpain) Oliver. Please.

• Love 2

Amy Adams was also in Smaville in its first season

She was one of the few FoTW that came off very sympathetic. Didn't stop her storyline from being absolutely cringe worthy, but even before anyone knew who she was, her performance was memorable for being a lot more nuanced than most, lol. 

Amy Adams was alos in a failed TV version of Cruel Intension. This stuck with me because I remember being surprised to see Tara's cousin flash her boobs.

FoTW = Freak of the Week in Smallville if memory serves.

• Love 2

I feel so bad for Aaron Rodgers; at least Green Bay did a lot better than I thought they would.

At this point, though, Arizona seems to be in better shape and might have the better odds to beat Seattle should they manage to upset Carolina tomorrow, so I'm glad they won. I need the Seahawks eliminated before the Superbowl.