Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

I LOVE Better off Ted so much, very funny and some great continuity.

Of all the Brian Fuller shows, Dead like Me, Pushing Daisies and Wonderfalls, I love wonderful the most and really wish they got more than a few episodes. Interestingly in the DVD commentary of Wonderfalls they talk about some characters and what they would have done in Season 3 and Season 2. I think it would have been great still if they reached that far.

• Love 1

So I just watched episode 11 of Jessica Jones, and Trish Walker is my new crush. She's just fantastic. How did they manage to get this character in under the radar, make her this awesome and then keep quiet about it until the show aired? How was Rachael Taylor not shouting it from the rooftops? Her friendship with Jessica is one of the most fully realised, in such a short space of time, that I've seen for I don't know how long.

• Love 4

Trish really did end up being one of my favorite parts about Jessica Jones and as I mentioned before in other threads, what surprised me was that Rachael Taylor struggled big time in the past three shows I've seen her in (Charlie's Angels, 666 Park Avenue, and Crisis), but I thought she killed it in Jessica Jones.  I guess she just needed to find the right part for her.  Either way, I'm glad this seems to be getting her some recognition.  The Jessica/Trish relationship is the best.

Also, Jessica Jones the series in general was great, and Kilgrave is probably my new favorite Marvel villain, and I don't think I'll be able to watch David Tennant's Doctor Who episodes or Broadchurch again, without being creeped out.  Chilling (and somehow charismatic at times) performance right there.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 2

I liked Trish, and Jess/Trish friendship, but it was Kilgrave who was the most memorable part of the show for me. Such a great performance, and such a fucked-up, creepy, awful dynamic with Jessica. I couldn't take my eyes away from the screen during their scenes. That was phenomenal.

• Love 1

The thing that I think really works with Kilgrave is how scarily normal he is. He's not a moustache-twirling villain, he's not a manic, crazy villain, everything he says and does is fairly understated and undramatic. He tells people to jump off buildings or shoot themselves in the face like it's everyday conversation. He genuinely and honestly doesn't understand how horrific his behaviour is, and has absolutely no empathy for anyone, including the woman he claims to love. 

Tennant's performance for much of this isn't markedly different than his roles in other shows, because there's not much about Kilgrave, on the surface, that sets him apart from the next man. Until you start to talk to him.

• Love 2

I might have watched the 50th Anniversary Special of Charlie Brown and A Charlie Brown Christmas... and remembered why I love it so much! Sadly, I wish I could be more like Charlie Brown, man that guy really did have perseverance and keep on trying.

It might not have put me in the holiday spirit, but it is getting me a little closer...

That is an interesting read, but in Australia we find other means to watch American content because networks take forever (moths to years) to air or it's tied up by our shitty Cable provider. If they are using traditional rating that is mostly viewing habits of older non-internet savvy Australians, I almost never watch Free to Air TV on my TV.

I'm not sure it accurately reflects our habits as a whole, South Africa's data I might believe more, because I don't think they download as much, and they get content fairly soon after there US. I know a lot of my family over there can't afford the internet, but they seem fairly up to date with TV. 

I'm such an odd duck right now. I kind of liked Jesse's Lex. It's like he really wanted to be The Joker. 

I'll sit with you in the odd corner 'cause I thought Eisenberg's Lex was rather entertaining. Playing arrogant douchebags is right up Eisenberg's alley so I think he might be able to pull it off?

I don't really give a damn about Batman and Superman's lover's quarrel right now, though. Because I totally squealed at Wonder Woman's big entrance at the end. I couldn't help it. I love Wondy.

• Love 1

The only part of the movie I'm remotely looking forward to is Gal's Diana. I'm more disappointed then I was with that Nolan crap. I still say this though, Batman's grappling hook action is on point. Thats something I have always wanted in my Batman movies, Bruce running across rooftops and jumping off skyscrapers.

Edited by Delphi
  • Love 1

I'll sit with you in the odd corner 'cause I thought Eisenberg's Lex was rather entertaining. Playing arrogant douchebags is right up Eisenberg's alley so I think he might be able to pull it off?

I don't really give a damn about Batman and Superman's lover's quarrel right now, though. Because I totally squealed at Wonder Woman's big entrance at the end. I couldn't help it. I love Wondy.

I agree, I really liked Eisenberg as Lex.. just enough slimy, insane genius person action going on in his acting that I totally buy him as how I think Lex could be.

I thought the trailer was okay, a bit too much info. they keep showing wayyy too much from the movie. I hope there isn't another big trailer planned cause they may just spoil everything.- for example: they could have skipped showing us the body being wheeled, and just show us the bringing him back to life and than move over to the next scene of him firing the fire and WW saving the boys as a way to introduce her.

Casting Eisenberg was an even bigger fail than Batfleck. I'm still not buying Ben Affleck as Bruce Wayne but he wasn't as bad as Lex Luthor

I've been ignoring the spoilers for this lately but didn't they a while back come out and say that Eisenberg isn't actually playing Lex Luthor but the son of Lex Luthor? (Jr.)

Edited by BkWurm1

I've been ignoring the spoilers for this lately but didn't they a while back come out and say that Eisenberg isn't actually playing Lex Luthor but the son of Lex Luthor? (Jr.)

He's called Lex Luthor in the promo, if he was the son he would/should be Alexander Luthor.

I looked it up and they're saying he's supposed to be the son but, that seems kind of Bullshit. They're trading on the Lex Luthor name and rumor has it he's either going to lose his hair at the end of the movie or reveal that he's been bald all along.

So basically they want Lex Luthor but are saying he's Jr because they cast Jessie Eisenberg.

Edited by Morrigan2575

Honestly the Jr. was the only thing keeping me from tearing my hair out.  I have to cling to that still to accept him.  It's not how young he is, Michael Rosenbaum was in his twenties when he was cast as Lex and he was great.  Eisenberg simply does not have the charisma.   I can buy him as a villain but a whining spoilt child villain, not someone convinced he is saving the world.   

I'm so happy that Colin Donnel landed a good role on a hit NBC show. I just watched a promo for Chicago Med during Grimm and it was all CD.

I saw another promo earlier in the week for this past episode. Poor CD even on an NBC show he's got a jerk for a dad.

Edited by Morrigan2575

I'm so happy that Colin Donnel landed a good role on a hit NBC show. I just watched a promo for Chicago Media during Grimm and it was all CD.

I saw another promo earlier in the week for this past episode. Poor CD even on an NBC show he's got a jersey for a dad.

LOL autocorrect.

Honestly? i'm reserving, proper and full, judgment until the movie comes out, about both Eisenberg and Affleck. If I remember correctly when Heath Ledger got cast as The Joker, and Christian Bale as Bruce/Batman, everyone were shouting "they're not right!' and now everyone (okay most people) are like "oh best performance! they were amazing"

I think the same thing was also said about Cavill! and now it seem most seem think he's doing a damn good job.

So, Yea! i'm gonna wait for the movie itself, and judge it then simply because we don't know how the movie is gonna play out and how these two characters are constructed, for all we know for this version of the characters these two actors are the perfect fit.

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 1

From Spoiler discussion thread

Thank you.... It's been how many years since Titanic and I am still pissed at Rose!! "I'll never let go", yeah right! I love that there has been legitimate research done to prove that Rose really was a bitch. And then to throw the diamond back when she could have done so much good with the money. Maybe fund an art school in Jack's name.

I promise to move over. There will be room on the plank :)

Mythbusters actually tested this out.

http://screencrush.com/mythbusters-titanic/

From Spoiler discussion thread

Mythbusters actually tested this out.

http://screencrush.com/mythbusters-titanic/

Thanks for the link! I feel like I read articles during one of the anniversaries that they both could have survived on the plank. Or there were other strategies that could have allowed them both to survive. But I'm too lazy to find those articles now. I just find it hysterical that there were multiple legit organizations & shows that looked into whether a fictional character could have survived a shipwreck on a plank.

But honestly, as fascinating as the research is, it doesn't change my feelings towards Rose. She could have stayed on the lifeboat safe & sound and then Jack would have had a plank all to himself. I'm still mad at her for letting him go... More importantly, I'm also mad that she didn't do anything worthwhile with the necklace, when it had so much financial potential.

Permission to come aboard as well.  I don't have life jackets, but I do have cookies. :)

I just watched LOY today and I'm pretty zen on the whole thing.  I don't like that Oliver lied AT ALL. He definitely should and will suffer the consequences, although I'm guessing not until February sweeps for maximum drama. And just to make it more painful, I'm sure Felicity will find out from someone else like her father or Malcolm that Oliver lied. But as a soap opera veteran from way back (and lets be real Arrow is now and always has been a soap opera...with arrows) lying about a secret kid is a 3 or 4 tops on the scale of manufactured soap angst. It could have been so much worse.  Talk to me when Oliver pretends to be dying from a brain tumor to make Felicity feel sorry for him and break up her new romance cuz yeah one of my former ships did that.

Cookies are good :)

Is your soap - Days of our Lives???

That's my Mum's soap. I have been following that show for years. I watch an episode once in a blue moon these days. I have not been really able to watch it since they got rid of Sami & EJ. It's just not the same. But every now and then my Mum will update me or I'll catch an episode with her. I feel like that was the most recent drama in Chad's story. I will say that Stefano is one of the best Soap Opera Villains. It's been decades and he still is basically winning all the time. And I love him just the same as I did when I was a child and met him on my screen during my random snowdays & summer vacations.

Cookies are good :)

That's my Mum's soap. I have been following that show for years. I watch an episode once in a blue moon these days. I have not been really able to watch it since they got rid of Sami & EJ. It's just not the same. But every now and then my Mum will update me or I'll catch an episode with her. I feel like that was the most recent drama in Chad's story. I will say that Stefano is one of the best Soap Opera Villains. It's been decades and he still is basically winning all the time. And I love him just the same as I did when I was a child and met him on my screen during my random snowdays & summer vacations.

I'm actually really loving Days right now. Since the new writing regime took over, the show is miles better than it has been in YEARS. There still are some issues to address and they've had to clean up the mess of the last writing team, but it's improving every day.

Edited by NumberCruncher

I'm actually really loving Days right now. Since the new writing regime took over, the show is miles better than it has been in YEARS. There still are some issues to address and they've had to clean up the mess of the last writing team, but it's improving every day.

Oh yeah the ever changing writing team drama.... Some of those writing teams are quite the doozy. And there effects can last for months of daily eps if not years! I haven't watched enough of it in recent years to determine how the writing is these days. I just really loved EJ & Sami, so for me it's a lack of investment in the current characters. I knew Sami since she was a young adult switching paternity tests. And I fell in love with EJ on first sight. They still have characters I enjoy, but the majority of the core characters (not just EJ & Sami) I tuned in for are either "dead" or living happily ever after outside of Salem. It was nice to see some old faces returning.

Any Once Upon a Time people still out there? Because did the writers totally forget about Killian's back story about being a Capt (or at least high rank) in the Royal Navy? It's been awhile but I remember an episode with him in a red coat and a brother.... not the

child left on boat by bad father

I realize that the details are not every showrunners goal, but it seems like that was a big seismic shift just to do the

bad parent, abandonment

, revenge plot line...

Rumple is still an ass though. No spoiler tag will probably ever be needed for that statement.

Hey March looks good, despite my reservations... I'm thankful for the break.

Edited by kismet

Ha! I do watch Days of Our Lives, but I was actually referring to Jack/Carly from As The World Turns.  I'd like to say faking a terminal brain tumor is the worst thing those two ever did to each other, but nope. LOL. Basically, I have a very high tolerance for nonsensical bullshit when it comes to my ships because when they're good, they're so good. It makes it too easy to forget the really bad crap they do. :)

• Love 1

I've never seen Titanic actually. I never had anything desire to watch it and now it's a ridiculous perverse goal of mine to never see it.

I only ever watched the first half, never finished it (literally walked out of the theater in the middle of it), have no desire finish watching it.

Any Once Upon a Time people still out there? Because did the writers totally forget about Killian's back story about being a Capt (or at least high rank) in the Royal Navy? It's been awhile but I remember an episode with him in a red coat and a brother.... not the

child left on boat by bad father

I realize that the details are not every showrunners goal, but it seems like that was a big seismic shift just to do the

bad parent, abandonment

, revenge plot line...

Rumple is still an ass though. No spoiler tag will probably ever be needed for that statement.

Hey March looks good, despite my reservations... I'm thankful for the break.

I quit a few weeks ago.

but I am flying home for winter break so I have two 10.5 hours flight (to and from) in my near future, I am planning on using it to catch up on some shows. I just need to figure out how to watch them while in the air with (probably) no wifi.

• Love 1

Re: OuaT:  The bad daddy issue has been there for the past two seasons.  I vaguely remember conversations with Killian and his older brother Liam about Liam having to help raise him because their father either wasn't around which is why it was so hearbreaking to lose Liam the First who was Hook's captain on the Royal Navy ship.  That's when Hook turned into a pirate.

I'm glad Rumple is back to being the villain again.  Robert Carlyle knows it's for the good of the show, unlike Lana Patrilla who likes Regina to be redeemed over and over again.

Re: OuaT:  The bad daddy issue has been there for the past two seasons.  I vaguely remember conversations with Killian and his older brother Liam about Liam having to help raise him because their father either wasn't around which is why it was so hearbreaking to lose Liam the First who was Hook's captain on the Royal Navy ship.  That's when Hook turned into a pirate.

I'm glad Rumple is back to being the villain again.  Robert Carlyle knows it's for the good of the show, unlike Lana Patrilla who likes Regina to be redeemed over and over again.

Thanks, I knew he had Daddy issues for years. But this episode made it seem like he got abandoned on a pirate ship and that is why he turned out the way he did. But its OUAT so I should stop trying to dig to close the third rails of accurate storytelling.

I'm glad about Rumple too... I just am tired of the act that he is good and reformed, but really bad and hiding it. I like him proud and vocal to be a villain in show. I actually like Regina redeemed, but I just want her to stay that way and for them to stop reminding us every week that she used to be bad.

I quit OUAT last year after the ridiculous Frozen arc... I was just bored with everything on that show. I also quit The Good Wife as well because the story was boring as hell. Considering what I'm hearing about both these shows, I'm glad I quit both of them. 

I've never seen Titanic actually. I never had anything desire to watch it and now it's a ridiculous perverse goal of mine to never see it.

I had zero interest in seeing the movie - don't see the point of going to see anything with a guaranteed unhappy ending but I submitted to peer pressure and went along with the group that just had to see it.  If you are ever forced to see it, it's not actually a bad movie at all but if you are not willing to let the movie drag your emotions around, it is kind of pointless. 

I wept at all the right places and probably would still cry at a couple (Land of Nod anyone?)  but I'd also put a warning label on it.  My BFF went into a serious 'what's the point of even living spiral?' for about five minutes on the car ride home until I yelled at her to snap out of it - which she then did - I swear she really didn't have deep underlying depression or anything, it's just something in that movie was a trigger for her. 

Some ten years later when her teenage daughter wanted to see it, we watched it again and the exact same thing happened.  She's been banned from watching that movie since.   

So I guess I'm saying skipping it might not be that bad a thing. 

Same here. And Avatar also.

Honestly, if it isn't in the original in theater 3-D, don't bother.  The 3-D was amazing - even if you were just walking into a cafeteria.  Otherwise go watch Fern Gully. 

There are some good sequences and visuals but even in the middle of the movie I was more excited about the potential that movie could mean to certain fantasy novels I'd love to see come to the big screen.  (Any Anne McCaffrey fans on the boards?)

I quit OUAT last year after the ridiculous Frozen arc... I was just bored with everything on that show. I also quit The Good Wife as well because the story was boring as hell. Considering what I'm hearing about both these shows, I'm glad I quit both of them. 

OUAT is ridiculous and I can only tolerate it when in the right mood.  The Good Wife this year though has been far more entertaining then last year IMO. 

• Love 2

For a present years ago my Dad got me the 2 tape VCR set of Titanic... to this day I wonder who would ever bother to watch the second video? It is a real downer storywise. My friend forced me to do to the 3D/IMAX of it which was an absolute waste of money. Midway through I turned to her and asked... did we seriously sign up to watch all these people die again only in 3D? She was like, yep - not the smartest decision. Popcorn was amazing though.

Avatar was a simplistic story, but the visuals were good and I was oddly moved by large blue aliens. Wish I had been able to see it in 3D as opposed to DVD, people keep on raving about it.

Just saw another promo for Galavant.... Is anyone else looking forward to the cheesy extravaganza? I'm pretty stoked for it.