Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Aargh, I envy you.  I just got back in and it's a beautiful cloudy and now foggy sky.  Talked to some people who waited out the whole time and they said the best they saw was a sliver of eclipse.

Could someone answer a question about Limitless for me? If it's just a matter of taking a pill and becoming a super genius why do they need this guy in the FBI? Why can't anyone take the pill?

At least with Chuck, there was a reason why he had to be the one.

I watched Quantico and thought it seemed to be a fairly decent B level program.

• Love 1

Could someone answer a question about Limitless for me? If it's just a matter of taking a pill and becoming a super genius why do they need this guy in the FBI? Why can't anyone take the pill?

The drug has terribad side effects. The main dude was the only one innoculated against the side effects, thanks to Bradley Cooper and his terrible hair.

• Love 1

I watched Quantico and thought it seemed to be a fairly decent B level program.

I was pleasantly surprised.  It reminded me of a mix of Alias with all the they aren't who you think they are and How to Get Away With Murder with the show operating both in the past and the present and of course the student angle.  Did not see the ending with the van coming.

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

I thought Quantico was the right kind of terrible. It looks like they frankensteined both a plot and a format out of 5-6 other shows, but I'm in for the ride. It's gonna be my new REVENGE!!!, though I truly hope it doesn't go the wrong kind of terrible, like REVENGE!!! did.

• Love 2

Watching Bollywood movies, I've loved Priyanka Chopra for so long that it's interesting to see her cross over to Hollywood television... Objectively, what did you guys think of her performance?

Edited by wonderwall

I haven't learned names yet but I'm going to go out on a limb and assume she was the lead cadet on Quantico? So far my impressions: gorgeous and as a female, I don't usually comment on the looks of most women; beyond that I thought she brought to her character a kind over confident, brash and yet not unlikable charm; she had a small scene with Cougar Town (again, I haven't learned names and the actor had been on Cougar Town- funny, I liked him then and wanted to smash his smug face in here) where she talks about finding out the truth about her father that I thought showed a nice quiet vulnerability and I saw that same vulnerability later only not so quiet when she realized the "misunderstanding" that what happening to her.

So far she seems like she can pull off the role, lol. I guess when I think about it, my overall impression of the show was I liked a lot of the actors. The blond huntress, the female assistant director, the gay virgin, both of the two that washed out and what is with the twins thing??!

Yeah, it kept my attention and has the urgent mystery angle built in, but at the same time so far it's far less overwrought than HOw to Get Away With Murder.

Another show that I thought I'd hate but ended up enjoying on something around a B level too was The Player. Maybe more of a B minus level since I think Quantico has the potential to be far more clever but the Player was fast paced and didn't bore me even if it was mostly forgettable when I was done. Not appointment TV, never but if you like a mini action movie each week fighting the bad guys and racing around in pretty cars, then there are worse ways to pass the time.

Edited by BkWurm1

Quantico was one of the new fall network shows that I was actually looking fwd to. And I don't think it disappointed. It's not groundbreaking or extremely original, but it looks like it is going to a good ride. I found all the actors were able to perform their roles well. Everyone seemed believable as to what they were supposed to be portraying. I love the fact that they are working backwards from the bombing with the time jumps. I hope they don't disappoint me and never get around to solving the mystery of who is framing her. I hope they give the audience more hints than Chopra's character, so that we can be ahead of her or perhaps false leads to the audience so we fall a little behind. But so far, I enjoy the premise of the show, the proposed story arc and the characters, and that is more than I can say for some new & returning shows.

A couple of cliche but still surprising twists were the twins, the van & the real circumstances of Chopra's character's father's death. (Really should try to learn the names). I also was surprised they lost one of the recruits in such a big way so soon in the series, feel bad for that actor. It's a spy filled soapsy drama and I can dig that. It does feel like it might be my new Revenge. It's also fun to watch a show where you really don't know who the bad guys and who the good guys are, and every week hopefully we'll find out more.

Kept the tv on between OUAT (which was good so far) & Quantico, so I caught Blood & Oil, that show is absolutely horrible - its not even entertaining as background noise. It's got to be one of the most poorly acted and written drama that I have seen in a long time.

• Love 1

Thanks for taking the hit for Blood and Oil. It looked bad and now I'll feel free to skip it altogether.

The lack of my remote control being close by and having a bout of the lazies, should really get most of the credit. :) But yeah, that show is a hard pass moving forward for me. I think it was Eonline's roundtables that predicted that would be the first show axed, I can totally see that happening and would be okay with that decision.

• Love 1

Quantico is my favorite new show this season, I think.  I'm kinda worried that they're going to turn Priyanka Chopra's character into an Annie Walker level special snowflake, though.  They seemed to try too hard with the character at times, so I hope we're not going the route where she's always the most clever one in the room...I want her to be human and make mistakes.    I'm definitely preferring the training stuff at Quantico to the present day story.

Watched The Player, thought it was terrible.  Don't like Wesley Snipes, and Charity Wakefield played a really obnoxious Marianne Dashwood in the Dan Stevens version of Sense and Sensiblity, so I irrationally dislike her now.  I liked someone's suggestion in The Blindspot forum: switch The Player's Philip Winchester with the FBI guy on Blindspot.  Make it happen, NBC.   

Edited by SonofaBiscuit
  • Love 2

The premise for The Player is absurd but I liked the lead actor. It is iffy if that will be enough to get it an audience so I'd be happy if he showed up on Blindspot and the other guy got chased by the cancelation bear instead. ;)

• Love 1

Quantico is my favorite new show this season, I think.  I'm kinda worried that they're going to turn Priyanka Chopra's character into an Annie Walker level special snowflake, though.  They seemed to try too hard with the character at times, so I hope we're not going the route where she's always the most clever one in the room...I want her to be human and make mistakes.    I'm definitely preferring the training stuff at Quantico to the present day story.

I can see your concerns about the Annie Walker snowflaking. But I feel if they emulate earlier Covert Affairs, it will be fine. It also helps that she is FBI & not CIA, there is less snowflaking options when your major job is analyzing intel, not necessarily gathering it in covert ways. I do think they might be focusing more on the training stuff. Especially in the preview when they said

the framing happened the first day, I walked into Quantico.

, I think a lot of their bread & butter seasons will be coming from the Quantico scenes and not the present day, which I think is a better angle for the show to take. But this show is definitely on my must-watch list.

• Love 1

Charity Wakefield played a really obnoxious Marianne Dashwood in the Dan Stevens version of Sense and Sensiblity, so I irrationally dislike her now. 

Oh, yay, it's not just me. I spent that version going, wait, I'm supposed to at least slightly like Marianne, right? Right? 

• Love 1

I thought that Priyanka Chopra did a decent job with Alex.  The role didn't require a lot of nuanced acting at this point and I think she's better than Piper Perabo was.  The show had some good things (a couple of the characters) and some awful ones (cutting so many of them didn't make sense because they could be cutting someone who would turn out to be better than one they kept; finding out a classmate's secret because aren't you supposed to build cohesion rather than hate?) but overall it was entertaining enough.

Someone else said the show was what would happen if Grey's Anatomy and How To Get Away With Murder had a child.  True but as long as it's enjoyable, I'll stick with it.

I stayed watching after OUaT (which was much better than I expected) and caught the first couple of minutes of Blood and Oil. That's all I could take so thanks, kismet, for confirming my impressions.

• Love 1

Another show that I thought I'd hate but ended up enjoying on something around a B level too was The Player. Maybe more of a B minus level since I think Quantico has the potential to be far more clever but the Player was fast paced and didn't bore me even if it was mostly forgettable when I was done. Not appointment TV, never but if you like a mini action movie each week fighting the bad guys and racing around in pretty cars, then there are worse ways to pass the time.

I groaned over what happened to his wife/ex-wife. Like, really? Ugh! But then that scene was followed very quickly by Philip Winchester in nothing but boxer shorts running around with a gun :P It's so weird watching PW and SS on separate shows. Blind Spot has a much better chance of staying on the air, I think (DVR gains were apparently nothing to sneeze at), but yeah, I don't mind enjoying the over-the-top silliness of The Player while it's on.

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 2

So just saw that the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers is in its 22nd season & celebrating 800 episodes! I know that it is just a children's program and it helps that every some many years they get a new audience to replace the audience that has outgrown them - but still that is an impressive accomplishment. I remember my little sister being really into it, so I watched it for a year with her while I was babysitting and it was a lot of fun (even though it is cheesy as anything). But I never thought it would still be around over 20 years later. At this point the show can legally purchase alcohol and would have likely been graduating from College soon, that's just crazy to think about!

They are also attempting to make another Power Rangers Movie. I watched the original Power Rangers, never watched anything past it and was surprised to hear a few years ago that it was still on. 

The Japanese Power Rangers have their hairstyle on the helmet. 

AkibarangerFullteam.jpg

Edited by Sakura12

I could never get int Power Rangers. I was loyal to Voltron. :D

Oh Lord, seriously?!?! I didn't even notice that, too distracted by the boxer shorts. LOL on the "psych! fridging" ... still doesn't excuse it.

Ah, but she's not really dead so he can make the fridging jokes right? How she's not dead I have no idea but that seemed to me the message they were sending at the end after his trip to the morgue. Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 3

My older brother loved Voltron! I inherited his glow in the dark Voltron shirt and I was so excited! But by the time I was in the right childhood stage to enjoy the show Voltron was off the air :( And Power Rangers didn't come on until I was out of the target age range. My childhood was in that unlucky TV blackhole that had no major Hero fighting machine made of bots or individual objects combining to be one :( Well I guess we had Transformers, but that was different.

We did get some quality cartoons though, so I can't really complain about my childhood programming. But the fact that Voltron vanished so quickly, and Power Rangers is still on the air 2 decades later is another reason its rather surprising.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1

Gotham has really gotten much better. I'm enjoying Jerome whether he's the Joker or Noker. He's added some life to the show. These villains are a real threat and have done some horrific things to the city. Gotham really does need a hero. 

I barely even missed Orphan Black between seasons two and three, since I thought the second season was a mess. Now I'm actually watching season three and having a blast, and I know I'll be waiting for season four impatiently because of how much fun I'm having. Helena's one of the few characters I can remember really changing my opinion about. I hated her initially, and not in a fun 'love to hate' way. I literally groaned when she popped up alive at the beginning of season two, but by the end of the season she was probably my favourite character on the show. She's so funny. They've done some good stuff with Delphine in season three, too. I always liked her but she's shot up my favourites list this season. They've put her in a really difficult situation and seeing Delphine jab her thumb in Rachel's eye socket was a shock. 

It did take me a while to get into season three because the male clones were a bit difficult for me to tell apart at first.  When I was finally able to recognise which one was which I realised I never liked any of them anyway. 

• Love 1

It did take me a while to get into season three because the male clones were a bit difficult for me to tell apart at first.  When I was finally able to recognise which one was which I realised I never liked any of them anyway. 

Yeah, the guy clones didn't work for me other than OG Mark. But I'll take all the guy clones since it got me Krystal who I fell in love with at the first sight of her manicured nails. I shouldn't be surprised that TM does such an amazing job of making each clone unique, but it still happens every time a new one pops up.

• Love 2

The male clones were disappointing, but I suppose anyone trying to compete with Tatiana Maslany is going to have a hard time. That woman is unbelievable with what she can do with her characters. Krystal had a couple of scenes and she stood out more than any of the boy clones. That show would be nothing without her. She's the perfect example of an actor rising above the writing.  

Just finished the second ep of Blindspot and if they reveal Jane Doe's real name in ep 3, I'll probably keep watching the show for not drawing out a reveal. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

So apparently that Blind Item from a few months ago about a couple splitting up turned out to be

Castle after all. I'd pretty much decided it wasn't going to be, but now I'm not sure if I even want to watch this season. :/

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1

I think in season 3, Helena ended up being my favorite clone.  "You threatened babies. You should not have threatened babies."  I love her.

I just want to take the new EPs of Castle and smash their heads together for thinking that

splitting up Castle and Beckett

was the way to get us more excited about the show.  Instead, Beckett just lost about 40 IQ points for me.

Normally when I say, thanks for spoiling me, I'm being sarcastic, but I just had a feeling about Castle.  Haven't watched yet and I think I'll let a few episodes pile up before I do watch.  Maybe more episodes will make it work out better for me.  Right now I'm not certain I feel like bothering at all with the show. 

Orphan Black is good. Tatiana Maslany is AMAZING!! So excited she finally got her emmy nomination! That best actress category was powerhouse category- all of them deserved to win. So glad Viola Davis took home the victory though because that was a historical moment a long time coming.

The male clones just didn't work for me this past season. 

And I'm still heartbroken over Paul.

I liked the mythology a little tighter and I felt like they tried to make it too big & yet too interconnected if that makes any sense.

I think it was a little much that it was S's mom.

But totally looking fwd to what crazy things they have in store for s4.

Not surprised about Castle. Had a gut feeling.

And that blind item had Castle written all over it, esp with the contract negotiations going to the wire & a new showrunner.

. Missed tonight's episode d/t work, but will catch up with it. The premiere was not really a typical Castle show, so I wonder what the rest of the season has in store, esp in light of the spoiler above.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1

I think I'm alone in this, but I'm not enjoying Gotham's Jerome.  At all.  I get so much second-hand embarrassment from watching the kid playing him.  Unfortunately for me, it looks like he's going to get a lot of screen time this season.  Bleh.

Glad I stopped watching Castle quite a while ago because I probably would have rage-quit this season anyways.

Liked Orphan Black season 3, but I was sad about

Paul. He was so pretty!

Edited by SonofaBiscuit

Jerome reminds me of the animated Joker from the Justice League series, he's over the top and wondering why they aren't just killing everyone. That's why I'm enjoying him. He's not trying to be the movie Jokers since we their universe aren't connected. 

• Love 1

Jerome reminds me of the animated Joker from the Justice League series, he's over the top and wondering why they aren't just killing everyone. That's why I'm enjoying him. He's not trying to be the movie Jokers since we their universe aren't connected. 

I'm getting a Mark Hamill Joker vibe from Jerome and I'm loving it.  Ledger's joker was perfect for The Dark Knight/Nolanverse version but I still hold Hamill's Joker as THE Joker.

• Love 1
Liked Orphan Black season 3, but I was sad about

Paul. He was so pretty!

Agree! I'm pissed that Heroes Reborn snatched up Dylan Bruce. Since that show is not as many episodes as ARROW. I was really hoping we could get him back for more eye-candy on ARROW.

Well if anybody wants to rewatch Quantico it is reairing on ABC tonight @ 10p.

I'm sorta pissed about the TUES schedule in general though, because I was looking forward to Fox's The GRINDER with Rob Lowe (who is li-te-ra-lly amazing at everything) and Fred Savage (who is wonderful as well). Which I thought it was going to be on at 9p, right after FLASH so I could watch both live. But instead FOX put Scream Queens there:( So now i have to decide which show I want to watch live FLASH or The Grinder next week. Since the Grinder is at 830 & Flash is at 8p. I just hate when shows I like overlap. Guess tonight might tell me more since The Grinder will finally premiere.

Apparently, John Stamos & Rob Lowe say lit-er-al-ly the same way. Who knew?

Watched both Granfathered & The Grinder tonight. They were fun and charming. Stamos, Lowe & Savage all had more than enough charisma to carry some of the weaker portions of the scripts. I did feel old seeing Uncle Jesse as a grandfather and Fred Savage with a manly deep voice. And I swear whatever fountain Rob Lowe is drinking from they should bottle that stuff up and sell it - that man barely ages, ever.

Watched Minority Report.  Caught up on both episodes.  The show really isn't terrible at all, just maybe not special enough to pay for the special effects budget?  It's basically a procedural set in the future with a dude that gets partial visions of future murders and the cop that is working in secret with him to catch the bad guy in the act and hopefully save the victim.  I like the world building and the back story is a easy to pick up on and the cast all seems well cast. 

Given the ratings, I assumed it must be awful but it's better than a lot shows that I've seen survive for multiple seasons. 

FYI, spoiler alert (not really) sexism is alive and well in 2085

Just watched The Player. Is it bad that I enjoyed that far more than Blindspot? I know the premise is ridiculous, but as an action show it completely delivered. It has a FAR better leading man, and I felt like the main characters were more clearly defined than in Blindspot. In Blindspot, other than Jane and Weller and their boss, I had a hard time getting a feel for any of the other characters milling around in the background. And The Player's mystery (what happened to his wife?) has me far more intrigued than the mystery of Jane's tattoos.

I feel like I'm watching TV wrong. :(

the Player was fast paced and didn't bore me even if it was mostly forgettable when I was done. Not appointment TV, never but if you like a mini action movie each week fighting the bad guys and racing around in pretty cars, then there are worse ways to pass the time.Q

Yeah, I liked that it never really slowed down. And I really liked all the characters, which surprised me. I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes, although I don't expect it to last long. The ratings were not great.

Just finished the second ep of Blindspot and if they reveal Jane Doe's real name in ep 3, I'll probably keep watching the show for not drawing out a reveal.

I just finished watching the second episode, and I agree. I'll be very impressed if they reveal that that quickly.

Watching The Player and Blindspot back to back did help me pinpoint some other reasons why I preferred The Player. I did like the second episode of Blindspot quite a bit better than the first, but The Player has a very straightforward narrative and shooting style. Plus the color is brighter. Blindspot is shot in what feels like washed out greys, and it's constantly jumping back and forth, between characters, between memories and the present...it just feels like it's constantly jumping around. And they've got some weird shooting styles going on, weird closeups, etc.

But I did feel like I was getting a better sense of the characters, and I liked Weller better, though the way he talks is still giving me Steve McGarrett deja vu. And yeah, this new connection between Weller and Jane has me more intrigued than I was before.

/rambling that no one cares about, lol

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1