Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

1 minute ago, statsgirl said:

Probably yes. Sadly.

You have to pay for plastic bags here, five cents a bag, so I use cloth ones for shopping.  Then you have to buy a roll of them separately for the dog poop.

And we'll probably hang out with people who agree with us thereby cementing the crazy!

I've been telling my son: When mummy is old and crazy and calls you names remember I loved you once and took you to the park every day after school.

Son: I will always love you mummy but I'm hoping you won't be crazy.

Me: Me too kiddo. This is just in case I do turn crazy.

• Love 3

Ooh I have an important question to those of you from the US.

Do you ever called shrimps prawns?

Now I always thought that what you called shrimp we call prawns.

BUT

On one of the latest episodes of Beat Bobby Flay they kept calling prawns PRAWNS which kinda threw me for a loop because all the American cooking shows I watch have always called prawns "shrimp".

So do you call it prawns or shrimp?

(edited)

Really big shrimp seems to sometimes but not always get called prawns but most of us know it's just a fancied up name for shrimp.  Like how Cornish Game Hens often really just means a young chicken or a poussin rather than some other bird species that comes in a smaller size.  

It wouldn't shock me if Bobby Flay called them prawns just because he's a bit on the pretentious side.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Is Meatloaf any good?

I keep seeing it on America's Test Kitchen and I'm kinda tempted but then I think I could just make meatballs instead.

Am I missing out?

I like meatloaf, there's a ton of ways to do it so you can play around with different recipes to find one you like.

• Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Is Meatloaf any good?

I keep seeing it on America's Test Kitchen and I'm kinda tempted but then I think I could just make meatballs instead.

Am I missing out?

The name sounds kind of gross, but it is good. As @Morrigan2575 said there are tons of different ways to make it. My mom pretty much tried it every way, she likes making Turkey and Veggie meatloaf now. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1
On 3/2/2018 at 12:26 AM, Mellowyellow said:

So do you call it prawns or shrimp?

In Maryland/DC we take our seafood very seriously,  and there is a difference between the two.   If I order prawns at a crab house I'll absolutely know if they send me shrimp.   They are the same species to an extent but shrimp are from salt water, while prawns are from fresh/ brackish water.   Prawns are also sweeter in taste. 

http://www.foodandwine.com/seafood/shellfish/whats-difference-between-shrimp-and-prawns

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Is Meatloaf any good?

Am I missing out?

MEATLOAF is the best.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Delphi said:

In Maryland/DC we take our seafood very seriously,  and there is a difference between the two.   If I order prawns at a crab house I'll absolutely know if they send me shrimp.   They are the same species to an extent but shrimp are from salt water, while prawns are from fresh/ brackish water.   Prawns are also sweeter in taste. 

http://www.foodandwine.com/seafood/shellfish/whats-difference-between-shrimp-and-prawns

Is that the difference? Wow, I always just thought it was different names for the same thing.

22 hours ago, catrox14 said:

MEATLOAF is the best.

Unless it's the worst, lol.  Sometimes it's a roll of the dice.  But blame that more on the cook than the concept.  

19 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Is that the difference? Wow, I always just thought it was different names for the same thing.

It is interesting that there is technically a difference, but I'm still willing to bet outside of seafood experts and maybe distributors, there are plenty of technical shrimp called prawns just to seemingly elevate the spread offered. That's been a running joke for decades. 

7 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Unless it's the worst, lol.  Sometimes it's a roll of the dice.  But blame that more on the cook than the concept.  

Yes, it's all about the specifics of the recipe and the cook.

(edited)

Sounds like Valor's being cancelled...

‘Valor’s Matt Barr To Star In the CW Pilot ‘Skinny Dip'
By Nellie Andreeva •  February 28, 2018 4:05pm
http://deadline.com/2018/02/skinny-dip-matt-barr-star-the-cw-pilot-valor-1202306277/

EXCLUSIVE: Matt Barr, the male lead of the CW/CBS TV Studios military drama Valor, has been tapped as a star of another the CW/CBS TV Studios project, drama pilot Skinny Dip, from writers Russel Friend and Garrett Lerner and Keshet Studios.

Written by Russel Friend and Garrett Lerner based on the novel by Carl Hiaasen and directed by Marc Buckland, Skinny Dip centers on Joey, who, after her husband tries to kill her on what she thought was a romantic cruise to celebrate their second wedding anniversary, teams with a jaded ex-cop to exact her own twisted brand of revenge on her cheating spouse and winds up uncovering a wider conspiracy in the process.

Barr’s Mick is an old soul, unplugged from society, skeptical of the world and cynical beyond his years. A former police detective who was removed from the force, he lives alone on a desert island with a nice dog named Irma — and he’s happy to be off the grid. After finding Joey floating in the ocean, he nurses her back to health and reluctantly agrees to help her in her quest for answers.
Barr most recently played Captain Leland Gallo on the CW’s freshman series Valor. While it has not been officially canceled, the military drama did not get a back order and is not expected to be renewed for a second season. Supporting that prospect is the fact that Barr has been cast in a pilot from the same network and studios. His Valor co-star, Christina Ochoa, also booked a pilot, ABC’s A Million Little Things. 

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

For those of you who miss Glee, we now have Rise...

Rise - Episode 1.01 - Pilot - Promo, Promotional Photos + Press Release
Posted by SpoilerTV at March 05, 2018
https://www.spoilertv.com/2018/01/rise-episode-101-pilot-promotional.html

"RISE"
"PILOT"

03/13/2018 (10:01PM - 11:00PM) (Tuesday) : Lou Mazzuchelli (Josh Radnor), an uninspired English teacher at Stanton High, petitions to take over as director of the school's theater program in an attempt to revitalize his passion for teaching, but quickly realizes he has his work cut out for him. His controversial decision to change the musical to the more provocative Spring Awakening and his atypical casting choices create a ripple effect for the program's assistant director Tracey Wolfe (Rosie Perez), the school's football coach Sam Strickland (Joe Tippett), and the students in the show. Also starring Auli'i Cravalho, Damon J. Gillespie, Marley Shelton, Rarmian Newton, Ted Sutherland, Amy Forsyth, Casey W. Johnson, Taylor Richardson and Shirley Rumierk.

SOURCE: NBC

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

The third and final sister has been cast in the new Charmed - in contrast to her petite "siblings", Madeleine Mantock is 5'8" (she was also born in 1990, which puts her in her late 20's)...

‘Charmed’: Madeleine Mantock To Star In The CW Reboot Pilot
by Nellie Andreeva • March 5, 2018 2:00pm
http://deadline.com/2018/03/madeleine-mantock-star-charmed-the-cw-reboot-pilot-1202311849/

Into the Badlands alumna Madeleine Mantock has been cast as the lead sister opposite Melonie Diaz and Sarah Jeffery in the CW’s dramedy pilot Charmed, from Jane the Virgin creator-showrunner Jennie Snyder Urman and CBS TV Studios.
Mantock’s Macy is a practical, driven, and brilliant geneticist who has her world blown open when she discovers that the supernatural world is all too real.
This marks British actress Mantock’s return to the CW where she previously co-starred on the series The Tomorrow People. 

shutterstock_7946109cw.jpg?crop=0px,657p 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

FYI...

Vampire Diaries star Michael Trevino joins Roswell reboot
SAMANTHA HIGHFILL March 06, 2018 AT 02:01 PM EST
http://ew.com/tv/2018/03/06/roswell-reboot-michael-trevino/

EW has confirmed that Vampire Diaries star Michael Trevino has joined the cast of the CW’s upcoming Roswell reboot. The reboot, which comes from The Originals team of Carina Adly MacKenzie and Julie Plec, is based on the Roswell High book series by Melinda Metz and follows Liz, the daughter of undocumented immigrants who returns to her hometown of Roswell, New Mexico. There, she discovers a secret about Max, her teenage crush. (Hint: He’s an alien.) Jeanine Mason has been cast in the role of Liz, with Originals star Nathan Parsons on board to play Max.

As for Trevino, he will play Kyle Valenti — played by Nick Wechsler in the original series — the son of the town sheriff. Trevino joins a cast that includes Pretty Little Liars star Tyler Blackburn as Sgt. Alex Manes, Lily Cowles as Isobel, Michael Vlamis as Michael, and Heather Hemmens as Maria.

Edited by tv echo
2 hours ago, Delphi said:

I'm so glad Jessica Jones is back.   I haven't even bothered with last week's arrow.   Should I power through it tomorrow or just skip to doppelganger?

Depends on how busy you are! Don't actually make time to watch it but say if you had to be on the treadmill for hours or you had chores you can do while having it on then watch it while you are doing other stuff. 

• Love 1

I've been watching the promos and interviews for A Wrinkle in Time and I'm dreading it. I like the girl who plays Meg but the teen who plays Calvin doesn't look like he's 16 and I haven't been impressed by the boy who plays Charles Wallace although maybe he's better on screen. But chiefly it's all the glitter around Mrs. Who, Mrs. Whatsit and Mrs. Which because in my mind they are drab and don't stand out instead of the extremely colourful characters in the promos.

I first heard John Lennon's Imagine around the time I first read A Wrinkle in Time and I can never hear that song now without thinking of Camazotz, the planet controlled by IT where everyone behaves exactly the same way at the same time, no differences.

On 3/8/2018 at 2:28 AM, Mellowyellow said:

Anyone seen The Resident and can tell me if it's decent?

I like Matt Czuchry and EMily VanCamp but I'm not a huge fan of medical dramas in my old age.

I was excited for it because of those actors and Bruce Greenwood but I checked out midway through the first episode because the logic seemed too stupid for me.  People on the forum really like it so I may give it another look.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Delphi said:

I'm so glad Jessica Jones is back.   I haven't even bothered with last week's arrow.   Should I power through it tomorrow or just skip to doppelganger?

I kind of enjoyed it in a rage-inducing way.  Plus Felicity was fierce.  I will say watching Collision Course will make the tone of Doppelganger feel really odd, so if you wanted to, watch Doppelganger and catch up on Collision Course later.  We do have the two-week hiatus to fill.  

• Love 1
4 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I've been watching the promos and interviews for A Wrinkle in Time and I'm dreading it. I like the girl who plays Meg but the teen who plays Calvin doesn't look like he's 16 and I haven't been impressed by the boy who plays Charles Wallace although maybe he's better on screen. But chiefly it's all the glitter around Mrs. Who, Mrs. Whatsit and Mrs. Which because in my mind they are drab and don't stand out instead of the extremely colourful characters in the promos.

I first heard John Lennon's Imagine around the time I first read A Wrinkle in Time and I can never hear that song now without thinking of Camazotz, the planet controlled by IT where everyone behaves exactly the same way at the same time, no differences.

I was excited for it because of those actors and Bruce Greenwood but I checked out midway through the first episode because the logic seemed too stupid for me.  People on the forum really like it so I may give it another look.

I’m taking my niece tonight for her 8th Birthday. It’s all she wanted from me. I’ll let you know if it’s any good. She is really excited about seeing it. She read the book and loved it. 

• Love 1

@Statsgirl. My niece loved it. Thought Oprah was beautiful. Kept talking to me about the physics of it all. Physics at the moment is her fascination as well as the black hole. Anyway it was interesting. Chris Pine always does a fine job of crying. 

Only about 25 people at the 7 pm showing.

Edited by BunsenBurner
Added # of people.

Not too long ago there was a blind item about a drama having a character go through breast cancer and CW shows were on the list.  Not to surprisingly, Jane the Virgin claimed the storyline.  

I just binged S1 of Vultron: Legendary Defender. I remember a few people talking about it awhile back, I'm really enjoying it so far. I like the updates they made to characters and some of the storylines. 

I remember the 80s Vultron had Keith/Alura but with the remake they seem to be pairing Shiro/Alura (as far as emotional scenes/connections). I don't have a preference just thought it was interesting. They aren't doing much with the romance stuff anyway and, I'm kind of glad, the 80s version kind of hit you over the head with it.

Keith seems to be fit Epic Hero role, which has me worried for Shrio (as the mentor/call to service character....they always die (force ghost or Gandelf). So far Shiro is my favorite with Hunk being my Least Favorite (used to be Lance but, he's improved). There's potential for a Keith/Lance bromance and, I'm all over that.

I can't believe Walking Dead's Glenn is Keith and Arrow's Bex is Pidge. 

• Love 1

I think I was one of the ones talking about it.  I'm still enjoying it.  I watched the latest season last weekend.  I didn't watch the original so I can't compare it, but it's keeping me interested.  I just wish there was more episodes in a season.  They've started putting out six episode seasons so as to get the seasons out faster.  So you don't have to wait so long in between seasons, but the seasons are short.

• Love 1

TV PILOTS: CHARMED Reboot, A MILLION LITTLE THINGS Among 6 Network Pilots Filming in Vancouver This March
By Susan Gittins March 9, 2018  
http://hollywoodnorth.buzz/2018/03/tv-pilots-charmed-reboot-a-million-little-things-among-6-network-pilots-filming-in-vancouver-this-march-2.html

A Million Little Things (David Giuntoli, James Roday, Christina Ochoa)
Safe Harbor 
In Between Lives
Charmed
(Madeleine Mantock, Melonie Diaz, Sarah Jeffery)
Dead Inside
The End of the World as We Know It

Edited by tv echo
2 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

Hi there, I hope this is the right place to post this! I’m planning to start a first time watch of the Arrowverse tonight! And figured I’d just pop in and say hi to the regular posters on this board.

Hello and welcome.  Hope to hear your thoughts whatever they are.  

• Love 1

I need to vent! I ordered an emerald from a supposedly reputable dealer (not my usual) and now it's delayed in customs because they didn't provide the correct paperwork which they assured me they would and assured me they knew exactly what they were doing.

Aussie customs are some of the meanest in the world and they didn't even give them basic paperwork. I want my stone!!!!! *wails*

I have sent off a bunch of angry emails this morning but as it is night time in the U.S right now there is no one to respond to me! I will stay up at midnight tonight to make angry calls! I AM FURIOUS! My stones sitting around in customs make me anxious! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Love 2

Aussie customs are some of the meanest in the world and they didn't even give them basic paperwork. I want my stone!!!!! *wails*

That sounds so frustrating.  

Edited by BkWurm1
1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

That sounds so frustrating.  

Plot thickens! Now the vendor is emailing me telling me they only shipped the package TODAY from the US so there is no way it is in Australia.

Which means Fedex, the dumbasses, are trying to clear a package that hasn't arrived yet!

So I apologised profusely to the vendor for the raging email and told him I will go rage at Fedex. 

Just tracked again! It's in Memphis!!! No idea why Fedex told me it was stuck in customs Australia!!!!!!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

ETA: In the past Fedex have rung up my husband to ask him to pay tax on shipment that was 5% more than what we were supposed to pay!

Lucky I had him well trained with the standard response of "My wife will kill me if I pay you the wrong amount. Please call my wife if you want payment."

Ffing Fedex! 

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 2

‘Charmed’: Charlie Gillespie & Ellen Tamaki Join the CW Reboot Pilot
by Denise Petski  March 12, 2018 
http://deadline.com/2018/03/charmed-charlie-gillespie-ellen-tamaki-the-cw-reboot-pilot-1202336380/

Charlie Gillespie (One Day She’ll Darken) and newcomer Ellen Tamaki are set as series regulars opposite Sarah Jeffery, Madeleine Mantock, Melonie Diaz and Ser’Darius Blain in the CW’s dramedy pilot Charmed, from Jane the Virgin creator-showrunner Jennie Snyder Urman and CBS TV Studios.
Gillespie will play Brian, Madison’s (Jeffery) high school boyfriend who still carries a torch for her. Tamaki will portray Nico, a detective on the Hilltowne police force whose romantic relationship with one of the sisters complicates her investigation.

charlie-gillespie-ellen-tamaki.jpg?w=446

20 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Gillespie will play Brian, Madison’s (Jeffery) high school boyfriend who still carries a torch for her. Tamaki will portray Nico, a detective on the Hilltowne police force whose romantic relationship with one of the sisters complicates her investigation.

So they split Andy from the original Charmed into two characters? 

• Love 2
On 3/12/2018 at 5:35 PM, Wayward Son said:

Hi there, I hope this is the right place to post this! I’m planning to start a first time watch of the Arrowverse tonight! And figured I’d just pop in and say hi to the regular posters on this board.

Welcome! Are you starting from the very beginning or just jumping right in with Season 6? 

13 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Welcome! Are you starting from the very beginning or just jumping right in with Season 6? 

I’m starting at the very beginning. So far I’ve watched episodes 1-4 of season 1. I would imagine I’d be very confused if I tried to jump in without watching the previous seasons lol. I’m also planning to watch The Flash, Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow, so I might not be watching live until the start of next season. 

Edited by Wayward Son
37 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Aww!  Stephen Hawkin died.  :(

Such a bummer!  His brilliance will be missed. 

8 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

I’m starting at the very beginning. So far I’ve watched episodes 1-4 of season 1. I would imagine I’d be very confused if I tried to jump in without watching the previous seasons lol. I’m also planning to watch The Flash, Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow, so I might not be watching live until the start of next season. 

I'm not sure if you'll be watching chronologically,  but I'd totally be willing to do a rewatch of Arrow and Legends so feel free to post your thoughts in the respective threads,  I promise you won't be talking to dead air. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

Aww!  Stephen Hawkin died.  :(

That sucks :( . 

1 hour ago, Delphi said:

Such a bummer!  His brilliance will be missed. 

I'm not sure if you'll be watching chronologically,  but I'd totally be willing to do a rewatch of Arrow and Legends so feel free to post your thoughts in the respective threads,  I promise you won't be talking to dead air. 

I’m planning to watch Chronologically using this website https://www.alltimelines.com/dc-comics-multiverse-chronology/dc-comics-live-action-television/ as a guideline. I’ll definitely try and make sure to post any thoughts that come to mind as I’m watching :)

Question about the American health care system! So we were watching The Resident and it seems like you guys don't have much a free public health system going. Lol of course I am basing this off a TV show so I thought I'd actually ask someone who lives in in the US.

So say I have ZERO health insurance, nothing at all and not much money. If I get sick do they just leave me to die?

Say if I get something less lethal like kidney stones. Will they put me on a waitlist and remove my stones for free or do I live with my kidney stones until I drop dead?

What if I get stabbed? I assume (from watching TV) they will patch me up in the ER? Is this free?

What if I am about to have a baby? Do you offer me basic care and a doctor when I deliver at a hospital? Can I even go to the hospital or do I just squeeze the baby out at home and hope for the best?

Edited by Mellowyellow