Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

I can see Oliver brewing his own ... and coming up with creative ways to use it in cooking.

There are some good videos on how to brew your own, you can even buy your own SCOBY (symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast).  I think I'll try it first though and see if I like the taste.

• Love 1

I can see him convincing Felicity to drink it instead of soda. Just as fizzy he'll say and she'll scrunch her face up and reach for a soda. 

Then he'll bring it to Ray and they'll bond over how awesome it is and he gives Ray a scoby. Ray brews it but forgets to burp the bottles and they blow up giving Mick a fright during his visit. 

It's too fermented for me. Hehe I make my yoghurt with condensed milk to mask the yoghurt taste. 

Lol we've been calling it Scooby all this time!!!! I'll tell her?

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Shaun White wins Winter Games gold medal #100 for Team USA!  And I about had a damn stroke watching him do it. Totally worth it. 

Same. It was one of those "I don't know if I can watch but I also don't even want to blink because I don't want to miss a moment of it" runs.

• Love 2

I hate kombucha, and also hate valentines day, we think it's too manufactured.   But me and the boy defintely go around the half week after finding cheap candy for each other once its over.   We're saving to buy a house,  so not this year, butt also because we plan on buying a house and that's not cheap. 

Any advise for first time us buyers with no money or capital?  I'd love advice. 

14 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Sometimes sneaking vegetables is the only way to get kids to eat them. I remember thinking that grated zucchini in chocolate cake was so strange but then I found it tasted good.

A love story for Valentine's Day, Thomas, the blind,bisexual and polyamorous goose has died at the age of 40.

My first thought was, hey, next generation Disney feature? My second, wait, it seems like some key pieces are missing from the article. One, I don’t really get that Thomas was bisexual from the article itself. Henry, yes. But if Thomas was, there are steps missing here. Also, what did he do after Henry passed, just abandoned everyone? Not really cool, dude.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Sometimes sneaking vegetables is the only way to get kids to eat them. I remember thinking that grated zucchini in chocolate cake was so strange but then I found it tasted good.

I guess me and my siblings were the weird ones, we loved vegetables as kids, we always wanted a salad or roasted or stir fried veggies with whatever meal we were having. We even wanted carrot and cucumber sticks as a snack and I would eat tomatoes like apples. I know my sister was 7 she got strange looks from her friends parents when she wanted the steak and vegetables the adults were having over microwaved chicken nuggets or PB&J sandwiches her friends were having. That's probably why we rarely ever got sick growing up. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Delphi said:

I hate kombucha, and also hate valentines day, we think it's too manufactured.   But me and the boy defintely go around the half week after finding cheap candy for each other once its over.   We're saving to buy a house,  so not this year, butt also because we plan on buying a house and that's not cheap. 

Get pre-qualified for your loan because the US market in certain areas is heading back into mid-2000s territory. 

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, leopardprint said:

Get pre-qualified for your loan because the US market in certain areas is heading back into mid-2000s territory. 

I second that plus the realtors and sellers will take you more seriously if you are. Also make sure you have extra money for closing costs, you may be able to get the seller to cover some and if your lucky all of it. I would have the extra money just in case. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Delphi said:

Don't let you're realator or mortgage company talk you into an interest only loan. Basically the first 3-5 years you only pay towards the interest. It's a lower monthly payment which they use to try and convince you to buy a bigger house (spend more money). In the end you're not paying off any of the principle and in a few years your payment balloons up or you have to refinance which of course, costs more money in fees etc.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

A small house or fixer upper in a good area is better value than a bigger house in a sketchy area. Also be aware of how long your commute to work is going to be. Mine is an hour each way at best, up to two hours if it's bad and that's ten hours a week of pretty much wasted time. Some people here have a two hour commute each way.

I like houses I can fix up rather than ones that are finished and cost more because then I can do it as I like but that's not for everyone.

4 hours ago, bijoux said:

Also, what did he do after Henry passed, just abandoned everyone? Not really cool, dude.

Good question. He couldn't mate with Henrietta since he was a goose and she was a swan. Maybe she found another mate and he remained an honorary uncle.

I'd also price in a few interest rate rises and potential job loss. You want to be able to weather a few interest rate rises should they happen and you want enough funds to still pay the mortgage even if one of you suddenly lost your jobs. Sorry I'm a financial pessimist! 

Also do you want to have kids one day? Not sure how it works in the US but school zones are really important here and you want to be in the same zone as a good local school in case you decide to send them to public school. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, jaye.elle said:

Second this. Also, make sure you've got a safety net (mine was AUD $10 000) for the extra costs that sneak up. In my case it was air conditioning and rates before I moved in. *sigh*

Oh yeah, that's a good one. Within a month of closing on my place I had to have the furnace repaired.

CHUC MUNG NAM MOI EVERYONE!!!

Happy Lunar New Year!

May you all be happy, healthy and super wealthy in the year of the dog.

May we get loooooots of Felicity scenes, Olicity scenes, Delicity scenes and lots of Olicity "dessert" scenes!

There I put it out there in the universe now! 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

Happy Lunar New Year!

May we get loooooots of Felicity scenes, Olicity scenes, Delicity scenes and lots of Olicity "dessert" scenes!

Wishing you and yours good luck and good fortune, @Mellowyellow!

• Love 6
20 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

I'd also price in a few interest rate rises and potential job loss. You want to be able to weather a few interest rate rises should they happen and you want enough funds to still pay the mortgage even if one of you suddenly lost your jobs. Sorry I'm a financial pessimist! 

Me too!  Granted,  I actually did get laid off in November and was lucky enough that I'm so paranoid that I was completely prepared for it. 

Thanks for the advice everyone. 

• Love 1
On 2/15/2018 at 6:03 AM, Mellowyellow said:

Happy Lunar New Year!

Happy Lunar New Year from North America! (a day behind everyone else, haha)

My favorite thing about this particular year are all the cute dog images. 

2018-02-16.gif.93137e815224dbe725377a219a6b5b90.gif

• Love 3

FYI...

‘Roswell’ Reboot Pilot Casts Jeanine Mason as Lead
Ashley Boucher | Last Updated: February 16, 2018 @ 5:43 PM
https://www.thewrap.com/jeanine-mason-cast-as-lead-in-roswell-reboot/

“So You Think You Can Dance” winner and “Grey’s Anatomy” regular Jeanine Mason has been cast as the lead in The CW’s “Roswell” reboot, Warner Brothers said Friday.

The casting news comes shortly after The CW announced Julie Plec will direct the pilot. If the network picks up the series, Plec — who co-created “The Vampire Diaries” and “The Originals” — will stay on to executive produce.

The pilot will follow Liz Ortecho, a biomedical researcher and the daughter of undocumented immigrants, who returns to her touristy hometown of Roswell, New Mexico, where she discovers that her high school crush-turned-police officer is actually an alien who has been hiding his other-worldly abilities for years. She agrees to keep his secret and the two reconnect, but a violent attack stands to expose him and disrupt their growing love.
Carina Adly MacKenzie wrote the pilot, based on the “Roswell High” book series by Melinda Metz that also inspired the Jason Katims show that ran from 1999-2002 on The WB and UPN. Justin Falvey, Darryl Frank, Lawrence Bender and Kevin Kelly Brown will also executive produce alongside Plec. Brown was an executive producer on the original series.

Jeanine-Mason.png 

Edited by tv echo

Hello. I have a question that I just keep wondering about... Dear Canada, what in the sexy/hot heck is up with Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir? I know, I know. They're not together. They've been friends for 20 years, they're partners, their relationship is complicated but... are they sure they're really not a thing?!? That short program was super sexay and their Moulin Rouge free dance was steamy during the team event (they were almost literally figuratively sexing each other up on the ice). Lol. This two always make me wonder every Olympics and, actually, whenever I see any ice dancing routine of theirs. Haha... Man, Canadians and their crazy amazing chemistry with each other cause me so much confusion... @ Canada, explain?!?

• Love 7

Hehe I've seen stuff on the internet about "Platonic Canadians" that is hilarious.

VirtueMoir have Olicity chemistry on ice! Hopefully they can overcome the sketchy judging and win gold. 

I also like the super cheerful looking siblings! They are as cute as pie. So adorable. Totally my cup of tea. 

I stumbled across this video and thought it was interesting, esp. since David Rapaport once said that he originally envisioned casting Arrow as a TVD-type trio package with SA, KC and CD. The major difference, of course, is that, on TVD, Elena (ND) was cast first before the two brothers and that trio remained with the show until the end, while on Arrow, SA was cast first and he quickly became the solo focus of the show...

The Vampire Diaries Audition Videos

(90210Bronte)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

The "everything can be hidden in the sleeve" is the reason I wanted a master's academic gown because they have those awesome sleeves you can hide anything in.

Just don't treat open wounds with the hankies you keep in those sleeves! 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

THE JUDGES DID THEIR JOBS FOR ONCE!!!!

Virtue and Moir deserved the hell out of that gold, the French duo were lovely and MY SHIBBIES WON BRONZE!!!!!! 

I was so nervous for VirtueMoir because even though I thought they should've been a clinch for the gold, but then I heard all this shady stuff about some possible shady judging. I'm so glad it turned out as it should!

And I'm so happy for the Shib Sibs too!! I didn't know much about them before the Olympics, but I watched some of their Vlogs and they're such great kids and I LOVE that they won.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

I was so nervous for VirtueMoir because even though I thought they should've been a clinch for the gold, but then I heard all this shady stuff about some possible shady judging. I'm so glad it turned out as it should!

And I'm so happy for the Shib Sibs too!! I didn't know much about them before the Olympics, but I watched some of their Vlogs and they're such great kids and I LOVE that they won.

I know! I read those possible shady stuff going on bts, too, and was nervous because of how high the French couple got scored, even though I know I saw them mess up on the twizzles but I'm super thrilled about the ice dancing results. Those two adorable Shib sibs got the bronze! And Virtue/Moir put that original lift back in the program (I love the name that people have given it) and are taking home the gold!!! I've read that Virtue/Moir may be retiring and this will be their last skate at the Olympics so I'm a little disappointed that the ending kiss/love declarations in the middle of the ice as the crowd roared didn't happen like The Cutting Edge made me believe it would. But I'm still super happy for them. Good job, Canadians!

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, SleepDeprived said:

I'm a little disappointed that the ending kiss/love declarations in the middle of the ice as the crowd roared didn't happen like The Cutting Edge made me believe it would.

No, but we could imagine that's what happened, lol.

• Love 1

I haven't watched it yet (got to wait for Channel 7 to put it online) but I am thrilled that the adorably cute sibling pair won a medal! I was outraged they were 4th after the short program! Their twizzles are fabulous and the pair that came third were really boring and were nowhere even as good as the Italians I thought!

I agreed with 1 and 2 placement after the short program so am very happy it has all worked out! I keep reading stuff about shady judging so I was worried! 

• Love 1

The CBC ran a montage of previous years of Tessa and Scott after their win and so much cuteness when they were kids! (She was 8 and he was 10 when they were teamed up.) Then there was an interview with a teenage Scott who said that sometimes he thinks he doesn't have the strength to do it but he'll do it for Tessa.

The commentator, Kurt Browning, said that when they finished in 2010, Scott turned to Tessa and said "We didn't do it" and she replied "That's okay", and then he shouted "WE WON THE GOLD!"

They were on one of those reality shows a few years ago.  Scott was dating someone but Tessa said that she didn't want to date until she retired from ice dancing because  all her attention and energy went toward that.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 2

'Charmed' Enlists 'Fruitvale Station's' Melonie Diaz as One of Three Leading Ladies
FEBRUARY 20, 2018 12:00pm PT by Lesley Goldberg
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/charmed-enlists-fruitvale-stations-melonie-diaz-as-one-three-leading-ladies-1086600

Fruitvale Station breakout Melonie Diaz has landed one of the starring roles in the network's modern update of Charmed.

Described as a fierce, funny and feminist reboot of the original series, the drama centers on three sisters in a college town who discover they are witches. Between vanquishing supernatural demons, tearing down the patriarchy, and maintaining familial bonds, a witch's work is never done.

Diaz will play Mel, one of the three sisters, who is described as a passionate, outspoken activist who loses her way in the wake of family tragedy.
Jessica O'Toole and Amy Rardin (Jane the Virgin) penned the Charmed script with a story by Jennie Urman, with the trio exec producing the CBS Television Studios drama alongside Ben Silverman. Brad Silberling will direct the pilot.

Edited by tv echo
5 hours ago, WindofChange said:

Lol! I grew up on that stuff too, my mom is Indian so she'd watch her "tv serials" every day it was awful for me :p 

I love hindi movies though! They're completely different from the shows, the movies actually quite entertaining

I love the movies too. The movies have progressed with time. The shows not so much.  I didn't even know there was Hindi shows until about 3 years ago. I was surfing YT and found Geet there. I finished that show then moved on to IPKKND and then from there followed those actors to different shows but I couldn't handle it. The whole Sassu maa thing drives me insane. So, I understand why people like your mom would liked it. Shows are so conservative and are all about the adults yelling to a bad sound track and hundred shocked facial expressions. lol

In actual reboot news (meaning it's the same characters, different story). The cast for Netflix Sabrina series is somewhat impressive. I know Lucy Davis as Etta Candy in Wonder Woman, Miranda Otto from Homeland and Michelle Gomez as the Master in Doctor Who.  And Kiernan Shipka from Mad Men. 

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/netflix-sabrina-the-teenage-witch-series-aunt-zelda-miranda-otto-1202705766/

Kiernan Shipka as Sabrina Spellman

Lucy Davis as Hilda Spellman 

Miranda Otto as Zelda Spellman

Chance Perdomo as Ambrose

Michelle Gomez as Miss. Wardell / Madam Satan 

Jaz Sinclair as Rosalind Walker

Edited by Sakura12
15 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I know Lucy Davis from Wonder Woman (though I don't know that I would have recognized her name if @Sakura12 hadn't mentioned she was Etta Candy), and Michelle Gomez from Doctor Who.  I don't think I know any of the others though.

Ahh, i mis-read your post. I thought you were saying you only knew Miranda Otto (out of the list).

The cast is very British. Lol

Kiernan Shipka played Sally Draper on Mad Men and dealt with some adult storylines as a child actor so I'm looking forward to her as Sabrina. She's also 18 so an actual teenager playing a teenager.