Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, quarks said:

I really wish the headlines would make it more clear that the CW is ordering pilots, not necessarily ordering series. I have some very strong suspicions about what's up with that Roswell pilot, for instance - sure, that could get ordered to series if it ends up being any good, but as of right now, it looks more like a response to the ongoing Disney/Fox takeover/merger and less like a serious attempt to get Roswell back on air. 

CW surprised me by going for 9 pilots tbis season. Personally, I think Wayward Sisters should get a series order, good ratings, good reviews and, could pair up well with Supergirl, Riverdale, or SPN if they want a block.

The HS pilot from Berlanti sounds like it could be a good addition, pairing it with Riverdale or Black Lightning.

Also need to consider the CBS factor, they'll need at least 1 CBS series order next season.

I don't want Roswell or Charmed reboots but, the shit CadlyMack lulled on twitter (she's got way more ego then her miniscule body of work can support) makes me hate the Roswell reboot and hope it never gets out of the gate.

• Love 1

Would a reboot even work? The revivals get viewers because of nostalgia and fans wanting to see what happened to the characters on a show they loved years later. Roswell and Charmed are using the name to try to get the fans of the original shows to watch their show. When they could just make a new show about aliens and witches and just have people make comparisons Roswell and Charmed. 

30 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

CW surprised me by going for 9 pilots tbis season.

I'm not at all surprised. Yeah, a couple of timeslots are doing slightly better this season (thanks, Supernatural and Arrow), But in general, their overall numbers are down, and they'll need to replace at least two shows (The Originals and Valor) and possibly more - while still trying to move towards the year-round programming that they promised the CW affiliates a couple of years back.  

And with the exception of Riverdale, most of their recent choices have been huge flops. So trying to have a wider range of choices this year just makes sense.

46 minutes ago, Chaser said:

It has to be frustrating to be trying to get something going for a couple years, then someone totally unconnected pitchs a reboot and gets a pilot order.

Im annoyed for them.

A reboot "coincidentally" pitched just as Disney was moving forward to purchase/claim Fox Television Studio rights. Uh-huh. 

1 minute ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I'm not following the Disney/FOX merger relation to the reboot.

Roswell aired on the WB and UPN, but was a Fox Television Studios production; the rights will shift over to Disney if the merger/purchase is approved. 

8 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Would a reboot even work? The revivals get viewers because of nostalgia and fans wanting to see what happened to the characters on a show they loved years later. Roswell and Charmed are using the name to try to get the fans of the original shows to watch their show. When they could just make a new show about aliens and witches and just have people make comparisons Roswell and Charmed. 

As  a fan of both shows originally,  not that I stuck with charmed,  I seriously as a fan have no great interest in reboots.   Like,  hmc, shannen and rose did great work,  and I thought were strong women,  I'm honestly not sure other people could compete with that. 

It's the height of summer here so I must subject you to my yearly pic of a black forest cake! hehe so lopsided this year because the boys keep wanting a bigger cake! I am looking into a rectangular shape next year! 

qM9Mqs6ZxdtPzdZpZV5o8ySD8pzVBexZsBrDQZ5E

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 8
58 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I agree that no one has any business casting judgment and scorn on why something brings pleasure to a viewer but their argument that gets pitched about self-insertion fantasy doesn't stop at nerdy not so hot girls fantasizing or even just girls fantasizing.  When a certain crowd uses self-insertion to "explain" why something is popular or loved, the theory isn't limited to just someone dreaming about what it would be like to be that person, but the assertion that they are mentally unfit for doing so, either too young to form real opinions or incapable of real relationships or just plain delusional.  It's kind of the same insulting crap that still gets said about romance novels and how it warps women's minds and they can't tell fiction from reality.   (Where are the protests trying to save guys from buying spy thrillers?)

Ooh this REALLY annoys me! And it's not coming just from men. It comes from women casting judgement (and acting superior) on what other women read/watch as well.

When Twilight was out the husband and I were totally addicted to it. I remember there being so much venom from self proclaimed "strong" women who trashed anyone for reading it, citing and picking apart how it was a book that set up terrible expectations for women, abusive relationships and so on. Annoyed me SO much! 

I frequently watch Chinese series about beautiful, sickly, gentle heroines with long shiny hair who fall in love with domineering Emperors. Does not mean that is what I aspire to be! 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:
11 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

I agree that no one has any business casting judgment and scorn on why something brings pleasure to a viewer but their argument that gets pitched about self-insertion fantasy doesn't stop at nerdy not so hot girls fantasizing or even just girls fantasizing.  When a certain crowd uses self-insertion to "explain" why something is popular or loved, the theory isn't limited to just someone dreaming about what it would be like to be that person, but the assertion that they are mentally unfit for doing so, either too young to form real opinions or incapable of real relationships or just plain delusional.  It's kind of the same insulting crap that still gets said about romance novels and how it warps women's minds and they can't tell fiction from reality.   (Where are the protests trying to save guys from buying spy thrillers?)

Ooh this REALLY annoys me! And it's not coming just from men. It comes from women casting judgement (and acting superior) on what other women read/watch as well.

When Twilight was out the husband and I were totally addicted to it. I remember there being so much venom from self proclaimed "strong" women who trashed anyone for reading it, citing and picking apart how it was a book that set up terrible expectations for women, abusive relationships and so on. Annoyed me SO much! 

I frequently watch Chinese series about beautiful, sickly, gentle heroines with long shiny hair who fall in love with domineering Emperors. Does not mean that is what I aspire to be! 

Sickly?  Lol.  That's an interesting detail.  Is it common?  How sickly?  Do they get better or is it tragedy usually?

5 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Sickly?  Lol.  That's an interesting detail.  Is it common?  How sickly?  Do they get better or is it tragedy usually?

They don't always die but they faint a lot at very convenient times when our Emperor runs into them or gets upset with them. 

If they do die, emperor will meet and fall in love with robust, loud and sprightly "take no crap" identical twin ?

Don't judge me I was raised on this stuff! I love it!

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

They don't always die but they faint a lot at very convenient times when our Emperor runs into them or gets upset with them. 

If they do die, emperor will meet and fall in love with robust, loud and sprightly "take no crap" identical twin ?

Lol.  I won't judge YOU.  But oh dear.  The identical twin thing is kind of painful.  ??

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, jaye.elle said:

After watching a Turkish drama, these types of plots get me :)

haha the other thing that makes me laugh is how they want a love triangle but if the OTP has great chemistry they don't want to cast another actor for fear of upsetting fans. So say in S5 of Arrow they'll have Oliver meet and be attracted to a secretly EvilFelicity clone or just have EBR play a random character that Oliver falls for. Cue love triangle blah blah blah but fans won't be too cross cuz EBR will still have the same chemistry and extra screen time.

Sometimes they actually manage to create two factions of shippers by doing this! 

Just now, Mellowyellow said:

haha the other thing that makes me laugh is how they want a love triangle but if the OTP has great chemistry they don't want to cast another actor for fear of upsetting fans. So say in S5 of Arrow they'll have Oliver meet and be attracted to a secretly EvilFelicity clone or just have EBR play a random character that Oliver falls for. Cue love triangle blah blah blah but fans won't be too cross cuz EBR will still have the same chemistry and extra screen time.

Sometimes they actually manage to create two factions of shippers by doing this! 

It just keeps getting better!  :D

4 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

It just keeps getting better!  :D

hahah I watched a series where I got super confused before reading up on it because the dude had whiskers and then no whiskers and I wasn't sure what was going on! Turns out they were twin brothers and there was a love triangle between our heroine and the two. It was very complicated! She was betrothed to one twin and the other twin was her sifu! 

4 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

sifu

Had to look that one up.  So sifu is teacher?  Does that explain why Po's master in Kung Fu Panda was called Master Shifu?

Edited by BkWurm1
3 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Had to look that one up.  So sifu is teacher?  Does that explain why Po's master in Kung Fu Panda was called Master Shifu?

Yes teacher! 

And she was pretending to be a boy to learn mad martial arts skills from him. Lol it sounds ridiculous when I tell you about it but you just accept it if you're used to it, trust me! 

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

When you say run into, you just mean shows up unexpectedly? Because going by other things you describe I'm not at all sure it's not physically charges the heroine like a bull. 

6 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Yes teacher! 

And she was pretending to be a boy to learn mad martial arts skills from him. Lol it sounds ridiculous when I tell you about it but you just accept it if you're used to it, trust me! 

So like Mulan without the war? 

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, bijoux said:

When you say run into, you just mean shows up unexpectedly? Because going by other things you describe I'm not at all sure it's not physically charges the heroine like a bull. 

So like Mulan without the war? 

Sometimes it's showing up unexpectedly, sometimes it's almost literally running into our heroine with a horse that he manages to stop just in time. Haha I'm adapting a story with this meeting actually but I will alter it so Oliver does not literally almost run Felicity over with a horse and I'll leave out the sickly twin!

Dropping from a great height and being caught by our hero is also another favourite!

Sort of like Mulan but there is a war where sifu ends up in a coma and she feeds him her blood to keep him alive. But then she has to go off and be a mortal for a while and keeps him in a tomb. Prince twin falls in love with her mortal form not knowing he's actually betrothed to her God form.  

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Sort of like Mulan but there is a war where sifu ends up in a coma and she feeds him her blood to keep him alive. But then she has to go off and be a mortal for a while and keeps him in a tomb. Prince twin falls in love with her mortal form not knowing he's actually betrothed to her God form.  

Wow.  That just kept getting trippier the more you explained.  

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Wow.  That just kept getting trippier the more you explained.  

So now is not a good time to tell you that our heroine also has a friend who is a demon (don't know if she knew the friend was a demon, it gets confusing!). Anyway demon friend says "OMG I love your looks so much I wish I looked like you" so our heroine gives the friend her identical face so now the friend can be happy that she too is also beautiful like our heroine. Obviously Demonfriend then uses her likeness to get up to bad stuff. Lol but just imagine like 3 versions of EBR running around constantly making heart eyes at 2 versions of SA! 

ETA: Do you know how HARD it is for me to wait around for my meagre EBR scenes every week! I am used to seeing an actress I like in 90% of the episode! 

Edited by Mellowyellow
48 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Sometimes it's showing up unexpectedly, sometimes it's almost literally running into our heroine with a horse that he manages to stop just in time. Haha I'm adapting a story with this meeting actually but I will alter it so Oliver does not literally almost run Felicity over with a horse and I'll leave out the sickly twin!

Dropping from a great height and being caught by our hero is also another favourite!

22 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

So now is not a good time to tell you that our heroine also has a friend who is a demon (don't know if she knew the friend was a demon, it gets confusing!). Anyway demon friend says "OMG I love your looks so much I wish I looked like you" so our heroine gives the friend her identical face so now the friend can be happy that she too is also beautiful like our heroine. Obviously Demonfriend then uses her likeness to get up to bad stuff. Lol but just imagine like 3 versions of EBR running around constantly making heart eyes at 2 versions of SA! 

ETA: Do you know how HARD it is for me to wait around for my meagre EBR scenes every week! I am used to seeing an actress I like in 90% of the episode! 

I am saying this with respect - you are into some weird stuff. 

• Love 3
On 2/3/2018 at 12:58 AM, Mellowyellow said:

It's the height of summer here so I must subject you to my yearly pic of a black forest cake! hehe so lopsided this year because the boys keep wanting a bigger cake! I am looking into a rectangular shape next year! 

Beautiful cake,  and jealous of your summer,  the weather here sucks and can't make up its mind as to what season it wants to be. 

• Love 1

I usually love winter, but having spent 2 and a hald hours to travel some 30 miles on Friday and then cleaning the car and shoveling to get it free, I support the jealousy of summer. 

Naturally, in seven months I'll abhor it.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, lemotomato said:

Come visit California,, @bijoux. The last two days we've had 70s-80s (21-27 C) weather in the San Francisco Bay Area and in the 90s (32 C) in LA.

I am not okay with running my air conditioner 4 days into February. I know CA gets mild winters but this is no bueno. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, lemotomato said:

Come visit California,, @bijoux. The last two days we've had 70s-80s (21-27 C) weather in the San Francisco Bay Area and in the 90s (32 C) in LA.

I was really desperate to do laundry last week and had no time, but then I realized that it was warm enough to wear summer clothes and I was fine.

• Love 2
On 2/3/2018 at 12:58 AM, Mellowyellow said:

Is that cocoa powder around the sides? Have you ever tried a Brown Derby? It's one of my favorites in the summer

2734562.jpg

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

I made fat free sugar free chocolate pudding.  I patted myself on the back when I got it smooth no lumps.

My culinary skills are low.  :D

Dude where is the flavour???

haha I'm fasting today (5:2 eating plan) and considering trading all my 500 cals for a slice of black forest. 

1 minute ago, Mellowyellow said:

haha I'm fasting today (5:2 eating plan) and considering trading all my 500 cals for a slice of black forest. 

The Intermittent Fast thing? I was doing the other plan eating between 12-8 only. Works great when I'm working sucks on the weekends

3 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

The Intermittent Fast thing? I was doing the other plan eating between 12-8 only. Works great when I'm working sucks on the weekends

Yes!!! I've been doing it for 4 weeks now and it's fantastic! Really suits my lifestyle! I find myself looking forward to a fast day after I've eaten 2 days in a row. Plus I got used to it and now I have lots of energy even on the fasting days. Also it's easy socially because I can just move the fasting day if I go out.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Why do you think I was so excited about the smooth texture?  There is flavor (fake) for like the first two bites and then it's just vaguely sort of sweet and chocolate adjacent, lol.  I'm considering folding in some cream cheese and maybe sugar and real chocolate.  

8 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Why do you think I was so excited about the smooth texture?  There is flavor (fake) for like the first two bites and then it's just vaguely sort of sweet and chocolate adjacent, lol.  I'm considering folding in some cream cheese and maybe sugar and real chocolate.  

Just give up and go buy cake!

I started the kid out on the 70% dark chocolate because it has less sugar. Now he's not keen on normal milk chocolate because it doesn't taste right to him. The 70% stuff is NASTY to me though! Sooo bitter! 

• Love 1

I've taken to making hot chocolate with just the cocoa and milk, no sugar.  It's not as decadent as with sugar but it will do.  (I couldn't do a fasting diet I just couldn't.)

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

As a Giants fan I hate the Eagles but I hate the Pats and their fans more. So, congratulations to the Iggles! Takes and NFC East team to destroy the Pats ?

LOL! Yeah, we had no horse in this race but were more than happy to root against the Pats and Brady. So yeah, soar, Eagles, soar! Congrats!

• Love 3

The all important post Superbowl question. What were the best/worst commercials?

As a Die Hard Giants/Football fan my favorites were the 2 Cure Insurance commercials where they ragged on the Pats/Eagles and then called Brady a cheat LOL ? and the Eli/Beckham Touchdown Dance . I laughed so hard last night, I couldn't catch my breath.

Another one I loved was the Dodge Ram/Vikings commercial with Queen's We Will Rock You.

Least favorite. I got pissed at the Tide Ad when they got me all excited for the Budweiser Clydesdales which we haven't seen in awhile. I also didn't like the Lexus Black Panther commercial and the Dodge Ram with MLK (especially since they didn't get permission from the family).