Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

I caught the last 3 minutes or so. I have no idea what the show is about and have no intentions of watching, but the girl protagonist narrating while writing in a diary thing reminded me of Roswell, and not in a good way.

18 minutes ago, Chaser said:

I'm watching Supernatural/Wayward Sisters and Claire is awful. The actress is horrible and the character is so bland. She has so much focus in the pilot I'm concerned about the series (if it gets picked up).

I hate Claire, she's worse than Krissy and I hate her too. I love Jody and Donna, I like Alex and grew to like Patience/Kaia but, Claire sucks and the actress sucks too.

If you have to come up with all these catchy/cliche lines and film/pose/set the character/actress in such a way as to appear as a cliche tough chick....guess what she's not.

Alex was more of a bad ass, simply being a good daughter/friend/sister/nurse/fighter than the crap they tried to pull with Claire.

• Love 2

I caught part of it and it was mostly Claire and ... no. I never warmed up to her during her previous appearances and I don't think that's going to change. So Donna eventually shows up? I'd prefer if the older ladies took the lead, actually. I'm gonna watch for them. I'm on a wait-and-see mode with the other younger women.

If the show really wants and Alona Tal is available and willing, Jo can be resurrected. I would have loved a Jody-Ellen meetup. And I definitely want to see more of Jody-Mary.

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

So Donna eventually shows up? I'd prefer if the older ladies took the lead, actually. I'm gonna watch for them. I'm on a wait-and-see mode with the other younger women.

Yeah Donna shows up. She's awesome, I get such a kick out of her. I would have loved a Jody/Donna show but, I realize that wouldn't fly on CW. 

Hell, Jody, Donna and Ellen are my all time fave.

9 hours ago, Kymmi said:

I can't believe I forgot to watch that last night.  I took a break from SPN, but really wanted to see this.  I love the concept, but really wish they had kept Jo alive.  :-( 

Jo was awesome. Killing her Ellen and Charlie over the years was so unnecessary 

9 hours ago, Chaser said:

Jo and Charlie traveling around hunting urban legends (old school Supernatural like) was my dream spin off. 

Oh I would've watched that!

• Love 1

Things turn so quickly on TV. I remember raving about Lethal Weapon last season whilst whinging about how terrible Arrow was. Now Lethal Weapon has gone down the gurgler. It's so miserable to watch with one of the lead characters being a total train wreck this season. 

On another note I just realised Tim Daly and Tea Leoni are dating!!!!! In real life!!!!! For a while now apparently! I saw a vacation photo!!!! They are totally adorable as a married couple on TV so this was a nice surprise! 

They're airing Lethal Weapon here now. I think I've seen the first four episodes. It's pretty enjoyable, but nothing revolutionary IMO. What set you off in season 2?

In other news, I was just watching this interview with Sharon Stone and an old picture of her popped up. I don't know if I'm being crazy, but she looks just like EBR. Just click play, the video will start at 5:45 which is when the photo appears.

@bijoux I loved it in S1. I thought it was entertaining and had a lot of heart. I was invested in the characters. S2 has fun moments but parts of it is creeping into miserable territory. I am finding it hard to sit and watch the misery. And it's sad miserable not over-the-top-Chinese-series miserable which I enjoy! 

I quit Leathal Weapon at the end of S1. It was just an endless cycle of Riggs is crazy, Riggs is Suicidal, Riggs does something crazy/impossible and saves the day. Roge makes jokes, Roge accusses Riggs of being crazy, Roge/family tries to reach Riggs but he slinks back into his depression.

Every time you thought Riggs made some progress towards healing/growth, he'd regress (AGAIN). 

It became depressing.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2
49 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I quit Leathal Weapon at the end of S1. It was just an endless cycle of Riggs is crazy, Riggs is Suicidal, Riggs does something crazy/impossible and saves the day. Roge makes jokes, Roge accusses Riggs of being crazy, Roge/family tries to reach Riggs but he slinks back into his depression.

Every time you thought Riggs made some progress towards healing/growth, he'd regrets (AGAIN). 

It became depressing.

You've pretty much nailed it! I think it's the progress and then relapse which makes it extra depressing for me. They give me hope that Riggs might just have a breakthrough and then yank it away! 

I really enjoy Lethal Weapon, but I do agree that the show needs to allow Riggs to evolve. Earlier this season, it seemed they were doing that Riggs was in a good place, bathed, combed hair, clean unwrinkled clothing, and everyone (in the show) was shocked. He was like a different person, so I thought this time he'd keep some of that progress, but he didn't so he's back to being Riggs. That said, they are delving way more into his past with his family, and even allowing him to learn some things about his wife... so I hope this is the last season of Riggs as a total mess. It would make sense to allow him closure with the past, since it's been features so heavily this season, and give him actual progression for the next. As much as I do really enjoy Murtaugh & Riggs, and that bromance, I really love the secondary characters especially Trish.

I actually came here to find out if anyone here watched Damnation? I binged it yesterday and was surprised at how good it was, but their forum is deader than Tommy.

Edited by JJ928
14 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

@bijoux I loved it in S1. I thought it was entertaining and had a lot of heart. I was invested in the characters. S2 has fun moments but parts of it is creeping into miserable territory. I am finding it hard to sit and watch the misery. And it's sad miserable not over-the-top-Chinese-series miserable which I enjoy! 

This points out to me how big a difference experiencing shows can be when you are not as invested.  I think my enjoyment of the show is still about the same.   Now I haven't watched the latest episode, but otherwise I'm caught up and I'd swear he IS doing better this year.  He's trying to move forward and was ready to move forward but this time his past (his father) is getting in his way while last year he was getting in his way all on his own, so I still see it as progress, lol.  

Edited by BkWurm1
1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

This points out to me how big a difference experiencing shows can be when you are not as invested.  I think my enjoyment of the show is still about the same.   Now I haven't watched the latest episode, but otherwise I'm caught up and I'd swear he IS doing better this year.  He's trying to move forward and was ready to move forward but this time his past (his father) is getting in his way while last year he was getting in his way all on his own, so I still see it as progress, lol.  

I feel like he's gone off the rails even more this time. Agree with you that he was doing well up until the last few episodes where he's a train wreck again and this time it feels even more serious.

hehe I tend to rely on Madam Secretary for very well adjusted people!  The main couple have got to be one of the sanest set of characters on TV.

41 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

hehe I tend to rely on Madam Secretary for very well adjusted people!  The main couple have got to be one of the sanest set of characters on TV.

Sometimes shows struggle with having a powerful woman in a couple.  Madame Secretary did well in just letting Henry be really good at his own thing as well.  A number of years back there was a show were a woman becomes president (she was the vice president) but the show had no idea how to write the husband so he turned into this whiny guy that didn't know how to live in her shadow. What bothered me even more was it seemed the show didn't know how to write a power couple, they were just flipping the dynamic and doing to him what is normally done to the wife only now they realized the character was a weak, thin, joke.  Needless to say the show got canceled.  I was very curious to see how Madame Secretary would handle the power dynamic and they've always done better but they too struggled at times with him not having security clearance. 

I'm just babbling now.  Suffice to say, I like the show and the couple too.  How weird that they are real life dating?   

Edited by BkWurm1

@BkWurm1 I love how Madam Secretary shows Henry handling all the kids. I think he feeds them on most days and makes sure Bess gets dinner too. Ans then he goes off to do his superspy stuff! Plus he's always so supportive of Bess and knows just the right things to say to her.

When the show first started I was so scared they'd have him cheat or something ghastly like that! But they are one of the most stable and adorably daggy couples on TV!

There is a super cute picture of them (the actors in real life) kissing that Tim Daly posted! They kinda look like they do on set! Plus there is a cute video of two sets of feet walking in the snow and I'm absolutely sure it's Tea Leoni's voice. I'm like 98% sure they are dating cuz otherwise it would be weird for him to post all these things on his Instagram. I don't normally ship real life actors but I got such a kick finding out they are dating! It gives me so many squeeees that they are a couple in real life! 

The other non shippy friendship I adore on MS is Conrad and Bess! OMG I love their scenes! I swear whenever they have a heart to heart it is almost right up there with an Olicity scene for me. 

I think that the actor playing Riggs on Lethal Weapon is either going to leave the show, or have them kill the character off eventually. I mean, sure, he'll probably stick around for another season or 2, and then when he gets a better show/offer/more money, he'll tell them to kill off Riggs. I mean, how many years is this guy going to
want to play a lonely/sad/angry/suicidal character?

I'm not an actor, but from what I've read of interviews from actors, it gets hard to keep playing sad/depressed/suicidal/angry characters on a regular basis for years.

I'm a fan of the show, but I don't like thinking that Riggs is going to kill himself at any moment. They need to bring back Hilarie Burton as Karen Palmer. I enjoyed her character and her relationship with Riggs.

Edited by Laina
  • Love 1

Love it! It looks like a true padparadscha and I love the healthy sized halo as well (I love a good halo). We get a lot of dudes on the jewellry forum looking for padparadscha sapphires to propose with. They are pretty pricey and it's hard to find the perfect shade. The colour on hers is gorgeous!

2 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I thought all saphires were blue. This is confusing.

Sapphire is corundum. 

If it is red, it will then be classified as ruby. 

Any other colour is referred to as sapphire so you can get sapphires in green, blue, teal, pink, yellow, violet and so on. 

4 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Sapphire is corundum. 

If it is red, it will then be classified as ruby. 

Any other colour is referred to as sapphire so you can get sapphires in green, blue, teal, pink, yellow, violet and so on. 

I learn something new every day! 

On 1/20/2018 at 7:11 AM, bijoux said:

They're airing Lethal Weapon here now. I think I've seen the first four episodes. It's pretty enjoyable, but nothing revolutionary IMO. What set you off in season 2?

In other news, I was just watching this interview with Sharon Stone and an old picture of her popped up. I don't know if I'm being crazy, but she looks just like EBR. Just click play, the video will start at 5:45 which is when the photo appears.

Wow EBR does look similar 

11 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Do you guys get food shortages on certain items where you live?

We're having an avocado crisis!

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/eat/avocado-price-hike-amid-a-nationwide-shortage-of-the-popular-fruit/news-story/3573a0f804aee6884771b05d4ce385ab

My kid eats half an avocado every day this is sending me broke!

Ugh,  I'm on the east coast and the recent cold snap and going from 13 to 60 every other day has completely fucked any crop that isn't grown in a greenhouse.   Tomatoes,  limes and lemons are so expensive at the moment its so annoying.

1 hour ago, Delphi said:

Ugh,  I'm on the east coast and the recent cold snap and going from 13 to 60 every other day has completely fucked any crop that isn't grown in a greenhouse.   Tomatoes,  limes and lemons are so expensive at the moment its so annoying.

How pricey do your tomatoes get? We hit $5 a pound when some crazy poisoned all the plants in the greenhouses a few years ago. 

I have no lemon crop 2 months in a year and during those 2 months I make the family use my frozen stash of lemon juice and zest. They are not allowed to buy lemons or limes!

34 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

How pricey do your tomatoes get? We hit $5 a pound when some crazy poisoned all the plants in the greenhouses a few years ago. 

I have no lemon crop 2 months in a year and during those 2 months I make the family use my frozen stash of lemon juice and zest. They are not allowed to buy lemons or limes!

Tomatoes are about $1.50/lb, cheaper in the summer if you buy Jersey Fresh.

I can get Apples depending on the type anywhere from .99c/lb (Jona Gold) to $1.99/lb for others. Usually Gala are $1.49 - $1.69/lb

Lemons are 3 for $2.99 but in the summer it's like 3 for $1, Limes are real cheap in the summer, 6 for $1.99

42 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

I buy limes constantly,  I'm either an alcoholic or a huge fan of mojitos.  Those are 30 cents for one.   Tomatoes have gone from 2 dollars to 3.50 per pound.   But my grocery store is a bit overpriced. 

Edited by Delphi

Last year cauliflower went up to $8 a head here.  I stopped buying it.

Our growing season is really only May to October at best so there are a lot of months when frozen vegetables or root soup is first on the menu.  Tomatoes ripen around the end of July and only go till late September, early October if I'm lucky. Field tomatoes are delicious so I do my eating and preserving then.  The rest of the time it's either greenhouse tomatoes which are pricey or shipped in from California and bred so that they can bounce rather than for taste.

Same with strawberries. One, maybe two months of local berries and the rest of the time I don't bother because they're all flash and no flavour.

$8??? That's nuts! I'll admit I have no idea what cauliflower prices are normally as I only feed it to the boys when it's $2 a head in winter.   

I'm curious are your yellow peaches sweet? Because ours have a great smell but they've never been sweet. I always turn them into dessert. 

I'm not sure if I've had a yellow peach.  I haven't paid attention past it being a peach.  I've had some not quite ripe peaches that were a bit tart but otherwise, I've never had a peach that wasn't sweet (and oh so juicy)  Of course, when they are out of season the prices go way up or they just don't exist outside of canned, so then I tend to not buy them anyway.  

13 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I'm thinking of buying a hard shell luggage set. Anyone have a recommendation? My current "soft" set is Samsonite, I might just stick with them but, figured I'd ask around.

I have a Samsonite Winfield 20” that I’ve gone around the world with and it’s great. I can’t speak to it’s sturdiness when checked frequently since I avoid that as much as possible - I’ve done it 3 times with this case, and it’s good. It’s stood the test of time being shoved into cabs and overheads. No complaints here!

16 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I'm thinking of buying a hard shell luggage set. Anyone have a recommendation? My current "soft" set is Samsonite, I might just stick with them but, figured I'd ask around.

I'm a luggage junkie. I just bought the Raden carryon, but it's really pricey.  It has a built in scale and a phone battery recharger in the bag.  I'm typically a soft case kind of girl (love Samsonite's Black Label collection, and have a Filson set), but my job takes me to Paris (humblebrag) a few times a year, and wanted to get something a bit sturdier.  It's arriving this week, I'll let you know what I think.  

6 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

I have a Samsonite Winfield 20” that I’ve gone around the world with and it’s great. I can’t speak to it’s sturdiness when checked frequently since I avoid that as much as possible - I’ve done it 3 times with this case, and it’s good. It’s stood the test of time being shoved into cabs and overheads. No complaints here!

Cool, thanks I was looking at the Winfield set. I think I'm just going to get a 2 piece that's all I have right now (20 and 28).

5 minutes ago, Kymmi said:

I'm a luggage junkie. I just bought the Raden carryon, but it's really pricey.  It has a built in scale and a phone battery recharger in the bag.  I'm typically a soft case kind of girl (love Samsonite's Black Label collection, and have a Filson set), but my job takes me to Paris (humblebrag) a few times a year, and wanted to get something a bit sturdier.  It's arriving this week, I'll let you know what I think.  

Thanks look forward to the review. I only travel 3-4 times per year but, I do go international at least once per year. 

1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I've a 24" Samsonite Pivot that has held up pretty well after 4 international trips, checked in all times. It's sturdy and roomy. 

So with Previously.TV going down Thursday evening for upgrades, it seems there's a chance it will be down during Arrow's live chat.  I've mentioned before that the forums over at GreenArrowTV http://www.ksitetv.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?1639-Arrow-Season-6 are a ghost town but they do set up a live thread (even though it's been weeks since anyone has used it)  So if Previously is down, I'm going to head over there just until our home is restored.  You have to make an account but it's not complicated.  

4 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

So with Previously.TV going down Thursday evening for upgrades, it seems there's a chance it will be down during Arrow's live chat.  I've mentioned before that the forums over at GreenArrowTV http://www.ksitetv.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?1639-Arrow-Season-6 are a ghost town but they do set up a live thread (even though it's been weeks since anyone has used it)  So if Previously is down, I'm going to head over there just until our home is restored.  You have to make an account but it's not complicated.  

Omg is that tomorrow!!!! I'm one day ahead abd got my dates confused!!!!

Noooooooo!!!! Tomorrow is fasting day and My day off. The Arrow live thread was all I was looking forward to *wails*

I'm not sure Murphy Brown could recreate what it had.  So I'm iffy on that.  I hated Rosanne then and will hate it now so that's just a shrug of the shoulders.  

I admit, if they ever suggested bring back Friends I would go bonkers over the idea but that one falls in the never gonna happen category.  

I guess Will And Grace is doing so well, they're going back to the oldies.

20 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

I'm curious are your yellow peaches sweet? Because ours have a great smell but they've never been sweet. I always turn them into dessert. 

I think all our peaches are yellow but they're probably different varieties than you have.  It's hit and miss for peaches here -- some years they're delicious and I make lots of jam; others they're mealy and good only for desserts.