Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

40 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

There used to be a product called Big Red that was basically bright red colored cream soda but they stopped carrying at least in my state at least 10 years ago.    

Big Red still exists in Los Angeles. It's kinda terrible and sometimes I crave it. 

2 hours ago, calliope1975 said:

Big Red still exists in Los Angeles. It's kinda terrible and sometimes I crave it. 

Lol.  I remember it from back when I drank pop with sugar.  It was too much and yet I kept going back to it, lol.  

(edited)

Interesting - and unsurprising...

Inside ‘The Mummy’s’ Troubles: Tom Cruise Had Excessive Control (EXCLUSIVE)
By Ramin Setoodeh, Brent Lang  JUNE 14, 2017 | 04:09PM PT
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/the-mummy-meltdown-tom-cruise-1202465742/

But in the case of “The Mummy,” one person–Cruise–had an excessive amount of control, according to several people interviewed. The reboot of “The Mummy” was supposed to be the start of a mega-franchise for Universal Pictures. But instead, it’s become a textbook case of a movie star run amok.

As Hollywood is playing the blame game on what went wrong on “The Mummy,” which had a measly domestic opening of just $32 million, many fingers are pointing to Cruise. In the same way that he commanded the stage at the film’s premiere, leaving his cast standing awkwardly by his side, several sources close to the production say that Cruise exerted nearly complete creative oversight on “The Mummy,” essentially wearing all the hats and dictating even the smallest decisions on the set. On stage, Cruise admitted his own perfectionist tendencies. “I don’t just make a movie. I give it everything I have and I expect it from everyone also.”

Universal, according to sources familiar with the matter, contractually guaranteed Cruise control of most aspects of the project, from script approval to post-production decisions. He also had a great deal of input on the film’s marketing and release strategy, these sources said, advocating for a June debut in a prime summer period.

With terrible reviews, “The Mummy,” which insiders say cost as much as $190 million to make and more than $100 million more to market and release worldwide, may struggle to make its money back. The film is performing much stronger overseas, where it was Cruise’s biggest international rollout with a $142 million opening weekend. It’s not clear if the movie will break even, and it’s cast a shadow on the studio’s plans for a Dark Universe franchise that’s supposed to feature A-list stars like Johnny Depp (as “The Invisible Man”) and Angelina Jolie (in negotiations for “The Bride of Frankenstein”).
It may be the last hurrah for big movie stars, but on the set of “The Mummy,” Cruise acted like the top gun he once was, calling all the shots. Kurtzman had been in the running to direct the project before Cruise signed on, but the actor gave his blessing for the filmmaker to slide behind the camera. They’d established a comfort level when Kurtzman worked as the screenwriter of “Mission: Impossible III.”
There were other ways that “The Mummy” was transformed from a scary summer popcorn movie into a standard-issue Tom Cruise vehicle. The actor personally commissioned two other writers along with McQuarrie to crank out a new script. Two of the film’s three credited screenwriters, McQuarrie and Dylan Kussman, an actor-writer who played small roles in “The Mummy” and “Jack Reacher,” were close allies of Cruise’s. The script envisioned Nick Morton as an earnest Tom Cruise archetype, who is laughably described as a “young man” at one point.

His writers beefed up his part. In the original script, Morton and the Mummy (played by Sofia Boutella) had nearly equal screen time. The writers also added a twist that saw Cruise’s character become possessed, to give him more of a dramatic arc. Even though Universal executives weren’t thrilled about the story — which feels disjointed and includes Russell Crowe as Dr. Jekyll — they went along with Cruise’s vision.
Once the film was done, Cruise brought in his longtime editor Andrew Mondshein to piece together the final picture. (The film’s credits also list Gina and Paul Hirsch as editors.) He spent time in the editing suite overseeing the cutting, which everybody agreed wasn’t working. On the lot, there were differences of opinions about whether Cruise’s directions were improving a picture that had been troubled from its inception or whether they were turning a horror film into a Cruise infomercial. Some believed that Cruise had no choice but to assert himself. Given Kurtzman’s inexperience directing tentpoles, Cruise, who has carried heavily choreographed action movies all his life, had to try to rally the troops or risk having the production fall behind schedule.

Universal knew that if it wanted “The Mummy” to compete against the likes of “Wonder Woman” and “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” it needed every ounce of Cruise’s waning star power. As the studio scrambled to deal with weak tracking, it released a portrait in late May of Cruise with other actors from the Dark Universe franchise, including Depp and Javier Bardem (who will play Frankenstein). Yet the studio couldn’t even assemble all the actors in the room at the same time, and the image had to be Photoshopped. The Internet reaction to the last-ditch marketing effort was tepid at best. It was another reminder that the big names that once ruled Hollywood are inspiring a lot less love from audiences.

Edited by tv echo
1 minute ago, Kymmi said:

This is nothing compared to what went on in the heyday of soaps.  A whole other level of crazy town.  

OMG Really? What soaps? Tell me please???

I keep imagining the Ridge/Brooke and Ridge/Taylor people when you say that. Although I know nothing about that but I recall twenty years on they were still pitching him between the two ladies!

(edited)

I've heard stories about soap fans that bought actual gifts in real life and sent them to the actors/studios when their characters on the show were getting married or having babies. 

Edited by lemotomato
4 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

OMG Really? What soaps? Tell me please???

I keep imagining the Ridge/Brooke and Ridge/Taylor people when you say that. Although I know nothing about that but I recall twenty years on they were still pitching him between the two ladies!

My experience was mainly on the General Hospital side.  The Sonny/Brenda/Jax triangle in the 90's nearly killed us all.  The board I posted on had to create a separate board for the triangle because of the insanity.  I was involved in that to a small extent, and a later triangle to a much larger extent (this is getting so embarrassing).  We had a closed email group that generated hundreds of emails.  We had a leak somewhere (email content getting into the hands of other groups) and had this elaborate sting operating to uncover the traitor (complete with an aha trap).  We vacationed together, traveled all over, talked into the wee hours of the night, cried over relationships, welcomed children.  And then one day the triangle exploded and the friendships imploded.  Like we understood intellectually that the friendships were more important, but we suddenly felt so betrayed by other members of the group for switching sides that we couldn't talk to each other anymore.  Like I said - craaaazzzy.  

• Love 3
(edited)

The script envisioned Nick Morton as an earnest Tom Cruise archetype, who is laughably described as a “young man” at one point.

I heard one scathing review of the Mummy on NPR that basically said Cruise was horribly miscast for the role and that the script had him doing things and making choices that someone young and inexperienced might be able to get away but at his age just made him seem incredibly stupid and immature.  I'm thinking Cruise might still think he's that guy, lol.  At least on screen.    

Edited by BkWurm1

I heard that The Mummy was planned to start a franchise to rival The Avengers.  I wonder if the overseas sales will still be enough to keep going.

4 hours ago, Kymmi said:

The Sonny/Brenda/Jax triangle in the 90's nearly killed us all.

I'm sorry for people who wanted Brenda/Jax because the rule for General Hospital is All Bet On Sonny.  He just got Jax permanently banned from the U.S.

On 2017-06-14 at 8:08 PM, Mellowyellow said:

You guys aren't allowed Kinder Surprise?

There is a law that makes illegal toys inside candy so even though the Kinder surprise toy is in a protected egg, it's still illegal in the US.  You can't buy it in the US and  grandparents who unknowingly bring them into the country from Canada for their grandchildren have them confiscated at the border.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Kymmi said:

My experience was mainly on the General Hospital side.  The Sonny/Brenda/Jax triangle in the 90's nearly killed us all.  The board I posted on had to create a separate board for the triangle because of the insanity.  I was involved in that to a small extent, and a later triangle to a much larger extent (this is getting so embarrassing).  We had a closed email group that generated hundreds of emails.  We had a leak somewhere (email content getting into the hands of other groups) and had this elaborate sting operating to uncover the traitor (complete with an aha trap).  We vacationed together, traveled all over, talked into the wee hours of the night, cried over relationships, welcomed children.  And then one day the triangle exploded and the friendships imploded.  Like we understood intellectually that the friendships were more important, but we suddenly felt so betrayed by other members of the group for switching sides that we couldn't talk to each other anymore.  Like I said - craaaazzzy.  

I kind of want to see this on screen. ?

• Love 1
(edited)

It was inevitable...

‘Supernatural’ Spinoff ‘Wayward Sisters’ Starring Kim Rhodes Set As Backdoor Pilot For Season 13 Of CW Series
by Nellie Andreeva •  June 20, 2017 
http://deadline.com/2017/06/supernatural-spinoff-wayward-sisters-kim-rhodes-the-cw-backdoor-pilot-season-13-1202116253/

EXCLUSIVE: It’s the ladies’ turn in the Supernatural franchise. I have learned that the CW’s long-running drama series, about the adventures of the Winchester brothers, is prepping a new spinoff, Wayward Sisters, starring the original series’ standout Kim Rhodes.

The project — which is being developed as a planted spinoff and will have a backdoor pilot airing as an episode of Supernatural‘s upcoming 13th season — tells the story of Sheriff Jody Mills (Rhodes) and a group of troubled young women, all of them orphaned by supernatural tragedy. Under Mills’ training and protection, the women will emerge as a supreme monster-fighting force. Unlike the original series, which centers on a biological brothers, Wayward Sisters is about a sisterhood of girls in a foster family. The spinoff hails from a quartet of Supernatural writers-producers, showrunners Andrew Dabb and Robert Singer as well as Phil Sgriccia, Robert Berens. Warner Bros TV, which produces Supernatural, is the studio. The CW and WBTV declined comment.

Written by Berens and Dabb, Wayward Sisters is expected to bring over other characters featured on the mothership series as well as introduce new ones. I hear Rhodes is the only actress currently attached to the spinoff, with talks with others in various stages. Based on the premise of the project, two existing Supernatural characters, orphan Claire Novak and runaway Alex Jones, who had been put under Jody’s care, would fit in nicely, with Jody’s colleague and occasional partner, Sheriff Donna Hanscum, also a strong candidate.

Jody, Claire, Alex and Donna have been the dream quartet of characters of a spinoff fans had been rallying for, dubbed Wayward Daughters. Named in part after the title of the Kansas song that opens every Supernatural finale, Carry On Wayward Son, the Wayward Daughters spinoff idea was the result of a grassroots fan effort that started two years ago, soon after Bloodlines, the first proposed Supernatural spinoff, did not go forward. (Bloodlines too was introduced as a backdoor pilot, which aired during Supernatural‘s ninth season). Wayward Daughters had been embraced by some of the Supernatural actresses who have supported the effort on social media, and even have worn some of the T-shirts created by the fan campaign.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Love Jody!  Would be totally cool with Jody/Alex spin-off.  Just keep Claire far away :)  Hell, make Claire the S1 John Winchester, have Jody/Alex and others look for missing Claire only to find her and have her die in S1 finale 

17 hours ago, Kymmi said:

I love the idea of a female Supernatural spinoff and I will forever mourn that they killed Jo.

Me too "Sniff Sniff" she was awesome and she went out saving Dean's ass. Which he appreciated! The scene where she dies then Mama Ellen follows shortly after was sad :(

• Love 1

It reminds me of the Uncharted video game series, which I loved. Definitely going to see it. 

As much as I love the British dramas and procedurals that PBS imports, it's nice to see something in the action genre make it over here.

(edited)

Isn't Patti Murin married to Colin Donnell?...

'Frozen' the Musical Begins Rehearsing - First Photos!
MON, 19 JUNE 2017 AT 7:05 PM 
http://www.justjared.com/2017/06/19/frozen-the-musical-begins-rehearsing-first-photos/

Frozen the Musical is officially underway and we have photos from the first day rehearsal!

The cast includes Caissie Levy as Elsa and Patti Murin as Anna. They are joined by Jelani Alladin as Kristoff, Greg Hildreth as Olaf, John Riddle as Hans, Robert Creighton as Duke of Weselton, Kevin Del Aguila as Oaken, Timothy Hughes as Pabbie and Andrew Pirozzi as Sven.
The show is having an out-of-town run at the Buell Theatre in the Denver Center for the Performing Arts from August 17 – October 1. The show has a planned Broadway opening for the spring of 2018.

frozen-the-musical-photos.jpg

'Frozen' Broadway Cast Announced - Meet Elsa, Anna & More!
MON, 17 APRIL 2017 AT 2:23 PM
http://www.justjared.com/2017/04/17/frozen-broadway-cast-announced-meet-elsa-anna-more/

Patti Murin – Anna
frozen-4.jpg

Edited by tv echo

Hey anyone familiar with dogs- pet psychologist would be even better haha?

I have a little fox terrier and the last three days she's been behaving the only way I can describe it is restless and needy. She's been whining a lot more then she ever has, she can't seem to play with a toy for more then 5 minutes before looking restless and trying to find something else, and she has weirdly favoured a toy pig and takes it with her into every room. She's just behaving weirdly.

Im probably going to take her to the vet to make sure she's not sick but since she's the first dog I've owned I'm just curious if this is normal for dogs to occasionally being grizzly and whiny and Im just over thinking things (which wouldn't surprise me)?

The only other thing I can think of is that it's been colder lately or the fact that I have a relative who's in hospital so I haven't been home as much so she's been alone more then she's use to. 

11 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I'm probably off base, but my first thought is to wonder whether you've had her spayed. If not, possibly she's going into heat?

Not yet actually, so that's quite possible. I hadn't thought of that. Ive been meaning to get her fixed once she's a little older, she's about 18-19 months right now. 

9 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Ah ok.  Well then that definitely could be it then.  I'm sorry. :(  Living with a dog in heat is no fun.

Thanks for the suggestion. Ill probably take her to the vet still anyway just cause it's been a few months since her last check up, but I'm thinking you might be right. 

• Love 1
Just now, LeighAn said:

Thanks for the suggestion. Ill probably take her to the vet still anyway just cause it's been a few months since her last check up, but I'm thinking you might be right. 

Oh definitely.  Best to be sure.  Hope everything's ok. :)

• Love 1

I waited too long to spay my cat and she developed a uterine infection which required more surgery (and more cost) than if I had spayed her earlier.  My vet also told me that it's less dangerous to spay before the first heat because the blood vessels are smaller.  I also waited too long to neuter my male cat and he started attacking the other one, for which she's never forgiven him. (She has a very long memory)

I don't know about dogs so I looked on the internet.  At Cesar's Way, it said

Spaying females before 6 months is less controversial than neutering; preventing the first heat nearly eliminates the risk of breast cancer which is much more common than bone cancer.

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

Not yet actually, so that's quite possible. I hadn't thought of that. Ive been meaning to get her fixed once she's a little older, she's about 18-19 months right now. 

Is there some kind of advantage to waiting longer?  I was under the impression earlier was better once they were old enough.  (Avoids setting in stone behavioral problems that can come with not spaying or neutering.)  

I was just going to wait until she was two and more fully developed cause I figured that was safer. But again she my first pet I've ever owned out side fish and Guinea pigs when I was a little kid so my knowledge isn't huge. 

Dog update: but I think she might be sick. She hasn't thrown up but she started making gagging/throw up type noises and breathing heavily, and still won't leave her toy pig and insists on keeping it near her even if I pick her up and take her to another room she runs back to be near it (which is weird cause it's never been a particular favorite). I'm hoping my poor pup will be alright through the weekend as I don't think my vet is open ?

Is there an emergency vet you can take her too Leighan?

In Sydney we have one emergency 24 hour vet.

Try look for one?

Could she have eaten anything she wasn't supposed to eat?

Does she still have an appetite?

• Love 1
(edited)

There is but its a very long way from where I live and I'm still not sure at this stage that she is dire, but if I feel like she is looking worst for wear I will take her in.

She ate her dinner, she eats chicken necks and dry food and she snacked on a bit of my mums donut and a couple of potato crisps I was eating, which is fairly normal for her. I also gave her a doggy treat which she had no problem with. She's been outside to do her business and to have her daily excercise- I let her play with my excercise ball for about 20 minutes a day to exert some energy which she is like her favourite thing in the world. She didn't want to go for her walk though which she usually loves and gets excited about.

But I've been calling and bugging everyone I know who has dogs and looking up dog websites and freaking myself out with possible conditions she could have ? So there's a chance I'm that first time mother who overthinks things haha It has taught me that I need to get her spayed sooner rather then later though. 

Edited by LeighAn
(edited)

Haha I know the first time mother feeling. I bought my first baby (now a 12 yr old goldie) a custom bed that cost the earth which he didn't use! Then we ran aircon all summer while we went to work because precious only wanted to live inside. I worshipped the ground that dog walked one before my other babies arrived. He still has his own bedroom and I change his bed towels twice a week because he's old and loves freshly washed towels and I figure he hasn't got long left so I do whatever makes him happy. 

If she's eating and snacking that's a good sign! Refusal of food is really bad especially in a normally good eater. Good luck and keep us posted!

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 3

You sound like me. I buy her a new toy every couple of months, I let her sleep in my bed under the covers with her head on a pillow even though I bought her a dog bed, dog pillow, dog mat and dog kennel, I shampoo and condition once a fortnight myself and take her to the doggy groomer every three or so months, and my mother insist on telling everyone including total strangers the story of how she can't believe her daughter spent $40 on organic handmade blueberry dog treats.

So yes I relate to being that owner haha. I've probably raised a slightly spoilt pampered overly indulged occasionally demanding dog, ?even though she's got tons of personality and loves meeting and charming new people. Caesar would probably scold me haha. But my justification to my family when they give me crap is that hopefully I'm getting all those first time mother bad parenting traps out the way with my foxy so that I'll be better with an actual tiny human being ?

• Love 2

haha the husband and I swear by the BARF diet. But we used to go super crazy and grind down all his raw veggies in the food processor. He HATED the stuff! We also didn't believe in chicken bones from the butchers because we were worried they wouldn't have enough meat left on them so we'd buy whole chickens and remove part of the breasts to create these bones which we thought had the perfect meat to bone ratio. Then I'd grill the breasts for him on the weekend as a treat.

When the other kids came along he (and our little girl goldie) ate butcher chicken frames, necks etc and mummy steamed their veggies along with the human kid's veggies. No more fussing! 

I'm not a fan of Caesar. Reward reward reward was/is my motto. Positive parenting all the way for me (haha yes I'm one of THOSE parents).

The one thing I think I would be bad at if I got trained by Caesar is you know how you're suppose to ignore them when they get all excited when you come home. Like I would be Laurel Lance terribad at that haha.

• Love 1
(edited)

Barking orders won't train a dog

Experts say efforts to gain the upper hand over a dog could cause it mental trauma and have an impact on its long-term welfare.  A study claims pets that are trained using such ‘aversive’ techniques are far more likely to show symptoms of stress than those trained using more  positive methods.  It found that giving pets a treat as a reward for good behaviour and using a softer voice led to happier animals – and a better relationship with their owners.

The research, published in the Journal of Veterinary Behaviour, involved monitoring two dog training schools working with a cross-section of breeds and ages.  One relied primarily on ‘negative reinforcement’, in which pets were encouraged to perform tasks using harsh tactics such as having their collar pulled.  The other school involved ‘positive reinforcement’, with dogs receiving treats or being petted, praised and played with when they obediently performed a task.  The two groups were then observed undertaking simple tasks, such as being told to sit.

Sixty-five per cent of dogs trained using the negative reinforcement methods showed signs of stress – such as mouth-licking, shaking or whining – compared with just 8 per cent in the ‘positive’ group. Dogs trained with rewards were also far more likely to gaze at their owner – a sign of a healthy relationship.

Dr Florence Gaunet, from Aix Marseille University in France, who led the study, told the Sunday Telegraph: ‘What we noticed is that it was bad for the relationship to be trained “negatively”.  ‘These dogs were more likely to show a lower posture and more signs of stress.’

But Dr Roger Mugford, an animal psychologist and author of The  Perfect Dog, said relying on ‘positive’ training could lead to spoilt and badly behaved pets.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1

I knew it was 20 from many of the celebrations I've seen Libraries hosting. But it doesn't stop me from feeling old.

It's kind of amazing to think that so many generations have now been part of the special world she created. Little kids to middle age to older people have all been enveloped into JK's imaginary and powerful world with so many great characters and message. I hope it continues for many more generations.

I'm truly honored to call myself a part of the Potter Family. #Potterhead for life. #HarryPotter20HP20_Emoji.png

• Love 2

I think one of the things I'll be grateful for is that when Harry Potter book came out it was like an event. You got excited. You counted down the days till it came out. You discussed it with your friends at school or at work because they were all reading it to. I can't think of another book series before or after that had that kind of event factor or anticipation surrounding its release. 

Jk Rowling can be thanked for getting young kids to enjoy reading in a time when books and libraries were some what declining in interest.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

So I'm guessing they'll reboot the entire movie series in another 15 years? 

I can see them rebooting TBH. I read somewhere that there is talk of them rebooting the Twilight series already and that finished after Harry Potter films series ended from memory.

23 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

I can see them rebooting TBH. I read somewhere that there is talk of them rebooting the Twilight series already and that finished after Harry Potter films series ended from memory.

The Twillight series could only benefit from a reboot.  There was some truly terrible bad acting in that.  And if they condensed the films, maybe they'd be more interesting.  

It's like reporting a crime only because you really like the person who's being robbed? Like, I think 50 Shades of Grey is a piece of shit but if someone was plagiarizing it I would let the author's publisher know!

Grabbed this quote from over on the social media page but the only thing I wanted to do was point out the irony since basically it WAS plagerism IMO, lol.  It's insane how huge both of these mediocre series became.  

• Love 1

Ooh I'm ashamed to admit it but hubby and I went nuts over the Twilight books. We discovered them during the Christmas holidays so we holed ourselves in and read the books, passing them on to each other and discussing them. I was Team Jacob! He was Team Edward. 

The movies were terrible though! The people looked nothing like I imagined!