Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

12 hours ago, JenMD said:

First off, major Yikes to whatever comedy you were watching.  Wow, that's bad.  As for the being prepared, I'm remembering being in the theater watching Fried Green Tomatoes and bawling my eyes out with nary a tissue in sight.  I honestly had no idea I'd need them,, I just went because it sounded good and I loved the cast.  I've never gone to a movie since without tissues in my purse. Heh.

Fried Green Tomatoes is probably the only movie I ever went to theater and saw without knowing what to expect. (Yes I am dating myself by admitting I saw it in a theater, lol and the super duper cheap theater too!  Only $2!)  The trailer for it on TV had only been about Kathy Bates having a parking spot stolen from her and deciding to teach the "younger and faster" driver a lesson by ramming her car repeatedly cause she was "older and had more insurance"  Lol.  What a great surprise that whole move turned out to be.  It's one of those movies I just start watching anytime I stumble on it, no matter where it is in the movie.  

I did bawl during that movie as well, but because it was framed with Idggy (sp?) still alive and still telling her story, it wasn't in my mind, a tragedy. Not like the movies where oops, every one is dead at the end.  

• Love 3
(edited)

Movie prices are usually between $7-$14 around me.  The lower end range is more likely to be a matinee (before 5pm) price. though you can find that price still at older theaters that haven't converted to the reserved seating during peak hours.    My go to theater that has reserved seating (individual recliners.)  The regular sized screens, they charge $10.  For the "monster" sized screen they charge $12.  3D movies usually pop up the price a couple bucks.  

Pricing for houses HUGELY varies across the country.  And even within states.  I'm in a state called Minnesota (it's north and in the middle of the US) about an hour from the metro area.  

The median house price for one of the most affluent cities in my state comes in at $435,000.  There is no really bad part of the city in that city, lol.  You wouldn't get a mansion but $400,000 would get you a nice 3bed, 3bathroom, about 1800 Square ft.  But it likely will have an outdated kitchen and bathrooms.  Working, but not updated probably in the last 10-20 years, lol.  $600,000 to 800,000 probably would get you a lot more space and maybe an extra bedroom and bathroom  and probably all very nicely updated.  You also could easily drop millions if you wanted to in the best neighborhoods and the much bigger homes.  

If you go the more rural parts of the country, prices often are drastically lower.  But then jobs are also a lot harder to find or wouldn't pay much.  CA thought of as more expensive but it is big state and there are a lot of variances.  I think it all depends on where Antioch is.  It might be a lovely neighborhood.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Movie tickets by me are $6.50 for a matinee and go up to $14 for 3D. The threaters with the nice Lazy Boy chairs start at $12.

As @BkWurm1 mentioned housing prices vary by state. In the Northeast (NY, NJ, CT, MA) it's very expense, depending on the city you can pay $330K for a town home and $650k or more for a nice home. There are quite a few Million dollar homes by me.

Some states also have really high property taxes, I pay $7K in property tax and that's on the low end, I have cousins who are paying between $11-$15k a year. My cousin just sold her house and moved to Arizona. She was paying $20K in property taxes here and, is paying $2K out there (for a house that cost $300K more).

The housing prices fluctuate big time, before the bubble burst and, we entered the recession houses were insane.

Salaries also differ by state, California, Massachusetts, Hawaii and Alaska are among the states with highest annual income. Of course, cost of living in Hawaii and Alaska are extremely high as well. 

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

@Morrigan2575 is that tax just to live in it? 

We pay land tax on investment properties but the family residence is exempt.

$1 mil will buy you this old house (not even brick) in Sydney in a middleclass suburb that is far from Sydney CBD. 

https://m.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-nsw-sutherland-124184050

Yes, we pay property tax in my state for our main residence, which can be deducted come tax time (get some of it back). Property taxes on rental homes, vacation homes etc aren't tax deductible (as far as I know).

Looking at the currency converter that's about $745K USD. I could buy an awesome house for that much money where I live. I could buy a mansion with a ton of property for that much if I moved to another state. I couldn't buy squat in NYC for that.

I will say this, from looking at housing in Europe and Canada (Vancouver, thanks to 45) the US is big, big houses, big property, big cars, etc.  

• Love 1

In Chicago are movie tickets are $6.50 before Noon, $11 after Noon and $13 after 5pm. 3D movies are about $15. 

As for homes in the Chicago suburbs a 3 bedroom is around $400,000 to $600,000. If you move down to Southern IL you can get a 3 bedroom for $150,000. But you'd be surrounded by nothing. If you want to live in the city the Condos are the same price as the homes in the suburbs with some costing closer to a million with less space. I pay about 2k for my property taxes in the city its about 4k or higher depending on where in the city you are living. 

@Mellowyellow, if that's the price of an average house, how do people afford them?

Property taxes here are not too bad but always a topic of municipal discussion.  When they set up Canada, the federal and provincial governments were given the right to set taxes generally but the municipalities are only allowed to tax properties.  So they have to balance property taxes that people can afford with paying for public transit and police, fire and EMTs, and paving and everything else a city has to pay for.  They do get some money from the federal and provincial governments but every time one of those governments wants to balance the budget, they cut the money they give to municipalities.  Ontario cities are still trying to deal with the cuts Premier Mike Harris made in 1999 and begging for money for infrastructure.  It's especially absurd when you think that a city like Metro Toronto or Montreal has a population greater than 8 of the 10 provinces, or Vancouver greater than 6.  [/more than anyone wanted to know]

Movie tickets in a first run theater here are $12, $15 if it's 3D.  I live close to a little art deco theatre so I wait a few weeks and the movies are cheaper.

I live in a suburb of Maryland near D.C. and close to a university.   Property prices are around $370,000 and my property tax was around 7,000 annually.   I actually sold my home because it's cheaper to rent rather than own in my area if you don't have a fantastic job with dual income. 

Our movie tickets run about 14 if it's not a matinee,  I've never seen 3D.

Also Riverdale just dropped oon Netflix,  holy hell the male cast is gorgeous and I'm only 13 minutes in and the hot ginger is sleeping with his teacher.   Why did I wait so long to watch!?

• Love 1

Property affordability is a HUGE issue in Sydney and Melbourne @statsgirl

Those of us who are older (gen x, early gen y) bought our properties a decade ago when they were half price. Our kids are not going to be able to afford anything so most of us (well everyone I know) are scrimping to buy a second home for the kids. This probably makes things worse since the market is constantly hot.

Aussies are strange though. We just accept the going rate and keep buying. 

Rent is $600 a week upwards if you want something decent and inhabitable.

Vancouver property is ridiculously expensive.  You won't find much if anything under $1 million (almost par with Australian dollars or about $743,000 US).

Our movie prices aren't great, ranging from about $12 to $25 for the VIP theatres.  I'm not a fan of 3D since for the vast majority of movies it doesn't add much, but I'll happily pay the extra $3 to reserve my seat.  The last movie I was willing to wait in line for 2 hours for decent seats was Superman Returns; I'm too old to do that anymore.   Looking forward to Wonder Woman on Saturday!

(edited)
11 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I heard that houses in Vancouver are so unaffordable for many young families, the latest trend is for two families to get together to buy and share a  house.

And now I will eagerly await for that comedy to hit the theaters.  

But seriously, I can kind of see some advantages to that.  If you could stand them long term and there are no affairs between couples.  Maybe not a comedy. Maybe a horror flick.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

I heard that houses in Vancouver are so unaffordable for many young families, the latest trend is for two families to get together to buy and share a  house.

Fuck that noise,  I would legit end up murdering someone. 

Though Vancouver's high real estate prices finally answers my question,  because I watch a lot of hgtv and was completely baffled as to how all these young couples have like a nine hundred thousand budget when I'm almost thirty and that cost seems impossible to me. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Delphi said:

Though Vancouver's high real estate prices finally answers my question,  because I watch a lot of hgtv and was completely baffled as to how all these young couples have like a nine hundred thousand budget when I'm almost thirty and that cost seems impossible to me. 

And they usually don't have traditionally high paying jobs like surgeon or hedge fund manager, she's like a paint curator and he has a hobby business selling donkey fascinators or something. Either producer setup or money from parents? 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, leopardprint said:

And they usually don't have traditionally high paying jobs like surgeon or hedge fund manager, she's like a paint curator and he has a hobby business selling donkey fascinators or something. Either producer setup or money from parents? 

Or there is a considerable gap in age between the husband and his wife.  

• Love 2
(edited)
2 minutes ago, leopardprint said:

I pick apples on the weekend and he has a part time job as a goat pedicurest and our budget is 1.8 million dollars for our beach front dream house.

Edited by Delphi
  • Love 8

Anyone else having trouble with the site marking read threads that you haven't read yet?  I swear it's happened to me like 6 times since the finale, but most of the time I only realize it because someone quotes someone a few posts up thread of the "newest" post.     

For me, it tells  me there is a new post in a thread and it turns out to be mine.

If anyone watches Love It Or List It Vancouver, have you seen the one with Mike Dopud, who played Viktor, one of Oliver's Bratva buddies this season?  They lived in a house with a second floor that had no doors at all on the second floor, not even to the bathroom, and his wife was getting fed up with it considering they have three children.

I'll have to look for that one. (No doors? Yikes!)

i used to watch Love it or List it, but I tended to get too frustrated with it.  They always promise the moon and then yank the dreams away in the actual reno.  And always seem shocked that it happened again!  Its reality tv genes stand out negatively compared to the far more mellow House Hunters or Property Brothers.  

(edited)

Not surprisingly, the renov involved putting in doors.  And making a suite for her mother who lives with them, if I remember correctly.

Yeah, I hate the artificial drama on Love It Or List It.  But they do get free appliances.  There's a long from you have to fill out to apply to be on the show so I guess there are a lot of people who want on.  I know someone who worked on the reno crew and she couldn't believe that one family just left their cat there when they moved out.  No food or checking on it, just left the cat there for the workers to take care of.

I'm glad the Property Brothers have dropped the "That's how much this house costs??? But it's so far out of our price range!"  "Here, let me show you some fixer-uppers we can make just like that for less" schtick. People, if you didn't know the basic premise of the show, how did you get on it?

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1
On 5/24/2017 at 4:25 PM, scarynikki12 said:

Official Game of Thrones season 7 trailer is out and IT. LOOKS. AWESOME!

Just finshed season 6 and I'm SO FUCKING PUMPED for Season 7

On 5/27/2017 at 0:14 AM, BkWurm1 said:

I loved The Notebook but have come to realize I hate most of what Nicholas Sparks puts out.  I won't watch anything he does anymore.  I always hate the "twist".  So often they seem unnecessary to the plot.  And just a cheap emotional grab.  

I doubt it plays better in the book unless you like that kind of melodrama.  Me, not so much.  I always noped away from his stories just from the description on the back.  Now I don't even read past his name on the cover.   

Have you seen or read the book of The Choice? I was so expecting a sad ending that I was pleasantly surprised how the movie ended! I saw The best of me and I HATED that they Killed James Marsdens character.

I was bummed when I found out Nicholas Sparks got divorced. Was totally lamenting to hubby about how the mushy romance guy got divorced and that I thought he would have an epic love story in real life. Hubby was unsympathetic and said "Maybe that's why he wrote such good tragic romances, because he needed to channel his real life angst."

Me: Hey I write soppy fanfic and I'm chipper

Him: That's why you keep telling me that you can't write angst! 

On another note, I feel bad for you guys and your student loans! Is this the case in Canada too? We don't have to pay ours back unless we earn the certain amount of money and if we quit working, we don't have to pay it back. Are your student loan rates super cheap at least?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, jay741982 said:

Have you seen or read the book of The Choice? I was so expecting a sad ending that I was pleasantly surprised how the movie ended! I saw The best of me and I HATED that they Killed James Marsdens character.

No.  I've been burned too many times.  I hold a grudge.  

30 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

was bummed when I found out Nicholas Sparks got divorced. Was totally lamenting to hubby about how the mushy romance guy got divorced and that I thought he would have an epic love story in real life. Hubby was unsympathetic and said "Maybe that's why he wrote such good tragic romances, because he needed to channel his real life angst."

I'm even worse, I tend to suspect that he wrote his books to mock the whole romance genre since the first rule of the romance genre IS the happy ending.  So I just assume he had a crappy marriage (and it's his fault) and secretly hates everything to do with love and just writes on an ironic level. Lol. Did I mention I hold a grudge?  (Though oddly only against fictional stuff or people i won't ever meet)

36 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

On another note, I feel bad for you guys and your student loans! Is this the case in Canada too? We don't have to pay ours back unless we earn the certain amount of money and if we quit working, we don't have to pay it back. Are your student loan rates super cheap at least?

So envious.  And define cheap, lol.  

• Love 1
(edited)
6 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

No.  I've been burned too many times.  I hold a grudge.  

I'm even worse, I tend to suspect that he wrote his books to mock the whole romance genre since the first rule of the romance genre IS the happy ending.  So I just assume he had a crappy marriage (and it's his fault) and secretly hates everything to do with love and just writes on an ironic level. Lol. Did I mention I hold a grudge?  (Though oddly only against fictional stuff or people i won't ever meet)

So envious.  And define cheap, lol.  

hahaha you are hilarious! I am like that too! I hated Ginny for YEARS!!!! YEARS I tell you. And I will bitch about the ending of HIMYM to anyone or anything that can't escape from me. Oddly enough I am pretty zen in real life but am always "raging" about something fictional (and occasionally I get upset when my favourite contestant/s don't win the cooking show I'm watching so I quit watching as soon as they get eliminated)

Cheap is....1 to 3%? Within the inflation rate? We don't pay interest on our loans, they are indexed to inflation.

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 1

Cheap is....1 to 3%? Within the inflation rate? We don't pay interest on our loans, they are indexed to inflation.

Rates vary but I don't think I've seen anything that low.  More in the almost 4% to 6% something range.   Though my friend's daughter nearly took out a loan that was closer to the rates you'd pay for a credit card.  And she wanted her mom to co-sign.  Yikes.  

Oh and off topic but now every time I see a moth in the house I'm afraid we have the dreaded Pantry moth infestation.    

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Oh and off topic but now every time I see a moth in the house I'm afraid we have the dreaded Pantry moth infestation.    

And so you should be! They have the ability to ruin all your nice things like Susan Williams and the tenacity to hang around forever like Laurel Lance.

• Love 2

Nicholas Sparks almost never has a happy ending. There are endings with some potential to be hopeful in his story, but the main plot usually is a bittersweet/ tragic ending. It's just his thing. I guess that is what happens when a drug salesman decides to become a writer, has a little success and then mooches off his faulty formula. Then again people eat it up on screen and in print, so can't blame the guy for doing what works.

On another note - binged S3 of 12 Monkeys and it was so good!! Literally had to stay up way past my bed time to absorb and watch all the twisty twists work itself out. I will say that some where predictable in retrospect, but done well. It sort of felt like the predictability of ordering steak at a quality steakhouse. You knew what the dish would consist of, but the flavors still blew you away. Glad & sad that we only get one more season. Then again, I also think the quality of the show gets better with a tighter season. I really don't think the season could extend itself beyond a s4 without having some problems. I'm finding that I appreciate shows that know when they've run out of plot or at least are given the opportunity to have an official final season to wrap everything up.

• Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, kismet said:

On another note - binged S3 of 12 Monkeys and it was so good!! Literally had to stay up way past my bed time to absorb and watch all the twisty twists work itself out. I will say that some where predictable in retrospect, but done well. It sort of felt like the predictability of ordering steak at a quality steakhouse. You knew what the dish would consist of, but the flavors still blew you away. Glad & sad that we only get one more season. Then again, I also think the quality of the show gets better with a tighter season. I really don't think the season could extend itself beyond a s4 without having some problems. I'm finding that I appreciate shows that know when they've run out of plot or at least are given the opportunity to have an official final season to wrap everything up

Is it better than s2? Because I was quite disappointed with s2 after what I consider a really strong freshman season. The rules of time travel didn't make much sense and the Cole/Cassandra relationship wasn't as engaging as well. I also wasn't a fan of bringing Jones' daughter back and killing Deacon off in the finale (just when I started liking him).

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1

Tbh, I loved s2 and thought s3 was a bit of a step down because they added in an almost-literal deus ex machina and the twists weren't as compelling to me. But the acting was still on point and they have got some intense moments that I'd definitely stand by as some of the best in the entire series.

1 hour ago, FurryFury said:

killing Deacon off in the finale (just when I started liking him).

I'd watch s3 then if I were you.

(edited)
3 hours ago, FurryFury said:

Is it better than s2? Because I was quite disappointed with s2 after what I consider a really strong freshman season. The rules of time travel didn't make much sense and the Cole/Cassandra relationship wasn't as engaging as well. I also wasn't a fan of bringing Jones' daughter back and killing Deacon off in the finale (just when I started liking him).

It was paced better than s2 and I think held my attention more. I'm not a huge enforcer of time travel rules, so I honestly barely pay attention to them. As long as there are no egregious violations of logic or something they already stated could not happen, I'm pretty ok. There is a loophole to I believe causality in s3, that I was a little skeptical at first, but it makes for really good action scenes.

I never really had a problem with s2, except I thought they were spinning their plot wheels a little towards the middle and as a result some of the characters started to wear on me. I do not feel like that happens in s3. I enjoy all the characters again. TBH, I had no problem with Deacon being killed because he annoyed me in s2, as did Jennifer. That does not happen in s3, I don't want any of the cast to be killed off. I'm engaged in all of the character subplots. Jennifer is amazing in s3.

As for the Cassandra/Cole love story. I always liked that and rooted for it. However, I will say that s3 almost went out of it's way to both incorporate and avoid the relationship all together. So as a fan of the couple, I was given morsels of moments. But if I hated the pairing, I was not forced to watch it like in s2. It was very subtle. It also helps that they really did not make them against each other like they did for a lot of s2. I hate antagonistic stalling of a couple. Unless, the actors have powerful anti-chemistry it just makes for a rough show. Which these actors do not have. I think they have chemistry but its not compelling for will they/won't they and it's not powerful enough to carry the actual show. It's a pleasant addition to the narrative and show's tapestry, but it's not the whole show. That being said, it is essential to the main series's plot that they do have a physical relationship.

2 hours ago, way2interested said:

Tbh, I loved s2 and thought s3 was a bit of a step down because they added in an almost-literal deus ex machina and the twists weren't as compelling to me. But the acting was still on point and they have got some intense moments that I'd definitely stand by as some of the best in the entire series.

I could see that. I think the quality of the acting outweighed the predictability of the twists. Every character/actor seemed relevant and interesting. I also think because it was released to be binged, the twists were more like momentum builders than actual twists. I don't know if they would have held up in a traditional viewing of waiting a week to see what happens with the twists or cliffhangers. But because I had access to the next episode, I could just find out - it was more immediate gratification than a delayed appreciation. So in that regard, the twists didn't have to be as compelling to me - they just had to be interesting. It also felt like with each twist we were getting more resolution and less stall. It felt like the twists were actually helping to move the story and not just stretch out the plot.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, kismet said:

I could see that. I think the quality of the acting outweighed the predictability of the twists. Every character/actor seemed relevant and interesting. I also think because it was released to be binged, the twists were more like momentum builders than actual twists. I don't know if they would have held up in a traditional viewing of waiting a week to see what happens with the twists or cliffhangers. But because I had access to the next episode, I could just find out - it was more immediate gratification than a delayed appreciation. So in that regard, the twists didn't have to be as compelling to me - they just had to be interesting. It also felt like with each twist we were getting more resolution and less stall. It felt like the twists were actually helping to move the story and not just stretch out the plot.

It's not necessarily that the twists were too predictable, since me and my friend predicted the end of s2 

Spoiler

that the Witness was Cole and Cassie's kid from the future and that Cole and Cassie were going to be on opposite ends of wanting to kill him at some point

from the middle of the season, but more of that I didn't care about the twists. Like, s2's Groundhog Day-esque episode ending with the Jones' kid twist I liked not just because I didn't see it coming but because it questioned some of the motives of the entire series and was directly affecting the characters I cared about (Cole and Cassie who made the plan and Jones and Hannah who have to move forward with the consequences), and the s2 finale twist because it was directly concerning the relationship between the two main characters, not to mention the potential reactions of the rest of the cast once they found out. S3 twists weren't as interesting to me (except 

Spoiler

Cole killing Ramse, did NOT see that coming at all)

I think because they were concerning aspects/characters I didn't care about. Like, 

Spoiler

Athan fell in love with a girl and her death was the motivation for him turning to his evil destiny? I like the trope and thought it was well-executed, but still slightly disappointed that they just left it as the trope and didn't tie it more to Cole's decision to give up the life with the woman he loves to save the world

or 

Spoiler

Olivia's the real bad guy? So...we're essentially going back to s1? This is mainly me not really liking Olivia and thinking that it was more interesting to have the big bad be their kid rather than Olivia/Pallid Man/faceless Army of 12 Monkeys/etc.

Along with them falling back onto the secrets trope and separating the team again. Tbh though, a lot of it was just from my disappointment of not seeing enough of James Callis as the Witness or seeing him interacting with Cole or Cassie.

I feel bad since a lot of this sounds like me complaining, but it's actually just me nitpicking some of the story decisions. I really did love s3 (especially the Witness-centered episode, and that episode when they were all pulling off that heist at the auction) and think that just the long wait time between s2 and s3 gave me mixed up expectations and taking it all in one weekend just kind of messed up my usual pattern of watching the show. 

Along with them falling back onto the secrets trope and separating the team again. Tbh though, a lot of it was just from my disappointment of not seeing enough of the Witness or seeing him interacting with Cole or Cassie.

I don't mind the secret trope in shows like these because everybody has their own agenda in a conspiracy based save the world shows. So it's less secrets to me and just more hidden truths. I especially like it when the audience is not kept out of the loop. We know Cassie, Cole and Jones motivations and characters. So if there are secrets between them I don't mind, as long as the audience is in on the secrets.

Agree, that I wish we had seen more interaction between C/C & the witness. Although, I do think that is for s4. Funny thing happened, during the big Witness reveal, I looked away for a few seconds and thought the witness was

Spoiler

Ramses. And my mind was momentarily blown. Because it would make no sense, seem impossible but yet would be some crazy twist that the show could have potentially pulled off with proper writing. Imagine if Ramses had actually been Cole & Cassie's kid?? I didn't realize how much James Callis and the actor who played Ramses had similar bone structure. I do like James Callis as the Witness, I just wish it was not as rushed. We barely met him in s3. I did foresee Cole killing Ramses, way ahead of the plot so it wasn't a surprise. What would have been a surprise was if his death actually meant something to the plot. Instead it was just more unnecessary character building for Cole. And some plot/cast tidying. I mean don't get me wrong, I never really liked Ramses other than as a villain, so him dying was good news for me - I just wish it was more pivotal to the actual story arc.

2 hours ago, way2interested said:

I feel bad since a lot of this sounds like me complaining, but it's actually just me nitpicking some of the story decisions. I really did love s3 (especially the Witness-centered episode, and that episode when they were all pulling off that heist at the auction) and think that just the long wait time between s2 and s3 gave me mixed up expectations and taking it all in one weekend just kind of messed up my usual pattern of watching the show. 

Yeah, I see it more as nitpicking, not complaining :). Ultimately, I liked all 3 seasons of the show. And they all have been entertaining and enjoyable in their own way. None of them have been perfect. I think we just nitpick different things. Like I have no problem with the big villain being

Spoiler

Olivia or some other big bad faceless organization. I think the twist of thinking that the big villain was their kid and how that influenced their Coles & Cassies decision was enough for me. I also liked how Jones became their adversary again, and was duped by Olivia. I like Jones, but I never trusted her motives or her ability to properly fix problems. Her being played by Olivia to me felt enjoyable and justified. For an intelligent woman, she actually makes some dumb choices.

I just like the way s3, story corrected a lot of the characters that went astray for me in s2. It seemed to get everybody back on board for me. I feel like s2 faltered because they were trying to expand the narrative too much and now we are honing back down on the critical elements of the story. S2 made me dislike a lot of the characters (Cassie, Jennifer, Deacon & Ramses), and I far prefer a show where I an actively rooting for the characters.

• Love 1
Just now, kismet said:

I just like the way s3, story corrected a lot of the characters that went astray for me in s2. It seemed to get everybody back on board for me. I feel like s2 faltered because they were trying to expand the narrative too much and now we are honing back down on the critical elements of the story. S2 made me dislike a lot of the characters (Cassie, Jennifer, Deacon & Ramses), and I far prefer a show where I an actively rooting for the characters.

Ah, I think I get where you're coming from. And, despite what looks like our different perceptions of the seasons, looking back at it, I think that I can agree about that for s2. I think what it comes down to, for me (and what looks like a bit for you too), is that s3 had better character stuff and s2 had better plot stuff, so that once s3 kind of switched it up I kind of took it in a more negative way than you did since I didn't really mind the character stuff in s2 (except for keeping Cassie and Cole apart for like the entire season, that annoyed me too) and really liked the plot of s2. Looks like it's just a preference difference in this case.

3 minutes ago, kismet said:

Although, I do think that is for s4

Idk about that, since his "arc" is kind of said and done 

Spoiler

and he died, but then again he did have the magic words of "see you soon," and I think I heard that he will appear in s4. Also, from the s4 promo, it looks like Ramses will be back in s4 as well.

6 minutes ago, kismet said:

Ramses. And my mind was momentarily blown. Because it would make no sense, seem impossible but yet would be some crazy twist that the show could have potentially pulled off with proper writing. Imagine if Ramses had actually been Cole & Cassie's kid??

Oh man, I knew that Cole and Cassie's kid was the Witness at that point from their pointed sex scene and the beginning of the episode showing Cassie telling Cole he was going to be a father, and I still was fooled at the last minute because the dramatic music came as a reveal that the Pallid Man was there in Titan so for a second I thought he was the Witness and I was about to throw something at the tv because I was so mad.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, way2interested said:

Ah, I think I get where you're coming from. And, despite what looks like our different perceptions of the seasons, looking back at it, I think that I can agree about that for s2. I think what it comes down to, for me (and what looks like a bit for you too), is that s3 had better character stuff and s2 had better plot stuff, so that once s3 kind of switched it up I kind of took it in a more negative way than you did since I didn't really mind the character stuff in s2 (except for keeping Cassie and Cole apart for like the entire season, that annoyed me too) and really liked the plot of s2. Looks like it's just a preference difference in this case.

Idk about that, since his "arc" is kind of said and done 

Hide contents

and he died, but then again he did have the magic words of "see you soon," and I think I heard that he will appear in s4. Also, from the s4 promo, it looks like Ramses will be back in s4 as well.

Oh man, I knew that Cole and Cassie's kid was the Witness at that point from their pointed sex scene and the beginning of the episode showing Cassie telling Cole he was going to be a father, and I still was fooled at the last minute because the dramatic music came as a reveal that the Pallid Man was there in Titan so for a second I thought he was the Witness and I was about to throw something at the tv because I was so mad.

It might be preference difference, which is cool. Totally get that s2 was more plot driven and s3 more character driven. I tend to favor more character driven stories. I never like when the plot drives the characters to be different or OOC, which is what happened frequently for me in s2. I don't mind plot, I just hate when it takes a wrecking ball to preexisting characterization. I will say that s2 was vital to get us to s3, so as much as s2 felt very plot heavy, I appreciate it. I just prefer how s3 and s1 better blended character & plot.

As for the witnesses arc

Spoiler

He's alive in the end, Jennifer saves him. Or at least that it how I interpreted those final scenes. I don't think his story is done - even if he is dead. Ramses being alive in the final season actually would not surprise me either. Nobody ever truly dies on shows like these. And even if they do, the show can always revisit them via the magic of time travel.

The witness being Cassie & Coles kid was telegraphed almost as soon as the character was mentioned. But I was a little surprised that it was not someone we had not already met. I'm actually half expecting Olivia to be Athan's twin. Or for them to discover some other biological link between C/C and the 12 monkeys.

Personally, my one big wish for s4 is that they somehow get back to the virus, it feels like that part of the story has been lost in all the time travel & witness. It doesn't need to be a major arc, but it would be nice to readdress it. I often forget that Cassie was roped into all of this initially because of the virus and her job as a doctor.

Just now, kismet said:

Personally, my one big wish for s4 is that they somehow get back to the virus, it feels like that part of the story has been lost in all the time travel & witness. It doesn't need to be a major arc, but it would be nice to readdress it. I often forget that Cassie was roped into all of this initially because of the virus and her job as a doctor.

Spoiler

Patient Zero was in the promo for s4, so it looks like they'll be getting back to that, and the showrunner said that they'll touch on getting Cassie back to 2018 so she can die and that s4 will touch on how we get to the Cassie that died in Cole's arms back in s1

Just now, kismet said:

He's alive in the end, Jennifer saves him. Or at least that it how I interpreted those final scenes.

I meant he's dead after Jennifer saved him. After Jennifer nursed him back to life, he went back to Titan, saved Cole, Cassie, and Jones and then got caught by the army of the 12 Monkeys. Then he monologued to Olivia about how she's the Witness and how Cole and Cassie's team aren't alone and that's why they'll win, and Olivia killed him and that's the last time we see him.

Gah, putting everything in a spoiler tag is so off-putting.

• Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, way2interested said:
  Hide contents

Patient Zero was in the promo for s4, so it looks like they'll be getting back to that, and the showrunner said that they'll touch on getting Cassie back to 2018 so she can die and that s4 will touch on how we get to the Cassie that died in Cole's arms back in s1

I meant he's dead after Jennifer saved him. After Jennifer nursed him back to life, he went back to Titan, saved Cole, Cassie, and Jones and then got caught by the army of the 12 Monkeys. Then he monologued to Olivia about how she's the Witness and how Cole and Cassie's team aren't alone and that's why they'll win, and Olivia killed him and that's the last time we see him.

Gah, putting everything in a spoiler tag is so off-putting.

Forgot that... well I think his story will not be done. Either way, good stuff in store for s4. Thx for the info. Sucks about 2018.

Edited by kismet

Watching baseball tonight with my brother. We play a game within the game because it's baseball and it gets boring. We have a list of about 25 items we have to find in the crowd. One of the items we have to find is a superhero T-shirt, Batman is typical because it's baseball and there are usually a lot of Captain America shirts. Tonight right behind home plate were 2 men wearing Felicity Smoak shirts with the glasses. We both agreed she qualified as a superhero. Made the game much better since it's Wednesday night.

• Love 10