Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

OMG!!!! So the Hook/Emma shippers are going to get screwed??????

I totally respect her decision to move on but THE POOR SHIPPERS!!!!!!!

As a somewhat hysterical shipper I feel so bad for them!!!!!

6 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

OMG!!!! So the Hook/Emma shippers are going to get screwed??????

I totally respect her decision to move on but THE POOR SHIPPERS!!!!!!!

As a somewhat hysterical shipper I feel so bad for them!!!!!

They could write something so that they are together but forced for the time being apart and then could end with some spell being broken and them reunited but in my experience that's not satisfying and if the show got renewed for a number of more seasons, they would eventually abandon that route so they could pair Hook romantically with someone actually ON the show.  (or so I'd assume).  So disaster all around IMO.  

(edited)
7 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Castle didn't get renewed without Beckett. If Once Upon a Time gets renewed without Emma, I'll be very surprised. 

The wild card is how popular the Evil Queen remains.  In recent years OUaT basically was a two hander with a large supporting cast. (It was always IMO a two hander between Emma and Regina but in the last few years both were "heroes")  It would be a pretty smooth transition to the reduced cast list if Hook was also exiting the show.  Can't neatly tie up their stories if Hook sticks around.  

Edited by BkWurm1
(edited)

I would think it depends on whatever career move the actress wants to make panning out. If she can't get a movie career going or land another show, she might come back? (sounds familiar...)

Though OUAT has all those beloved Disney characters are its disposal, it is very rebootable. 

Edited by leopardprint

She was on House and then the lead on OUaT. I doubt she'd have problems landing a new gig and needing to haunt her old show. Plus it was her decision to quit right?

Nina Dobrev never came back except for the finale.

Only person I can think who came back was Michael Shanks. Did he haunt them or did they want him?

I don't watch OUAT, but that was a lovely message from JM. It showed a lot of respect to the fans. It reminded me of when Hilarie Burton left OTH and recorded a message to the fans explaining that decision.

• Love 2
(edited)

Given that Jennifer Morrison tweeted that she would not be back, I think the odds of the show getting renewed are good. Otherwise, why bother?

I'm really going to miss her (I've been a fan since House) but I understand her decision. She's 37, which is getting old for a female lead. She's also moving into directing.  She's just finished directing a movie, Sun Dogs, starring Melissa Benoiste and Michael Anganaro with Alison Janney Ed O'Neill and JR Ramirez (remember him?) and written by one of the writers on Warrior.

1 hour ago, kariyaki said:

Castle didn't get renewed without Beckett. If Once Upon a Time gets renewed without Emma, I'll be very surprised. 

I think the situations are different though.

OUaT was already planning a reboot if it got renewed, making the show not around Emma as the Saviour but around

Spoiler

a young boy,

so I've heard.  I think they were running out of the Disney tropes.  The plan was the have the Charmings and other characters back occasionally but send the show in a different direction.  I don't loss of Emma is catastrophic and they could easily write her as going off somewhere.

Castle was completely different. The show was called Castle but really it was Castle& Beckett.  In the last season the new showrunners separated Castle & Beckett, maybe to try out what a show around just Castle would be like.  It didn't go over well.  At all.

The decision not to rehire Stana Katic was ABC's to cut costs, not Katic's.  (Which seems stupid to me because she couldn't be costing that much.)  That caused a huge social media reaction with a fandom already pissed off with the seaon, getting rid of not only the female M.E. but also the show' s female lead.  After that, I guess ABC just decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

Edited by statsgirl
2 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Castle was completely different.

But they're the same in that the bottom line is whether ABC thinks the show will be viable without its female lead. I don't think the behind the scenes stuff of who decided to leave which show is of any concern to the network. And Castle was cheap. OUaT is expensive to produce and the show's lead actress is out. That seems to be a very big check mark in the "No" category.

If OuaT reboots into a different protagonist and mythos, then Emma would no longer be the female lead.  The Evil Queen would be much more useful to them, but even she could be replaced by someone like Malificent.

If ABC thought that Castle would be viable with its female lead, they could have renewed her contract.  Katic said she was willing to come back, it was the studio who didn't want her.

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

But they're the same in that the bottom line is whether ABC thinks the show will be viable without its female lead. I don't think the behind the scenes stuff of who decided to leave which show is of any concern to the network. And Castle was cheap. OUaT is expensive to produce and the show's lead actress is out. That seems to be a very big check mark in the "No" category.

And yet they've already signed a new series regular for S7 and are close to closing a deal with Lana and Robert. 

I doubt they'd still be signing people for S7 if they ABC hinted at no JMo no renewal. Especially since JMo made the decision (and announced it to cast/crew) months ago. 

4 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

And yet they've already signed a new series regular for S7 and are close to closing a deal with Lana and Robert. 

I doubt they'd still be signing people for S7 if they ABC hinted at no JMo no renewal. Especially since JMo made the decision (and announced it to cast/crew) months ago. 

Yes, but that's the production side. It's not the same entity as the network. Same thing happened with Castle. They signed Fillion but not Katic and in the end it was a moot point because the network passed. 

• Love 1
(edited)

IIRC, Castle resigned almost all the regulars except for Katic and the actress that played Lanie before the network decided not to renew.

Here's the tvline article about it.

But considering there are only 4 dramas on ABC that are renewed/likely renewed, it's not too surprising they're trying to salvage OuaT

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 1
(edited)
29 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Yes, but that's the production side. It's not the same entity as the network. Same thing happened with Castle. They signed Fillion but not Katic and in the end it was a moot point because the network passed. 

This isn't the same a a castle. Not even close. The closet comparison is Nina Debrov exiting The Vampire Diaries. 

OUAT is an ensemble show it can go on without JMo  just like TVD  went on for 2 seasons without Nina Debrov.

You also missed the point. JMo told the cast and crew months ago that she wasn't coming back. That means the network knew she wasn't coming back. IF the network thought the show wasn't viable without JMo they would have told the EPs to plan for a series finale.

Whatever decision ABC will make about OUT next year it has nothing to do with JMo resigning and everything to do with money/pilots/Disney.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
(edited)

If everyone knew months ago that she wasn't returning, why all the news articles about ABC planning a reboot of the show with those four actors (Morrison, Parilla, Carlyle, and O'Donoghue) and that deals with them were being worked on?  If they already knew she wasn't returning, they wouldn't have been talking about working out a deal with her for a seventh season.  

Edited by Starfish35
Spelling
(edited)
1 hour ago, Starfish35 said:

If everyone knew months ago that she wasn't returning, why all the news articles about ABC planning a reboot of the show with those four actors (Morrison, Parilla, Carlyle, and O'Donahue) and that deals with them were being worked on?  If they already knew she wasn't returning, they wouldn't have been talking about working out a deal with her for a seventh season.  

The reboot has been talked about for awhile now. Go check out the OUAT board or Spoilertv. This isn't new. We've known for months that JMo, Robert, and Lana were in negotiations. We've also known for awhile, from Paps that Ginny and Josh were out. There were also rumors from Paps in March that JMo signed for a part time role in S7.  There was also a video posted in the OUAT board from a Con, I believe in March and a tweet from a crew member around the same time (towards JMo) that sounded very much like a goodbye. Some people thought it meant the show had been canceled. My interpretation was that JMo had decided not to resign. 

I'll try find the tweet and the video in a bit.

Edited by Morrigan2575
(edited)

I'm just talking about this from March 10.

Once Upon a Time stars Jennifer Morrison, Lana Parrilla, Robert Carlyle and Colin O’Donoghue are currently in negotiations to extend their contracts for a potential Season 7, TVLine has learned.

http://tvline.com/2017/03/10/once-upon-a-time-season-7-morrison-parrilla-carlyle-o-donoghue-contracts/

They wouldn't be in negotiations with her if they already knew she wasn't going to come back.  Now obviously somewhere between then and now the negotiations didn't work out, but still. 

Edited by Starfish35
(edited)
4 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

She was on House and then the lead on OUaT. I doubt she'd have problems landing a new gig and needing to haunt her old show. Plus it was her decision to quit right?

Nina Dobrev never came back except for the finale.

Only person I can think who came back was Michael Shanks. Did he haunt them or did they want him?

Lol.  In a way it was everything.  Season five was supposed to have been the end of Stargate-SG1 so part of it was Shanks had already lined up a number of guest spots on other shows and I think some low budget movie.  Add to him not loving how his character had been used and he decided not to resign and they killed him off (sort of) in the most heart wrenching way and oops, replaced him with kind of the guy that got him killed.  That didn't really endear new guy though I'm sure many liked him just fine.  Shanks also never completely left since he was still doing a voice over for one of the little grey aliens and was in two episodes in season six.  But that season was not really well received ( I still have happily not watched most of it- the dynamic was just off)

A year later Shanks was in a head space ready to come back.   The fans made a big fuss  about saving his character in an era when that was still uncommon and it sounded like if nothing else, their enthusiasm may have had an effect on Shanks wanting to return.  And the show snatched him up and dumped new guy lickety split so I think it ended up being an all around mutually desired thing.  

2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

This isn't the same a a castle. Not even close. The closet comparison is Nina Debrov exiting The Vampire Diaries. 

OUAT is an ensemble show it can go on without JMo  just like TVD  went on for 2 seasons without Nina Debrov.

You also missed the point. JMo told the cast and crew months ago that she wasn't coming back. That means the network knew she wasn't coming back. IF the network thought the show wasn't viable without JMo they would have told the EPs to plan for a series finale.

Whatever decision ABC will make about OUT next year it has nothing to do with JMo resigning and everything to do with money/pilots/Disney.

No, it's not the same as Castle.  It was ridiculous that Castle even contemplated a reboot or reinvention of itself without her but I tend to look at endings of a show as satisfying or not by whether my ship survived to the end, lol.  So from that aspect if Emma was out and Hook was in, I would expect that to mess up the ship.  VPDiaries could be the model used to preserve the ship, separating them but not breaking them up, but JMo said she'd only be back for one episode if it got renewed.  I presumed that would be her character's send off.  Which means getting a HEA reunion might never happen if she's too busy or the writing took Hook in a different direction.  And even as a casual and lapsed fan, that bums me out.  

34 minutes ago, calliope1975 said:

To my non-surprise, Frequency and No Tomorrow were cancelled. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/frequency-no-tomorrow-canceled-at-cw-1001320

Both shows that were IMO so much better than they ever got credit for.  No Tomorrow got me through Arrow's very depressing 5A.  It was such a happy, fun show even with the end of the world being on the table, lol.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Starfish35 said:

I'm just talking about this from March 10.

http://tvline.com/2017/03/10/once-upon-a-time-season-7-morrison-parrilla-carlyle-o-donoghue-contracts/

They wouldn't be in negotiations with her if they already knew she wasn't going to come back.  Now obviously somewhere between then and now the negotiations didn't work out, but still. 

March was months ago, 2 to be exact. Like I said, we've known since March that those 4 were in negotiations. I've never said that ABC knew all year or anything like that but, it's been obvious since end of March that JMo was questionable and that was to fans so yeah the Studio probably knew a bit earlier.

We've also known that Ginny/Josh were leaving since end of March. There was also rumors (early April?) That Emily was not asked back.

Rumors have been going around for awhile now that JMo wasn't coming back or only coming back part time.

The reboot talks also started in March, which is right around the time that negotiations began and the EPs pitched S7 to the network.

VPDiaries could be the model used to preserve the ship, separating them but not breaking them up, but JMo said she'd only be back for one episode if it got renewed.  I presumed that would be her character's send off.  Which means getting a HEA reunion might never happen if she's too busy or the writing took Hook in a different direction.  And even as a casual and lapsed fan, that bums me out.  

I don't care about Captain Swan so it doesn't matter to me what happens to them but there's nothing in JMo's comment the eliminates a HEA. For all I know she's agreed to come back for the series finale. I'll give JMo the benefit of the doubt that she'd keep to her word.

Edited by Morrigan2575

It's OUaT -- they can easily write Emma being frozen in amber or something and then they spend the rest of the season looking for her.  Or it's time sensitive so they wait until the clock runs down.

JMo has always been very respectful of fans; if they want her back for the finale for a HEA I can't imagine she wouldn't come back.

• Love 2

BTW this is from the Deadline article TV Echo posted in the Mind Your Surroundings Thread

Also expected to come back is veteran Once Upon a Time, which is in a process of negotiating deals with four cast members who would lead a planned reimagining, Jennifer Morrison, Lana Parrilla, Robert Carlyle and Colin O’Donoghue. The show also has been signing high-level writer-producers for next season. 

http://deadline.com/2017/05/bubble-series-2017-canceled-renewed-elementary-exorcist-taken-once-upon-a-time-agents-of-shield-1202085630/

If anyone is interested what the reboot of OUaT would look like, here is the casting news from Feb 15th.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Dungey similalry suggested that Season 7 could offer “a springboard in a new direction from a narrative standpoint,” in a talk with EW.com. “[That] doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re not bringing cast back, it’s just: How do you kind of hit the reset button in a way that gives you opportunity to expand the stories that we’re telling?”

Along those lines, TVLine now has a first bit of intel on how the series’ current run (resuming Sunday, March 5) will end, and in doing so tee up any possible Season 7.

Namely, the May finale will introduce a pair of guest stars, both of whom have the potential to join the ensemble as series regulars if the show moves forward. First up, the fantasy drama is casting a “strong yet vulnerable” leading man in his late 20s to mid-30s, a gent who was once optimistic and hopeful but now is a friendless, cynical recluse. That said, he still possesses a dormant, deep-seated spark of hope that waits for the right person to reignite it.

The other role being cast is a precocious 10-year-old with a “constant twinkle of mischief in her eye.” And though this girl comes from a broken home, those struggles have only made her stronger — something which will come in handy when darkness threatens “everything she holds dear.” And while the character breakdown notes that this lass “never lets the hard knocks of life get her down,” you would be wrong to guess that she is a certain little orphan named Annie.

I'm over here hoping they announce Once is cancelled.  This show has treated Emma Swan like shit for years now, almost always in favor of Regina and doesn't deserve to go on without her.  This was supposed to be her fairytale but it became yet another show where the villains always win, their victims become their cheerleaders, and the heroes are held to standard that cannot be met.  Instead of changing the focus from Emma's tale to Regina's instant "redemption", ABC should have just given Lana her own show.  That's how you take advantage of an actor's sudden popularity.  But they didn't do that so we got years of Emma being passed over in favor of the woman who ruined her life, even by her own parents.  I do take pleasure in the fact that this season still lost viewere even though it was All Regina All The Time (with a side plot of Rumpel's Evil Deeds Being Excused By Belle.  Again).  I can't see how they won't continue to lose viewers without Emma so I'm Team Cancellation. 

• Love 3

I'm not even sure I'm gonna tune in for the finale,  honestly.   This was the first good episode in a long while.   Captain Swan are married,  everyone is happy.   Fade to black.   Did they defeat the Black Fairy,  sure they did.   How,  I'm not concerned,  they did it though.   Everything is awesomesauce.

• Love 1

Interview with Jennifer Morrison about her decision not to return for season 7:

TVLINE | When did you first let Adam and Eddy know that you might not be re-signing this spring?
It’s one of those things where until there was a decision on the table to make, I had no idea what my instinct was going to be. You can’t assume that they’re going to invite you back, and you can’t assume that there’s going to be a Season 7.  So until I knew that there was even a decision to make, I kind of pushed it out of my mind a bit. And then once the decision was real, I did have strong feelings right away, that I had to sort through.

Obviously I love the show, I love the character, I love Eddy and Adam, I’m very close with some of the cast…. It’s a tricky decision to make, because all those things are very attractive. But the other side of that is I did six years on House, I did a year on How I Met Your Mother, I did six years of Once Upon a Time — that’s collectively 13 years of network television back-to-back, which is a-ma-zing and the best thing that’s ever happened to me, but it’s a grueling schedule. I don’t know if everybody realizes that we work 16 to 18 hours a day, and being in Vancouver for the show meant flying every weekend trying to barely see my friends and family every once in a while. For six years, I was on average taking 100 flights a year.

It’s worn me down in a certain way, and it made me stop and think about where I was at in my life and what I wanted and what my priorities were. As much as I love the show, I ultimately had to do what was right for me, and I need to be home. I need to be in New York in L.A., I need to be around my family and friends and have a chance at a personal life, and to have opportunities to do new things creatively. So I’m ready for the new challenges       [snip]

TVLINE | Of course a lot of our readership this morning has said, “No Emma, no Jen, no Once for”—
[Interrupting] I hope that’s not true! I have no interest in this being the end of the show. I care about everybody involved so much. I want to see it continue, and I really meant it when I said [on Instagram] that I will watch the show and I hope everybody watches with me. It’s very sweet, the loyalty—

There's a lot more.  Basically, if you like Jennifer Morrison, you'll still like her after reading it.

• Love 5

I think she is a sweetheart and really hard working. On House, she was the one the rest of the cast went to to explain the medical terminology because like Amanda Tapping on Stargate, she translated all the scientific babble into English so that she could understand it in order to say it properly.  She produced a short movie during the second season of the show and she'd run form being on set to going to the phone to make arrangements.

It must have been hard spending so much time on Vancouver when her family is in Chicago and her friends in LA. She's currently in rehearsal for an Off-Broadway play written by and also starring Matthew Perry called The End of Longing..

6 hours ago, statsgirl said:

It's OUaT -- they can easily write Emma being frozen in amber or something and then they spend the rest of the season looking for her.  Or it's time sensitive so they wait until the clock runs down.

JMo has always been very respectful of fans; if they want her back for the finale for a HEA I can't imagine she wouldn't come back.

Well that's encouraging at least.  :)

(edited)

Deadline interview with JM...

Jennifer Morrison On Why She Is Leaving ‘Once Upon a Time’, Emma’s Final Battle & What’s Next
Nellie Andreeva •  May 8, 2017
http://deadline.com/2017/05/jennifer-morrison-leaving-once-upon-a-time-emmas-swan-whats-next-1202087274/ 

Morrison made her decision not to continue awhile back and shared it with the series’ producers but it was not made public until after last night’s musical/wedding episode, in which Emma and Hook got married.

“(The producers) wanted to be careful to protect especially the musical episode, they wanted to withhold the information for a little while because they didn’t want to spoil the experience of the storytelling for the fans,” Morrison said. “Honestly I think they would’ve loved to have held it until the season finale but it was getting to the point where the information was in the universe and it was about to come out.”

In her Instagram post, Morrison said that she will return for one episode if Once is renewed for a seventh season. Would she be open to doing more?

“All I can say is that I only negotiated for one episode, and that’s all I can promise at this point,” she said.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

From Sunday's OUaT musical episode (which I enjoyed) - warning: spoiler at end if you haven't watched it yet - given the news of Jennifer Morrison's departure from the show, I felt compelled to post this...

A Happy Beginning 6x20 Once Upon A Time - Musical Episode
Published on May 7, 2017, by Lauren Once Upon A Time

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

If you thought Josh Dallas sounded more trained in singing than the other actors on OUaT (which I did), there's a reason for that. Per his IMDb page, he was born in Louisville, Kentucky, and attended New Albany Senior Public High School, where he was heavily involved in the school's performing arts programs. At age 16, he received a full ride scholarship given to one American student every three years to study acting at the prestigious Mountview Conservatoire for the Performing Arts in London, England. At age 20, he landed his first professional job as an actor with the acclaimed Royal Shakespeare Company. He then went on to perform with the Royal National Theatre, The English National Opera, The New Shakespeare Company and The Young Vic. Also, the following video clip of him singing in a musical production of On the Town has been circulating on youtube for awhile (venue unknown)...

Josh Dallas: On the town
Published on Mar 1, 2012, by ViolettkaVi

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Josh and Ginny surprised me. I was told Colin sang in a band so I wasn't shocked he could sing but, also wasn't that impressed.

I thought Bex was the best as far as song goes and she has a great voice too. JMo blew me away, I still keep questioning if it was her (I googled) because it was so lovely. Lana was the weak link.

(edited)

A Guide to 2017’s Broadcast TV Renewals and Cancellations
Here's which shows will—and won't—make it to next season
By Jason Lynch   May 8, 2017
http://www.adweek.com/tv-video/a-guide-to-2017s-broadcast-tv-renewals-and-cancellations/

THE CW

Freshman Series:
Frequency — CANCELED (May 8)
No Tomorrow — CANCELED (May 8)
Riverdale — RENEWED (March 7)
Supergirl — RENEWED (Jan. 8)

Returning Series:
Arrow — RENEWED (Jan. 8)
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend — RENEWED (Jan. 8)
DC’s Legends of Tomorrow — RENEWED (Jan. 8)
The Flash — RENEWED (Jan. 8)
iZombie —  COULD GO EITHER WAY
Jane the Virgin — RENEWED (Jan. 8)
The 100 — RENEWED (March 10)
The Originals — RENEWAL MORE LIKELY THAN CANCELLATION
Reign — CANCELED (Dec. 7)
Supernatural — RENEWED (Jan. 8)
The Vampire Diaries — CONCLUDED after eight seasons (July 23, 2016); final episode aired March 10

Edited by tv echo

I'm surprised they renewed Taken. Its ratings were lower than Timeless and it had less online buzz. It's also another gritty secret agent show, which NBC has already has 3 of that get better ratings. 

27 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

I'm surprised they renewed Taken. Its ratings were lower than Timeless and it had less online buzz. It's also another gritty secret agent show, which NBC has already has 3 of that get better ratings. 

Taken was probably cheaper to produce than Timeless. 

• Love 1
On 5/8/2017 at 4:31 PM, calliope1975 said:

To my non-surprise, Frequency and No Tomorrow were cancelled. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/frequency-no-tomorrow-canceled-at-cw-1001320

Riverdale was the only new show renewed by CW I believe and it's based off a comic book plus they greenlighted Black Lighting another Comic book show. 7 comic book shows LOL CW is the Comic book Network. I LOVE Riverdale so I'm glad it was renewed a couple months ago.

On 5/8/2017 at 6:36 PM, Starfish35 said:

So freaking pumped! I'm hoping Shules are married or getting married in this movie. And of course the most important thing I want it to be like the Psych I loved 

(edited)
39 minutes ago, jay741982 said:

I LOVE Riverdale so I'm glad it was renewed a couple months ago.

Yeah, Riverdale is my surprise favorite new show.  Somehow they do DRAMA in the best possible way and it's so pretty to watch.  I love the ensemble cast.  There isn't a character that I don't enjoy even if it's just love to hate.  (But mostly it's just just love even when I should hate them)

Edited:  Actually I did hate Miss Grundy but they booted her from the show a long time ago.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1