Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Someone tell me if we are allowed to discuss this out of spoiler tags since it's aired! 

You wouldn't be breaking any rules but personally I'd give it a lot longer before I'd discuss such a pivotal episode outside of the VD forum, just in case someone just hasn't had a chance to see it or is still binging the other seasons/episodes.   

I was planning on watching the episode but was unable too. It's been so long since I've seen an episode, the recaps were confusing. Lol

I found the KW and JP interviews more interesting than the finale. The idea of going back to Stelena but being locked into Delena because ND left, more Klaroline, etc. 

8 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Wasn't one  DE shipper and the other a SE shipper?

I actually think we've had it pretty good. The maggot LI this season is ghastly but at least no one ships her (I think).

KW is SE and JP is DE I think. 

50 minutes ago, Chaser said:

I found the KW and JP interviews more interesting than the finale. The idea of going back to Stelena but being locked into Delena because ND left, more Klaroline, etc. 

Wait, that was the reason? I only read the TVLine interview and I don't think they mentioned this at all.

I am more of a wagon wheel girl than a Tim tam fan. They grow lychees here, (did you know that fresh lychees are pink skinned when first picked, then darken, so pink is ultra fresh) after years of eating (gorging) on fresh lychees I can't enjoy them any other way, certainly not in a Tim tam. I notice that those different ones end up discounted after a while to get rid of them.

i think the funniest American export has to be Dr Pepper, they have tried to introduce it into Australia three times now, and each time it's jus bombed spectacularly. Pop tarts too, they sporadically turn up on the shelves then disappear for a year or two before they try again.

9 hours ago, LeighAn said:

I use to love mmmbop when I was little and what's worst I still kind of like it on the rare occasions it's played on radio. I'm thoroughly ashamed of my life choices.

That's one of those songs that comes on in the supermarket when your getting groceries all distracted until you realise that your singing along, that apparently you know all the words and that your not exactly being quiet either.

i was shocked that I knew all the words to Slim Dustys 'Pub with no Beer'. I am not a fan of country music and that song is super old, I didn't even know I knew it, until I found myself belting out in the frozen food section.

Please tell me that other people find themselves accidentally singing along to the cheesy music they play in shops.

• Love 1

Diet Dr. Pepper may be the best diet pop made.  But I suppose you have to like reg Dr. Pepper to appreciate that first.

Spoiler alert. It doesn't taste like pepper.  

And I can't believe Pop Tarts didn't make it.  I don't actually toast them but love them as the occasional sweet treat.

I do like a bit of lychee ice cream sometimes and a lychee ice blend drink at Din Tai Fung (hmmm do you guys have DTF in the US and Canada?)

Ooh Pop tarts are terrible! So sweet! I eat cake with a cup of tea in the morning sometimes and I can't handle a pop tart.

Vegemite.  How is it supposed to be eaten?  I've heard that often people think it's supposed to be like peanut butter and that's where people go awry, spreading it too thick, but how is it supposed to be eaten?

2 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

I do like a bit of lychee ice cream sometimes and a lychee ice blend drink at Din Tai Fung (hmmm do you guys have DTF in the US and Canada?)

Ooh Pop tarts are terrible! So sweet! I eat cake with a cup of tea in the morning sometimes and I can't handle a pop tart.

I have no idea what a lychee is, lol.  Or Din Tai Fung.  :)

Not all Pop Tarts are good.  And the knock offbrands are terrible. Like sweetened chemicals. I like the Brown Sugar Cinnamon, the Cherry, and the Blueberry but never toasted.  I agree they are too sweet when toasted. 

28 minutes ago, MaisyDaisy said:

Please tell me that other people find themselves accidentally singing along to the cheesy music they play in shops.

Did you have a toddler during the Justine Clarke years?

I have been know to wheel my trolley around Coles (alone no toddler) belting Watermelon in the fresh food aisle.

And you should see me at a Playschool concert! OMG I lose my sh$t and embarrass my son. Saw Teo last year and almost died! When they launch into "Theres a bear in there" I get so excited I'm beside myself. Brings back memories of growing up and watching Playschool when I first came to Australia.

Edited by Mellowyellow

qcUX6D11QQI0d9TmgCNonsZIinv6I7dndN2PhrxW

Lychee

8 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Vegemite.  How is it supposed to be eaten?  I've heard that often people think it's supposed to be like peanut butter and that's where people go awry, spreading it too thick, but how is it supposed to be eaten?

I am a bad Aussie I think Vegemite is gross. 

My friends eat it with butter on toast or with cheese in a sandwich.

They also make vegemite scrolls here. 

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, MaisyDaisy said:

That's one of those songs that comes on in the supermarket when your getting groceries all distracted until you realise that your singing along, that apparently you know all the words and that your not exactly being quiet either.

i was shocked that I knew all the words to Slim Dustys 'Pub with no Beer'. I am not a fan of country music and that song is super old, I didn't even know I knew it, until I found myself belting out in the frozen food section.

Accidentally.  On purpose.  One of the two is always happening. Lol

I also embarrass my niece constantly with this habit of singing lyrics back to her when she just accidentally says it in conversation.  I've infected her mother with the habit now as well, hahahaha. 

• Love 2

What is a "scroll"? (apart from rolled up paper.)

I recently heard Vegemite described as tasting like salt that had gone bad, lol.  But it gets sold.  So someone must like it. Unless it's one of those foods that is more like a dare.  We have something here called lutefisk.  Never will I go near that stuff and I don't know anyone that has and yet any time someone talks about Minnesota, it gets brought up.   

Edited by BkWurm1

I actually crave Vegemite sometimes, I think it's the salt or the B vitamins.

vegemite should be eaten with butter, just a thin smear because it's quiet strong. I do like it on toast with cheese, some people eat it with avocado on toast, I like it best on a fresh crusty baguette with heaps of butter.

i think Aussies are so used to fresh pastries because there is a bakery on every corner, so things like pop tarts that I found shockingly sugary don't do too well. 

• Love 1

Yeah Pop Tarts is something I mostly think of as vending machine food. 

1 minute ago, Mellowyellow said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2HUieQgU_4L6b8DKDa1S

Do you guys really not rinse out toothpaste after you brush? Doesn’t it feel all foamy and toothpastey?

Oh, we'd probably call those rolls.  Though they look a lot like sticky buns as well.

I've never heard of not rinsing after brushing.

Christmas in July.  How big of a thing is that really?  Do most people celebrate twice a year?

5 hours ago, Chaser said:

KW is SE and JP is DE I think. 

That is correct.  

I liked the finale, it hit all the right emotional chords that a series finale should hit.

Spoiler

I loved seeing all the old characters (dead and alive) back even if they were just cameos.

I was sad that Stefan died because I liked him and I loved Steroline. Plus it'sreally sad for Caroline, she's the last Vampire (of her friends) everyone else, will eventually die and she'll be alone. I think that's part of the reason for the Klaus letter.

I did love that the end solidified Damon/Stefan as the true love story of the series. I always thought that the brother's relationship was the heart of the show.

• Love 1

I was surprised at how sad I was seeing the Vampire Diaries end. I hadn't watched it in years but the retrospective before the finale reminded me of how good it had been. It just went on too long and they ran out of ideas many seasons ago. One thing they did do well were love scenes. Their actors knew how to film a passionate kiss. That one with Damon and Elena at the motel was something. Or the first time they slept together. We'll never see that on Arrow. I don't imagine Arrow writers have ever had a make your knees weak kiss. Frankly I'd be surprised if they have had any relationships at all. 

Edited by Sasha
2 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Christmas in July.  How big of a thing is that really?  Do most people celebrate twice a year?

haha no! They put up quite few trees in the CBD last year but no one falls for it!

In New South Wales the Blue Mountains (tourist destination) get really cold in July so they try to market the whole Christmas in July thing there. It's half hearted though! Like they make you a snowman with ice cream for your dessert at the restaurant, serve you a big roast etc. It's nothing like real Christmas! 

• Love 1

The Aussies at my work brought a whole spread in on Australia Day a few weeks ago, so I tried a Vegemite sandwich for the first time. I liked it. Yes, the problem with Americans trying it is that they slather it on like peanut butter.

I like Pop Tarts but I also never toast them. Straight out of the package is the way to go.

Where did you hear that Americans don't rinse after brushing? I've never heard of that.

• Love 1
Just now, kariyaki said:

Where did you hear that Americans don't rinse after brushing? I've never heard of that.

I keep seeing it on TV! They spit and then that's it!

One notable scene was in Chuck, where Chuck did not rinse and Sarah did (Yvonne Strahovski was raised in Australia). So I got the impression you guys didn't rinse your toothpaste out! 

I think the no rinsing is a tv/movie thing. I don't know anyone that doesn't rinse after brushing.

I don't drink Dr. Pepper that often but diet Dr. Pepper is the only diet drink that tastes like the regular one. 

As for tea, the only hot tea I drink is green tea, I go more for iced tea. When we went it Japan my mom bought some tea/coffee thing that heats water up in like 2 seconds. She loves using that. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

For Person of Interest and/or Jim Caviezel fans...

Jim Caviezel To Topline CBS’ Navy SEAL Drama Pilot
by Nellie Andreeva •  March 14, 2017 11:45am
http://deadline.com/2017/03/jim-caviezel-star-cbs-navy-seal-drama-pilot-1202043184/

Written by Cavell and directed by Chulack, the project follows the lives of the elite Navy SEALs as they train, plan and execute the most dangerous, high-stakes missions our country can ask. Caviezel will play Jason, the respected, committed leader of his assault team who’s been through more than a dozen deployments.

Other TV pilot casting news here: 
http://www.spoilertv.com/2017/03/the-spoilertv-2017-pilot-casting.html

So with all these differences where is everyone from? I am in Louisville Kentucky, USA. We are famous for race horses and bourbon. We drink sweet iced tea. We say ya'll. We call all soft drinks, Coke. If someone says, "give me a sugar" they mean a kiss. We are extremely friendly and polite. We say hello and thank you to the bus driver. We are not toothless, barefoot hillbillies who marry our cousins. Louisville is like Austin, TX a small blue island surrounded by a red state.

How about everyone else? 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

I think the no rinsing is a tv/movie thing. I don't know anyone that doesn't rinse after brushing.

I have a super fluoride toothpaste called Prevident that you've not supposed rinse or eat or drink anything after brushing so the fluoride can work all night.  You get used to not rising.

For years I kept buying all the many different flavored teas and finally I figured out I really only want the traditional breakfast blends or the Earl Grey types.

Earl Grey is the only black tea I drink.  Stash makes a double bergamot Earl Grey so it's double my mmmmmm.

I'm seriously addicted to cappucinos but a Syrian family who moved here a few months ago serves Lebanese coffee with cardomon in the traditional way of boiling it three times and I like it so much, I bought some to make at home.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

We have Din Tai Fung here in the US, but only in California and one in Seattle. I haven't been to one yet because the lines are always crazy long, and I have a feeling they won't be as good as the ones in Asia anyway

23 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I have a super fluoride toothpaste called Prevident that you've not supposed rinse or eat or drink anything after brushing so the fluoride can work all night.  You get used to not rising.

If your using fluoride toothpaste then it makes sense not to rinse. Do you rinse if you use regular toothpaste? Which I assume the television and movie characters are using. 

Just now, lemotomato said:

We have Din Tai Fung here in the US, but only in California and one in Seattle. I haven't been to one yet because the lines are always crazy long, and I have a feeling they won't be as good as the ones in Asia anyway

The one in Sydney is pretty authentic but much cleaner than the normal dumpling places so it's a nice place to dine. 

They opened a Tim Ho Wan (yum cha place that started out in HK) and everyone queued up and went nuts when it first opened. Now people just complain it's overpriced! I find the famous pork buns way too sweet. 

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

If your using fluoride toothpaste then it makes sense not to rinse. Do you rinse if you use regular toothpaste? Which I assume the television and movie characters are using. 

It's the only one i use. But when I used regular toothpaste I did rinse.

What bugs me is that TV and movie characters sleep and wake with perfect makeup and never have to go to the bathroom.

• Love 1

I love it when the movie or show takes place in high school and all the kids look like they sat in a make up chair and had their hair styled before school. Or even better when they look like that and leisurely have coffee and chat then say they have to get to school. Does their school start at 11am? I'd be lucky to have an hour to get ready for school. 

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

Does their school start at 11am? I'd be lucky to have an hour to get ready for school. 

Seriously. When I was in high school, the bell rang at 7:10 - I had to be up at 5:30 at the latest to get there on time. 

20 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

I can understand it being an issue near the coasts, but it's hard to put my normal vision of a very dry land next to the idea that the water table is too high to build basements.  

You might be surprised how cool a basement can actually be in the summer.  Even our walk out basement where only the back half is even technically underground is always much cooler than the fully above ground part of the house.  I get wanting the lovely breezes and that basements can be too damp if you don't have the right system set up, but there are days in the summer when I open the windows to let the air conditioning out because it's just soooo cold in the basement.  (While barely being tolerable in the rest of the house)

My basement was perfect,  warmest in the winter,  coldest in the summer.   After I sold I actually got a terrace level because of that. 

15 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

They are truly terribly sweet and as an adult i have very fond memories of them but they are completely disgusting now. 

1 hour ago, Sasha said:

So with all these differences where is everyone from? I am in Louisville Kentucky, USA. We are famous for race horses and bourbon. We drink sweet iced tea. We say ya'll. We call all soft drinks, Coke. If someone says, "give me a sugar" they mean a kiss. We are extremely friendly and polite. We say hello and thank you to the bus driver. We are not toothless, barefoot hillbillies who marry our cousins. Louisville is like Austin, TX a small blue island surrounded by a red state.

How about everyone else? 

Maryland,  five minutes out from dc.   And it's true,  we like old bay and seafood.   We're busy people near me,  being so close to the district,  and not the nicest,  polite about it though.   We're a blue state wrapped up in three other mostly blue states.  Good times. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

I keep seeing it on TV! They spit and then that's it!

One notable scene was in Chuck, where Chuck did not rinse and Sarah did (Yvonne Strahovski was raised in Australia). So I got the impression you guys didn't rinse your toothpaste out! 

It's like doors on TV.  80% of the time no one ever shuts doors.  Screen doors, car doors, front doors.  Unless they specifically need a door to shut, it just sits there open and drives me nuts.  

1 hour ago, Sasha said:

How about everyone else? 

MN is known for the "Minnesota Nice" which means also very friendly and polite but good luck getting invited to anyone's home or included in their inner friends circle, lol.  Most of the state does NOT sound like the people on Fargo.  The Twin Cities rival New York in theaters if you adjust for population.  The state has been a blue state longer than any other state. Only state not to vote for Reagan.  Soft drinks are pop.  The State Fair would be the highest attended fair in the country every year but Texas "cheats" and has theirs open for twice as long, lol.  I bring up the State Fair because I'm pretty sure half of the people that go are just going for the cheese curds.  So, sooooo good. (Ok, maybe the corndogs and the Sweet Martha's cookies too)  Yes it gets very cold here but in the last decade you guys on the East Coast have been getting waaaay more snow than we do.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 3

Sydney, home of exorbitant  (and still rising) house prices where people seem to buy property as a hobby.

We're a friendly easygoing bunch with lots of great restaurants, fabulous produce and some of the best beaches in the world I reckon!

@BkWurm1 what do cheese curds taste like?

2 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

I love it when the movie or show takes place in high school and all the kids look like they sat in a make up chair and had their hair styled before school. Or even better when they look like that and leisurely have coffee and chat then say they have to get to school. Does their school start at 11am? I'd be lucky to have an hour to get ready for school. 

My high school started at 9am. Senior year, I had a free first period and didn't have to be there until 10. And then had varsity swimming for last period, so I only had to be at school for about 4 1/2 hours.

As long as we're talking culture clashes. The metric system! I spent this winter in the UK for work and while they still (blessedly) used feet and miles, every time somebody told me something was such-and-such kilograms, cue the blank look on my face.

• Love 2

Chicago, Illinois, pronounced without the "s" at the end.  We are protective of our pizza and well pretty much all our food.  We also call soft drinks pop. We are not called the "Windy city" because of our weather, that name came about from our long winded politicians (although the wind can knock you over). We love St. Patrick's Day and dye the entire river green just for that week. It's called the Sears tower no matter what name is in front of it. And the rest of IL might as well be a different state. 

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

My high school started at 9am. Senior year, I had a free first period and didn't have to be there until 10. And then had varsity swimming for last period, so I only had to be at school for about 4 1/2 hours.

Ha, I didn't get schedules that good until college! My high school was 7:50-3:10, not even counting sports practices before/after school, making it more like 5:30-4:30.

11 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

I need to whinge guys! I was on a morning flight and they flew half way to the destination before returning to Sydney due to "issues"! Now I'm stuck at the airport waiting for a late evening flight! Gahhhhhhhhhhh

That's terrible! Airports are the worst. (I say that as a pilot's daughter.)

Los Angeles, CA here. Grew up in TX and went to UT Austin so I will forever miss TexMex and the Central Time Zone because staying up until 11 to watch TV is for young people. LA is fun, diverse, vain, and expensive, and yes, the traffic really is that bad all the time. 

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Is the food healthy @calliope1975?

I keep hearing it's all healthy. 

I wouldn't mind being stuck at Singapore Changi Airport because it's awesome but Sydney airport is the pits!

Nah, or maybe that's just me. I mean, it can be, and there are lots of healthy eateries out here, but I'm the person who does a 10 pm Del Taco run for some greasy fast food. Juicing is pretty big out here, though. And vaping. I'd forgotten people still smoked real cigarettes until I went to NYC because I only see people vaping. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

@BkWurm1 what do cheese curds taste like?

I should specify deep fried cheese curds though fresh, plain curds have their own novelty.  (They squeak when you bite into them)

But the deep fired ones are little irregular blobs of hot, stretchy, melted cheese encased in a light crispy batter that fills your mouth with a rush of warm salty, savory slightly greasy goodness.    

2 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I should specify deep fried cheese curds though fresh, plain curds have their own novelty.  (They squeak when you bite into them)

But the deep fired ones are little irregular blobs of hot, stretchy, melted cheese encased in a light crispy batter that fills your mouth with a rush of warm salty, savory slightly greasy goodness.    

Mmmmm I'm hungry and I've just eaten Maccas for the first time in years!  ugh airport food!

I need someone to release an Olicity spoiler right now so I can entertain myself. 

• Love 1